Page 50 of 253 FirstFirst ... 40484950515260100150 ... LastLast
Results 981 to 1,000 of 5045

Thread: Is Free Speech Under Attack in this Country?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,420 Posts

Governor Kate Brown
    @OregonGovBrown
    ·
    23h
    I told Acting Secretary Wolf that the federal government should remove all federal officers

from our streets. His response showed me he is on a mission to provoke confrontation

for political purposes. He is putting both Oregonians and local law enforcement

officers in harm’s way.
    The best way to stop a bad guy with a gun is to make sure he doesn’t get a gun.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,420 Posts
    Ron Wyden
    @RonWyden
    ·
    Jul 16
    A peaceful protester in Portland was shot in the head by one

of Donald Trump’s secret police. Now Trump and Chad Wolf are weaponizing

the DHS as their own occupying army to provoke violence on the streets of

my hometown because they think it plays well with right-wing media.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,420 Posts
    Mayor Ted Wheeler
    @tedwheeler
    ·
    Jul 16
    A number of people have asked if I know DHS leadership is in town,

and if I’m going to meet with them. We’re aware that they’re here.

We wish they weren’t. We haven’t been invited to meet with them,

and if we were , we would decline.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,420 Posts
    David Burbach
    @dburbach
    · 21h
    Oregon Public Broadcasting confirms tweets today that federal officers

in camouflage but no agency identification or badges, driving unmarked

non-government rental cars, are grabbing protestors off streets in Portland

and not talking w local authorities

tell me more about tyranny and the horrors of China

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,420 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Tapate50 View Post
    Portland is escalating this all by themselves. They are putting authorities in a no win situation but the pressure is
    mounting to get it under control.

There’s no winners there
    Well then, the police will arrest the perpetrators.
    No one of elected authority invited DHS.

The federal fores are not by law to interfere unless specifically asked by the state.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,420 Posts
    hey sometimes "free speech under attack" is not so ambiguous
    is it ?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,420 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Tomahawking4life View Post
    Bye rioters
    Took all of what, 3 days , for you to show your colors.
    You side with white authoritarianism.
    Glad we got that out of the way

But, as the story of everyone else that rubs up against Trump ( Bolton,Sessions, Amash, Kelly, Omorossa fer chrise sakes, his brothers, his father)
    no one comes out clean.
    Good luck with that
    Last edited by 57Brave; 07-17-2020 at 06:25 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,420 Posts
    more photos

Last edited by 57Brave; 07-17-2020 at 06:22 PM.

Awaiting a Promotion
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    63 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 57Brave View Post
    Took all of what, 3 days , for you to show your colors.

You side with authoritarianism.

But, as the story of everyone else that rubs up against TRump ( Bolton,Sessions, Amash etc, his brothers, his father)
    no one comes out clean.
    Good luck with that
    Haha 2 words and now I side with authoritarianism. Obviously you've seen none of my other posts this week. Good job showing your ignorance buddy.
    This is my signature. Savs intolerance gets me banned from the Real Talk forums. This is the kind of censorship that doomed the scout site. Don't let Sav censor us anymore. End of signature.

[SAV checking in here. toma has been acting like a child, thus the child goes into timeout until he stops acting like a child. 11/21 12:30am]

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,420 Posts
    where you called those that dont agree with you "toxic" or where you blathered on about "both sides"
    It will take a lot more that a few patronizing sentences

"When people show you who they are, believe them"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,420 Posts
    Haha 2 words and now I side with authoritarianism. Obviously you've seen none of my other posts this week. Good job showing your ignorance buddy.
    you literally sided with the unmarked DHS vigilantes ( authoritarians) over duly elected Governor, sitting Senator and Mayor over the degree of urgency in Portland
    ///////////////////

some pictures huh ?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,420 Posts
    2h
    NEW:

Oregon Governor Kate Brown tells us that the use of DHS law

enforcement in Portland appears to be a "deliberate effort to provoke."

But Trump officials don't want a dialogue, Brown says.

"It’s like adding gasoline to a fire."

my reading today told me this is a dry run

I <3 Ron Paul + gilesfan sturg33's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,788 Posts
    Seems like free speech is under attack in this country...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,539 Posts
    "I am a victim, I will tell you. I am a victim."

"I am your retribution."

15. The Following User Says Thank You to nsacpi For This Useful Post:

57Brave (07-17-2020)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,539 Posts
    And almost as suddenly as they had grabbed him off the street, the men let him go. The federal officers who snatched him off the street as he was walking home from a peaceful protest did not tell him why he had been detained or provide him any record of an arrest, he told The Post. As far as he knows, he has not been charged with any crimes. And, Pettibone said, he did not know who detained him.

During a video press conference Friday, Portland Mayor Ted Wheeler twice called the federal police in his city President Trump’s “personal army” and said that he is joining a chorus of Oregon’s elected officials in sending a clear message to Washington: “Take your troops out of Portland.”

Federal officers from the U.S. Marshals Service and Department of Homeland Security have stormed Portland’s streets as part of President Trump’s promised strong response to ongoing protests. Local leaders expressed alarm at news of Pettibone’s detention and echoed calls for the feds to leave that have grown stronger since Marshals Service officers severely wounded a peaceful protester on Saturday.

Jann Carson, interim executive director of the American Civil Liberties Union of Oregon, called the recent arrests “flat-out unconstitutional” in a statement shared with The Post.

“Usually when we see people in unmarked cars forcibly grab someone off the street, we call it kidnapping,” Carson said.

“I am proud to be among the loud chorus of elected officials calling for the federal troops in Portland’s streets to go home,” Portland City Commissioner Jo Ann Hardesty said in a statement shared with The Post on Sunday. “Their presence here has escalated tensions and put countless Portlanders exercising their First Amendment rights in greater danger.”

Pettibone says he was simply exercising his free speech rights on Wednesday when he was detained. He and a friend were walking to a car to drive home after a relatively calm demonstration in a nearby park. He said he did not do anything to instigate police that night, or at any of the other protests he had attended over the past six weeks.

“I have a pretty strong philosophical conviction that I will not engage in any violent activity,” he told The Post. “I keep it mellow and try to document police brutality and try to show up for solidarity.”

“We’ve done a great job in Portland,” Trump said at a news conference on Monday. “Portland was totally out of control, and they went in, and I guess we have many people right now in jail. We very much quelled it, and if it starts again, we’ll quell it again very easily. It’s not hard to do, if you know what you’re doing.”

https://www.washingtonpost.com/natio...ge%2Fstory-ans

Pretty clear what is going on. DHS is being used in a provocative manner. very poorly chosen one trying to provoke a pretext to further militarize the situation. What a sad excuse of a human being. A decent person would be looking for ways to de-escalate. The disturbed child we have in the White House wants to escalate.
    Last edited by nsacpi; 07-17-2020 at 07:06 PM.

"I am your retribution."

Awaiting a Promotion
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    63 Posts
    you literally sided with the unmarked DHS vigilantes ( authoritarians) over duly elected Governor, sitting Senator and Mayor over the degree of urgency in Portland
    ///////////////////

some pictures huh ?
    It's ok that you pretend to know me even if you dont. I dont blame you. A few years back I'm sure I would have done the same thing to you. No hard feelings man
    This is my signature. Savs intolerance gets me banned from the Real Talk forums. This is the kind of censorship that doomed the scout site. Don't let Sav censor us anymore. End of signature.

[SAV checking in here. toma has been acting like a child, thus the child goes into timeout until he stops acting like a child. 11/21 12:30am]

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,539 Posts
    Mayor Ted Wheeler of Portland, who is also police commissioner, said the federal response was “irresponsible” and asked for those deployed to stay inside federal buildings or leave the city. The Multnomah County sheriff, Mike Reese, called the federal response a “significant setback” in efforts to calm tensions.

But federal officials, starting with President Trump, have continued to stake a claim to the city’s law and order. The acting Homeland Security secretary, Chad Wolf, arrived in the city on Thursday, calling the protesters a “violent mob” of anarchists emboldened by a lack of local enforcement.

Mr. Trump said last week that he had sent Homeland Security personnel to Portland because “the locals couldn’t handle it.”

“It’s a pretty wild group, but you have it in very good control,” he told Mr. Wolf.

The next day, video appeared to show one protester, Donavan La Bella, holding a sign across the street from the federal courthouse being struck in the head by an impact munition, leading to a bloody scene on the street. His mother has told local media that he suffered skull fractures and needed surgery.

Governor Brown said in an interview that she asked the acting homeland security secretary, Chad F. Wolf, to remove federal officials from the streets and that he refused. She said the Trump administration appeared to instead be using the situation for photo-ops to rally his supporters.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/07/17/u...-protests.html

The governor has it right. It is a provocation. Red meat for the base. The ever dwindling ever more chuckleheaded base.
    Last edited by nsacpi; 07-17-2020 at 07:19 PM.

"I am your retribution."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,420 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sturg33 View Post
    Seems like free speech is under attack in this country...
    I assumed you would have been the first to hop onto this.
    Seeing how over the past few years you have become a 1st Amendment warrior.

But let me say,
    a provocateur being shouted down in the town square is not a prescribed violation of free speech.
    That is exactly free speech- Newtons 3rd Law

however, when government vigilantes under the direction of the Executive Branch stifle the right to assemble... that is a whole other matter
    a couple of us have shown that local elected officials didnt deem this outside of " peacefull assembly."
    That is kinda their place in all of this or in plain English, the description of authoritarian rule, where one person usurps the authority of others.
    You and a few of your friends might want to read constitutional implications here too
    Jurisdiction of states vs federal

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.
    Last edited by 57Brave; 07-17-2020 at 07:21 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,539 Posts
    I assumed you would have been the first to hop onto this.
    Seeing how over the past few years you have become a 1st Amendment warrior.

But let me say,
    a provocateur being shouted down in the town square is not a prescribed violation of free speech.
    That is exactly free speech- Newtons 3rd Law

however, when government vigilantes under the direction of the Executive Branch stifle the right to assemble... that is a whole other matter
    a couple of us have shown that local elected officials didnt deem this outside of " peacefull assembly."
    That is kinda their place in all of this or in plain English, the description of authoritarian rule, where one person usurps the authority of others.
    You and a few of your friends might want to read up on that too,
    Jurisdiction of states vs federal

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.
    we all know by now he is a fake first amendment warrior...he wouldn't know an attack on free speech if it hit him in the nuts

"I am your retribution."

I <3 Ron Paul + gilesfan sturg33's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,788 Posts
    My interest in this thread is how.our society no longer values open speech and debate anymore.

I'm not clear on everything going on in Portland. I know what happened in seattle was not 1st amendment rights... they violently took over part of the city, destroyed property, and killed people. The local government did nothing. The government is supposed to protect our rights and Seattle chose not to.

Is that what is going on in Portland? I dont know enough about it... will be reading up on it

22. The Following User Says Thank You to sturg33 For This Useful Post:

acesfull86 (07-17-2020)