Page 53 of 91 FirstFirst ... 343515253545563 ... LastLast
Results 1,041 to 1,060 of 1808

Thread: 116th Congress

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,420 Posts
    Aren't we talking about asylum seekers , where international law sets the guidelines.

As far a suggestions/ recomendations, back at Christmas time when Trump threatened to send troops, wasnt the idea floated that instead of spending on military deployment spend on more clerks to process asylum seekers.

And what is our role in Guatemalan/ Honduran politics?
    I seem to remember years of coups ,overthrows and CIA involvement.
    The reaction to us meddling in those country's politics is the gangs these refugees are fleeing.

Correct me if that is wrong

A Chip Off the Old Rock Julio3000's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,155 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sturg33 View Post
    So now the 'American Dream' means I get my dream paid for by others?

Is the only solution these losers ever propose is giving away things for free on the back of the responsible people?

Couple of things occur to me about this.

First, I’m going to—yet again—note the “responsible people” language. Being extremely wealthy =/= being responsible. The majority of wealth in America is inherited.

It is, to a large degree, members of that class who have lifelong access to elite institutions, which helps to sustain that dynamic.

Weren’t we melting down a couple of weeks ago because a kid lost a spot at an elite institution because of racist stuff? Well, certainly, not everyone can go to their dream school. But it’s illuminating to see what purported entitlements you go to bat for and which ones you dismiss.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,155 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thethe View Post
    About to go find my 2 mil dream house.

Jesus the left is so stupid.
    Yes, because there’s no difference between wanting to purchase a luxury good and wanting an education that will lead to greater opportunity and social mobility.

I <3 Ron Paul + gilesfan sturg33's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,756 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Julio3000 View Post
    Couple of things occur to me about this.

First, I’m going to—yet again—note the “responsible people” language. Being extremely wealthy =/= being responsible. The majority of wealth in America is inherited.

It is, to a large degree, members of that class who have lifelong access to elite institutions, which helps to sustain that dynamic.

Weren’t we melting down a couple of weeks ago because a kid lost a spot at an elite institution because of racist stuff? Well, certainly, not everyone can go to their dream school. But it’s illuminating to see what purported entitlements you go to bat for and which ones you dismiss.
    Yes you can be triggered about the responsible comment and you can remain wrong.

The people who made the decision to not take on debt or responsibly pay off their debt dont need to be stolen from in order to achieve someone's $300k "dream education"

And yeah, when Kasuv demands I pay for his college, I'll call him irresponsible too.

But he wont.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,756 Posts
    Yes, because there’s no difference between wanting to purchase a luxury good and wanting an education that will lead to greater opportunity and social mobility.
    So person gets all the benefits of the product without incurring any of the costs?

Tell me more about how responsible that is

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,420 Posts
    education is "product" ?

hmmm
    The best way to stop a bad guy with a gun is to make sure he doesn’t get a gun.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,898 Posts
    I got a great job out of a city school. Tell me again why someone needs to go to a private school at 25k a year?
    Natural Immunity Croc

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,756 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 57Brave View Post
    education is "product" ?

hmmm
    Yep

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,756 Posts
    I got a great job out of a city school. Tell me again why someone needs to go to a private school at 25k a year?
    Because it's their dream!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,533 Posts
    City and state schools and community colleges are great bargains. Expensive private schools are a luxury. I think that should inform the way student aid is set up. At least the part of student aid that is publicly funded.
    "I am a victim, I will tell you. I am a victim."

"I am your retribution."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,898 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nsacpi View Post
    City and state schools and community colleges are great bargains. Expensive private schools are a luxury. I think that should inform the way student aid is set up. At least the part of student aid that is publicly funded.
    Thats why i used the 2 million house as an example. It might be nicer and provide some additional value but my 330k house (thats appreciated to 500k) worked out very nicely for me.

In no way should we fund a choice to go to a 25k school. Its stupid to even suggest we should.

I had the grades/test scores to go to ivy league but knew i had no chance to pay. Thats why i went to binghamton and afterwards queens college.
    Natural Immunity Croc

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,533 Posts
    Hell hath no fury...

RIP Duncan Hunter

https://www.politico.com/story/2019/...ffairs-1382197

"I am your retribution."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,533 Posts
    Thats why i used the 2 million house as an example. It might be nicer and provide some additional value but my 330k house (thats appreciated to 500k) worked out very nicely for me.

In no way should we fund a choice to go to a 25k school. Its stupid to even suggest we should.

I had the grades/test scores to go to ivy league but knew i had no chance to pay. Thats why i went to binghamton and afterwards queens college.
    Hey I was at Queens College a couple weekends ago. Son was playing a basketball tournament. Then went for Dim Sum for Father's Day with the fam.

"I am your retribution."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,155 Posts
    Hmm. Well, at no point did I say that anyone was entitled to anything. Just pointed out that you guys think that Kyle Kashuv is entitled to a spot at Harvard and that you support the perpetuation of plutocratic control of admission to elite institutions. Hey, just pay attention to whose entitlement you’re supporting, when questions of entitlement arise.

And, I’m confused by being accused of being triggered by truth. Whatever you think of its merits, inherited wealth is neither earned nor a by-product of responsibility. You talk meritocracy, but where the rubber meets the road, you prefer plutocracy every time.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,756 Posts
    Hmm. Well, at no point did I say that anyone was entitled to anything. Just pointed out that you guys think that Kyle Kashuv is entitled to a spot at Harvard and that you support the perpetuation of plutocratic control of admission to elite institutions. Hey, just pay attention to whose entitlement you’re supporting, when questions of entitlement arise.

And, I’m confused by being accused of being triggered by truth. Whatever you think of its merits, inherited wealth is neither earned nor a by-product of responsibility. You talk meritocracy, but where the rubber meets the road, you prefer plutocracy every time.
    Kyle Kasuv presumably earned a spot at Harvard and then they revoked it by digging up private comments from a 16 year old.

That kid just happens to be conservative.

Over 39% of this free education handout would go to kids whose parents earn 120k.

I prefer people not demanding others to pay their way. You acting like all kids who dont have debt are a result of wealthy parents is preposterous. I dont have debt and I grew up poor. Even if my parents paid for me, that's their right and is not a burden on anyone else in this country.

Taking money from someone with no intention of paying it back is not only irresponsible, it is immoral. The fact that this has to be explained is insane

Meanwhile, none of these dumbass free everything for everyone plans will do anything to address the problem.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,756 Posts
    And again, if education is a "right", then why not cancel mortgage debt? Surely a house is more important to survival than a bachelor's degree?

If getting these people out of student loan debt will spur the economy, why are the same people so vehemently against tax cuts?

All this does is incentivize irresponsible behavior. Much like the bank bailouts.... what is the incentive to be responsible?

My fiance has 200k in medical school debt and she legit asked me if she should stop paying her loans bc they may be one day forgiven.

This is someone who God-willing will make hundreds of thousands of dollars...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,898 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nsacpi View Post
    Hey I was at Queens College a couple weekends ago. Son was playing a basketball tournament. Then went for Dim Sum for Father's Day with the fam.
    Dim Sum is great. Did you try the chicken feet? I was not a fan.
    Natural Immunity Croc

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,898 Posts

You mocked my hyperbole by stating its a luxury item and not a necessity. Well thats how i feel about private schools.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,533 Posts
    Dim Sum is great. Did you try the chicken feet? I was not a fan.
    Went to Kung Fu Xiao, which was great. I'm used to the Chinatown in Manhattan, but the one in Flushing seemed pretty good. I've chicken feet, but its not one of my favorites. I prefer shredded pig's ear.

"I am your retribution."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,756 Posts
    Awesome. Now even less beds for the kids!!