Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bench

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,537 Posts

Bench

The Donaldson signing has implications for the bench. Right now we have a catcher, Camargo and Culberson. I think ideally the fourth guy gives you a lefty bat and positional versatility. Someone from the cast of characters we have been discussing: Dietrich, Walker, Lamb, Solarte, Spangenberg.

It now makes less sense to hold on to Duval.

Presumably Camargo will play some outfield.
    "I am a victim, I will tell you. I am a victim."

"I am your retribution."

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,493 Posts
    I'm good if you dump Duvall...just not a fit on this team.

Dietrich or Solarte would be my picks
    Get off my lawn!

Voted Worst Poster
    '13, '14, '15 (Co-Winner)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,831 Posts
    I'd probably get Neil Walker, can play all over the infield. Shouldnt cost an absurd amount.

Arbitration Eligible
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    773 Posts
    Yeah one of the things that I really like about this deal is that it could take us from having an awful bench to a really really good bench. I think my ideal fit would be Jake Lamb. If we could get him cheaply or attach him to a Peralta deal... man that is a scary group of hitters that we'd have.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,537 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BeanieAntics View Post
    Yeah one of the things that I really like about this deal is that it could take us from having an awful bench to a really really good bench. I think my ideal fit would be Jake Lamb. If we could get him cheaply or attach him to a Peralta deal... man that is a scary group of hitters that we'd have.
    with Donaldson on board I think now we have a slightly higher need for that fourth bench guy to be able to fill in for the outfielders

Arbitration Eligible Freshmaker's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    522 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nsacpi View Post
    with Donaldson on board I think now we have a slightly higher need for that fourth bench guy to be able to fill in for the outfielders
    Josh Harrison comes to mind. Had a rough year at the plate last year, but was pretty decent in 2017. Decent OBP guy and can play 2B, 3B and OF

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,537 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Freshmaker View Post
    Josh Harrison comes to mind. Had a rough year at the plate last year, but was pretty decent in 2017. Decent OBP guy and can play 2B, 3B and OF
    he's a RHH

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,128 Posts
    The bench bat will bat opposite hand from the cOF who is signed next.

Culberson is not a bench bat. He is a backup SS. I’m sure AA understands this.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,701 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
    The bench bat will bat opposite hand from the cOF who is signed next.

Culberson is not a bench bat. He is a backup SS. I’m sure AA understands this.
    With us signing donaldson, does Camargo become back up SS and culberson let go?

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,128 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by msstate7 View Post
    With us signing donaldson, does Camargo become back up SS and culberson let go?
    I'd be shocked if Culberson isn't on the team opening day.

But who knows...we also thought the infield was set.

Gwinnett Bound
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    118 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
    I'd be shocked if Culberson isn't on the team opening day.

But who knows...we also thought the infield was set.
    No doubt in my mind that Culberson is on the team opening day. I think AA knew something when he got Culberson as a throw in piece last year in the Kemp trade.

I think Camargo is a trade piece now. Camargo fits the young controllable mlb ready talent description that teams look for in trades.
    In this thread there are several free agent utility infielder options discussed. Replacing Camargo is very doable.

I think the Braves sign Cutch then resign Nick on a one year deal as the 4th OF / PH No one is going to pay Nick 11 million per year for multiple years. I think at best Nick gets 6 million per year for two years. There is nothing to suggest that Nick cant put together another year consistent with the last four. Nick might give us a hometown discount because staying with the Braves lets him end his career with a winning team.

I’ve been using 55 million as my spending number. If you could get Cutch / Nick for 20 plus the 25 for Mac / Donaldson that would leave 10 million to round out the pitching staff.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,701 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by JxnMissFan View Post
    No doubt in my mind that Culberson is on the team opening day. I think AA knew something when he got Culberson as a throw in piece last year in the Kemp trade.

I think Camargo is a trade piece now. Camargo fits the young controllable mlb ready talent description that teams look for in trades.
    In this thread there are several free agent utility infielder options discussed. Replacing Camargo is very doable.

I think the Braves sign Cutch then resign Nick on a one year deal as the 4th OF / PH No one is going to pay Nick 11 million per year for multiple years. I think at best Nick gets 6 million per year for two years. There is nothing to suggest that Nick cant put together another year consistent with the last four. Nick might give us a hometown discount because staying with the Braves lets him end his career with a winning team.

I’ve been using 55 million as my spending number. If you could get Cutch / Nick for 20 plus the 25 for Mac / Donaldson that would leave 10 million to round out the pitching staff.
    Riley your insurance for JD?

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,151 Posts
    I'm not against trading Camargo if it improves the team, but I don't think that the Braves are intending to move him.

I think his use will be like everyone has said and like many of us have suggested for a long while: as a quality utility player that strengthens the Braves' bench.

But if he's the difference in obtaining an elite pitcher with some control or an elite OF with control, etc, then you'd have to consider it. Particularly if he doesn't like his new role. Keep in mind this is the second time the front office has signed over him with former star.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Southcack77 For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (11-27-2018)

Gwinnett Bound
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    118 Posts
    Riley your insurance for JD?
    No I’m keeping Ryan Flahrety on speed dial.

Seriously about Riley. He essentially spend all last year in AAA and put up good numbers for his age. If he is the real thing he should ready by mid season to move up if needed.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to JxnMissFan For This Useful Post:

buck75 (11-27-2018)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,493 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by JxnMissFan View Post
    No I’m keeping Ryan Flahrety on speed dial.

Seriously about Riley. He essentially spend all last year in AAA and put up good numbers for his age. If he is the real thing he should ready by mid season to move up if needed.
    But there will be no spot for him mid-way through the season unless Donaldson is injured. I'm not bringing him up to come off the bench or only start 1 or 2 games a week.
    Get off my lawn!

18. The Following User Says Thank You to bravesfanforlife88 For This Useful Post:

JohnAdcox (11-27-2018)

Arbitration Eligible
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    773 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Southcack77 View Post
    I'm not against trading Camargo if it improves the team, but I don't think that the Braves are intending to move him.

I think his use will be like everyone has said and like many of us have suggested for a long while: as a quality utility player that strengthens the Braves' bench.

But if he's the difference in obtaining an elite pitcher with some control or an elite OF with control, etc, then you'd have to consider it. Particularly if he doesn't like his new role. Keep in mind this is the second time the front office has signed over him with former star.
    The front office needs to have a sit down with Camargo and explain that he is still going to get around 500 plate appearances, they'll just come from different positions.

They should also explain that proving he is a versatile player helps his value tremendously.

Voted Worst Poster
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,831 Posts
    Trading Camargo would not be smart. Our bench was a huge weakness last year.

Right now it's FlowMac, Culberson and Camargo.

I think adding Donaldson, LF'er, Mac, with Camargo off the bench > adding Ramos/Grandal/JT, LF'er, and ? off the bench. Also wouldnt bring Nick back, he had a great year but he was dreadful in the 2nd half. Unless Nick signed to be a 4th outfielder, then sure but i doubt that.

Also if Dansby keeps struggling with the bat, who is to say Camargo wont be the starting SS?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,701 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Heyward View Post
    Trading Camargo would not be smart. Our bench was a huge weakness last year.

Right now it's FlowMac, Culberson and Camargo.

I think adding Donaldson, LF'er, Mac, with Camargo off the bench > adding Ramos/Grandal/JT, LF'er, and ? off the bench. Also wouldnt bring Nick back, he had a great year but he was dreadful in the 2nd half. Unless Nick signed to be a 4th outfielder, then sure but i doubt that.

Also if Dansby keeps struggling with the bat, who is to say Camargo wont be the starting SS?
    I don't think Camargo will be the starting SS. I think AA values defense too much

Voted Worst Poster
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,831 Posts
    I don't think Camargo will be the starting SS. I think AA values defense too much
    I think so too, but if Dansby keeps struggling with the bat, it's not that obscene.

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,363 Posts
    Dansby will have a monster year. Book it.
    Coppy

24. The Following User Says Thank You to bravesfanMatt For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (11-27-2018)