Results 2,441 to 2,460 of 7279

Thread: 2020 Field

Connoisseur of Minors zitothebrave's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,469 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Carp View Post
    Well Bloomberg was pulling more votes than Warren in 9 of the 14 states on Super Tuesday. And it's likely all his votes start going to Biden. So any net gain Bernie might get from Warren dropping out will be offset by voters switching from Bloomberg to Biden.
    Bloomberg spent the most money on Super Tuesday IIRC. THough Biden may have spent more money.

If you look at my breakdown, only states that the dems have a shot at winning where BLoomberg and Biden beat Warrena dn Sanders were Virginia and North Carolina, though the latter still is likely an L for the dems. And honestly I don't think Virginia goes back red if Bernie is the nominee, I think they prefer Biden, but I don't think they'll go Trump.
    Stockholm, more densely populated than NYC - sturg

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,990 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by zitothebrave View Post
    The only viable young candidate was Buttigieg and the DNC elected to rally around Biden. It's fine, when Trump wins in 4 years AOC Will be old enough to be president and we can really watch people freak out. It will be amusing.
    AOC doesn't have the money to be Prez, so that won't happen. Also, I kind of doubt she makes another term as a US Rep. Approval ratings for US Reps aren't super reliable, but they haven't been kind to her.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,469 Posts
    AOC doesn't have the money to be Prez, so that won't happen. Also, I kind of doubt she makes another term as a US Rep. Approval ratings for US Reps aren't super reliable, but they haven't been kind to her.
    She won't need money. Bernie didn't have the money to make a run in 2016. If she gets a grass roots campaign started early she will get a fantastic head start. Combination of her age and charisma will set her up well for the national stage. She coudl easily take the liberal mantle from Bernie adn be more successful because she's attractive and charismatic.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,539 Posts
    She won't need money. Bernie didn't have the money to make a run in 2016. If she gets a grass roots campaign started early she will get a fantastic head start. Combination of her age and charisma will set her up well for the national stage. She coudl easily take the liberal mantle from Bernie adn be more successful because she's attractive and charismatic.
    Maybe the yut will come out for her the way they haven't for Bernie.
    "I am a victim, I will tell you. I am a victim."

"I am your retribution."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,539 Posts
    There is also redistricting. NY will be losing a district after 2020.

"I am your retribution."

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to nsacpi For This Useful Post:

BedellBrave (03-05-2020), Carp (03-05-2020)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,990 Posts
    Bloomberg spent the most money on Super Tuesday IIRC. THough Biden may have spent more money.

If you look at my breakdown, only states that the dems have a shot at winning where BLoomberg and Biden beat Warrena dn Sanders were Virginia and North Carolina, though the latter still is likely an L for the dems. And honestly I don't think Virginia goes back red if Bernie is the nominee, I think they prefer Biden, but I don't think they'll go Trump.
    Biden has a very good shot at any swing state with a high African American population. I think this the key to him getting the Dem nomination. AA's simply didn't like HRC as evidenced by a 11 percent drop in AA turn out from 2012. Polling so far shows they like Biden substantially better than HRC.

This a big deal because Michigan and Pennsylvania have relatively high AA populations and Trump barely won both of those states in 2016. The Michigan primary should be a good barometer of how well Biden might do in the election. If the black community turnout and the overall Dem turnout is higher in the Michigan primary, the Dems will have an edge against Trump in 2 of the biggest swing states (VA and PA).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,539 Posts
    Biden has a very good shot at any swing state with a high African American population. I think this the key to him getting the Dem nomination. AA's simply didn't like HRC as evidenced by a 11 percent drop in AA turn out from 2012. Polling so far shows they like Biden substantially better than HRC.
    The African American vote is important, but I think the biggest swing since 2016 will come from college-educated white women. They have had an enormous effect in shifting politics in Virginia. The 2019 off-year mid-terms also showed some massive swings among those kinds of voters in suburban areas. Some of the suburbs of Philadelphia for example saw Democrats winning local office in areas they have never won.

It is kind of interesting, but Bernie is strong with less well educated white men. It is kind of a left-wing version of the much larger right-wing group that is chosen one's base. The two groups have a few things in common, including bad manners. Maybe they get together someday. Pitchforks to the Bastille! I can teach them a few French songs that were popular in 1789.
    Last edited by nsacpi; 03-05-2020 at 09:38 AM.

"I am your retribution."

9. The Following User Says Thank You to nsacpi For This Useful Post:

Carp (03-05-2020)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,990 Posts
    Again, AOC isn't even really liked in her own district. Bernie definitely didn't have have deep pockets, but he was worth a cool 1.5 million or more in 2016. It's fair to say AOC likely has a net worth less than 100k currently. You have to be rich to have a realistic chance of running for Prez.

Waiting for Free Agency acesfull86's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    910 Posts
    Warren out

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,469 Posts
    Again, AOC isn't even really liked in her own district. Bernie definitely didn't have have deep pockets, but he was worth a cool 1.5 million or more in 2016. It's fair to say AOC likely has a net worth less than 100k currently. You have to be rich to have a realistic chance of running for Prez.
    She is'nt liked in her own district if you listen to what Fox News and other big media says. She has in incredibly strong national following already, if she takes a little bit of time to cultivate it she will do just fine nationally. 1.5M is nothing when it comes to politics. Bloomberg spend 600M in a few months, but above that lets look at 2016 where Bernie was "worth" 1.5M his campaign spent 220M. Don't be obtuse about how much money he had in 2016 and the effect on the campaign.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,469 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nsacpi View Post
    It is kind of interesting, but Bernie is strong with less well educated white men. It is kind of a left-wing version of the much larger right-wing group that is chosen one's base. The two groups have a few things in common, including bad manners. Maybe they get together someday. Pitchforks to the Bastille! I can teach them a few French songs that were popular in 1789.
    Funny that you point that out and you ignore something bigger.

Bernie has huge support with Hispanic supporters.

Biden's entire campaign is run on his "electibility" but that whole thing is based on what, the fact that he was a long term Senator in Delaware? That he got his ass drummed in2008 with his electability? That he didn't even dare to enter the race against Hillary in 2016 because of his electability?

Most poeple who voted for Biden according to exit polls were Black or never Trumpers. Someone couldn't be a never Trumper and not vote for Bernie so that segment of the base is gone.

I'd like to see your numbers on Bernie being strong with "less well educated" white men.

"At the same time, Sanders was formidable in his core groups. He won voters younger than 30 by a smashing 58-13% over Biden and those age 30 to 44 by 44-20%. “Very” liberal voters backed him by 47-18%, independents by 38-24%. On one of his signature issues, he won voters who support a government-run, single-payer health care system – 56% of all those who voted – by 43-22% over Biden."

https://abcnews.go.com/Politics/late...ry?id=69381829

Bernie wins youth, independents, people who want a single payer health care (which is polling over 50%) BIden is doing well with Republicans who don't like Trump and conservative Democrats. Which personally I'd rather them **** or get off the pot.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,990 Posts
    She is'nt liked in her own district if you listen to what Fox News and other big media says. She has in incredibly strong national following already, if she takes a little bit of time to cultivate it she will do just fine nationally. 1.5M is nothing when it comes to politics. Bloomberg spend 600M in a few months, but above that lets look at 2016 where Bernie was "worth" 1.5M his campaign spent 220M. Don't be obtuse about how much money he had in 2016 and the effect on the campaign.
    This is a poll from last March. I can't imagine much has changed.

https://poll.qu.edu/national/release...ReleaseID=2611

From the article:

U.S. Rep. Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez of New York gets a negative 23 - 36 percent favorability rating, with 38 percent who haven't heard enough about her to form an opinion. Rep. Ocasio-Cortez has been good for the Democratic Party, 33 percent of voters say, as 36 percent say she's been bad for the party.

"All is definitely not A-OK for AOC. Most voters either don't like the firebrand freshman Congresswoman or don't know who she is," Malloy said.
    Last edited by Carp; 03-05-2020 at 12:39 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,539 Posts

Biden's entire campaign is run on his "electibility" but that whole thing is based on what, the fact that he was a long term Senator in Delaware? That he got his ass drummed in2008 with his electability? That he didn't even dare to enter the race against Hillary in 2016 because of his electability?

Most poeple who voted for Biden according to exit polls were Black or never Trumpers. Someone couldn't be a never Trumper and not vote for Bernie so that segment of the base is gone.

I'd like to see your numbers on Bernie being strong with "less well educated" white men.

"At the same time, Sanders was formidable in his core groups. He won voters younger than 30 by a smashing 58-13% over Biden and those age 30 to 44 by 44-20%. “Very” liberal voters backed him by 47-18%, independents by 38-24%. On one of his signature issues, he won voters who support a government-run, single-payer health care system – 56% of all those who voted – by 43-22% over Biden."

Bernie wins youth, independents, people who want a single payer health care (which is polling over 50%) BIden is doing well with Republicans who don't like Trump and conservative Democrats. Which personally I'd rather them **** or get off the pot.
    Ok...Bernie wins Michigan then...Warren dropped out...no more excuses

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,990 Posts

Data actually suggests that independents were among Bloomberg's strongest followings, particularly independents over the age of 35 (you know, ones that are actually likely to vote, unlike young independents). With Bloomberg backing Biden now, those will likely flow Biden's way and not Sanders.
    Last edited by Carp; 03-05-2020 at 12:35 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,469 Posts
    Data actually suggests that independents were among Bloomberg's strongest followings, particularly independents over the age of 35 (you know, ones that are actually likely to vote, unlike young independents). With Bloomberg backing Biden now, those will likely flow Biden's way and not Sanders.
    Nice speculation. So yhou see a stat that says independents favor Bernie, then go on and say you assume independents who favored Bloomberg will favor Biden. That's not how statistics work.

Edit To clarify

38% for Bernie and 24% for Biden equals 62% Which leaves 38% left which how does that indicate that independents were that strong for BLoomberg? Sure he took part of that but we don't have that number right now.
    Last edited by zitothebrave; 03-05-2020 at 01:20 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,469 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nsacpi View Post
    Ok...Bernie wins Michigan then...Warren dropped out...no more excuses
    Bernie shoudl win. He may fail because Biden carrying the black vote. We'll have to see. Also Warren didn't endorse anyone.

It's a one on one and we'll see how things shake out. Bernie will hopefully now dominate the liberal, young and independent vote to shut up people about his inability to win independents while Biden runs on being Barack Obama's VP.

There's one way Biden's campaign coudl be crushed, that's if Obama came out and endorsed Bernie. If that happened it's over. Bernie wins. There's no one similar thing that could end Bernie's campaign short of him dying or going to jail

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,539 Posts
    Bernie shoudl win. He may fail because Biden carrying the black vote.
    sounds like an excuse to me

either he has the appeal to win or he doesn't...same thing for any other candidate

#blackvotesmatter

"I am your retribution."

20. The Following User Says Thank You to nsacpi For This Useful Post:

Carp (03-05-2020)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,066 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Runnin View Post
    Bernie comes across as obstinate and bull-headed. Do his supporters really think he can be a good manager and make the kinds of connections and compromises that are necessary to get anything of substance accomplished?

Ideologues don't put much stock in actual governance. They also don't tend to get the notion of "likability."

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,066 Posts

This a big deal because Michigan and Pennsylvania have relatively high AA populations and Trump barely won both of those states in 2016. The Michigan primary should be a good barometer of how well Biden might do in the election. If the black community turnout and the overall Dem turnout is higher in the Michigan primary, the Dems will have an edge against Trump in 2 of the biggest swing states (VA and PA).
    ^^This.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,066 Posts
    Serious question, why would any Democrat former candidate endorse the guy who is not a Democrat over Biden? Maybe Warren, but she's actually smart, so I doubt it.

24. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BedellBrave For This Useful Post:

acesfull86 (03-05-2020), Carp (03-05-2020)