Page 32 of 252 FirstFirst ... 2230313233344282132 ... LastLast

Thread: Is Free Speech Under Attack in this Country?

Not Actually Brian Hunter Metaphysicist's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    878 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sturg33 View Post
    Free speech is under attack my man.

From the government.

From businesses.

From society.

It's sad but it is indeed happening. And people like you lick the boot to support it
    *hard eye roll*

Criticism is also speech. Why do you hate speech? See I can make dumb accusations too.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,898 Posts
    Natural Immunity Croc

Waiting for Free Agency acesfull86's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    908 Posts
    Never ever ever ever apologize to the mob. They will still hate you

Fortunately Brees is hard to replace or he'd probably be looking for work. Like the Sacramento Kings' play-by-play announcer who made the mistake of suggesting "all lives matter"

if my thought dreams could be seen goldfly's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,262 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Metaphysicist View Post
    Kind of unbelievable that even when we have actual examples of the state using violence to suppress 1st amendment rights, sturg still only bumps this thread to whine about how some famous white guy gets criticized for saying something stupid.
    It’s on par actually

He’s a fraud
    "For there is always light, if only we are brave enough to see it. If only we are brave enough to be it." Amanda Gorman

"When Fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,262 Posts
    Never apologize lol

Holy ****
    "For there is always light, if only we are brave enough to see it. If only we are brave enough to be it." Amanda Gorman

"When Fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross"

I <3 Ron Paul + gilesfan sturg33's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,757 Posts

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,757 Posts
    Good thread here.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,533 Posts
    Good thread here.

I'm amazed that running Cotton's op-ed piece is controversial. His views are not fringy on this. I disagree with him (even think his views on this are deplorable) but there has to be room on their op-ed page for that kind of piece.
    Last edited by nsacpi; 06-04-2020 at 04:36 PM.
    "I am a victim, I will tell you. I am a victim."

"I am your retribution."

9. The Following User Says Thank You to nsacpi For This Useful Post:

acesfull86 (06-04-2020)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,898 Posts
    Natural Immunity Croc

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,710 Posts
    40% of the families of cops report being victims of domestic violence. Statistics are fun.
    "Donald Trump will serve a second term as president of the United States.

It’s over."

Little Thethe Nov 19, 2020.

Got the Call to Lynchburg
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    61 Posts
    If you have to ask, you'll never know.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,898 Posts
    Natural Immunity Croc

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,757 Posts

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,040 Posts
    The hashtag Cancel Drew Brees was trending yesterday. That's utter nonsense. What he said was tone deaf and displayed a lack of understanding but to try to group people together sufficient to pressure those with authority over him to take action against him for his speech is wrong.

Punishing people for voicing ideas you disagree with doesn't change minds. It just drives those ideas underground making them harder to defeat. Look at employment discrimination law. There was a time where people would give voice to their discrimination. Then that was used as evidence against them in court. So the discrimination didn't stop, people just stopped talking about it. (note, I'm not advocating against employment discrimination laws, I'm just noting this as an example of where discrimination remained unchanged in spite of the speech about it being driven down)

Waiting for Free Agency acesfull86's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    908 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by striker42 View Post
    The hashtag Cancel Drew Brees was trending yesterday. That's utter nonsense. What he said was tone deaf and displayed a lack of understanding but to try to group people together sufficient to pressure those with authority over him to take action against him for his speech is wrong.

Punishing people for voicing ideas you disagree with doesn't change minds. It just drives those ideas underground making them harder to defeat. Look at employment discrimination law. There was a time where people would give voice to their discrimination. Then that was used as evidence against them in court. So the discrimination didn't stop, people just stopped talking about it. (note, I'm not advocating against employment discrimination laws, I'm just noting this as an example of where discrimination remained unchanged in spite of the speech about it being driven down)
    Agreed.

Not to mention:

Drew Brees - "I will never agree with anybody disrespecting the flag of the United States of America or our country. Let me just tell you what I see or what I feel when the national anthem is played, and when I look at the flag of the United States. I envision my two grandfathers, who fought for this country during World War II, one in the Army and one in the Marine Corp. Both risking their lives to protect our country and to try to make our country and this world a better place."

Joe Biden - "“Instead of standing there and teaching a cop, when there’s an unarmed person coming at them with a knife or something, you shoot them in the leg instead of in the heart is a very different thing. There’s a lot of different things that could change."

Which one of those comments should have led the 48 hour news cycle, spurred calls of cancellation, and resulted in a demanded public apology? I say the (D) candidate for president should've been held to a higher standard than the quarterback of the Saints. But maybe that's just me.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,533 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by acesfull86 View Post
    Agreed.

Not to mention:

Drew Brees - "I will never agree with anybody disrespecting the flag of the United States of America or our country. Let me just tell you what I see or what I feel when the national anthem is played, and when I look at the flag of the United States. I envision my two grandfathers, who fought for this country during World War II, one in the Army and one in the Marine Corp. Both risking their lives to protect our country and to try to make our country and this world a better place."

Joe Biden - "“Instead of standing there and teaching a cop, when there’s an unarmed person coming at them with a knife or something, you shoot them in the leg instead of in the heart is a very different thing. There’s a lot of different things that could change."

Which one of those comments should have led the 48 hour news cycle, spurred calls of cancellation, and resulted in a demanded public apology? I say the (D) candidate for president should've been held to a higher standard than the quarterback of the Saints. But maybe that's just me.
    Maybe this one should have led the news cycle:

“When I joined the military, some 50 years ago, I swore an oath to support and defend the Constitution,” Mattis wrote. “Never did I dream that troops taking that same oath would be ordered under any circumstance to violate the Constitutional rights of their fellow citizens — much less to provide a bizarre photo op for the elected commander-in-chief, with military leadership standing alongside.”

“Donald Trump is the first president in my lifetime who does not try to unite the American people — does not even pretend to try. Instead, he tries to divide us,” Mattis wrote in a statement published by the Atlantic.

“We are witnessing the consequences of three years of this deliberate effort. We are witnessing the consequences of three years without mature leadership," he continued. “We can unite without him, drawing on the strengths inherent in our civil society. This will not be easy, as the past few days have shown, but we owe it to our fellow citizens; to past generations that bled to defend our promise; and to our children.”
    "I am a victim, I will tell you. I am a victim."

"I am your retribution."

18. The Following User Says Thank You to nsacpi For This Useful Post:

Runnin (06-06-2020)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,757 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by acesfull86 View Post
    Agreed.

Not to mention:

Wokeism is a religion without the forgiveness part.

There is only one opinion that can be freely shared.

And that segment of the population is getting larger.

Hence, I believe free speech is under attack in this country

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,757 Posts

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,040 Posts
    There's a line from the musical 1776 that I really like. They're voting on whether to debate declaring independence. One of the representatives says:

"Well, in all my years I ain't never heard, seen nor smelled an issue that was so dangerous it couldn't be talked about. Hell yeah! I'm for debating anything."

I wish more people had this philosophy.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,262 Posts
    Oh, I’ll for sure take someone serious that thinks middle America is “real America”

Nice racist dog whistle

But I love freedom/constitutionalist that’s always worried about the expanse of power for the govt

But he comes running to support the expansion of an abusive govt against citizens practicing their constitutional rights
    Last edited by goldfly; 06-06-2020 at 02:44 AM.