Page 35 of 92 FirstFirst ... 2533343536374585 ... LastLast

Thread: 2019 MLB Draft Thread

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,123 Posts
    If Abrams is there he won’t get past us at 9.

10 yr, $185 million Extension
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,478 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Hudson2 View Post
    If Abrams is there he won’t get past us at 9.
    There's got to be something going on with him. Medicals, signing bonus, etc. I don't know what it is, but if the 8 teams ahead of us are passing, it's got to be something other than the teams scouting him all suddenly changing their mind on him at the same time right before the draft.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,123 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CJ9 View Post
    There's got to be something going on with him. Medicals, signing bonus, etc. I don't know what it is, but if the 8 teams ahead of us are passing, it's got to be something other than the teams scouting him all suddenly changing their mind on him at the same time right before the draft.
    Unless he’s telling teams that he wants a crazy signing bonus and it’s making him fall. Maybe the Braves are orchestrating it.

Danville Rookie
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    109 Posts
    They have him at 10 to the Giants. Isn’t that were Bridges went?

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Hudson2 View Post
    Unless he’s telling teams that he wants a crazy signing bonus and it’s making him fall. Maybe the Braves are orchestrating it.
    Not sure that makes sense since the teams ahead of us have just as much to spend in most cases and don't have a next pick as high as our second one.

If we were going over slot somewhere, you'd think it'd be at #21 or #60. Of course, if we could get a Top 5 talent to drop to #9, who knows?
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,108 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CJ9 View Post
    Keith Law mock is out, and it's the dream scenario. He has us taking Corbin Carroll at 9 and Quinn Priester at 21.

He says that Carroll and Shea Langeliers are the top targets at 9, "assuming Manoah is off the board" as Law has him 8 to Texas. He says we've cooled on Rutledge and Bishop.

He "really thinks" we go pitcher at 21, even if we take one at 9.
    Something like this makes the most sense unless someone who is clearly BPA falls to 9.

I would hate to see 2 arms taken at 9 and 21, and would be shocked if it happens.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,967 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Heyward View Post
    Demeritte has had an interesting year, not sure if he's legit or not though. But yeah we do need some more hitters in the farm, it's barren once Pache/Waters get called up or traded.
    There may be something to Demeritte's year... certainly there will be regression given his .306 ISO and .350 BABIP. However, he may be able to sustain a higher BABIP with his speed, he has a decent walk rate and his K% is all the way down to 23.9% this year. It actually looks like he's been making adjustments the past 3 years but had fallen into some rotten luck. Dude's still only 24 and was a first round pick. I think TD is a prospect again.

Voted Worst Poster
    '13, '14, '15 (Co-Winner)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,831 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
    Something like this makes the most sense unless someone who is clearly BPA falls to 9.

I would hate to see 2 arms taken at 9 and 21, and would be shocked if it happens.
    Given Pache and Waters seem to be near the bigs in the next 1-2 years, we need a high end position prospect in the system to develop. Not much after those 2.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Heyward For This Useful Post:

cajunrevenge (06-03-2019)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,533 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Heyward View Post
    Given Pache and Waters seem to be near the bigs in the next 1-2 years, we need a high end position prospect in the system to develop. Not much after those 2.
    Not much after those two and Contreras. But when you look at the young talent already in the majors, position players is not an area of need. Not that I think drafting for need makes sense, especially with the early round picks.
    "I am a victim, I will tell you. I am a victim."

"I am your retribution."

Voted Worst Poster
    '13, '14, '15 (Co-Winner)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,831 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nsacpi View Post
    Not much after those two and Contreras. But when you look at the young talent already in the majors, position players is not an area of need. Not that I think drafting for need makes sense, especially with the early round picks.
    Yes but it's all about building up depth for future years.

Yes the Braves have FF (assuming they extend him eventually), Ozzie, Dansby, Riley, and Acuna as position players with hopefully Pache/Waters in that group as well. But can still use a hitter to maybe a use in a trade in future years. Never know. Or keep to develop for depth.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    853 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by clvclv View Post
    Not sure that makes sense since the teams ahead of us have just as much to spend in most cases and don't have a next pick as high as our second one.

If we were going over slot somewhere, you'd think it'd be at #21 or #60. Of course, if we could get a Top 5 talent to drop to #9, who knows?
    If the top 3 are some combination of AR, Witt and Vaughn/Bleday, only the Marlins would really stand in our way. The Diamondbacks are the only other team with a higher bonus pool and pick after us. I’m not saying it’s in any way likely, but the pools of the surrounding teams isn’t quite the obstacle it seems if the top 3 go after others.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,108 Posts
    Fangraphs says we are out on Abrams. I think maybe we are the ones engineering this slide so we can take him.
    It certainly is odd to see a guy who was a clear Top 5 pick suddenly slide to #10 for no particular performance or health reason. If the Braves somehow engineered a top GA prep position prospect sliding to them at 9, that would be a pretty shrewd move to pull off.

I do still feel Carroll is the most underrated guy in the top half of the 1st round though. He is essentially Abrams minus 5 inches of height.

I would be happy with either guy at 9, and an arm like Priester at 21. Admittedly, my preference for Priester is mostly due to me hoping he turns out like Soroka, even though I know very little about him.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Enscheff For This Useful Post:

cajunrevenge (06-03-2019)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,533 Posts
    with the second first round pick we certainly have the means to offer Abrams around 6.5 M in a bid to get him to fall to us...we need his cooperation and the willingness of the teams drafting ahead of us to pass at a higher price
    "I am a victim, I will tell you. I am a victim."

"I am your retribution."

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,108 Posts
    with the second first round pick we certainly have the means to offer Abrams around 6.5 M in a bid to get him to fall to us...we need his cooperation and the willingness of the teams drafting ahead of us to pass at a higher price
    This is one of those times where the "hometown discount" could actually be in play. If this kid wants to stay in the South for his MiLB career, it is plausible he is complicit in orchestrating his fall to #9 while still getting Top 5 cash.

The question becomes whether or not Abrams is enough of an upgrade over Carroll to downgrade the talent selected at 21 as a result? Or perhaps the plan all along has been to go over slot at 9 AND 21, while punting pick 60. That could help explain why the Braves refused to lose that 60th pick when signing FAs.

Called Up to the Major Leagues SJ24's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    291 Posts
    Let me be serious for a moment: if the Braves pull off an Abrams deal, that will simply be incredible.

A hometown, consensus top 5 at a premium position, African-American in Atlanta? And the only real knock is lack of power? With the new baseball?

Sign me up.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,478 Posts
    Final Fangraphs board ranking draft prospects: https://www.fangraphs.com/prospects/...0000&pagenum=0

Carroll up a few spots to 9, Rutledge down about 10 spots. Allan down 5 spots to 20.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,360 Posts
    i think it's a slim chance the Abrams thing is for Atlanta. but if it is then not signing Stewart last year becomes an enormous win.
    "Well, you’ll learn soon enough that this was a massive red wave landslide." - thethe on the 2020 election that trump lost bigly

“I can’t fix my life, but I can fix the world.” - sturg

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    The silence surrounding Langeliers is at least interesting. Tough to have a day like he had in front of a ton of scouts Saturday without having knocked a few of them off the fence.

Clears up any thoughts about getting him at #21 at the very least.
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

Arbitration Eligible
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    773 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by clvclv View Post
    The silence surrounding Langeliers is at least interesting. Tough to have a day like he had in front of a ton of scouts Saturday without having knocked a few of them off the fence.

Clears up any thoughts about getting him at #21 at the very least.
    If scouts change their view of a player based on one really good (or bad) game, then that scout needs to be immediately fired. Especially considering that it came against a team like Omaha (RPI 195) who only got into the tournament by virtue of winning the Summit League. Nothing should change regarding Langeliers.

Mr. Free Trade
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    514 Posts
    Not excited about the possibility of Abrams, especially over slot at the expense of the rest of the draft.

Looks like his skill set profiles as possibly a little better Dee Gordon. How valuable is that?

His best attribute is speed. What does that really mean in MLB in the 21st century? What does that mean on a Braves team that historically doesn’t run?

Sure, speed and athleticism are part of defense and potentially an antedote for defensive shifts. But why doesn’t it play a bigger role today?