Page 106 of 253 FirstFirst ... 65696104105106107108116156206 ... LastLast
Results 2,101 to 2,120 of 5045

Thread: Is Free Speech Under Attack in this Country?

I <3 Ron Paul + gilesfan sturg33's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,787 Posts
    Yes... this was a one and done policy from our tech overlords...they had to do it to save democracy

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,625 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sturg33 View Post
    Yes... this was a one and done policy from our tech overlords...they had to do it to save democracy

But dIdN't yOu ackshually reAd the Time aRTicle???
    Go get him!

Founding member of the Whiny Little Bitches and Pricks Club

Connoisseur of Minors zitothebrave's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,469 Posts
    Lincoln Project deleted said tweet, If twitter wanted to suspend them for a while that would be fine too.
    Stockholm, more densely populated than NYC - sturg

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,735 Posts

You still on about this Hunter Biden ****? Has he been arrested? Had he been charged? Has he been convicted? Stop falling for all the fake news scams.
    "Donald Trump will serve a second term as president of the United States.

It’s over."

Little Thethe Nov 19, 2020.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,735 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by striker42 View Post
    I should know better than to read twitter. People keep using the TERRIBLE line that it's not cancel culture it's "consequences for your actions."

So, suppose I start a well organized group that is based on the idea that The Last Jedi is terrible. We use our collective voice on social media to boycott any company associated with anyone who said they liked the movie. We bully companies into firing and ostracizing those who raved about how good the movie was. Is this people suffering the consequences of their actions or is it cancel culture?

Ultimately cancel culture is people organizing on social media to pressure companies into punishing individuals for speech they don't like. I find that more repugnant than the worst speech spewed by anyone who has been cancelled.

Where and how you spend your money is speech. I dont agree with the twatter Puritans but what they are doing is not new. Used to be being outed as atheist, gay, trans, not-racist, etc were the things that got people canceled. All these people on the right dont have one problem with cancel culture, they are just mad because its happening to them. No one embodies cancel culture more than Donald Trump and I doubt you can find me many if any elected Republicans who criticized it from disgraced former President Trump.

I dont do twatter but are these things really organized? I doubt it is. Twatter only gave people a more direct line to communicate with the company. Previously it would take a letter writing campaign which take actual organization. They had laws against doing what you are talking about years ago, they were used to arrest MLK for organizing the bus boycott. So I see what these people do as just as much of them using their free speech as anyone else. Where the line people shouldnt cross is debatable but I am sure that line exists for you too. If you had an employee and you saw his twatter account was claiming the Jews killed themselves in WW2 to frame Hitler for it I dont think you would want to employ that guy for a number of reasons.

It’s over."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,735 Posts

I certainly dont tell the police what I think about them because the worst crime in America is contempt of cop. I dont go around telling people that I think religious people are nutjobs. So I guess police and religious people are tyrants.

It’s over."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,735 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thethe View Post
    That’s the trick. Fascism is defined by opinions they disagree with. The best is that almost all history is captured and documented now because of the internet.

Accuse a good man of gang rape in front of his two young daughters? No issues here.

Being concerned about a statistically driven analysis and resistance to audit? Anti democratic nazis that deserve to be stripped of all rights.

Idiot masquerading as an intellectual behind excellent writing skills.

Care to tell me who is losing which right specifically because they claim election fraud?

It’s over."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,051 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cajunrevenge View Post
    Where and how you spend your money is speech. I dont agree with the twatter Puritans but what they are doing is not new. Used to be being outed as atheist, gay, trans, not-racist, etc were the things that got people canceled. All these people on the right dont have one problem with cancel culture, they are just mad because its happening to them. No one embodies cancel culture more than Donald Trump and I doubt you can find me many if any elected Republicans who criticized it from disgraced former President Trump.

I dont do twatter but are these things really organized? I doubt it is. Twatter only gave people a more direct line to communicate with the company. Previously it would take a letter writing campaign which take actual organization. They had laws against doing what you are talking about years ago, they were used to arrest MLK for organizing the bus boycott. So I see what these people do as just as much of them using their free speech as anyone else. Where the line people shouldnt cross is debatable but I am sure that line exists for you too. If you had an employee and you saw his twatter account was claiming the Jews killed themselves in WW2 to frame Hitler for it I dont think you would want to employ that guy for a number of reasons.
    I actually wouldn't care what employees said on twitter in their off hours. As long as they're not bringing it into the work place and causing issues.

I might judge the person's intelligence and wonder if they were smart enough to do the job but I wouldn't punish people because the believed or said things outside of work that were terrible.

But I honestly believe in the concept of free speech. Not just as a protection from government but as a principle.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,539 Posts
    I actually wouldn't care what employees said on twitter in their off hours. As long as they're not bringing it into the work place and causing issues.

I might judge the person's intelligence and wonder if they were smart enough to do the job but I wouldn't punish people because the believed or said things outside of work that were terrible.

But I honestly believe in the concept of free speech. Not just as a protection from government but as a principle.
    Generally agree. But let me push you a little. You wouldnt intervene if an employee was pushing pro pedophilia views on social media?
    "I am a victim, I will tell you. I am a victim."

"I am your retribution."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,051 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nsacpi View Post
    Generally agree. But let me push you a little. You wouldnt intervene if an employee was pushing pro pedophilia views on social media?
    It would depend if I thought the person was actually a pedophile or not. If they're pushing it in an academic sense, I'd think them an idiot but wouldn't punish them. If they were saying it because they liked little kids, that's the line.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,539 Posts
    It would depend if I thought the person was actually a pedophile or not. If they're pushing it in an academic sense, I'd think them an idiot but wouldn't punish them. If they were saying it because they liked little kids, that's the line.
    How about if the celebrity you hired to front your ad campaign was pushing it in an academic sense.

"I am your retribution."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,469 Posts
    I actually wouldn't care what employees said on twitter in their off hours.
    That's silly and spoken like someone who doesn't have employees or vested interest in your business.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,539 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by zitothebrave View Post
    That's silly and spoken like someone who doesn't have employees or vested interest in your business.
    The reality is most employees are effectively anonymous and what they say is never connected to their employer. Others are high profile and an employer should care. For example a news anchor who tweets crazy conspiracy theories is doing damage to his/her employer's brand.

"I am your retribution."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,469 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nsacpi View Post
    The reality is most employees are effectively anonymous and what they say is never connected to their employer. Others are high profile and an employer should care. For example a news anchor who tweets crazy conspiracy theories is doing damage to his/her employer's brand.
    Any company should have a social media policy where they can fire an employee because of their behavior on social media or in public. If you don't you can find yourself in an uphill battle, because even if you don't know everything your employee is doing, stuff could flip that back on you.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,787 Posts
    A bunch of HEVs at the world's largest media outlet

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,051 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by zitothebrave View Post
    It's how my boss runs the company. Something I fully agree with. Do whatever you want outside of work as long as you don't bring it in the door with you.

**NOT ACTUALLY RACIST
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    440 Posts
    It's how my boss runs the company. Something I fully agree with. Do whatever you want outside of work as long as you don't bring it in the door with you.

That’s how all companies should be run

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,787 Posts

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,051 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Krgrecw View Post
    That’s how all companies should be run
    It really should. Your boss is your boss, not your parent.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,787 Posts
    It really should. Your boss is your boss, not your parent.
    Asking people to allow for freedom in this country is a losing argument