Page 24 of 92 FirstFirst ... 1422232425263474 ... LastLast

Thread: 2019 MLB Draft Thread

10 yr, $185 million Extension
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    853 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SJ24 View Post
    Kiley also touted Maitan as the next Miguel Cabrera and he can't get out of A ball.
    Couldn’t predict he’d get very fat very quickly.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,360 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mqt View Post
    Couldn’t predict he’d get very fat very quickly.
    also literally everyone thought he’d be a monster. not like he was a question mark
    "Well, you’ll learn soon enough that this was a massive red wave landslide." - thethe on the 2020 election that trump lost bigly

“I can’t fix my life, but I can fix the world.” - sturg

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,941 Posts
    Hold off! Maitan is putting up a lusty .574 OPS in the Midwest League. Performance issues aside, he is over two years younger than the average player in the Midwest League at this point. Of the guys we lost, Juan Carlos Negret appears to be doing the best, though not so good. All these guys are striking out a ton.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 50PoundHead For This Useful Post:

Jaw (05-25-2019), jpx7 (05-25-2019)

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,941 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Hudson2 View Post
    Kiley might think Carrol isn’t worth a top 10 pick but I’d rather have him than Bishop.
    Carroll looks to be a high-floor guy with some decent skills that will likely transfer up the chain. Bishop looks like a true roll of the die.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 50PoundHead For This Useful Post:

Jaw (05-25-2019), jpx7 (05-25-2019)

Swallowed by Mark Bowman
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,269 Posts
    We talk a lot about "upside," but the way I tend to conceptualize that is to ask if the player has a path to being a useful contributor even if everything doesn't go right for him. Any of these guys can succeed if everything breaks their way and they develop perfectly, but I like to see players who can justify their draft positions even if some skills don't develop as expected.

I think that's my big concern with Langeliers, though respect for a guy named after an underrated Stephen King novella. What's his best case scenario - a defensive whiz with an OPS in the low to mid 700's? That's definitely useful, and a (I assume) well above-average result for the ninth pick. But does that leave much margin for error? If the bat doesn't develop, he's a defense-only backup catcher, which is basically the platonic ideal of a replacement player. If his defense turns out not be all it's cracked up to be (and remember, Christian Bethancourt was supposed to be a defensive savant, and then he actually reached the big leagues), is the bat enough to carry him? And if the bat and defense are both a notch or two below expectations, there's not really much there at all.

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to MadduxFanII For This Useful Post:

cajunrevenge (05-25-2019), jpx7 (05-26-2019), Super (05-27-2019)

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MadduxFanII View Post
    We talk a lot about "upside," but the way I tend to conceptualize that is to ask if the player has a path to being a useful contributor even if everything doesn't go right for him. Any of these guys can succeed if everything breaks their way and they develop perfectly, but I like to see players who can justify their draft positions even if some skills don't develop as expected.

I think that's my big concern with Langeliers, though respect for a guy named after an underrated Stephen King novella. What's his best case scenario - a defensive whiz with an OPS in the low to mid 700's? That's definitely useful, and a (I assume) well above-average result for the ninth pick. But does that leave much margin for error? If the bat doesn't develop, he's a defense-only backup catcher, which is basically the platonic ideal of a replacement player. If his defense turns out not be all it's cracked up to be (and remember, Christian Bethancourt was supposed to be a defensive savant, and then he actually reached the big leagues), is the bat enough to carry him? And if the bat and defense are both a notch or two below expectations, there's not really much there at all.
    The problem is - you just described EVERY player that is likely to be available with the 9th pick this year, not just Langeliers. All the guys that are likely to be there have holes - some more gaping than others.
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

Anytime Now Frankie...
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    265 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by clvclv View Post
    The problem is - you just described EVERY player that is likely to be available with the 9th pick this year, not just Langeliers. All the guys that are likely to be there have holes - some more gaping than others.
    Sure but it’s hard to see Langliers having the upside of Rutledge or Carrol, or even Bishop.

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Oklahomabrave View Post
    Sure but it’s hard to see Langliers having the upside of Rutledge or Carrol, or even Bishop.
    Considering we're all internet scouts and have seen nothing other than a few highlights from any of those guys, my guess is that it's best to defer to the folks that have actually seen them play. They don't get discussed in that range unless more than a couple people think pretty highly of them - all of them.
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,533 Posts
    I think the distinction between players with multiple paths to success and those with just one path is worth making

i think of the former as having at least 2 of these 3 attributes:

1) potential to be at least average at a premium defensive position at the major league level

2) above average hit tool

3) above average power tool
    "I am a victim, I will tell you. I am a victim."

"I am your retribution."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,533 Posts
    Langeliers is a player with multiple paths to success. But that is not what I would focus on for our two first round picks. For those picks I would look for the guy with the biggest upside.

For our second and third round picks I would look for guys who maybe dont have the loudest tool but have multiple paths to success. This draft is deep in middle infielders and I think we will take at least one with our second and third round picks.

"I am your retribution."

14. The Following User Says Thank You to nsacpi For This Useful Post:

Jaw (05-26-2019)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,625 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nsacpi View Post
    Langeliers is a player with multiple paths to success. But that is not what I would focus on for our two first round picks. For those picks I would look for the guy with the biggest upside.

For our second and third round picks I would look for guys who maybe dont have the loudest tool but have multiple paths to success. This draft is deep in middle infielders and I think we will take at least one with our second and third round picks.
    There is a high school SS that a couple of mock drafts have going shortly after we pick. I'm surprised we aren't connected there, given the dearth of middle infielders in the system.
    Go get him!

Founding member of the Whiny Little Bitches and Pricks Club

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Jaw For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (05-26-2019)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,533 Posts
    In terms of draft strategy I think we should explore 2 options:

1) try to get Abrams or Bleday to drop to us. Given their backgrounds they may prefer to play for the Braves. We obviously would have to go over slot with the #9 pick to do that and move $ from later picks.

2) If we cant swing option 1, I would move in the opposite direction. Go under slot with one of the first round picks as part of a plan to get enhanced value in rounds 2-4.
    Last edited by nsacpi; 05-26-2019 at 01:17 PM.

"I am your retribution."

18. The Following User Says Thank You to nsacpi For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (05-26-2019)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,533 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaw View Post
    There is a high school SS that a couple of mock drafts have going shortly after we pick. I'm surprised we aren't connected there, given the dearth of middle infielders in the system.
    who is it

"I am your retribution."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,625 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nsacpi View Post
    who is it
    Had to look it up. Gunnar Henderson.
    Go get him!

Founding member of the Whiny Little Bitches and Pricks Club

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,533 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaw View Post
    Had to look it up. Gunnar Henderson.
    seems to be one of those late helium guys...likely to go in the first round

"I am your retribution."

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,108 Posts
    The thing with Carroll is the knock against him seems to size and/or power potential. With the new baseball being used in AAA/MLB, it’s making power grades very hard to project.

Maybe Carroll is a bit underrated considering the grades being hung on all his other tools. If he and a high upside arm are the picks at 9/21, I won’t complain at all.

The only poor strategy I’ve seen presented by any mock draft are the ones that have the Braves selecting 2 RHP at 9/21.

23. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Enscheff For This Useful Post:

Jaw (05-26-2019), jpx7 (05-26-2019)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,108 Posts
    The thing with Carroll is the knock against him seems to size and/or power potential. With the new baseball being used in AAA/MLB, it’s making power grades very hard to project.

Maybe Carroll is a bit underrated considering the grades being hung on all his other tools. If he and a high upside arm are the picks at 9/21, I won’t complain at all.

The only poor strategy I’ve seen presented by any mock draft are the ones that have the Braves selecting 2 RHP at 9/21.

Called Up to the Major Leagues ixiXSolidXixi's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    155 Posts
    Enscheff:

I think he (Teheran) finishes with a FIP ~3.3. -CrazyTrain 3/35/2019

3/35/2019?

Mr. Free Trade
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    514 Posts
    The "If I Were Running the Braves Pick," based on nothing more than reading the tea leaves before the draft and a gut feel (which is certainly unscientific, but probably not too far from what actually happens in reality once the picks move from about the top 5 anyway):

9: Gunnar Henderson: SS, bats left throws right. Very young player who has a month before turning 18. Late helium. Probably early for his projected slot so shouldn't be a money problem. From Alabama and supposedly a Braves fan. Braves save a little money.

21: Matt Lugo: SS, RH/RH. Also very young player who just turned 18. Probably a 2B or 3B. Braves save a little money.

60: Spencer Jones: 1B/LHP, LH/LH. Two way guy who is committed to Vandy and will cost above slot. Also young, just turned 18. Braves use money saved at 9 and 21 plus whatever else they need.

Go college SR heavy the rest of the way as necessary.
    Last edited by Horsehide Harry; 05-27-2019 at 03:38 PM.

27. The Following User Says Thank You to Horsehide Harry For This Useful Post:

Jaw (05-27-2019)

10 yr, $185 million Extension
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,477 Posts
    Keith Law's mock out now: http://www.espn.com/mlb/insider/stor...-mock-draft-20

The important stuff -- Jackson Rutledge at 9 and notes that he recently threw at Suntrust for our front office. His list of others in the mix is Bishop, Carroll, Manoah and Langeliers.

At 21, he has us taking Brennan Malone and says we're linked to many other prep arms there. The most interesting note is he lists Georgia Tech catcher Kyle McCann as our target for pick 60.

McCann is hitting .298/.471/.693 this year at Georgia Tech with 12 doubles and 23 homers. He's striking out 25% of the time and walking 21% of the time.

29. The Following User Says Thank You to CJ9 For This Useful Post:

Jaw (05-28-2019)