Page 22 of 253 FirstFirst ... 1220212223243272122 ... LastLast

Thread: Is Free Speech Under Attack in this Country?

**NOT ACTUALLY RACIST
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    440 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sturg33 View Post
    I think it should concern you that people are telling you they dont feel like they can express their views freely in this country
    You think he cares? He doesn’t agree with their views so he doesn’t care

Making Atlanta Great Again!
    #MAGA!

Promises MADE, Promises KEPT!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,746 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Krgrecw View Post
    You think he cares? He doesn’t agree with their views so he doesn’t care
    lol.
    Forever Fredi

if my thought dreams could be seen goldfly's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,262 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by The Chosen One View Post
    lol.
    exactly
    "For there is always light, if only we are brave enough to see it. If only we are brave enough to be it." Amanda Gorman

"When Fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,064 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sturg33 View Post
    I think it should concern you that people are telling you they dont feel like they can express their views freely in this country

There have always been people who felt like they couldn't freely express their views and for most of the country's history it's been from the oppressed, minority side.
    FFF - BB, BB, 2B, HR, 2B, HR, 1B, BB, BB, 1B, BB, BB, HR

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,064 Posts
    Btw, if the idiot President says the hurricane is about to hit Oklahoma, don't contradict him or you might lose your job.
    FFF - BB, BB, 2B, HR, 2B, HR, 1B, BB, BB, 1B, BB, BB, HR

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,420 Posts
    Ron Wyden
    @RonWyden
    ·
    7h
    Trump had an entire meeting with the crown prince of Bahrain

and failed to mention Bahrain's active human rights abuses and

repression of political opponents. That's unacceptable.

Nicholas Kristof
    @NickKristof
    ·
    5h
    Nabeel Rajab is one of the bravest and most measured of human rights advocates in the Arab world. Repressive Bahrain, whose crown prince just met with Pres. Trump, has sentenced Nabeel to 5 years in prison, essentially for committing free expression.

Front Line Defenders
    @FrontLineHRD
    · 5h
    The #Bahrain High Court of Appeals today rejected the request to grant prominent #humanrights defender & founder of the #GCHR @NABEELRAJAB a non-custodial sentence. He remains imprisoned serving a 5-year term. More about our work with Nabeel: https://frontlinedefenders.org/en/ca...pdate-id-10311
    #FreeNabeel

The best way to stop a bad guy with a gun is to make sure he doesn’t get a gun.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,040 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 57Brave View Post
    Ron Wyden
    @RonWyden
    ·
    7h
    Trump had an entire meeting with the crown prince of Bahrain

and failed to mention Bahrain's active human rights abuses and

repression of political opponents. That's unacceptable.

Nicholas Kristof
    @NickKristof
    ·
    5h
    Nabeel Rajab is one of the bravest and most measured of human rights advocates in the Arab world. Repressive Bahrain, whose crown prince just met with Pres. Trump, has sentenced Nabeel to 5 years in prison, essentially for committing free expression.

Front Line Defenders
    @FrontLineHRD
    · 5h
    The #Bahrain High Court of Appeals today rejected the request to grant prominent #humanrights defender & founder of the #GCHR @NABEELRAJAB a non-custodial sentence. He remains imprisoned serving a 5-year term. More about our work with Nabeel: https://frontlinedefenders.org/en/ca...pdate-id-10311
    #FreeNabeel

https://foreignpolicy.com/2012/05/11...th-arms-sales/

The quotes you posted are more fake outrage. Every administration for the past century has amicably met with world leaders who have done evil things. It's part for the course.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,420 Posts
    not really the point Kristof or Wyden was making -- but, sure.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,040 Posts
    not really the point Kristof or Wyden was making -- but, sure.
    I get what they're saying. I agree that more needs to be done to push free speech around the world.

I just find all the fake outrage these days really annoying.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,898 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by striker42 View Post
    I get what they're saying. I agree that more needs to be done to push free speech around the world.

I just find all the fake outrage these days really annoying.
    There also needs to be more done to push meaningful climate change - Like you know speak out against China/India.
    Natural Immunity Croc

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,420 Posts
    I'd think an educated man of your ilk would shy away from Trumpish verbage
    "fake outrage "

Both Wyden and Kristof are "outraged" making me wonder, have the pen pal letters with Kim Jong Un hardened your heart to where human rights are quaint?

I remember as First Lady HRC went to China,stood on China soil and lambasted the Chinese government over their treatment of women
    Funny, you call fake outrage on two people scolding Trump over is lack of empathy but are quiet when the bois whine over the latest dog whistle right wing victimhood

I dont know whether to be flattered or, outraged

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,420 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thethe View Post
    There also needs to be more done to push meaningful climate change - Like you know speak out against China/India.
    you should read more and type less.
    starting with how China is weening itself from fossil fuels while leading the world in innovation of green energy technology

You can Google it or yo can keep talking about things you have no idea about

my money is on the latter
    Last edited by 57Brave; 09-17-2019 at 10:10 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,898 Posts
    you should read more and type less.
    starting with how China is weening itself from fossil fuels while leading the world in innovation of green energy technology

You can Google it or yo can keep talking about things you have no idea about

my money is on the latter
    Want to talk about ocean dumping?

'weening' HAHAHAHAHAHA - From what absurd highs? When is that actually going to change? Stop living in a fantasy world.
    Natural Immunity Croc

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,040 Posts
    I'd think an educated man of your ilk would shy away from Trumpish verbage
    "fake outrage "

Both Wyden and Kristof are "outraged" making me wonder, have the pen pal letters with Kim Jong Un hardened your heart to where human rights are quaint?

I remember as First Lady HRC went to China,stood on China soil and lambasted the Chinese government over their treatment of women
    Funny, you call fake outrage on two people scolding Trump over is lack of empathy but are quiet when the bois whine over the latest dog whistle right wing victimhood

I dont know whether to be flattered or, outraged
    It's fake outrage in that the same people likely would not call out the Obama administration for the same sort of meeting.

Before you jump to conclusions, I'm no fan of Trump. I think he probably should be pressing on people like that crown prince to enact human rights reforms. However, I'm not going to be outraged when he doesn't. Meetings like that are pretty standard for every administration.

What annoys me is when people attack politicians they dislike for doing things they'd excuse if done by a politician they do like. It's fake outrage. It's just people engaged in partisan squabbling trying to gain some kind of moral high ground.

Also, I'm more than willing to admit this is done by the right as well. You probably saw this kind of stuff best illustrated in the Kavanaugh stuff. The left wrapped themselves in the sexual misconduct allegations and the right wrapped themselves in the outrage of the falsely accused. In reality, it was nothing more than a political dispute. The left didn't want Kavanaugh moving the court to the right and the right wanted that exact thing to happen.

If you admit you're engaging in a partisan dispute, you're written off immediately. Better to clothe your partisan goals in moral righteousness.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,420 Posts
    what strikes me odd is there are 3-4-5 people here that hold Trump Admin feet to the fire.
    Yet no one is a fan.
    There are what, maybe a dozen regular posters ?

Kinda like Iraq War. No one was for it, if one did make a point of the ludicrousness of that whole adventure was told pretty much, it was fake outrage.
    As in "where were you when Clinton did xyz"

This administration has set our human rights agenda back 50 years. And you are quibbling about how maybe people would have responded had Obama done xyz.

I get awfully tired of the conditional standards set out by Republicans
    If Obama had such a meeting where he didn't address such a blatant abuse --- I would like to know about it.
    And if he did have such a meeting and didn't address it I guarangotdamntee you he caught very public hell from the Sanders wing of (D)

Oh yeah, Obama is no longer President-- hasn't been for almost 3 years now
    Last edited by 57Brave; 09-18-2019 at 11:56 AM.

if my thought dreams could be seen goldfly's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,262 Posts
    man, i can't believe we haven't tried to organize one of our well regulated militias to free all those political prisoners being persecuted by anti free speech people
    Last edited by goldfly; 09-18-2019 at 12:08 PM.
    "For there is always light, if only we are brave enough to see it. If only we are brave enough to be it." Amanda Gorman

"When Fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,040 Posts
    what strikes me odd is there are 3-4-5 people here that hold Trump Admin feet to the fire.
    Yet no one is a fan.

Kinda like Iraq War. No one was for it, if one did make a point of the ludicrousness of that whole adventure was told pretty much, it was fake outrage.

This administration has set our human rights agenda back 50 years. And you are quibbling about how maybe people would have responded had Obama done xyz.

If Obama had such a meeting where he didn't address such a blatant abuse --- I would like to know about it.
    And if he did have such a meeting and didn't address it I guarangotdamntee you he caught very public hell from the Sanders wing of (D)

I'm disillusioned. I don't think my getting angry will affect anything. And I honestly don't expect any other person who will get elected will be measurably better. They'll just be bad in different ways. I expect I'll cast my ballot with President blank again next year. Its been a while since anyone worth my vote ran.

I posted an article covering the Obama administration's meeting with the same crown prince where they showered him with gifts and set up an arms deal. I don't believe human rights abuse was mentioned though you can be sure Bahrain was every bit as abusive then as now.

International relations is largely sitting in rooms with people to despise and smiling like they're your best friend. Maybe it shouldn't be that way. But it is and I see no point in outrage when a President does it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,420 Posts
    you really dont think a change in Senate / White House things would be the same ?
    Would ( there I used a conditional as well) Obama carry the same human rights baggage into that meeting Trump keeps in his pocket ?
    Kristof would have lambasted Obama had he done the same. Notice I said, had.

The conversation on who we arm and why is a worthy one

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,898 Posts
    Yet no one is a fan.

How has the Trump administration set back human rights agenda by 50 years?
    Natural Immunity Croc

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,040 Posts
    you really dont think a change in Senate / White House things would be the same ?
    Would ( there I used a conditional as well) Obama carry the same human rights baggage into that meeting Trump keeps in his pocket ?
    Kristof would have lambasted Obama had he done the same. Notice I said, had.

The conversation on who we arm and why is a worthy one
    A change in the Senate and White House would mean things would be different. I don't think they'd be any better. Just bad in different ways.