Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Braves dismiss Clark and Bridges

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,150 Posts
    Moneyball is literally buying things of value cheaper than they are worth. It’s contingent to analytics not synonymous.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,108 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by VirginiaBrave View Post
    Yeah, who cares if a guy can actually play or not. As long as he grades out. Too smart for their own good eggheads are ruining the game. I absolutely love it when Moneyball theory fails.
    Is the trio about to add a 4th member??

10 yr, $185 million Extension
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,477 Posts
    Yeah, who cares if a guy can actually play or not. As long as he grades out. Too smart for their own good eggheads are ruining the game. I absolutely love it when Moneyball theory fails.
    Come on, Joe. Just because you’ll be on TV less doesn’t mean you have to show off about finally learning how to turn on your computer.

Arbitration Eligible
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    314 Posts
    You all just can't stand it that not everybody drinks the kool-aid. Stop ragging on Joe. 10 years ago before the nerds took over and he was with Boog everybody in this crowd for the most part had nothing but good to say for Joe.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,108 Posts
    LOL

Too bad AA can’t clear the dinosaurs out of the fan base too.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,360 Posts
    You all just can't stand it that not everybody drinks the kool-aid. Stop ragging on Joe. 10 years ago before the nerds took over and he was with Boog everybody in this crowd for the most part had nothing but good to say for Joe.
    i think you can't stand that the game is moving towards something you don't fully understand
    "Well, you’ll learn soon enough that this was a massive red wave landslide." - thethe on the 2020 election that trump lost bigly

“I can’t fix my life, but I can fix the world.” - sturg

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Super View Post
    i think you can't stand that the game is moving towards something you don't fully understand
    Most folks have absolutely no problem with the new approaches, information, and ways to look at the game - it's great to hear other takes when people are looking to be helpful and a contributory part of baseball discussion.

What they can't stand is being talked down to - which unfortunately is the tone several overly analytic-leaning posters take. It really is OK to wish for things that don't necessarily line up perfectly based on the numbers - other than the feelings of someone entirely too invested in those things, no one's going to get hurt because a fan wants Kimbrel to come home.
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,108 Posts
    Hey, fearless leader of the Twits....

If you can’t stand being talked down to by folks smarter than you, maybe you should call out the dinosaurs trying to talk down to the folks they disagree with too. The comment “You all just can't stand it that not everybody drinks the kool-aid” would be a good place to start.

Failure to do so makes you a hypocrite as well as a moron.

Arbitration Eligible
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    314 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Super View Post
    It's not about understanding or not understanding anything. I just refuse to try and put a number on everything.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,360 Posts
    It's not about understanding or not understanding anything. I just refuse to try and put a number on everything.
    it's just additional, highly-useful information that happens to be used by just about every FO in baseball. it tells someone a lot more than their eyes do.
    "Well, you’ll learn soon enough that this was a massive red wave landslide." - thethe on the 2020 election that trump lost bigly

Arbitration Eligible
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    773 Posts
    Even if something is obviously quantifiable?

Arbitration Eligible
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    314 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BeanieAntics View Post
    Even if something is obviously quantifiable?
    Definitely especially on the defensive side. Either the fielder gets to a ball or he doesn't no need put a number on it to explain the outcome.

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,837 Posts
    Definitely especially on the defensive side. Either the fielder gets to a ball or he doesn't no need put a number on it to explain the outcome.
    You must have voted Palmeiro for GG back in the day

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thewupk View Post
    You must have voted Palmeiro for GG back in the day
    Like all the analytically-driven voters that awarded one to Markakis last year??? And they had all those neat metrics too!!!
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

Arbitration Eligible
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    773 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by clvclv View Post
    Like all the analytically-driven voters that awarded one to Markakis last year??? And they had all those neat metrics too!!!
    You have to be pretty far down the anti-analytics rabbit hole if you think that the BBWAA is analytically driven.

I always see you saying how your not opposed to analytics and how they are useful. I've never seen you support an argument using analytics and if the BBWAA is more analytic-friendly than you, every time you say something like that its just one of those "I'm not saying, but I'm totally saying" arguments that you seem to be making recently. I think I'd take your arguments more seriously if you just pulled Virginia and denounced analytics completely. At least then your premise would jive with the conclusions that you always arrive at.

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BeanieAntics View Post
    You have to be pretty far down the anti-analytics rabbit hole if you think that the BBWAA is analytically driven.

I always see you saying how your not opposed to analytics and how they are useful. I've never seen you support an argument using analytics and if the BBWAA is more analytic-friendly than you, every time you say something like that its just one of those "I'm not saying, but I'm totally saying" arguments that you seem to be making recently. I think I'd take your arguments more seriously if you just pulled Virginia and denounced analytics completely. At least then your premise would jive with the conclusions that you always arrive at.
    I'm not and absolutely believe they are quite useful - the defensive metrics far less-so though.

Not sure why one has to be all-in one way or the other. I believe the offensive and pitching metrics are incredibly helpful at helping us to understand more than our eyes "tell us", but put very little weight in what the defensive numbers tell you other than using them to help with positioning.

The BBWAA is trending much more towards analytics when casting votes for The Hall, why shouldn't we expect they're also using those numbers to a larger extent than ever before when it comes to voting for the other awards? King Felix and Jacob deGrom won Cy Young Awards even though their Stone Age stats didn't look good to all the "idiots", right?

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,837 Posts
    I'm not and absolutely believe they are quite useful - the defensive metrics far less-so though.

Not sure why one has to be all-in one way or the other. I believe the offensive and pitching metrics are incredibly helpful at helping us to understand more than our eyes "tell us", but put very little weight in what the defensive numbers tell you other than using them to help with positioning.

The BBWAA is trending much more towards analytics when casting votes for The Hall, why shouldn't we expect they're also using those numbers to a larger extent than ever before when it comes to voting for the other awards? King Felix and Jacob deGrom won Cy Young Awards even though their Stone Age stats didn't look good to all the "idiots", right?
    It's safe to say there is a pretty long history of good offensive players getting a GG that they don't deserve. And Neck had a great 1st half that he carried to an all-star game that the voters kept in their minds and they gave him the GG because he usually plays mistake free out there despite not getting to many balls as other players at the position.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,108 Posts
    There is nothing magical about Statcast's Catch Probability Added.

The radar knows where the player was standing. The radar knows where the batted ball landed. The radar knows how long the ball was in the air.

Those 3 precisely measured values are the inputs to the algorithm...

The algorithms can very easily calculate the probability of any combination of those 3 values resulting in a catch for every single play that happens in MLB.

It is then trivial to add up how many times a player didn't catch a ball that most guys do, or how often they catch a ball that most guy don't.

Once you add all those things up, you have 90% of what makes a good OFer a good OFer...and you don't need an eye test to do it.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,360 Posts
    what

Mr. Free Trade
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    514 Posts
    So let me tell you a story,

This guy was at the Miss Universe pageant as a judge. He got to select a winner (there would be more than one). The catch was, once he selected her, he had to marry her and MUST consummate the marriage within 24 hours, or else he would lose his manly parts. There were 25 young ladies, all were attractive and most seemed to have a talent in one or more areas be it music, dance, voice, whatever.

This guy also had access to each contestants medical records, arrest record, family history, number and quality of past relationships, awards won in their area of speciality, comparative stats against other contestants and even those not in the pageant, etc. etc.

As they came out to cross the stage, one young lass caught his eye. It was hard for him to look away. His only hope was that the other judges there not select his love before he had the chance.

The young ladies went backstage and all their pertinent data was placed on the table in front of the judges. Our hero, our judge, knowing his heart's desire waved away with disdain the opportunity to look at even one data file. The other judges shrugged and moved on about their business.

The ladies were brought back on stage. Our hero held his breath as one of the two judges in front of him selected Miss Canada. Our hero was relieved. Miss Canada was nice enough, sturdy, good personality, could hit the hell out of a fastball and didn't K much at all. But not his love.

Our hero held his breath again as the second judge selected Miss Mexico. Again he was relieved. Miss Mexico was lithe, graceful, could steal a base and kept an excellent OBP. But not his love.

Finally, our hero steps up and proudly calls out the name of......................Miss Cuba! That's right Hectorina Oliverio! She was the most beautiful creature ever featured in such a pageant. Our hero smiled as he walked quickly away with his new love while whispering love stanzas about the palace he would build, and nipping, nipping ever so lightly on Hectorina's ear.

The first judge looked at the second judge and said what the hell was that all about? The second judge said, don't know, I guess beauty is in the eye of the beholder. The first judge said, yeah, but the data says Miss Cuba has VD, has been doing steroids for years to sculpt her body, has an arrest record a mile long, is neck deep in with the Cuban mafia, was really a man until 6 months ago and has a hole in her swing the size of...well, you know!

The second judge says, I guess he'll find out.

Moral of the story: Get all the information you can before you make a decision.
    Last edited by Horsehide Harry; 01-16-2019 at 09:59 AM.