Page 127 of 253 FirstFirst ... 2777117125126127128129137177227 ... LastLast
Results 2,521 to 2,540 of 5045

Thread: Is Free Speech Under Attack in this Country?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,064 Posts
    Liz Chaney about to be cancelled by Kevin McCarthy. She isn't allowed to have a sane opinion.
    FFF - BB, BB, 2B, HR, 2B, HR, 1B, BB, BB, 1B, BB, BB, HR

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Runnin For This Useful Post:

goldfly (05-05-2021)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,539 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Runnin View Post
    Liz Chaney about to be cancelled by Kevin McCarthy. She isn't allowed to have a sane opinion.
    Actually she can have a different opinion about just about any issue. Just is not allowed to tell the truth about the BIG LIE.
    "I am a victim, I will tell you. I am a victim."

"I am your retribution."

4. The Following User Says Thank You to nsacpi For This Useful Post:

goldfly (05-05-2021)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,737 Posts
    Or criticize Dear Leader. Voting with him 98% of the time just aint loyal enough.
    "Donald Trump will serve a second term as president of the United States.

It’s over."

Little Thethe Nov 19, 2020.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to cajunrevenge For This Useful Post:

goldfly (05-05-2021)

if my thought dreams could be seen goldfly's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,262 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sturg33 View Post
    Goldy is.totally.fine with the government arbitrarily deciding who "extremists" are.

There will probably be a day when the commies are considered extremists

Thankfully Biden is starting this precedent
    lol

i just saw this

hilarious for many reasons but i would have to cite historical reasons on why it's funny

and you hate history

which there is a quote about what happens when you don't know history too but i digress lol
    "For there is always light, if only we are brave enough to see it. If only we are brave enough to be it." Amanda Gorman

"When Fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,051 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Runnin View Post
    The treatment of her has been despicable. It's something I'd expect from the woke mob. Cancelling people for dissenting views is one thing conservatives are supposed to be against. Just despicable.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to striker42 For This Useful Post:

goldfly (05-05-2021), zitothebrave (05-05-2021)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by striker42 View Post
    The treatment of her has been despicable. It's something I'd expect from the woke mob. Cancelling people for dissenting views is one thing conservatives are supposed to be against. Just despicable.
    She is there to represent her constituency and not to express her own moral judgements.
    Natural Immunity Croc

Connoisseur of Minors zitothebrave's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,469 Posts
    It's because the Trump crowd is the original "woke mob" these are the same people who've been screaming for years to boycott Ben and Jerry's, boycott places that say Happy Holidays instead of Merry Christmas, boycott Kelloggs, every response to Kaepernick kneeling from burning jerseys to destroying Nike Apparel.

Don't forget, it was conservatives like Mike Cernovich who lead campaigns that originally got James Gunn fired from GotG 3 for old **** he tweeted. Yet some people still consider that troll a viable resource of information. Not a troll conspiracy theorist troll who's been a proponent of both Gamergate and Pizzagate
    Stockholm, more densely populated than NYC - sturg

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,469 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thethe View Post
    She is there to represent her constituency and not to express her own moral judgements.
    Then her constituents should vote her out in 2 years. She's not beholden to anyone. If people were we'd be passing laws that are way more progressive than are getting passed.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by zitothebrave View Post
    Then her constituents should vote her out in 2 years. She's not beholden to anyone. If people were we'd be passing laws that are way more progressive than are getting passed.
    She is not beholden to her voters? Is that serious?

And the Wyoming gop voted to censure her so that’s basically a direct rebuke from her constituency.
    Natural Immunity Croc

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,051 Posts
    And she'll have to answer to her voters. Using systems that have power over her to punish her for dissenting viewpoints is just the sort of cancel culture Republicans are supposed to be against. If she's not representing her voters, they can pick someone they believe will represent them better. It's not up to Republican leaders to punish her.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to striker42 For This Useful Post:

Jaw (05-05-2021)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,469 Posts
    She is not beholden to her voters? Is that serious?

And the Wyoming gop voted to censure her so that’s basically a direct rebuke from her constituency.
    They can do that, they can enjoy not getting as many kickbacks either because being on committees is a great way to secure funding to your constituents.

Also the Wyoming GOP is not her voters. It's the state body representing a national political party. Wouldn't it be funny for her to get re-elected despite her Party leadership censuring her?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,539 Posts
    She's not being cancelled for having a dissenting view. She dissents on various issues. That's never a problem. Every member of the GOP dissents in one way or another. Not a problem.

Liz's problem is telling the truth about the BIG LIE. That crosses a line. For once the word Orwellian is apt.
    "I am a victim, I will tell you. I am a victim."

"I am your retribution."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    And she'll have to answer to her voters. Using systems that have power over her to punish her for dissenting viewpoints is just the sort of cancel culture Republicans are supposed to be against. If she's not representing her voters, they can pick someone they believe will represent them better. It's not up to Republican leaders to punish her.
    The local party already censured her because of the outcry from the Wyoming gop voters. The house leadership is just doing what their voters want which is what they should be doing.
    Natural Immunity Croc

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by zitothebrave View Post
    They can do that, they can enjoy not getting as many kickbacks either because being on committees is a great way to secure funding to your constituents.

Also the Wyoming GOP is not her voters. It's the state body representing a national political party. Wouldn't it be funny for her to get re-elected despite her Party leadership censuring her?
    There is about as good of a chance of you and I being re-elected in Wyoming than cheaney does.
    Natural Immunity Croc

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nsacpi View Post
    She's not being cancelled for having a dissenting view. She dissents on various issues. That's never a problem. Every member of the GOP dissents in one way or another. Not a problem.

Liz's problem is telling the truth about the BIG LIE. That crosses a line. For once the word Orwellian is apt.
    Ah the termed lie without verifying a truth.

Convenient.
    Natural Immunity Croc

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,051 Posts
    The local party already censured her because of the outcry from the Wyoming gop voters. The house leadership is just doing what their voters want which is what they should be doing.
    The appropriate response to this is to let her stand for her next election. If her voters are that unhappy with her, they can pick someone new. There's no reason to censure someone or punish someone just because they have a dissenting viewpoint.

If the voters are crying for GOP leadership to punish her then the GOP leadership needs to man up and tell their constituents they're not going to engage in cancel culture because someone disagrees. That they'll leave Cheney's fate to the 2022 election.

Honestly, I don't care if it's GOP leadership or constituents calling for her punishment, either way it's just cancel culture. I despise cancel culture and find punishing people for holding a contrary opinion to be a despicable practice.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    The appropriate response to this is to let her stand for her next election. If her voters are that unhappy with her, they can pick someone new. There's no reason to censure someone or punish someone just because they have a dissenting viewpoint.

If the voters are crying for GOP leadership to punish her then the GOP leadership needs to man up and tell their constituents they're not going to engage in cancel culture because someone disagrees. That they'll leave Cheney's fate to the 2022 election.

Honestly, I don't care if it's GOP leadership or constituents calling for her punishment, either way it's just cancel culture. I despise cancel culture and find punishing people for holding a contrary opinion to be a despicable practice.
    Your job as an elected official is to represent your constituencies views. Not sure what’s controversial about that statement. Cheaney is not only not listening to her voters she is outright going against their views. She is effectively not doing her job so her voters are calling to stop her from exercising any power.

This isn’t a corporate America job were everyone is entitled to their viewpoints. As an elected official you don’t exist as a singular person when you are working. You are your people and when you go against your people you should be removed ASAP.
    Natural Immunity Croc

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,051 Posts
    Your job as an elected official is to represent your constituencies views. Not sure what’s controversial about that statement. Cheaney is not only not listening to her voters she is outright going against their views. She is effectively not doing her job so her voters are calling to stop her from exercising any power.

This isn’t a corporate America job were everyone is entitled to their viewpoints. As an elected official you don’t exist as a singular person when you are working. You are your people and when you go against your people you should be removed ASAP.
    Voters have a method of holding her accountable. It's called elections. They picked her in November so they're stuck with her until they go to the polls next year. Her not doing what her constituency wants means she's risking not being re-elected. I strongly disagree with the idea of party leadership punishing someone because they go against doctrine, even if that representative's constituency supports it. We're a representative democracy, not a direct democracy.

Also, I think her constituency is just a convenient excuse. Members of congress go against their constituency's wishes routinely but aren't punished. Cheney is getting targeted not because of she's disagreeing with her constituency, it's what she's disagreeing about. She's being cancelled for having the audacity to go against Trump.

You can support punishing her if you want, but don't try to redefine what it is. It's cancel culture.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    Voters have a method of holding her accountable. It's called elections. They picked her in November so they're stuck with her until they go to the polls next year. Her not doing what her constituency wants means she's risking not being re-elected. I strongly disagree with the idea of party leadership punishing someone because they go against doctrine, even if that representative's constituency supports it. We're a representative democracy, not a direct democracy.

Also, I think her constituency is just a convenient excuse. Members of congress go against their constituency's wishes routinely but aren't punished. Cheney is getting targeted not because of she's disagreeing with her constituency, it's what she's disagreeing about. She's being cancelled for having the audacity to go against Trump.

You can support punishing her if you want, but don't try to redefine what it is. It's cancel culture.
    These measures to censure and removal from leadership roles are important checks to prevent someone from outright lying to their voters and then selling out completely for an opposite agenda.

I’m not sure how anyone can think these are cancel culture measures. She is flat out not doing her job. Her job is to represent her people’s views. She should be fired 100%. Everyone knows that if she was up for re election tomorrow she wouldn’t get more than 15% of her parties vote.

But it’s not just about trump even though that’s a large role to be played. Cheaney is representative of the corporatist takeover of the GOP for the last 30 years. Cheaney is poison. The name alone should disgust anyone as she is associated with the worst or second worst presidency in our nations history.

The Republican Party is not the party of 20 years ago. She is not aligned with the viewpoints now. Her being removed is our government working.
    Natural Immunity Croc

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,051 Posts
    These measures to censure and removal from leadership roles are important checks to prevent someone from outright lying to their voters and then selling out completely for an opposite agenda.

I’m not sure how anyone can think these are cancel culture measures. She is flat out not doing her job. Her job is to represent her people’s views. She should be fired 100%. Everyone knows that if she was up for re election tomorrow she wouldn’t get more than 15% of her parties vote.

But it’s not just about trump even though that’s a large role to be played. Cheaney is representative of the corporatist takeover of the GOP for the last 30 years. Cheaney is poison. The name alone should disgust anyone as she is associated with the worst or second worst presidency in our nations history.

The Republican Party is not the party of 20 years ago. She is not aligned with the viewpoints now. Her being removed is our government working.
    But Cheney isn't someone who lied and then sold out her voters. She's not a democrat who acted like a Republican to get elected. She's been in that seat since 2017. She served in the Bush administration and her dad is Dick Cheney. Just because she presents a different viewpoint than the hard right isn't a reason for the party to punish her.

If she's not doing her job of representing her district then then appropriate action is to let her face her voters.

If she had gone along with the far right on Trump, would she be getting censured or stripped of roles right now? No. The impetus for this is her opposition of Trump. The far right is mad at her and they want her punished.

The Republican party probably represents only about 30% of the people that vote Republican these days. However that 30% represent about 60% of people who show up for primaries. The same is true of Democrats. That fact has pulled both parties to the extremes. This is why I think the parties should fracture. Cheney has about as much in common with the far right as she does with the far left.