Page 103 of 253 FirstFirst ... 35393101102103104105113153203 ... LastLast
Results 2,041 to 2,060 of 5045

Thread: Is Free Speech Under Attack in this Country?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,052 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nsacpi View Post
    I suspect that this particular comment in isolation would not have resulted in her losing her gig...it is actually a fairly nuanced take on what the Nazis (and the Germans who went along without thinking too much about it) did to the Jews
    She'd long been in fights with social justice warriors (or else trolls disguised as SJWs, not sure which). I think Disney told her to cool it and she couldn't do it. Ultimately though, if she was coming from a different political viewpoint she wouldn't have even gotten the warning.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,539 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by striker42 View Post
    She'd long been in fights with social justice warriors (or else trolls disguised as SJWs, not sure which). I think Disney told her to cool it and she couldn't do it. Ultimately though, if she was coming from a different political viewpoint she wouldn't have even gotten the warning.
    i'll just say i don't mind seeing a bit of persecution of the folks with a pro-insurrectionist and pro-Big Lie perspective...they can say what they want...but if polite society and their employers apply some sanctions (within the bounds of law) I'm perfectly fine with it

to be pro-insurrectionist and/or pro-Big Lie is to be anti-democratic...those lines of thought are a threat to rule of law and our constitutional order...so i'm not too tolerant of those perspectives...i'd like to hold on to our republican form of government

if someone like thethe worked for me i'd fire his sorry ass in a nano-second (after checking with legal to make sure i could do it legally)...sorry to be so uncompromising...but some things we should not compromise on
    Last edited by nsacpi; 02-11-2021 at 10:59 AM.
    "I am a victim, I will tell you. I am a victim."

"I am your retribution."

Connoisseur of Minors zitothebrave's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,469 Posts
    She put herself into social media battles with "SJWs" as crybabies are oft to put things, that she didn't have to. She chose to make a joke of a common social media labelling system, was told not to and stopped and apologized. And the "SJWs" were off her case. She continued to poke the bear, and eventually went too far. Not shocking. Her coworkers defended her for the most part but she failed at simple common sense.
    Stockholm, more densely populated than NYC - sturg

I <3 Ron Paul + gilesfan sturg33's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,788 Posts
    A reminder that Disney publicly thanked the CCP for letting them film near their concentration camps...

But this social media post crossed the line

To act like this isn't purely based on political beliefs is insane. But then again, TLHLIM

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,469 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sturg33 View Post
    A reminder that Disney publicly thanked the CCP for letting them film near their concentration camps...

But this social media post crossed the line

To act like this isn't purely based on political beliefs is insane. But then again, TLHLIM
    And people rightly panned Disney for that. And Mulan has certainly been well received.That last sentence was dripping with Sarcasm incase you couldn't tell.

It's not about Political Beliefs. It would be like saying I was put in jail for hating someone, because I shot someone I was mad at.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,469 Posts

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,788 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by zitothebrave View Post
    And people rightly panned Disney for that. And Mulan has certainly been well received.That last sentence was dripping with Sarcasm incase you couldn't tell.

It's not about Political Beliefs. It would be like saying I was put in jail for hating someone, because I shot someone I was mad at.
    So why wasn't Pedro Pascal fired for multiple nazi germany social media posts?

The answer is quite obvious... he was criticizing the woke-approved target

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,788 Posts
    It's not that crazy. Stalin killed 3 million Russians (at least). Mao's policies in China caused famines that wiped out over 70 million people. Pol Pot killed two million Cambodians. China is currently engaging in persecuting an ethnic minority. So Communist regimes certainly have an argument as being worse. I'd side with the Nazis being worse just because of their intensity. They did their damage in a much shorter time. But by sheer numbers, I think Communists are winning.
    The body count speaks for itself.

The Nazis were overt in their hatred... the Jews knew they were an enemy who wanted to kill them.

The communists kill people out of love, social justice, and tolerance

That's how they keep rising to power despite their abysmal failures in both economics and human rights

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,965 Posts
    It's not just "polite society" though. If it were you'd see liberal actors getting cancelled when they go on tone deaf tirades. Lord knows we saw enough of them during Trump's tenure.

The problem is that there's a movement on the left to band together and pressure companies with power to exercise that power to punish people for statements the left sees as heretical. You don't have the same on the right and if you did I'd be condemning it. I loathe the idea of trying to get entities with power to use that power to silence people. I find it incompatible with a free and open society. Because let's face it, you have lots of companies these days that wield more power than the US Government did in 1800.

I think Carano's comparison to Nazi Germany wasn't great. I think the better comparison would have been to the French Revolution. You said something mildly uncouth? You're an enemy of the Revolution and to the guillotine with you! That's pretty close to how cancel culture works. You said something I don't like? You must be fired from everything and shunned by society!
    You guys are all way too young. I was born just after the height of the Red Scare in the early-1950s. All kinds of people were drummed out of their jobs/positions simply because they had attended a Communist Party meeting in the 1930s as young people at the height of the Depression. Very few ever became card-carrying Communists, but that didn't matter when they were all blacklisted by the Red Hunters. Watch the movie Trumbo, but even that doesn't get to the depths of the madness. So, in other words, conservatives then were doing the same thing that is happening now, but it was nastier and far more damaging. So look at the long view.

As for Carano, she's a sh*tty actress and they should have fired her for that more than anything else. But, oh yeah, they are rounding up Trump supporters and putting them in camps to be gassed. F*cking ridiculous at so many levels. Cancel culture can be maddening, but those complaining about it probably need a better poster child than Carano.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,539 Posts
    The data are clear. Ranking of mass murderers

1. Mao
    2. Stalin
    3. Hitler

It is close between Stalin and Hitler. But Mao is indisputably #1. All in the 20th century. The century of mass murder.

"I am your retribution."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,788 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 50PoundHead View Post
    You guys are all way too young. I was born just after the height of the Red Scare in the early-1950s. All kinds of people were drummed out of their jobs/positions simply because they had attended a Communist Party meeting in the 1930s as young people at the height of the Depression. Very few ever became card-carrying Communists, but that didn't matter when they were all blacklisted by the Red Hunters. Watch the movie Trumbo, but even that doesn't get to the depths of the madness. So, in other words, conservatives then were doing the same thing that is happening now, but it was nastier and far more damaging. So look at the long view.

As for Carano, she's a sh*tty actress and they should have fired her for that more than anything else. But, oh yeah, they are rounding up Trump supporters and putting them in camps to be gassed. F*cking ridiculous at so many levels. Cancel culture can be maddening, but those complaining about it probably need a better poster child than Carano.
    It wasn't right then and its not right now

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,539 Posts

On a more amusing note, my barber wants to deport Bernie Sanders to Cuba for being a commie (and he aint joking). Good thing he isn't in a position to "cancel Bernie."

"I am your retribution."

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,965 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sturg33 View Post
    It wasn't right then and its not right now
    My point is what was happening then was far more insidious than what is happening now. You guys simply don't understand how the context is that much different.

Everyone seems to believe they can say whatever they want to whomever they want and not face consequences. These modern provocateurs keep pushing the envelope and then cry like little b*tches when they get slapped. And a lot of them, but not all, should be slapped.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to 50PoundHead For This Useful Post:

57Brave (02-11-2021)

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,965 Posts
    On a more amusing note, my barber wants to deport Bernie Sanders to Cuba for being a commie (and he aint joking). Good thing he isn't in a position to "cancel Bernie."
    He could give Bernie a better haircut.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,539 Posts
    My point is what was happening then was far more insidious than what is happening now. You guys simply don't understand how the context is that much different.

Everyone seems to believe they can say whatever they want to whomever they want and not face consequences. These modern provocateurs keep pushing the envelope and then cry like little b*tches when they get slapped. And a lot of them, but not all, should be slapped.
    Age brings perspective. I for one value having a couple posters around a little older than me.

"I am your retribution."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,539 Posts
    He could give Bernie a better haircut.
    More likely to chop off his head and display it as a trophy.

"I am your retribution."

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,965 Posts
    More likely to chop off his head and display it as a trophy.
    Could he save a lock of hair for me?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,469 Posts
    It's not that crazy. Stalin killed 3 million Russians (at least). Mao's policies in China caused famines that wiped out over 70 million people. Pol Pot killed two million Cambodians. China is currently engaging in persecuting an ethnic minority. So Communist regimes certainly have an argument as being worse. I'd side with the Nazis being worse just because of their intensity. They did their damage in a much shorter time. But by sheer numbers, I think Communists are winning.
    This is a **** rationalization of a **** take. Congrats on challenging sturg for dumbest post of the year.

The idea of comparing Nazism to Communism and their destructive tendencies is beyond stupid. You're comparing a regime who's backbone is built around genocide to ****y individual leaders. Stalin was a ****ty leader, as was Pol Pot as was Mao.

But statistically speaking, you're ignoring the key factors here. Stalin may have killed a ton of his people, but Hitler killed more. Soviets than Stalin could have dreamed of. Some estimate that WWII killed about 15% of the population of the USSR. Death tolls from 20-27M. And those were deliberate deaths. They weren't deaths caused by poor plans. Or anything like that. Nope they were deaths caused by Hitler's desire to rid the world of impure people via genocide.

I'm not here defending terrible people, but there's a clear line between Nazism which WWII caused an estimated European death toll between 35 and 40M, and bad policy

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,539 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by zitothebrave View Post
    Stalin may have killed a ton of his people, but Hitler killed more.
    Stalin killed more.

See Ukrainian famine (state-sponsored starvation).

"I am your retribution."

21. The Following User Says Thank You to nsacpi For This Useful Post:

50PoundHead (02-11-2021)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,788 Posts
    Lol of course it is