Results 1,661 to 1,680 of 1808

Thread: 116th Congress

Boras' Client
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    847 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thethe View Post
    Who is responsible for the concept of tenure and fighting for teachers with tenure despite their incompetence?
    Again, around here it's your "connections" usually either family or church or maybe some business related social club, ie Lions, Kiwanis, and so on. I have stated numerous times I have fought against bad teachers most of my adult life. I actually know what teachers (at least those who actually try) are up against. They have the least power of any group involved in the whole educational system and get the most blame. You're plenty smart enough to see through the BS and come up with an actual plan for improving our educational system which desperately needs it, but it's just way easier to go to the usual light bulb/bell approach.

I <3 Ron Paul + gilesfan sturg33's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,788 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Oklahomahawk View Post
    Again, around here it's your "connections" usually either family or church or maybe some business related social club, ie Lions, Kiwanis, and so on. I have stated numerous times I have fought against bad teachers most of my adult life. I actually know what teachers (at least those who actually try) are up against. They have the least power of any group involved in the whole educational system and get the most blame. You're plenty smart enough to see through the BS and come up with an actual plan for improving our educational system which desperately needs it, but it's just way easier to go to the usual light bulb/bell approach.
    The unions protect bad teachers

Boras' Client
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    847 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sturg33 View Post
    The unions protect bad teachers
    They also protect good teachers who are attacked because they try to teach the little ****s they are given to try and educate. Like I've said about 1000 times, I would love to get rid of bad teachers, but eliminating the legal protections unions provide (and this is really my only use for them) would make already shaky educational system crash and burn the rest of the way.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Oklahomahawk For This Useful Post:

goldfly (07-17-2020)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    An easy way to improve schools is to make the hiring process about getting the most qualified candidates in addition to ensuring that there are no roadblocks to have the most qualified people in every active position.

This isn't rocket science. There are an egregious amount of bad teachers that can't get fired. By supporting the tenure system what youre really saying is you support having worse teachers for your kids.
    Natural Immunity Croc

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,788 Posts
    I respectfully disagree.

Good employees dont get fired constantly in most businesses.

But bad employees do. Unions dont allow for that correction... and thus we have a ****ty education system

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    They also protect good teachers who are attacked because they try to teach the little ****s they are given to try and educate. Like I've said about 1000 times, I would love to get rid of bad teachers, but eliminating the legal protections unions provide (and this is really my only use for them) would make already shaky educational system crash and burn the rest of the way.
    If uou incentivized the whole system based on student academic performance then all good teachers would be safe.
    Natural Immunity Croc

Boras' Client
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    847 Posts
    An easy way to improve schools is to make the hiring process about getting the most qualified candidates in addition to ensuring that there are no roadblocks to have the most qualified people in every active position.

This isn't rocket science. There are an egregious amount of bad teachers that can't get fired. By supporting the tenure system what youre really saying is you support having worse teachers for your kids.
    If you had gone into education you'd know that administrators and a lot of school board members are among the largest group of idiots in positions of power you'll ever see. It's ALL about politics, continuing the local or regional status quo, making sure the next generation of community leaders (who just happen to be the offspring of this generation's community leaders) is groomed to take their rightful positions in society. The only group who might be more dense is the parents and I don't mean the parents of the good kids who try hard, I mean to ones who want their kids to get the grades, the scholarships, the accolades, etc., regardless of whether they put in the work to get them. Remember the recent scandals where those with money get their kids into college even if they can't tie their shoe laces?

In your rush to destroy teachers unions you can't see anything other than your assumption that the system will correct itself if they didn't exist. I don't know what the exact opposite of rocket science is, but I think you've found it.

Boras' Client
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    847 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sturg33 View Post
    I respectfully disagree.

Good employees dont get fired constantly in most businesses.

But bad employees do. Unions dont allow for that correction... and thus we have a ****ty education system
    And it's fine to disagree. Nothing wrong with that. In fact I think that's one of the things that used to make us great, the ability to disagree without becoming enemies.

Here's the problem, schools aren't businesses except in the area of funding. They know how to get and keep funding coming in. Did you read what I wrote the other day about the schools in this area who won't allow teachers to give any grade lower than a C to students no matter what they do or don't do? That keeps the money coming in and continues the assumption that education is going on as it should and nobody will know different (or care for that matter) until some time further down the road when it's too late.

Education is supposed to educate the kids, money should always be at least 2nd in priority. Somewhere along the line $$$ became the top priority and we can just assume "wink wink" that the educating is still going on even when it isn't. Don't rock the boat. Try it and see how long you keep a job in education. If teachers unions had 1 biggest fault of all (and I agree there are many) it's being too willing to work with administrators and parents, trying to keep everybody happy rather than work to establish a system that does exactly what it's supposed to do.

You're the business guy, destroying the current system will lead the privatization you crave but then you'll have schools geared ONLY to make money and you'll have schools popping up all over the place with only one real goal and it ain't being the best at educating kids, it'll be to getting and keep students so we can keep getting and keeping the money flowing in. Sound anything like the system we have now, except worse?

Boras' Client
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    847 Posts
    If uou incentivized the whole system based on student academic performance then all good teachers would be safe.
    Again, another assumption, which works great in a book on theory (so does communism by the way, it's just that it sucks major ass in the real world). In a perfect world I would agree with you 100%. I am all for a system where you get rewarded "or the opposite" based on your work ethic, your level of doing your best every day, and so on, but this depends on everybody being on board. Many kids won't learn if they have to work to do it and many kids are utterly ****ing lazy all the way to the bone, just like their parents. They want everything they want and they want it right now, but without the work involved. After all, good grades, good accolades, good scholarships, and all the good things that go along with it but they aren't willing to work for it. Posturing and threatening and bullying the administrators to make sure to "keep those teachers in line" is just so much easier.

Why do you think we can't balance the national budget? Too many people want too much pie but aren't willing to work to earn enough to buy the ingredients.

You tell me, in any world that exists in reality how are you going to educate the kids who would rather talk, or play on their phones, or plan their next party, or some other more fun section of their social structure and who simply aren't willing to listen, pay attention, do their work, etc.? You can assume that you can fix the whole system by destroying part of it, that's really all you're doing, assuming. So, what is your answer and I mean an actual answer, not a pie in the sky system that has never existed, doesn't exist now, and most likely never will exist? Put something together (an actual top to bottom system) and let me know.

I'll wait.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,420 Posts
    The best way to stop a bad guy with a gun is to make sure he doesn’t get a gun.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to 57Brave For This Useful Post:

goldfly (07-18-2020)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,420 Posts
    Politics1.com
    @Politics1com
    ·
    20m
    Cong Ted Yoho (R-FL) confronted Cong Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez (D-NY)

over a crime bill disagreement. Yoho told her she was "disgusting" and

"out of your freaking mind." AOC responded he was "being rude."

It ended with Yoho calling her a "****ing bitch."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,420 Posts

and again with that pesky anti-lynching bill
    Last edited by 57Brave; 07-22-2020 at 05:57 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,420 Posts
    AOC

2 years younger than Rep Yoho youngest daughter.
    Who he attempted to use as a shield, with a wink and a nod.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,420 Posts
    Pramila Jayapal

worth a listen
    ////
    world is changing

if my thought dreams could be seen goldfly's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,262 Posts
    "For there is always light, if only we are brave enough to see it. If only we are brave enough to be it." Amanda Gorman

"When Fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by goldfly View Post
    Awww....poor AOC.
    Natural Immunity Croc

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,788 Posts
    Didn't he apologize yesterday?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,052 Posts
    Politics is so tame these days. People forget that in the 1850s a member of the Senate was beaten unconscious by a member of the House INSIDE the Senate chamber.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,539 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by striker42 View Post
    Politics is so tame these days. People forget that in the 1850s a member of the Senate was beaten unconscious by a member of the House INSIDE the Senate chamber.
    i dunno...seems like Yoho got eviscerated today...the janitor is mopping up the viscera left on the floor

in the Bronx they call it a shanking
    Last edited by nsacpi; 07-23-2020 at 01:46 PM.
    "I am a victim, I will tell you. I am a victim."

"I am your retribution."

if my thought dreams could be seen goldfly's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,262 Posts
    Only you could argue that that was an apology

As if that should just be the end of it though. Lol
    "For there is always light, if only we are brave enough to see it. If only we are brave enough to be it." Amanda Gorman

"When Fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross"