Page 58 of 91 FirstFirst ... 848565758596068 ... LastLast
Results 1,141 to 1,160 of 1808

Thread: 116th Congress

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,710 Posts
    I dont know whats going on in Republicanland but I have had several people I know who are Republicans who insist that the minimum wage is now 15$ an hour. Anyone know where they are getting this from?
    "Donald Trump will serve a second term as president of the United States.

It’s over."

Little Thethe Nov 19, 2020.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,710 Posts
    https://news.vice.com/en_us/article/...rce=reddit.com

The cop who said AoC should be shot has now been fired. Apparently the excuse "just needs more training" doesnt work when he had just attended training on using social media. Best part is he was so upset about a fake quote to begin with.

It’s over."

Arbitration Eligible
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    773 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cajunrevenge View Post
    I dont know whats going on in Republicanland but I have had several people I know who are Republicans who insist that the minimum wage is now 15$ an hour. Anyone know where they are getting this from?
    It sounds like people who don't know how the legislative process works. Congress passed a 15 dollar federal minimum wage, but its obviously gonna die in the Senate.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,898 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Julio3000 View Post
    I get that you think that AOC is, like, actually stupid. That take is purely explained by the media you consume. Garbage in, garbage out. “Betting” that says a lot about you, frankly. Whatever you think of her politics, her work in hearings shows a lot more capacity than you’re willing to admit, for obvious reasons.
    She is sn actredd thst can put on a great performance when given a script.
    Natural Immunity Croc

Arbitration Eligible
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    773 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Julio3000 View Post
    I get that you think that AOC is, like, actually stupid. That take is purely explained by the media you consume. Garbage in, garbage out. “Betting” that says a lot about you, frankly. Whatever you think of her politics, her work in hearings shows a lot more capacity than you’re willing to admit, for obvious reasons.
    She's not incompetent in some regards, but she's also not exactly the brightest member of congress. We are talking about the woman who thought an accounting error could pay for 66% of Medicare For All and the woman who thought that unemployment was so low because people worked multiple jobs.

Also, let's not pretend that 99% of the voting population don't live in a media bubble. If you find a Democrat that watches conservative media unironically in order to challenge their own preconceptions, congratulations. You just found a unicorn. Same goes for the right.

I'm guilty of it myself. If it weren't for some Joe Rogan guests, the occasional Tim Pool video, and Destiny debates on youtube then I would almost never consume media that challenged my libertarian leaning ideals. I would only consume media that served to reinforce positions that I already held deeply. Thank God for left leaning individuals who are reasonable and rational enough that they can present differing ideas in a way that are more digestible for someone like me. Because I could watch 1000 hours of Hasan Piker or Steve Shives and walk away without questioning a single opinion that I'd ever held.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,710 Posts
    I couldnt agree more. People need to get out of their echo chambers and media bubbles. If you need to only listen to one sided media to justify your political beliefs then you are just a parrot.

It’s over."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,898 Posts
    I watch people like Maher because you can see the cracks with traditional liberals. They realize how insane tge progressive/woke left is now. Its glorious.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,041 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cajunrevenge View Post
    https://news.vice.com/en_us/article/...rce=reddit.com

The cop who said AoC should be shot has now been fired. Apparently the excuse "just needs more training" doesnt work when he had just attended training on using social media. Best part is he was so upset about a fake quote to begin with.
    I'm actually very much against this. He's a public employee so you actually have the government taking official action to the officer's detriment based on the content of his speech he made on his own time on his personal social media account. I don't care if his speech is vile, it should still be protected from government action.

Waiting for Free Agency acesfull86's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    908 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sturg33 View Post
    The squad never fails

I feel like when the minimum wage issue is brought up, the person who says “why not 50 an hour, or 100, or 200” gets mocked, and yet here is a member of Congress arguing for a wage 33% higher than the one that just got through the House. What’s her justification? Well, milk and eggs are more expensive, of course! (BTW, I’m not sure what the price of milk is today, but it had been dropping for years...it was avg $2.85 a gallon in 2018, under $3 for the first time since 2003).

Bernie Sanders (Bernie Sanders!) was just made to look like a capitalist when confronted with the $15 min wage and cut back hours in response. Yet it seems some will continue to plow forward asking for more, unwilling to even acknowledge that there are trade offs.
    Last edited by acesfull86; 07-23-2019 at 08:11 AM.

**NOT ACTUALLY RACIST
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    440 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by acesfull86 View Post
    I feel like when the minimum wage issue is brought up, the person who says “why not 50 an hour, or 100, or 200” gets mocked, and yet here is a member of Congress arguing for a wage 33% higher than the one that just got through the House. What’s her justification? Well, milk and eggs are more expensive, of course! (BTW, I’m not sure what the price of milk is today, but it had been dropping for years...it was avg $2.85 a gallon in 2018, under $3 for the first time since 2003).

Bernie Sanders (Bernie Sanders!) was just made to look like a capitalist when confronted with the $15 min wage and cut back hours in response. Yet it seems some will continue to plow forward asking for more, unwilling to even acknowledge that there are trade offs.
    They’re Morons. It’s kind of sad to sit back and watch the Democratic Party implode. Pelosi can’t contain ‘the squad’

I <3 Ron Paul + gilesfan sturg33's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,759 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BeanieAntics View Post
    She's not incompetent in some regards, but she's also not exactly the brightest member of congress. We are talking about the woman who thought an accounting error could pay for 66% of Medicare For All and the woman who thought that unemployment was so low because people worked multiple jobs.
    I get my AOC news from AOC's twitter feed. Her words speak for themselves.

Julio has always had this weird "AOC is actually really smart" defense despite all evidence suggesting otherwise.

Your two examples are bad enough. But have we already forgotten the Green New Deal? A deal so laughably stupid that not a single climate alarmist dem would put their yes vote on it?

What about when she laughably thought NYC was cutting Amazon a $3B check to bring them to the city? And now that they're not, they can simply give that $3B to their firefighters

When she was parroting the 70% tax rates... she very clearly just learned the concept of progressive income rates... watching her explain it over and over again was hilarious

She is also a proponent of MMT... which, yeah

All that is to say, I'm willing to bet she doesn't know what the federal reserve is.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,420 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by acesfull86 View Post

Mckayla Wilkes for Congress
    @MeetMckayla
    ·
    3h
    $15/hr = $2,121.25/mo after taxes. Low estimates in my hometown:

Rent: $1550
    Transportation: $200
    Groceries: $200
    Phone: $50
    Electric: $60
    Internet: $50

= $11.25 for childcare, healthcare, everything else.

$15 is a good move, but @RashidaTlaib
    is right – it’s not enough.
    ////////////

@MeetMckayla
    Progressive primary challenger of Steny Hoyer to represent MD-05. She/her.
    The best way to stop a bad guy with a gun is to make sure he doesn’t get a gun.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    908 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 57Brave View Post
    Mckayla Wilkes for Congress
    @MeetMckayla
    ·
    3h
    $15/hr = $2,121.25/mo after taxes. Low estimates in my hometown:

Rent: $1550
    Transportation: $200
    Groceries: $200
    Phone: $50
    Electric: $60
    Internet: $50

= $11.25 for childcare, healthcare, everything else.

$15 is a good move, but @RashidaTlaib
    is right – it’s not enough.
    ////////////

@MeetMckayla
    Progressive primary challenger of Steny Hoyer to represent MD-05. She/her.
    And when your ruthless capitalist boss like Bernie Sanders reduces your hours so you’re not getting paid more money, you’re just working fewer hours, what’s the next move?

10 yr, $185 million Extension
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    853 Posts
    I am a big proponent of helping those in need, but I will never get over using the minimum wage to do so. It’s a never-ending race between wages and cost of living, all while further incentivizing automation.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to mqt For This Useful Post:

The Chosen One (07-23-2019)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    908 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mqt View Post
    I am a big proponent of helping those in need, but I will never get over using the minimum wage to do so. It’s a never-ending race between wages and cost of living, all while further incentivizing automation.
    Agreed. The min wage is just not an effective anti poverty tool

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,420 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mqt View Post
    Rep. Ilhan Omar
    @Ilhan
    ·
    2h
    The majority of the airline food service workers earn less than $15 an hour.

Over the past 5 years these airlines have earned a combined profit of $50 million.

$50M??
    Last edited by 57Brave; 07-23-2019 at 05:46 PM.

10 yr, $185 million Extension
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    853 Posts
    Rep. Ilhan Omar
    @Ilhan
    ·
    2h
    The majority of the airline food service workers earn less than $15 an hour.

Over the past 5 years these airlines have earned a combined profit of $50 million.
    If the airline food service workers earn $15 an hour, it likely will lead to that $50 million profit remaining, but coming in the form of higher revenues from the increased prices charged to customers. Or the profit will be reduced due to the price exceeding the amount demand would dictate and cause fewer people to be employed. Raising the minimum wage is ultimately a half measure toward income inequality that impacts everyone.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,420 Posts
    Pay under $15/hr is slave wages

I dont care about profits to share holders. In fact really dont care about whether the investor class makes a dime --- it is/was documented should McD raise their min Wage it would increase the price of a Big Mac $0.17.

Bastian, who became CEO (Delta) in May, 2016, received roughly $13.2 million in compensation, mostly in stock, as he is paid a base salary of $800,000. That pay was 142 times greater than the median pay for Delta’s workers overall, a new metric companies are required by the Securities & Exchange Commission to report now.

https://skift.com/2018/05/29/these-u...ney-last-year/

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    908 Posts
    I dont care about profits to share holders. In fact really dont care about whether the investor class makes a dime
    LOL, because I bet that would just be great for the workers of that company

**NOT ACTUALLY RACIST
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    440 Posts
    Pay under $15/hr is slave wages

I dont care about profits to share holders. In fact really dont care about whether the investor class makes a dime --- it is/was documented should McD raise their min Wage it would increase the price of a Big Mac $0.17.

Bastian, who became CEO (Delta) in May, 2016, received roughly $13.2 million in compensation, mostly in stock, as he is paid a base salary of $800,000. That pay was 142 times greater than the median pay for Delta’s workers overall, a new metric companies are required by the Securities & Exchange Commission to report now.

https://skift.com/2018/05/29/these-u...ney-last-year/
    So you don’t own any stocks or funds?