Page 23 of 92 FirstFirst ... 1321222324253373 ... LastLast

Thread: 2019 MLB Draft Thread

10 yr, $185 million Extension
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,477 Posts
    Perfect Game's latest mock draft: https://www.perfectgame.org/Articles...?article=16353

9. Atlanta Braves | Shea Langeliers, c, Baylor
    Langeliers’ draft stock has seemingly bounced all the way back up to where it was in the preseason, as he’s established that he’s healthy after a hand injury early on. The Braves seem to be tied mostly to bats, but with Bishop gone this may be the guy for them.

21. Atlanta Braves | Brett Baty, 3b, Lake Travis HS (Texas)
    There’s a chance that Baty will end up a first baseman long term, but his offensive profile is among the best in the country with an advanced hit tool from the left side to go with plus raw power, which could get even better eventually as well.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to CJ9 For This Useful Post:

50PoundHead (05-23-2019)

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,353 Posts
    I am glad the team is playing well because I sense a huge disappointment coming from this draft.
    Coppy

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mqt View Post
    At this point maybe just keep the pool money and sign Kimbrel in 2 weeks if you must. I don’t think 5 Kimbrel appearances is worth the chance to go way overslot and get a premium prospect.
    Certainly not at this point.

The biggest concern arises when people look back with 20-20 hindsight 5 years from now if we miss the playoffs by a game or 2 because the pen squanders a couple more games before he's signed (and the #60 pick is still flailing away in Rome) that they're able to pin things on AA and the strategy. If people can look back and say "You could've signed Kimbrel before the season started and you wouldn't have blown 6-8 games early on but instead got some organizational filler with $1.2 million, missing the playoffs is on YOU rather than Minter/Jackson/etc.." and have a pretty good argument, well...
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

Voted Worst Poster
    '13, '14, '15 (Co-Winner)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,831 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by clvclv View Post

The biggest concern arises when people look back with 20-20 hindsight 5 years from now if we miss the playoffs by a game or 2 because the pen squanders a couple more games before he's signed (and the #60 pick is still flailing away in Rome) that they're able to pin things on AA and the strategy. If people can look back and say "You could've signed Kimbrel before the season started and you wouldn't have blown 6-8 games early on but instead got some organizational filler with $1.2 million, missing the playoffs is on YOU rather than Minter/Jackson/etc.." and have a pretty good argument, well...
    It is true, the Braves have lost 6-8 games they probably should have won but they've also won some games they should have lost.

AA is treating this year like a gravy year, not pushing his chips all in like the Mets, Phils did, or sign some guys for huge money like the Nats. He's setting this team up for long-term success, he's not thinking about THIS year only.

I do hope we sign Kimbrel but having two 1sts, and another 2nd is pretty important given our international penalties.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,360 Posts

somehow still not understanding...
    "Well, you’ll learn soon enough that this was a massive red wave landslide." - thethe on the 2020 election that trump lost bigly

“I can’t fix my life, but I can fix the world.” - sturg

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,360 Posts
    WHAT IF the Braves signed Kimbrel early on and couldn't float money to a premium prospect in both spots in the 1st round. one of the guys they would've drafted quickly becomes a 7 WAR monster, and kimbrel only saved a couple of the blown games and the braves won the division by 6 games anyway. then what will we say??
    "Well, you’ll learn soon enough that this was a massive red wave landslide." - thethe on the 2020 election that trump lost bigly

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Super View Post
    somehow still not understanding...
    The problem with some of you is you can't grasp the difference between "understanding" and "disagreeing".

Hate to bust several bubbles, but you guys ain't rocket scientists - the fact that some people don't subscribe to your opinion has nothing to do with whether they understand what you're saying.
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,941 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CJ9 View Post
    Perfect Game's latest mock draft: https://www.perfectgame.org/Articles...?article=16353

9. Atlanta Braves | Shea Langeliers, c, Baylor
    Langeliers’ draft stock has seemingly bounced all the way back up to where it was in the preseason, as he’s established that he’s healthy after a hand injury early on. The Braves seem to be tied mostly to bats, but with Bishop gone this may be the guy for them.

21. Atlanta Braves | Brett Baty, 3b, Lake Travis HS (Texas)
    There’s a chance that Baty will end up a first baseman long term, but his offensive profile is among the best in the country with an advanced hit tool from the left side to go with plus raw power, which could get even better eventually as well.
    I really hope they stay away from Langeliers, but there are probably worse scenarios than this one.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,108 Posts
    The problem with some of you is you can't grasp the difference between "understanding" and "disagreeing".

Hate to bust several bubbles, but you guys ain't rocket scientists - the fact that some people don't subscribe to your opinion has nothing to do with whether they understand what you're saying.
    I'm going out on a limb and suggesting that, based on your long posting history, it isn't "everyone else" that is confused or failing to grasp something.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,360 Posts

again. it is not an opinion. you are objectively wrong. the extra $ matters. that’s a fact.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,477 Posts
    New baseball America mock has bishop at 21 and Priester at 21. They also mention Jackson Rutledge and Corbin carroll at 9 as option and Brennan Malone as another option at 21.

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,941 Posts
    New baseball America mock has bishop at 21 and Priester at 21. They also mention Jackson Rutledge and Corbin carroll at 9 as option and Brennan Malone as another option at 21.
    We've broken the time/space continuum with two picks at #21. Seriously, I know what you're saying. MLB has us with JUCO RHP Jackson Rutledge at #9 and Clemson SS Logan Davidson at #21. I could live with Rutledge, but from what I've read about Davidson, I'd stay away from him at #21. He's hitting below .300 and I don't care how tough the competition may be, batting average matters (at least to me) for a guy using an aluminum bat.

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 50PoundHead For This Useful Post:

Jaw (05-24-2019), jpx7 (05-24-2019)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,477 Posts
    Keith Law chat—

Braves at 9. If not hunter bishop, who do you think they would take?

Keith Law
    1:48 Corbin Carroll. Could be a wild-card third name in there, I'll hold that till Tuesday because I'm not that certain.

Law and BA have both mentioned us in with Carroll now. Kiley, however, has not. That concerns me some since I’d imagine Kiley still has many Braves contacts from his time in the organization. Unless they’re all just lying to him to throw him off.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,150 Posts
    Keith Law chat—

Keith Law
    1:48 Corbin Carroll. Could be a wild-card third name in there, I'll hold that till Tuesday because I'm not that certain.

Law and BA have both mentioned us in with Carroll now. Kiley, however, has not. That concerns me some since I’d imagine Kiley still has many Braves contacts from his time in the organization. Unless they’re all just lying to him to throw him off.
    Not much reason to hide who you like at #9.

Very Flirtatious, but Doubts What Love Is. jpx7's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,829 Posts
    From today:

12:26
    D Back fan: Is Corbin Carroll slipping out of top 15?
    12:26
    Kiley McDaniel: Seems likely to get out of the top 10, then the DBacks could buy him to 16 if he doesn’t get there on merit
    Seems Kiley thinks Carrol just isn’t good enough to go #9.
    "For all his tattooings he was on the whole a clean, comely looking cannibal."

Where's My Cup of Coffee?
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    261 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Southcack77 View Post
    Not much reason to hide who you like at #9.
    In this draft particularly, if any of the players predicted to go top 8 dropped we'd probably be happy and just draft them instead.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to auyushu For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (05-24-2019)

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,941 Posts
    The nature of the baseball draft is dramatically different than it is for other sports largely because picks can't be traded in the same way. I think every team has a top-to-bottom list for the first few rounds and have tried to gauge the odds whether certain guys will be there or not. Only tricky part is balancing the guys who think will be there with bonus pool machinations. Does one change their draft strategy markedly if a guy is unexpectedly there when they pick?

PS--Anyone think the Braves will draft Clemson's Grayson Byrd as a lower-budget college senior (he may be a junior eligibility-wise, which would change the math)? He's the son of Paul Byrd and the Braves drafted him in the 39th round out of high school before he headed off to LSU. Transferred to Clemson after red-shirting.
    Last edited by 50PoundHead; 05-24-2019 at 02:48 PM.

21. The Following User Says Thank You to 50PoundHead For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (05-25-2019)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    853 Posts
    Keith Law chat—

Keith Law

I doubt the guys he worked with are in charge of the draft process. AA made some major changes on that front.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,123 Posts
    Kiley might think Carrol isn’t worth a top 10 pick but I’d rather have him than Bishop.

24. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hudson2 For This Useful Post:

Jaw (05-24-2019), Tapate50 (05-24-2019)

Called Up to the Major Leagues SJ24's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    291 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Hudson2 View Post
    Kiley might think Carrol isn’t worth a top 10 pick but I’d rather have him than Bishop.
    Kiley also touted Maitan as the next Miguel Cabrera and he can't get out of A ball.