Page 4 of 92 FirstFirst ... 234561454 ... LastLast

Thread: 2019 MLB Draft Thread

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,881 Posts
    I wouldn’t mind Matt Wallner at all. He was getting too 5 buzz.
    Ivermectin Man

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,533 Posts
    Latest BA mock has us taking Stott and Goss.
    "I am a victim, I will tell you. I am a victim."

"I am your retribution."

Arbitration Eligible
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    773 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Tapate50 View Post
    I wouldn’t mind Matt Wallner at all. He was getting too 5 buzz.
    Wallner has had a bit of a tough year this year unfortunately. He's still been pretty good, but it wouldn't surprise me if his stock has dropped a little bit.

10 yr, $185 million Extension
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,477 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nsacpi View Post
    Latest BA mock has us taking Stott and Goss.
    College bat at 9, high schooler at 21. Works for me.

That BA writeup also mentioned that the Braves front office has seen Corbin Carroll a lot this spring. I’d be more than happy with him at 9.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,881 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CJ9 View Post
    College bat at 9, high schooler at 21. Works for me.

That BA writeup also mentioned that the Braves front office has seen Corbin Carroll a lot this spring. I’d be more than happy with him at 9.
    Works for me as well. I’d approve
    Ivermectin Man

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,477 Posts
    Fangraphs board updated: https://www.fangraphs.com/prospects/...pe=0&pagenum=0.

Bleday up to 6. They do have nine prospects who grade out as 50 or higher, so we're obviously in a good spot to get one.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,108 Posts
    Fangraphs board updated: https://www.fangraphs.com/prospects/...pe=0&pagenum=0.

Bleday up to 6. They do have nine prospects who grade out as 50 or higher, so we're obviously in a good spot to get one.
    He's the kind of helium guy I was hoping would present himself and be a good target for a slot (or over) deal at 9.

From what I understand, the Marlins are going to take the 1B-only bat at 2, and hopefully there is a clear top guy remaining that the Braves can finagle down to 9.

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    I think what might turn out to be more interesting in the overall scheme of things is where we go in the Second Round. Kyle Stowers has dropped to #62 on The Board, and Rece Hinds has slid all the way to #52.

Kinda wonder if AA might try to slide two guys and take Senior signs with the rest of the picks.
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,150 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by clvclv View Post
    I think what might turn out to be more interesting in the overall scheme of things is where we go in the Second Round. Kyle Stowers has dropped to #62 on The Board, and Rece Hinds has slid all the way to #52.

Kinda wonder if AA might try to slide two guys and take Senior signs with the rest of the picks.

The Braves aren't really in command of the market. Not sure they are in a position to dictate where guys fall given how many clubs have more money or a similar amount of money. Might just be in a position of waiting to see who falls to them and going from there.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,477 Posts
    Fangraphs mock draft of the top 10 picks: https://blogs.fangraphs.com/mock-draft-1-0-the-top-ten/

9. Braves – Hunter Bishop, LF, Arizona State
    This pick is compensation for not signing Carter Stewart last year, and he projects to go much later this year, so the Braves appear to have come out ahead in the exchange. This pick also isn’t protected if Atlanta doesn’t sign whoever they take, so a tough sign likely isn’t an option. It appears Atlanta would take Abrams or Witt if they get here, and they’ve been scouting Lodolo, Bleday, and Bishop as primary options, with a good chance one of them gets to this pick. It’s unclear if the other prospects on the board at this point excite them, in the event that Texas takes Bishop and all the players Atlanta has been tied to are off the board.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,150 Posts
    Fangraphs mock draft of the top 10 picks: https://blogs.fangraphs.com/mock-draft-1-0-the-top-ten/

This pick is compensation for not signing Carter Stewart last year, and he projects to go much later this year, so the Braves appear to have come out ahead in the exchange. This pick also isn’t protected if Atlanta doesn’t sign whoever they take, so a tough sign likely isn’t an option. It appears Atlanta would take Abrams or Witt if they get here, and they’ve been scouting Lodolo, Bleday, and Bishop as primary options, with a good chance one of them gets to this pick. It’s unclear if the other prospects on the board at this point excite them, in the event that Texas takes Bishop and all the players Atlanta has been tied to are off the board.
    For me, following the draft is all about finding a good narrative to feel good about.

Bishop is definitely one you can develop a narrative for.

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,353 Posts
    The unprotected pick is something I didn’t think about. Agents know this and it probably has a lot to do with us not going after any QO. Our 9th pick will want max dollar and know the Braves don’t have great leverage to counter.
    Coppy

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,477 Posts
    I'd be fine with any of the top 7 of that mock, plus Bishop or Corbin Carroll. As long as we get one of those nine, I'm thrilled with that. Add in a chance to go with a high dollar high schooler at 21, and it'd be a great set up.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,150 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bravesfanMatt View Post
    The unprotected pick is something I didn’t think about. Agents know this and it probably has a lot to do with us not going after any QO. Our 9th pick will want max dollar and know the Braves don’t have great leverage to counter.
    A college junior would not have much leverage himself so that would make a lot of sense.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,044 Posts
    Bishop is interesting. There was nothing to suggest he was very good before this year, but he came out all kinds of blazing to start the year and has apparently changed his swing and approach in a big way.

He hasn't been as in Pac-12 play, but that's probably to be expected. He seems to have enough athleticism that you would think he could become at least an average defensive LF, and if you project Pache and Acuna beside him, it doesn't seem as important.

If the Braves believe his offensive improvement is fully real, he'd be a heck of a pickup at 9 that could potentially get through the system pretty quickly.
    "Acuna is getting lucky, just like CJ did when he batted .321 and won a batting title. He is unlikely to get lucky at the MLB level over an extended period of time. He will settle in around .300-.320 just like everyone else, and when he does, he won't be within shouting distance of the 1.000 OPS he is posting in AAA...more like low .700s in 2018." -Enscheff 8/25/17

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,108 Posts

Based on nothing but reading internet blurbs, I hope the Reds try to be tricky and go under slot at 7 so Bleday falls to the Braves at 9. He seems to be more athletic than Bishop.

It seems the Braves are unlikely to play games at 9 where they try to get a kid to drop to them by offering over slot money and risk losing the pick altogether. The over slot pick is more likely to be at 21 using some of the money from pick 9 and/or 60...I'm thinking someone like prep arm Mathew Allan or Brennan Malone.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,477 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
    Based on nothing but reading internet blurbs, I hope the Reds try to be tricky and go under slot at 7 so Bleday falls to the Braves at 9. He seems to be more athletic than Bishop.

It seems the Braves are unlikely to play games at 9 where they try to get a kid to drop to them by offering over slot money and risk losing the pick altogether. The over slot pick is more likely to be at 21 using some of the money from pick 9 and/or 60...I'm thinking someone like prep arm Mathew Allan or Brennan Malone.
    No question, Bleday is the ideal guy. Just don't think it happens with the monster season he's having. Unfortunate timing for us.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,044 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post

I prefer Bleday as well based on track record and competition, but I'm not sure he's more athletic. I know you can't just look at SB and determine that, but Bleday has attempted 5 in his college career (0 this year) and has been successful twice. Bishop does have 11 this year on 17 attempts. Bishop has GIDP more, though.
    "Acuna is getting lucky, just like CJ did when he batted .321 and won a batting title. He is unlikely to get lucky at the MLB level over an extended period of time. He will settle in around .300-.320 just like everyone else, and when he does, he won't be within shouting distance of the 1.000 OPS he is posting in AAA...more like low .700s in 2018." -Enscheff 8/25/17

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,975 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bravesfanMatt View Post
    Which is likely why we'll go with a college senior or a prep player that we think is an easy sign and then take an overslot guy at 21. Abrams is probably the hope, but I would bet on Espino or Malone of I were a betting man.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,967 Posts
    From what I always thought and read in the past few weeks, Bishop is big, but kind of a freak athlete for his size