Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Good news

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,625 Posts

Good news

It's easy to get caught up in only bad or contentious news, so this is a thread is for positive, impactful, non controversial news or stories.

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Jaw For This Useful Post:

Runnin (10-11-2017), Tapate50 (10-10-2017), weso1 (10-09-2018)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,625 Posts
    https://www.peoplesworld.org/article...ve-the-future/

“Mully”: Film aims to spark a movement to save the future

Premiering on October 3 for a limited three-night engagement in U.S. theaters, Mully tells the story of what happens when a six-year-old boy is abandoned by his family and left to raise himself on the rough streets and dirt roads of Kenya. The film is a portrayal of the true story of Charles Mully, an orphaned child who grew up to be a man with wealth and power who ultimately gave up his riches in order to lead a social movement to save the millions of orphaned children in his home country.

In the late 1980s, Mully sold all of his businesses and dedicated the proceeds to helping street children in Kenya through means of rescue, shelter, medical care, emotional support, and education. He went on to be deemed “Father to the Fatherless,” and through his resilience, and the support of his wife Esther Mully, plus his eight biological children, saved more than 23,000 abandoned children and counting.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,625 Posts
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p05j116m

Carbon-ion battery could mean rapid charging
    A new type of battery could mean we can charge our home appliances and electric vehicles in seconds.

British start-up Zap&Go has developed carbon-ion supercapacitors which allow the rapid charging.

While the current version is not able to store much power, future generations should be able to store much more.

The company has ultimately set its sights on the automotive industry

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,625 Posts
    http://bgr.com/2017/10/09/puerto-ric...-project-loon/

Google balloons set to bring internet to Puerto Rico

Despite the best efforts of cell companies, the vast majority of Puerto Rico is offline. Internet coverage might seem like a luxury when people are struggling for clean water and power, but communications make moving essential supplies much easier, and enables lost families and friends to find each other.

That’s why the FCC has granted an emergency license to Google parent company Alphabet to deploy 30 balloons over the island, with the intention of providing basic internet service while the conventional cell network is brought back online.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Jaw For This Useful Post:

Tapate50 (10-10-2017)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,625 Posts
    Surveillance video of the moment a little girl is told that her foster family has been approved to adopt her:

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Jaw For This Useful Post:

CK86 (10-26-2017), goldfly (10-11-2017), Tapate50 (10-11-2017)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,881 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaw View Post
    Surveillance video of the moment a little girl is told that her foster family has been approved to adopt her:

Wow. Thanks for posting. That's great stuff right there.

This thread is LONG overdue.
    Ivermectin Man

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,064 Posts
    Braves young pitchers dominate the first game of the Arizona Fall League.

Fried leads Braves quartet to 16 Ks in AFL opener
    FFF - BB, BB, 2B, HR, 2B, HR, 1B, BB, BB, 1B, BB, BB, HR

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Runnin For This Useful Post:

Jaw (10-11-2017)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,625 Posts
    https://www.clickondetroit.com/news/...ddy-in-heaven-

Kollin and Keegan Cass, the two young children, wrote a letter "To Daddy in Heaven," a message tied to some helium-filled balloons, and let loose into the sky.

The letters were sent on Father's Day this year. Two days later, the package landed in the backyard of Heather and Tim Wilcox in Petrolia, Ontario, about 175 miles away.

"We felt it was important to reach out to this family because they were grieving," Heather told the CBC. "On our behalf it was a very small gesture to help a family."

Wilcox sent a large cardboard box to the Michigan Cass family filled with gifts from their "guardian angels," helpers that their father selected.

"They didn't really know at first what it was," explained Samantha. But once the children opened the box, it all came together. As soon as three-year-old Keegan found a big stuffed animal she said, "A teddy bear from daddy!"

Her brother's reaction was almost identical as he uncovered a toy replica of his late father's red car, "A Corvette, it's just like my dad's!"

"It's above and beyond to even reach out and offer support in my opinion but to then go that extra step," Samantha Cass said. "I fully believe Kyle picked this family to do something amazing for my kids."

Samantha sent the Wilcox family a video of the kids opening the package.

"We cried… We were very happy it gave them some joy and it was very touching for us to see we were able to do one small thing to help them," Wilcox said.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,625 Posts
    http://www.wcjb.com/content/news/We-...452006103.html

Julius Long was watching the protests outside of Richard Spencer’s rally. Randy Furniss was there to hear Spencer speak.

they say meeting each other was fate.

“Devine timing,” Long said.

“It was worth getting my teeth knocked into,” Furniss said.

They met when tickets sold out and Furniss was turned away.

He says protesters swarmed him - kicking, spitting, and even punching him.

“The only thing I saw out there at the rally was more racial separation,” Furniss said.

Long stepped in to help Furniss, and both were kicked out of the protest area..

“The people that were saying anti-hate, love, love, love, were the same people showing that ignorance and showing hate,” Long said.

But they say everything that happened that day was fate.

“They said, 'what would’ve happened if you got in there?’ I said, there’s a great possibility I would’ve been re-raticalized,” Furniss said.

Furniss and Long walked around talking for hours.

"They looked so confused to see us walking down the street, and we were just talking, having a conversation,” Long said.
    “With communication we can get an understanding and build relationships,” Long said.
    A lifelong friendship has begun.

“We’re going to have some adventures together,” Long said.

Long and Furniss hope together they can spread a message of love, rather than one of hate.
    Last edited by Jaw; 10-23-2017 at 12:30 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,625 Posts
    http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/london...363968?cmp=rss

"We saw this man seated on the swing and he was very clearly upset," said the recreational therapist. "A lot of yelling and it seemed like he was hitting himself."

Noticing a number of concerned parents at the park, Horton called 911 and told the dispatcher there was a man having a mental health crisis at the park.

"I didn't want it to get to the point where people were thinking he was dangerous. He might have just been having the worst day of his life."

Horton sat down at a nearby picnic table and waited until a police officer arrived a short time later. What happened next took him by such surprise that he took a photo to capture the moment.

"I thought it was a compassionate and beautiful thing with the officer sitting down at a swing beside the person, rather than confronting them."

Horton said the officer spoke to the man for about 30 minutes, slowly inching closer.

"And as the conversation drew on, the cop kind of sat at a swing closer and closer until he was right beside the person."

It was only when the man had calmed down that a couple of other officers arrived, only approaching the pair when it seemed appropriate.

In the end, Horton said the man got up and walked away with the officers.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,625 Posts
    http://www.foxnews.com/world/2017/10...-5-months.html

Navy rescues mariners, dogs stranded in Pacific Ocean for 5 months

Two Hawaiian mariners and their two dogs were rescued Wednesday after their sailboat strayed well off course during a trip to Tahiti and they were stranded in the Pacific Ocean for several months, the U.S. Navy said.

The USS Ashland, part of the Navy's 7th Fleet, picked up Jennifer Appel and Tasha Fuiaba, both from Honolulu, after they were discovered 900 miles southeast of Japan by a Taiwanese fishing vessel.

The mariners had originally set sail with their two dogs from Hawaii to Tahiti this spring. After having engine problems on May 30 during bad weather, the two thought they could make it to land by using only their sail, according to the Navy.

Very Flirtatious, but Doubts What Love Is. jpx7's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,829 Posts
    http://www.wcjb.com/content/news/We-...452006103.html

Julius Long was watching the protests outside of Richard Spencer’s rally. Randy Furniss was there to hear Spencer speak.

they say meeting each other was fate.

“Devine timing,” Long said.

“It was worth getting my teeth knocked into,” Furniss said.

They met when tickets sold out and Furniss was turned away.

He says protesters swarmed him - kicking, spitting, and even punching him.

“The only thing I saw out there at the rally was more racial separation,” Furniss said.

Long stepped in to help Furniss, and both were kicked out of the protest area..

“The people that were saying anti-hate, love, love, love, were the same people showing that ignorance and showing hate,” Long said.

But they say everything that happened that day was fate.

“They said, 'what would’ve happened if you got in there?’ I said, there’s a great possibility I would’ve been re-raticalized,” Furniss said.

Furniss and Long walked around talking for hours.

"They looked so confused to see us walking down the street, and we were just talking, having a conversation,” Long said.
    “With communication we can get an understanding and build relationships,” Long said.
    A lifelong friendship has begun.

“We’re going to have some adventures together,” Long said.

Long and Furniss hope together they can spread a message of love, rather than one of hate.
    "Devine timing"? "Re-raticalized"? Oof.
    "For all his tattooings he was on the whole a clean, comely looking cannibal."

17. The Following User Says Thank You to jpx7 For This Useful Post:

Runnin (10-26-2017)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,064 Posts
    Eastern Atlantic, Mediterranean bluefin tuna catch expected to increase 50% by 2020

An international conservation commission has issued a report projecting that the total allowable catch for bluefin tuna in the Eastern Atlantic Ocean and the Mediterranean Sea could be raised by 50 percent from the current level by 2020, a Japanese government agency said Thursday.

Taking the estimate as a sign of improving stocks of the fish, which have been threatened by overfishing, Japan plans to ask for an increased national quota at a regular meeting of the International Commission for the Conservation of Atlantic Tunas to be held in Morocco in November, the Fisheries Agency said.

The total allowable catch is currently set at about 23,000 tons per year, with the biggest quota, of around 13,000 tons, allocated to the European Union. Japan’s quota is 1,900 tons.

In a report on the meeting of the commission’s Standing Committee on Research and Statistics, the organization said it is possible the total allowable catch could expand to 36,000 tons by 2020.

Japan is known to consume about 80 percent of the world’s bluefin tuna.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,625 Posts
    http://nypost.com/2017/10/26/man-enj...ot-long-penis/

Man enjoys life after losing 3-foot-long penis

A Kenyan man with a 3-foot penis and 11 pound testicles is finally getting the chance to live a normal life — now that his massive package has been surgically reduced, reports said.

Horace Owiti Opiyo, known as Forence, first noticed a cyst on his genitals back in 2006 and had it removed — but it came back with a vengeance a year later, bringing the length of his penis to almost a meter, the Mirror reported.

“I told my grandmother that I have been infected by a disease, but I’m not sure what it is. It could be a curse. I knew this was not God’s work, but the devil’s,” Forence said.

The condition can actually be caused from a mosquito biting and injecting larvae into the bloodstream, which can develop into parasitic worms that block the body’s drainage system and cause swelling.

Forence’s neighbor put his story on social media and it quickly went viral, garnering the attention of a local governor’s wife, who ordered a doctor to inspect him.

He was given two operations to reduce the size of the scrotum and rebuild the penis so it can be used, and he couldn’t be more relieved.

“When I got up, I was surprised that my body was so light. All the heaviness had gone … I’m swimming now. I couldn’t go anywhere near the water because of the heaviness of that thing,” Forence said after the surgery.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,064 Posts
    When Girl With Winning Score is Denied Title, Runner-up Offers Trophy: ‘I didn’t win, you did’

It may be the 21st century, but this archaic golf tournament rule said that Emily Nash could not be given a trophy or award for her score – even though she played better than all the boys.

The 16-year-old was allowed to compete on the Lunenburg High School boy’s team in the Central Mass Division 3 Boys’ Golf Tournament in Lunenburg, Massachusetts earlier this week. But in spite of being able to contribute to the team’s score, she could not be recognized as an individual player.

Emily only realized this after she achieved the best score – 3-over-par – but was denied the title. The trophy was instead awarded to Nico Ciolino of AMSA Charter School, who finished four strokes behind Emily.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,625 Posts
    We can use cosmic rays to analyze stone structures now.

https://apnews.com/5ba4676be5ef450f9...-Great-Pyramid
    Scientists say they have found a hidden chamber in Egypt’s Great Pyramid of Giza, in what would be the first such discovery in the structure since the 19th century and one likely to spark a new surge of interest in the pharaohs.

In an article published in the journal Nature on Thursday, an international team said the 30-meter (yard) void deep within the pyramid is situated above the structure’s Grand Gallery, and has a similar cross-section.

The purpose of the space is unclear, and it’s not yet known whether it was built with a function in mind or if it’s merely a gap in the pyramid’s architecture. Some experts say such empty spaces have been known for years.

“This is a premier,” said Mehdi Tayoubi, a co-founder of the ScanPyramids project and president of the Heritage Innovation Preservation Institute. “It could be composed of one or several structures... maybe it could be another Grand Gallery. It could be a chamber, it could be a lot of things.”

The scientists made the discovery using cosmic-ray imaging, recording the behavior of subatomic particles called muons that penetrate the rock similar to X-rays, only much deeper. Their paper was peer-reviewed before appearing in Nature, an international, interdisciplinary journal of science, and its results confirmed by other teams of scientists.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,625 Posts
    This is old, but new to me

http://www.sciencemag.org/news/2017/...ts-predecessor
    A new antibiotic offers a potent weapon against antibiotic-resistant infections. Superantibiotic is 25,000 times more potent than its predecessor
    Vancomycin, long considered a “drug of last resort,” kills by preventing bacteria from building cell walls. It binds to wall-building protein fragments called peptides, in particular those that end with two copies of the amino acid D-alanine (D-ala). But bacteria have evolved. Many now replace one D-ala with D-lactic acid (D-lac), sharply reducing vancomycin’s ability to bind to its target. Today, that resistance has spread so that dangerous infections like vancomycin-resistant enterococci (VRE) and vancomycin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus (VRSA) are becoming more common. According to the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, about 23,000 Americans die from 17 antibiotic-resistant infections each year (although it’s difficult to parse out how much is due to vancomycin resistance).
    Now, Boger and his colleagues have assembled all three weapons into one single vancomycin analog. The new antibiotic is at least 25,000 times more potent against microbes such as VRE and VRSA, they report this week in the Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences. Moreover, when Boger’s team tested vancomycin-resistant bacteria against the new three-part analog, the microbes were unable to evolve resistance even after 50 rounds. Many antibiotics begin to fail after just a few rounds. This suggests the new compound may be far more durable than current antibiotics, Boger says.

"Organisms just can't simultaneously work to find a way around three independent mechanisms of action,” he says. “Even if they found a solution to one of those, the organisms would still be killed by the other two."
    Go get him!

Founding member of the Whiny Little Bitches and Pricks Club

Boras' Client
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    847 Posts
    http://nypost.com/2017/10/26/man-enj...ot-long-penis/

Man enjoys life after losing 3-foot-long penis

A Kenyan man with a 3-foot penis and 11 pound testicles is finally getting the chance to live a normal life — now that his massive package has been surgically reduced, reports said.

Horace Owiti Opiyo, known as Forence, first noticed a cyst on his genitals back in 2006 and had it removed — but it came back with a vengeance a year later, bringing the length of his penis to almost a meter, the Mirror reported.

“I told my grandmother that I have been infected by a disease, but I’m not sure what it is. It could be a curse. I knew this was not God’s work, but the devil’s,” Forence said.

The condition can actually be caused from a mosquito biting and injecting larvae into the bloodstream, which can develop into parasitic worms that block the body’s drainage system and cause swelling.

Forence’s neighbor put his story on social media and it quickly went viral, garnering the attention of a local governor’s wife, who ordered a doctor to inspect him.

He was given two operations to reduce the size of the scrotum and rebuild the penis so it can be used, and he couldn’t be more relieved.

“When I got up, I was surprised that my body was so light. All the heaviness had gone … I’m swimming now. I couldn’t go anywhere near the water because of the heaviness of that thing,” Forence said after the surgery.
    And in a related story, the US State Department has already received about a million requests by American men to travel to that part of Kenya. ;)

24. The Following User Says Thank You to Oklahomahawk For This Useful Post:

Jaw (10-11-2018)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,064 Posts

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,625 Posts
    https://www.cnbc.com/2017/11/13/bill...lzheimers.html

Bill Gates makes $100 million personal investment to fight Alzheimer's
    Billionaire Microsoft co-founder Bill Gates is to invest $50 million in the Dementia Discovery Fund, a venture capital fund that brings together industry and government to seek treatments for the brain-wasting disease.

The investment — a personal one and not part of Gates' philanthropic Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation — will be followed by another $50 million in start-up ventures working in Alzheimer's research, Gates said.
    Go get him!

Founding member of the Whiny Little Bitches and Pricks Club