Quote Originally Posted by bravesfanMatt View Post
And those extra 2nd and 3rd round picks don’t net you much in pool money so really you are just punting a year of development and dropping one spot for no reason. I think you could employ HH strategy on the 1st round if there isn’t anything you like at that point. Grab a hard commit guy with talent and toss some money his way pretty much knowing he will pass. Anything after the first round seems neutral at best.
I don't know, 2nd round picks are worth well over a million dollars until you get around pick ~70. Under Harry's scenario of 5, 11, 42, 46, 80, and 91 that would be a draft pool of ~15.3 million just from those six picks and another ~2 million from picks in the 4th-10th rounds. And that isn't included any competitive balance or compensation picks you might have that could run it up to the 20 million dollar range. The 2nd and 3rd round picks would only amount to be 2.5 million of that intial 15.3, but in terms of draft pools 2.5 million can make a major difference between getting the guys you want and having to settle.

I'm not arguing its a good strategy because I made that post in jest, but I just don't want to discount how valuable those pool dollars can be in draft strategy. The Diamondbacks are in position to get multiple high end prospects this year on the back of their 16 million dollar draft pool. A good chunk of that is because of them having 6 picks in the 33-93 range.