Quote Originally Posted by NinersSBChamps View Post
I have always valued guys like Segura who have speed and a great contact rate. He isn’t going mash and drive in a ton of runs, but I love those types of players. It’s difficult to quantify which player is better between Segura and Josh D because they bring different things to the table. Segura is a table setter and Josh is the one who clears it. I like my eyes and watching baseball. I know that isn’t preferred anymore which makes me wonder why are games actually played in this day and age of genius fans and statistics which tell us EVERYTHING.
1) You personal preference on what types of players you enjoy watching is fine. I completely understand the aesthetic to those types of players.

2) It's not difficult to quantify which player is better between those who have a different style of playing

3) Games are played because these players still have to actually perform

The disconnect here is that there is a difference between what some fans enjoy watching and what actually wins baseball games. Contact and speed is pretty and exciting. Sometimes those players don't do **** for you offensively (Juan Pierre) and sometimes they do (Ichiro). Sometimes high strikeout mashers are an absolute black hole (recent Chris Davis seasons) and sometimes they can carry an offense (Adam Dunn most of his career). That's the beauty of advanced stats. They take the aesthetics and your personal feelings out and just give you raw performance. And that performance is what fuels teams to victory.