Page 6 of 92 FirstFirst ... 456781656 ... LastLast

Thread: 2019 MLB Draft Thread

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,353 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rico43 View Post
    Only signed one highly rated h.s. pitcher last year; got to put arms in the low minors.
    A college pitcher would project to move quicker and not be in lower minors long. A high schooler would take a longer path and thus fill the lower levels longer.
    Coppy

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,150 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bravesfanMatt View Post
    A college pitcher would project to move quicker and not be in lower minors long. A high schooler would take a longer path and thus fill the lower levels longer.

College arm quite possibly would end up in the same generation of arms as Muller, Wentz, Anderson, etc. Not sure that's a major need for the org. Upgrades are always useful, but I have my doubts about Elon producing an ace.

Might make more sense to try and find a high school arm with upside at 21 or the next pick to bring along a little slower and get some separation.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,123 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Carp View Post
    We offered Bryce 3/90 reportedly.

Facial La Fleur! Total facial!

Kimbrel is still a top 3 closer in baseball so 3 years shouldn’t be a deal breaker for anybody. Several things have gone against him and DK. More teams are putting emphasis on the draft and those picks and the luxury tax. If it wouldn’t have cost Boston double they would have resigned him. I don’t see why a 2.5 year for Kimbrel after the draft would be an issue. They’re idiots if they don’t sign him with our bullpen troubles.

Arbitration Eligible
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    773 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Southcack77 View Post
    College arm quite possibly would end up in the same generation of arms as Muller, Wentz, Anderson, etc. Not sure that's a major need for the org. Upgrades are always useful, but I have my doubts about Elon producing an ace.

Might make more sense to try and find a high school arm with upside at 21 or the next pick to bring along a little slower and get some separation.
    Stetson has produced two of the best pitchers in this generation, both Cy Young winners, with Degrom and Kluber. Florida Gulf Coast produced another one with Chris Sale. Small schools produce superstars in baseball all the time.

Superstar caliber players will sign with smaller schools pretty often. Under the radar players will emerge from small schools pretty often as well. I don't know enough about this guy to make a judgement on him, but him playing for Elon wouldn't have much bearing on my opinion.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to BeanieAntics For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (04-24-2019)

Arbitration Eligible
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    773 Posts
    I think we should explore all options towards improving the bullpen. I don't think its Kimbrel or bust. There should be a bunch of high quality relievers available on teams that are in sell mode by the start of June. Most of those guys will likely be available rather cheaply like they were last year. Keone Kela has been pretty bad this year, but last year he was a top notch guy with years of control and the Pirates basically got him for basically two 40 FV guys.

The bullpen sucks right now, but I'm confident that we have the bullets to improve it at some point this season regardless of what happens with Kimbrel.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,150 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BeanieAntics View Post
    Stetson has produced two of the best pitchers in this generation, both Cy Young winners, with Degrom and Kluber. Florida Gulf Coast produced another one with Chris Sale. Small schools produce superstars in baseball all the time.

Superstar caliber players will sign with smaller schools pretty often. Under the radar players will emerge from small schools pretty often as well. I don't know enough about this guy to make a judgement on him, but him playing for Elon wouldn't have much bearing on my opinion.

His stuff is his stuff to some degree, but you won't get a very good read off of the competition. Kirby is a cold weather arm that chose Elon for playing time so he's never really faced the best aside from his relief spint in the Cape Cod league. He was dominant there it seems.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,108 Posts
    Interesting note from Kiley if true:

Kiley McDaniel: And most of the clubs we speak with in the 10 to 20 area are really interested in who we think they have no chance to get, so they can focus resources on the guys they have a shot at.

If teams are truly hitting up the FG guys for info they gather on other teams, then it stands to reason other teams may be feeding them misinformation.

Just an added layer of salt to think about when reading these mock drafts.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Enscheff For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (04-24-2019)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,108 Posts
    If Kiley has any credibility, I think it's safe to assume the Braves are going to get the best college batter available at 9.

12:35
    Greg: Your Braves blurb in the mock was interesting. If you had Bishop to Texas and all the players ATL likes were gone, who would you have mocked to Atlanta?

12:35
    Kiley McDaniel: It would be more of a guess at that point and this is a new director, pretty new regime in general. I’d guess college hitter and tiebreaker would be defensive value (similar to the logic for SFG), so Stott would make the most sense

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Enscheff For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (04-24-2019)

Very Flirtatious, but Doubts What Love Is. jpx7's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,830 Posts
    Also said they had a wider field than most in the top-ten, with that second first-rounder, since they may lean to underslot/overslot if the college players they like are gone (and none of the prep guys at the top slide). That, too, would seem to portend a college player, even if their favorites are off-the-board. Likewise noted a tough-sign at nine is highly unlikely since there’s no next-draft compensation for a pick that’s already compensatory.
    "For all his tattooings he was on the whole a clean, comely looking cannibal."

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,360 Posts
    there should be a 50 FV college hitter available when the braves pick. take him.
    "Well, you’ll learn soon enough that this was a massive red wave landslide." - thethe on the 2020 election that trump lost bigly

“I can’t fix my life, but I can fix the world.” - sturg

Where's My Cup of Coffee?
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    220 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jpx7 View Post
    Also said they had a wider field than most in the top-ten, with that second first-rounder, since they may lean to underslot/overslot if the college players they like are gone (and none of the prep guys at the top slide). That, too, would seem to portend a college player, even if their favorites are off-the-board. Likewise noted a tough-sign at nine is highly unlikely since there’s no next-draft compensation for a pick that’s already compensatory.
    For this reason I think 9 will be a college player. We can take a chance on the next pick.

10 yr, $185 million Extension
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    853 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Super View Post
    there should be a 50 FV college hitter available when the braves pick. take him.
    I would agree unless some of the teams with higher bonus pools decide to get fancy with their picks and leave one of the elite prep bats to us.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to mqt For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (04-25-2019)

NL Rookie of the Year Acuña’s Bat Flip's Avatar
    Gaffney, South Carolina (Home of the Big Butt "Peach" on I-85)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    280 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Super View Post
    I’d be down for that. Hopefully the FO thinks like us.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,477 Posts
    2080baseball isn’t the same credibility as Fangraphs, Baseball America or Pipeline, but I’m dying for anything I can find this time of year. Here’s their new mock: https://2080baseball.com/2019/04/201...mock-draft-v1/

We take Manoah at 9 and Quinn Priester at 21. No thanks on Manoah over Greene, but Priester is exactly our type at 21.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,108 Posts
    I'd be willing to bet the Braves don't pick 2 RHP in the 1st round

20. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Enscheff For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (04-29-2019), Tapate50 (04-29-2019)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,477 Posts
    Fangraphs just updated their draft ranks: https://www.fangraphs.com/prospects/...0000&pagenum=0

Not a ton of changes in the top 10. Still makes sense for us to take whoever is left from the 50s, hopefully Lodolo being gone before our pick.

Also worth noting they moved Priester up to 22.

Anytime Now Frankie...
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    136 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CJ9 View Post
    Fangraphs just updated their draft ranks: https://www.fangraphs.com/prospects/...0000&pagenum=0

Not a ton of changes in the top 10. Still makes sense for us to take whoever is left from the 50s, hopefully Lodolo being gone before our pick.

I'd DEFINITELY take Manoah though! He has a power arm that pounds the zone.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,967 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay212033 View Post
    I'd DEFINITELY take Manoah though! He has a power arm that pounds the zone.
    No thanks... the track record for pitchers that tall is not great

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,967 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CJ9 View Post

Stewart all the way down to 56... glad we didn’t sign him... looking like a good move but should have been investigated more before the pick. Maybe it wasn’t possible though as he was keeping it hush hush

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,477 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by zbhargrove View Post
    Stewart all the way down to 56... glad we didn’t sign him... looking like a good move but should have been investigated more before the pick. Maybe it wasn’t possible though as he was keeping it hush hush
    Frustrating part is that Kiley recently said we likely would’ve taken Nolan Gorman it not Stewart. And Gorman has been a monster since he signed.