Page 5 of 92 FirstFirst ... 345671555 ... LastLast

Thread: 2019 MLB Draft Thread

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,108 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by smootness View Post
    I prefer Bleday as well based on track record and competition, but I'm not sure he's more athletic. I know you can't just look at SB and determine that, but Bleday has attempted 5 in his college career (0 this year) and has been successful twice. Bishop does have 11 this year on 17 attempts. Bishop has GIDP more, though.
    Athletic was the wrong word to use.

Looking at Bishop's 35 arm grade means he is limited to LF or 1B, where Bleday can more likely stick in RF. Of course, perhaps arm strength doesn't matter when Acuna/Pache/Waters will be in the mix for CF/RF.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,150 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Carp View Post
    Which is likely why we'll go with a college senior or a prep player that we think is an easy sign and then take an overslot guy at 21. Abrams is probably the hope, but I would bet on Espino or Malone of I were a betting man.

A prep player is possible. A college junior is possible.

Pretty darn unlikely the ninth pick is a college senior.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,108 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Southcack77 View Post
    A prep player is possible. A college junior is possible.

Pretty darn unlikely the ninth pick is a college senior.
    I'm guessing college junior at 9, over slot prep player at 21, possibly punt 60 for the pool cash. The cash from 60 is required for the draft strategy, which helps explain why a QO was a deal breaker for any FA signing.

I'm also guessing Kimbrel is a Brave immediately after the draft.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Enscheff For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (04-23-2019), smootness (04-23-2019)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,123 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
    I'm guessing college junior at 9, over slot prep player at 21, possibly punt 60 for the pool cash. The cash from 60 is required for the draft strategy, which helps explain why a QO was a deal breaker for any FA signing.

I can’t disagree with any or that. I have a feeling that they already have an agreement in place with Kimbrel but won’t do anything till the day after the draft.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,150 Posts

Sounds good to me. Braves just gonna sign Kimbrell for balance of season or something like 2-3 years?

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,108 Posts
    Sounds good to me. Braves just gonna sign Kimbrell for balance of season or something like 2-3 years?
    I read someone suggest just this season, but who knows anymore with this fiasco.

Maybe the rest of this season for like $13M-$15M plus a $20M option for 2020 with a $3M-$5M buyout? Maybe the rest of this season plus 2020 and an option over 2021?

Pretty sure the Braves won't guarantee through 2021, but there are ways to structure options to make a shorter deal palatable for both sides.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Enscheff For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (04-23-2019)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,044 Posts
    Athletic was the wrong word to use.

Looking at Bishop's 35 arm grade means he is limited to LF or 1B, where Bleday can more likely stick in RF. Of course, perhaps arm strength doesn't matter when Acuna/Pache/Waters will be in the mix for CF/RF.
    Aha, did not realize he had that kind of grade on his arm.
    "Acuna is getting lucky, just like CJ did when he batted .321 and won a batting title. He is unlikely to get lucky at the MLB level over an extended period of time. He will settle in around .300-.320 just like everyone else, and when he does, he won't be within shouting distance of the 1.000 OPS he is posting in AAA...more like low .700s in 2018." -Enscheff 8/25/17

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,044 Posts
    I read someone suggest just this season, but who knows anymore with this fiasco.

Maybe the rest of this season for like $13M-$15M plus a $20M option for 2020 with a $3M-$5M buyout? Maybe the rest of this season plus 2020 and an option over 2021?

Pretty sure the Braves won't guarantee through 2021, but there are ways to structure options to make a shorter deal palatable for both sides.
    Yeah, I would guess we'd sign him to a pretty good deal for the remainder of the year, a pretty high figure for 2020, and tack on an option with a decent buyout for 2021. I can't see Kimbrel signing something that doesn't at least give him some money for 2021.
    "Acuna is getting lucky, just like CJ did when he batted .321 and won a batting title. He is unlikely to get lucky at the MLB level over an extended period of time. He will settle in around .300-.320 just like everyone else, and when he does, he won't be within shouting distance of the 1.000 OPS he is posting in AAA...more like low .700s in 2018." -Enscheff 8/25/17

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,123 Posts
    I’d think a CK deal would be for like 8 million for the rest of this year plus 2 guaranteed years after this one.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,108 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Hudson2 View Post
    I’d think a CK deal would be for like 8 million for the rest of this year plus 2 guaranteed years after this one.
    $8M for the rest of this year is like the prorated portion of $12M. That is likely far too low.

Everything I’ve seen written by anyone with real knowledge on the topic claims the Braves will not be giving Kimbrel 3 guaranteed years. Perhaps that has changed now that it’s 2.5 years.

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Carp View Post
    Which is likely why we'll go with a college senior or a prep player that we think is an easy sign and then take an overslot guy at 21. Abrams is probably the hope, but I would bet on Espino or Malone of I were a betting man.
    If the entire former draft staff hadn't been jettisoned, it's all but impossible to imagine we wouldn't have tried to juggle things to land a Georgia high school arm that touches 100, no?
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

10 yr, $185 million Extension
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,477 Posts
    Perfect Game's first mock: https://www.perfectgame.org/Articles...?article=16331

9. Atlanta Braves | George Kirby, RHP, Elon
    A late round pick who ultimately went in the 32nd round out of high school, Kirby shouldn’t make it to the 32nd overall pick in 2019 as the Elon righthander has been outstanding this season. Not only has Kirby missed bats (76 strikeouts in 64.2 innings) but he has walked just five batters over 10 starts, living in the mid-90s with a clean delivery and a full four-pitch arsenal, all of which show at least average. (JB)

That's a weird one. Bleday and Riley Greene both still on the board though.

And later:

21. Atlanta Braves | Josh Jung, 3B, Texas Tech
    One of the more well known performers in the class, Jung has done nothing but hit in his college career, and represents relative safety in a draft where there is no such thing as a sure thing. He projects to hit, play a solid defensive at third base and bring some righthanded power to the table. (BS)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,360 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CJ9 View Post
    Perfect Game's first mock: https://www.perfectgame.org/Articles...?article=16331

A late round pick who ultimately went in the 32nd round out of high school, Kirby shouldn’t make it to the 32nd overall pick in 2019 as the Elon righthander has been outstanding this season. Not only has Kirby missed bats (76 strikeouts in 64.2 innings) but he has walked just five batters over 10 starts, living in the mid-90s with a clean delivery and a full four-pitch arsenal, all of which show at least average. (JB)

And later:

One of the more well known performers in the class, Jung has done nothing but hit in his college career, and represents relative safety in a draft where there is no such thing as a sure thing. He projects to hit, play a solid defensive at third base and bring some righthanded power to the table. (BS)
    a bleday/jung combo would be incredible.
    "Well, you’ll learn soon enough that this was a massive red wave landslide." - thethe on the 2020 election that trump lost bigly

“I can’t fix my life, but I can fix the world.” - sturg

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,123 Posts
    $8M for the rest of this year is like the prorated portion of $12M. That is likely far too low.

Everything I’ve seen written by anyone with real knowledge on the topic claims the Braves will not be giving Kimbrel 3 guaranteed years. Perhaps that has changed now that it’s 2.5 years.
    Somebody would easily give him 3 years imo if there was no QO attached. We probably would have. I do think we make a deal for him though after the draft.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,150 Posts
    Somebody would easily give him 3 years imo if there was no QO attached. We probably would have. I do think we make a deal for him though after the draft.
    Hard for me to believed that the draft pick would be the primary factor holding up his signing for every team that might consider him.

I suspect his money demand was just way beyond his market.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,150 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CJ9 View Post

And later:

College pitcher would be an odd way to go.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,108 Posts
    If you can find a quote that suggests the Braves were willing to give Kimbrel, or any FA, 3 years, I'd love to read it.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,975 Posts
    If you can find a quote that suggests the Braves were willing to give Kimbrel, or any FA, 3 years, I'd love to read it.
    We offered Bryce 3/90 reportedly.

Facial La Fleur! Total facial!

Last edited by Carp; 04-24-2019 at 11:11 AM.

Director of Minor League Reports rico43's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,448 Posts

Would make sense that he gets a signing bonus that would equate a full season's salary.

Director of Minor League Reports rico43's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,448 Posts
    College pitcher would be an odd way to go.
    Only signed one highly rated h.s. pitcher last year; got to put arms in the low minors.