"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts

Sickels Let Go

By Vox Media.

Tweeted 50 minutes ago.

Polarizing for some around here, but he's still been a pretty good resource over the years whether you like him or not.
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,353 Posts
    Got nontendered
    Coppy

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bravesfanMatt For This Useful Post:

CJ9 (11-30-2018), clvclv (11-30-2018)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,709 Posts
    Sickels is about as controversial as a ham sandwich. One person just get sand in their vagina if people dont think exactly the same as they do.

I had no idea he worked for Vox in any capacity. I thought he owned and operated the site. Still one of the best at what he does.
    Last edited by cajunrevenge; 11-30-2018 at 09:44 AM.
    "Donald Trump will serve a second term as president of the United States.

It’s over."

Little Thethe Nov 19, 2020.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,360 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cajunrevenge View Post
    Sickels is about as controversial as a ham sandwich. One person just get sand in their vagina if people dont think exactly the same as they do.

I had no idea he worked for Vox in any capacity. I thought he owned and operated the site. Still one of the best at what he does.
    his "i'm ranking allard this high due to nothing but my intuition" is still incredibly stupid. it doesn't disqualify everything he's ever said or done, but it's objectively a terrible "process" (it's not really a process).
    "Well, you’ll learn soon enough that this was a massive red wave landslide." - thethe on the 2020 election that trump lost bigly

“I can’t fix my life, but I can fix the world.” - sturg

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,108 Posts
    If he’s so great he wouldn’t have been cut loose. He’s just not very good, as I’ve said numerous times.

Arbitration Eligible
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    773 Posts
    I actually though Sickels working for an organization that has produced guys like Carlos Maza was pretty appropriate.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,274 Posts
    That’s sad to hear. I’m sure these online prospect guys don’t make much and I can’t imagine there’s a ton of opportunity for someone like him (I agree with the consensus here that Sickels isn’t very good).

Hope the best for him.

Swallowed by Mark Bowman
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,269 Posts
    Sickels was invaluable 15-20 years ago when there just weren't a lot of publicly available prospect guys writing on the internet - I actually interviewed him for a piece I did when I was interning at MLB.com. Sickels was one of the few people who could fill you in on, say, the 17th best prospect in your favorite team's system, and if you didn't want to pay for BA or wait for the BPro annual he was basically the only option for that.

Time punishes us all, internet-based baseball writers perhaps more than most - there was a time where Rob Neyer was THE cutting edge of stats-based baseball writing, for example. And Sickels famously had health issues. He hasn't provided anything unique in years, but the legacy means this is still a little sad - it'll be the same way when Gammons hangs it up, I suspect.

10. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to MadduxFanII For This Useful Post:

50PoundHead (12-03-2018), clvclv (12-02-2018), gamecock4braves (12-02-2018), jpx7 (12-02-2018), Krgrecw (12-02-2018), mqt (12-02-2018), Runnin (12-03-2018)

**NOT ACTUALLY RACIST
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    440 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MadduxFanII View Post
    Sickels was invaluable 15-20 years ago when there just weren't a lot of publicly available prospect guys writing on the internet - I actually interviewed him for a piece I did when I was interning at MLB.com. Sickels was one of the few people who could fill you in on, say, the 17th best prospect in your favorite team's system, and if you didn't want to pay for BA or wait for the BPro annual he was basically the only option for that.

Time punishes us all, internet-based baseball writers perhaps more than most - there was a time where Rob Neyer was THE cutting edge of stats-based baseball writing, for example. And Sickels famously had health issues. He hasn't provided anything unique in years, but the legacy means this is still a little sad - it'll be the same way when Gammons hangs it up, I suspect.
    That’s a good synopsis on Sickels. When I used to be hard into fantasy baseball, he was really the only free site worth a damn about prospects that went deeper than just the top 100 prospect lists. Although He banned me from his site over a decade ago (i’ve been read only) I still go there because I trust him more than the any of the fangraphs of the world.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    526 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MadduxFanII View Post

The thing that is invaluable about Sickels is that he built a very loyal following, which in turn has built a great community who interact daily through minor league game day posts.

Sickels isn't just some dope with a blog. He's actually a well respected journalist for decades now. He previously worked for ESPN years ago before branching off on his own and being absorbed by a larger company.

The unfortunate issue now is that there are so many amateur prospect writer's out there who are his direct competition. More than ever. So it's hard for him to monetize what he does. He used to release a prospect guide annually.

10 yr, $185 million Extension
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    853 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by NYCBrave View Post
    The thing that is invaluable about Sickels is that he built a very loyal following, which in turn has built a great community who interact daily through minor league game day posts.

Sickels isn't just some dope with a blog. He's actually a well respected journalist for decades now. He previously worked for ESPN years ago before branching off on his own and being absorbed by a larger company.

The unfortunate issue now is that there are so many amateur prospect writer's out there who are his direct competition. More than ever. So it's hard for him to monetize what he does. He used to release a prospect guide annually.
    Yeah, Sickels just got edged out by the baseball world around him. He didn’t get worse at what he did, but you can get in-depth reports for free from Fangraphs, and each team has a plethora of profiles on every minor leaguer of note in the system. A brief blurb about each prospect just isn’t valuable in that landscape.