Page 4 of 91 FirstFirst ... 234561454 ... LastLast

Thread: 116th Congress

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,533 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thethe View Post
    yes because the issue was regarding Mexicans. It was pretty clear but that doesn't make his remarks about immigrants as a whole any less disgusting. This was just not an example of bigotry.
    not so...the issue before the judge was Trump University...Trump said Curiel couldn't be fair in handling the case due to his Mexican ancestry
    "I am a victim, I will tell you. I am a victim."

"I am your retribution."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,898 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nsacpi View Post
    not so...the issue before the judge was Trump University...Trump said Curiel couldn't be fair in handling the case due to his Mexican ancestry
    The issue at hand was wrong on my part but the underlying rationale provided doesn't change.
    Natural Immunity Croc

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,420 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sturg33 View Post
    Love that 57 has put a stake on the ground in this one.
    no stake in the ground - just dont buy into taking the Breitbart line of bigotry when people can't differentiate between an anti-semite and an anti-zionist.
    The issue is far - far more complicated than that
    The best way to stop a bad guy with a gun is to make sure he doesn’t get a gun.

Got the Call to Lynchburg
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    61 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 57Brave View Post
    no stake in the ground - just dont buy into taking the Breitbart line of bigotry when people can't differentiate between an anti-semite and an anti-zionist.
    The issue is far - far more complicated than that
    So by leftist logic all Breitbart readers are bigots and all Trump supporters are white supremists... since all anti-semites are also anti-zionist, you must be anti-semite. I think that's how it works right? That's been the underlying method of generalization by leftist "progressives" prevalent and on massive display since at least since 2016. The associative property of collectivism.

A Chip Off the Old Rock Julio3000's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,155 Posts
    I’m really not excited about weighing in here, but I’m going to give it the ol’ well-meaning try.

I’m going to stipulate that I don’t really see the “publicly deplore this Anti-Semite!” line as necessarily being in good faith, but I’m going to address it as if it were.

As generally weak and marginalized as the American left is, one of the things I appreciate about it is that there’s less frank anti-Senitism than in some European countries with more robust leftist (as opposed to liberal) politics. That may have something to do with the fact that the American Jewish population is and has always been a significant part of the DNA of the left in this country. There are certainly other is historical factors, of course, but that’s worth keeping in mind.

Another thing to consider is that (as 50 and 57 have mentioned) one can’t just take any accusation of anti-Semitism from any source at face value, as it is so often conflated with any anti-Zionist or anti-Likudnik sentiment. That is not to say that anti-Semitism doesn’t overlap in some of those circles. It does. But if you were connected to left politics you would see a lot of dialogue and a lot of criticism (and self-criticism) around issues of racism and anti-Semitism. Recently there’s been a lot of exploration of anti-Semitism in black America (where, in urban areas particularly, Jews were often viewed as exploiters) and of how Jews benefited from white supremacist policy. For my part, as a white Gentile, I just try to listen and learn. But those conversations happen, and IMO it’s a better tool for effecting understanding and change than merely criticizing identity politics and insisting that history be cast aside and we pretend to live in a society that’s past such considerations.

So as for Rep. Tlaib? I dunno. Palling around with a Hezbollah supporter is a bad look, and appears to indicate some really poor judgement, if not worse. Even at that, though, I’m not content with the terms of the debate here. I get off the bus well before endorsing Hezbollah or Hamas, but I have to ask: what form, given the context, would you expect opposition to occupation and expansionist policies to take? It’s likely not to be one that we wealthy, stable, comfortable Americans are comforted by. I’m not content to see people just railing against Iran without casting a critical eye towards US allies in the region, Israel and the Gulf States among them. It’s a big issue and there’s room for a more expansive view that values the human rights of EVERYONE involved.

And, finally, I have to add that it’s supremely ironic to see that tweet from “The Reagan Battalion,” ostensibly criticizing violent, drug-trafficking political movements in the ME, considering the Reagan Administration’s love for violent, drug-trafficking political movements in Central America, particularly the one illegally financed by arms sales to...Iran. Truly delicious.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Julio3000 For This Useful Post:

50PoundHead (01-15-2019), Runnin (01-14-2019)

I <3 Ron Paul + gilesfan sturg33's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,757 Posts
    It's tough to imagine Ms. Tlaib being a fair and unbiased supporter of Jewish people. From the map in her office:

I wish we'd just treat folks as individuals.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,757 Posts
    Unlike the media narrative and AOC's constant blithering, I've not seen a single prominent R defend King's comments...

This isn't hard folks.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,155 Posts
    I’m not even sure what that means.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,155 Posts
    Unlike the media narrative and AOC's constant blithering, I've not seen a single prominent R defend King's comments...

This isn't hard folks.

Um, yeah. And again...how about the last 10 times?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,155 Posts
    How about when he co-chaired Ted Cruz’s presidential campaign? Or when Trump appeared on stage with him and talked about how sympatico they were? Or when Ben Shapiro defended him? He wasn’t any less of a white supremacist then.

Making Atlanta Great Again!
    #MAGA!

Promises MADE, Promises KEPT!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,746 Posts
    It's tough to imagine Ms. Tlaib being a fair and unbiased supporter of Jewish people. From the map in her office:

I wish we'd just treat folks as individuals.
    You know, a lot of people are anti-Israel but not anti-semites.

Just like most of the people in Europe love Americans and American culture but think Trump is a joke and buffoon. And most Iranian people are Pro-America but not a fan of our government.

Have had this discussion with several of my Palestinian and Muslim friends here. They get along with Jews here. Where they start getting agitated is with Israeli government and the land grabbing the last few years.

I doubt we'll see a two-state solution anytime soon. Netanyahu and his ilk don't want it, nor does the American-Right Wing want to see an independent Palestine either.
    Forever Fredi

13. The Following User Says Thank You to The Chosen One For This Useful Post:

Runnin (01-14-2019)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,155 Posts
    Love seeing turds like this guy protected until the mask slips juuuust far enough to be indefensible.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,757 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Julio3000 View Post
    How about when he co-chaired Ted Cruz’s presidential campaign? Or when Trump appeared on stage with him and talked about how sympatico they were? Or when Ben Shapiro defended him? He wasn’t any less of a white supremacist then.
    If you want more people behaving like Trump, then by all means you can support folks on your side becoming just that.

I'm not expert on Steve King's career... I know he's said some things that have made folks angry and he's been called out on it several times from prominent members of the party.

I haven't seen anyone defending him here.

The overall point is that bigotry is bigotry. It's rampant on both sides but the left seems to be just fine with it specifically against white men. My point is, why can't we all just agree to treat people as individuals. I know this is nothing new. We've talked about it over and over and over again and you all have put your stake in the ground that certain bigotry is just fine today because of history.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,757 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Julio3000 View Post
    Love seeing turds like this guy protected until the mask slips juuuust far enough to be indefensible.
    Keep this in mind for people like Tlaib.

I don't know why all your friends who love Farrakhan aren't turds in your mind... oh wait, I do know why

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,155 Posts
    Keep this in mind for people like Tlaib.

I don't know why all your friends who love Farrakhan aren't turds in your mind... oh wait, I do know why
    Please. Who would that be?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,757 Posts
    We can start with Tlaib and her bestie Linda Sarsour

Obama buddied up to him knowingly before running for President.

At least several democratic senators who have met with him at least once.

The guy is still calling jews termites to this day, yet you have people seriously throwing support behind him with little to no consequence. I can't imagine this working the other way around - nor would I want it to. But I notice how you have no issues brushing these things off.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,898 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Individual-1 View Post
    You know, a lot of people are anti-Israel but not anti-semites.

Just like most of the people in Europe love Americans and American culture but think Trump is a joke and buffoon. And most Iranian people are Pro-America but not a fan of our government.

Have had this discussion with several of my Palestinian and Muslim friends here. They get along with Jews here. Where they start getting agitated is with Israeli government and the land grabbing the last few years.

I doubt we'll see a two-state solution anytime soon. Netanyahu and his ilk don't want it, nor does the American-Right Wing want to see an independent Palestine either.
    This is horse crap. Israel is the Jewish State. Plain and simple. The reason it was granted to the Jews is because everywhere they went they were being eradicated. When you are against Israel you are essentially against a safe haven for Jews because you think of Jews as sub-human.
    Natural Immunity Croc

Making Atlanta Great Again!
    #MAGA!

Promises MADE, Promises KEPT!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,746 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thethe View Post
    This is horse crap. Israel is the Jewish State. Plain and simple. The reason it was granted to the Jews is because everywhere they went they were being eradicated. When you are against Israel you are essentially against a safe haven for Jews because you think of Jews as sub-human.
    Lol. Ok.
    Forever Fredi

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,898 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Individual-1 View Post
    Lol. Ok.
    The rule with Antisemitism that I've learned over my lifetime is assume the worst and hope thats the best. If you think for a second this women cares at all for the Jewish people then you are a true ideologue that needs to rethink your positions.
    Natural Immunity Croc

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,420 Posts
    King had been the highest-ranking Republican on the powerful House Judiciary Committee, and has for years been an outspoken anti-immigration voice with a penchant for inflammatory rhetoric.

https://talkingpointsmemo.com/dc/hou...harged-remarks
    The best way to stop a bad guy with a gun is to make sure he doesn’t get a gun.