User Tag List

Page 49 of 52 FirstFirst ... 394748495051 ... LastLast
Results 961 to 980 of 1029

Thread: 2020 Field

  1. #961
    A Chip Off the Old Rock Julio3000's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    14,400
    Thanks
    6,273
    Thanked 9,503 Times in 4,985 Posts
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Krgrecw View Post
    Zito only sees Color. You’ll have to forgive him.
    Let’s say you have two daughters close in age. They go to the same schools, have the same teachers, do the same extracurricular activities. One has brown skin and kinky hair, the other is blonde and blue-eyed. Do you think they are going to have exactly the same experiences? I mean, one of them might get discounted tickets to a music festival—so I’ve heard—but she’s also going to experience overt and subtle prejudice and occasionally just ugly outright racism. Do you think that the people who are the authors of the racism are going to investigate their family situation, privilege, and cultural position before just, you know, doing the racism?

    FWIW, this is not a hypothetical situation for me, so I know the answer. Yeah, some people just see “color,” but not in the way you’re suggesting.

  2. #962
    Shift Leader thethe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    34,164
    Thanks
    3,761
    Thanked 3,833 Times in 2,791 Posts
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Julio3000 View Post
    Yeah, this is kind of a horse**** take.
    BS - Privilege is mostly about economic status. It just so happens that a majority of African Americans fall under a poor economic status. But people like Harris and Booker have enjoyed more privilege in their life than most white people in this country.

    But man - Our country is so awful clearly that these two could not succeed because of their 'color'.
    Warm feelings guy!

  3. #963
    Shift Leader thethe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    34,164
    Thanks
    3,761
    Thanked 3,833 Times in 2,791 Posts
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Julio3000 View Post
    Let’s say you have two daughters close in age. They go to the same schools, have the same teachers, do the same extracurricular activities. One has brown skin and kinky hair, the other is blonde and blue-eyed. Do you think they are going to have exactly the same experiences? I mean, one of them might get discounted tickets to a music festival—so I’ve heard—but she’s also going to experience overt and subtle prejudice and occasionally just ugly outright racism. Do you think that the people who are the authors of the racism are going to investigate their family situation, privilege, and cultural position before just, you know, doing the racism?

    FWIW, this is not a hypothetical situation for me, so I know the answer. Yeah, some people just see “color,” but not in the way you’re suggesting.
    NOBODY HAS THE SAME EXPERIENCES!!
    Warm feelings guy!

  4. #964
    Secretary of Statistics AerchAngel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Eau Claire, WI
    Posts
    7,395
    Thanks
    3,025
    Thanked 1,250 Times in 867 Posts
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by nsacpi View Post
    Don't sleep on Nigerian Americans.

    https://www.ozy.com/fast-forward/the...rise-you/86885

    Poverty is a problem worthy of serious debate. And some of it is concentrated in identifiable racial or ethnic groups (whites in Appalachia, the Hmong, African Americans in many places). Policy probably should be tailored to particular groups that need help. But it is a mistake to paint in overly broad strokes. There are disadvantaged Asians (the Hmong), disadvantaged Jews (some Hasidim). They need help. There are advantaged African Americans. They don't need help. It isn't that difficult to craft policy so that it reaches those who actually need help. But the politics often gets in the way.
    I would be careful with that. You think they should be allowed their own culture, basically building sanctuary cities on their end?

  5. #965
    Secretary of Statistics AerchAngel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Eau Claire, WI
    Posts
    7,395
    Thanks
    3,025
    Thanked 1,250 Times in 867 Posts
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by thethe View Post
    She is trying to appropriate the struggle of the African American as part of her appeal to be president. She is nothing but a fraud and should be called out every step of the way.

    That is why this matters.
    Every politician is either a fraud or a loud mouth jerk like Pres. Chump. Who has no decorum whatsoever as a president. HE does act like a he is in his undies and screaming at he top of his mouth "Where is my milk" while holding a bottle out.

  6. #966
    Expects Yuge Games nsacpi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    23,913
    Thanks
    1,801
    Thanked 8,487 Times in 5,343 Posts
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by AerchAngel View Post
    I would be careful with that. You think they should be allowed their own culture, basically building sanctuary cities on their end?
    who is this "they" you are referring to
    “It's a shame the White House has become an adult day care center. Someone obviously missed their shift this morning.” Senator Bob Corker

  7. #967
    Connoisseur of Minors zitothebrave's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    DANGERZONE
    Posts
    17,350
    Thanks
    1,059
    Thanked 2,836 Times in 1,993 Posts
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by thethe View Post
    She knows little of the struggle most african americans faced and currently face. She is privilidged more than most white peoplr in this country.
    She is the child of immigrants, born in Oakland, so yeah she doesn't share the same experience as all African Americans. But she's African-American and grew up ina city that's very African American. She went to Howard University, a historically black university.
    AJ does all the other things just as well if not better than Mac - zbhargrove

    I don't think Nolan Ryan should be a poster child for mechanics - SAV

  8. #968
    Connoisseur of Minors zitothebrave's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    DANGERZONE
    Posts
    17,350
    Thanks
    1,059
    Thanked 2,836 Times in 1,993 Posts
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Krgrecw View Post
    Zito only sees Color. You’ll have to forgive him.
    Color is incredibly important. I don't need yours or thethe's forgiveness.
    AJ does all the other things just as well if not better than Mac - zbhargrove

    I don't think Nolan Ryan should be a poster child for mechanics - SAV

  9. #969
    Shift Leader thethe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    34,164
    Thanks
    3,761
    Thanked 3,833 Times in 2,791 Posts
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Warm feelings guy!

  10. #970
    I <3 Ron Paul + gilesfan sturg33's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    17,858
    Thanks
    991
    Thanked 4,670 Times in 3,021 Posts
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Klobachar doesn't know thinks WNBA players should make as much as NBA players

    Shes running for President, yall

  11. #971
    It's OVER 5,000! 57Brave's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    13,717
    Thanks
    1,322
    Thanked 1,428 Times in 1,043 Posts
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Disappointing to me and certain her that she doesn't have your vote.

    sheeesh


    and your candidate, what is he or she advocating ?
    are you ever for anything ---- besides lower taxes ?
    “You still don’t get it. It ain’t about your money, bro.” - Omar

  12. #972
    Hessmania Forever
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    10,413
    Thanks
    3,353
    Thanked 5,309 Times in 3,277 Posts
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sturg33 View Post
    Klobachar doesn't know thinks WNBA players should make as much as NBA players

    Shes running for President, yall
    You'll have to excuse her. She's from Minnesota where the women's team--the Lynx--could give the Timberwolves a game.

  13. #973
    I <3 Ron Paul + gilesfan sturg33's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    17,858
    Thanks
    991
    Thanked 4,670 Times in 3,021 Posts
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 57Brave View Post
    Disappointing to me and certain her that she doesn't have your vote.

    sheeesh


    and your candidate, what is he or she advocating ?
    are you ever for anything ---- besides lower taxes ?
    I am curious if you are also unsure why WNBA players make less than NBA

  14. #974
    I <3 Ron Paul + gilesfan sturg33's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    17,858
    Thanks
    991
    Thanked 4,670 Times in 3,021 Posts
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 50PoundHead View Post
    You'll have to excuse her. She's from Minnesota where the women's team--the Lynx--could give the Timberwolves a game.
    Ha! Fair enough

  15. #975
    It's OVER 5,000! 57Brave's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    13,717
    Thanks
    1,322
    Thanked 1,428 Times in 1,043 Posts
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sturg33 View Post
    I am curious if you are also unsure why WNBA players make less than NBA
    My guess is this has more to do with public funding of arenas then the surface critique you offer.
    Will have to see

    Last week it was a t shirt this week something equally --- besides the point
    “You still don’t get it. It ain’t about your money, bro.” - Omar

  16. #976
    It's OVER 5,000! 57Brave's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    13,717
    Thanks
    1,322
    Thanked 1,428 Times in 1,043 Posts
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sturg33 View Post
    I am curious if you are also unsure why WNBA players make less than NBA
    while you snicker at a US Senators doing their job ---
    or the clothing of a Freshman Congresspersons office staff

    this is happening.
    Never thought you were such a shiny thing guy.


    StanceGrounded
    ‏ @_SJPeace_
    9h9 hours ago

    ICE officers showing up in plain clothes, not identifying themselves or displaying badges, entering warrantless and get aggressive with those they target

    This is what authoritarianism looks like

    ICE CANNOT COME IN WITHOUT A WARRANT! KNOW YOUR RIGHTS! RECORD EVERYTHING!
    “You still don’t get it. It ain’t about your money, bro.” - Omar

  17. #977
    **NOT ACTUALLY RACIST
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    3,704
    Thanks
    33
    Thanked 409 Times in 329 Posts
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    An anonymous Democratic group leaked an internal poll to Axios on Sunday that shows "swing voters" deeply dislike prominent progressive lawmakers, deepening a public rift within the party.

    The poll found that Rep. Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez had a 22% approval rating and Rep. Ilhan Omar of Minnesota had a 9% approval rating among 1,003 "likely general-election voters who are white and have two years or less of college education" and knew of the two outspoken lawmakers.

    "If all voters hear about is AOC, it could put the [House] majority at risk," a Democrat involved in the 2020 congressional races told Axios. "She's getting all the news and defining everyone else's races."

  18. #978
    Shift Leader thethe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    34,164
    Thanks
    3,761
    Thanked 3,833 Times in 2,791 Posts
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Krgrecw View Post
    An anonymous Democratic group leaked an internal poll to Axios on Sunday that shows "swing voters" deeply dislike prominent progressive lawmakers, deepening a public rift within the party.

    The poll found that Rep. Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez had a 22% approval rating and Rep. Ilhan Omar of Minnesota had a 9% approval rating among 1,003 "likely general-election voters who are white and have two years or less of college education" and knew of the two outspoken lawmakers.

    "If all voters hear about is AOC, it could put the [House] majority at risk," a Democrat involved in the 2020 congressional races told Axios. "She's getting all the news and defining everyone else's races."
    This is why Trumpa statement was brilliant. It was purposeful and intentional.
    Warm feelings guy!

  19. #979
    **NOT ACTUALLY RACIST
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    3,704
    Thanks
    33
    Thanked 409 Times in 329 Posts
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by thethe View Post
    This is why Trumpa statement was brilliant. It was purposeful and intentional.
    A 70 year old man works twitter better than any politician in The US. That’s sad.

  20. #980
    A Chip Off the Old Rock Julio3000's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    14,400
    Thanks
    6,273
    Thanked 9,503 Times in 4,985 Posts
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by thethe View Post
    NOBODY HAS THE SAME EXPERIENCES!!
    That’s what you get from this hypothetical, really? I mean, what you say is technically true...and irrelevant.

    The point is that a certain kind of reflexive racism or prejudice doesn’t stop to ask exactly what your family or socioeconomic background is. See the old Dick Gregory joke about a black man with a PhD. Your background or socioeconomic status may insulate you from some of the consequences, but it’s not a magic barrier.

    Frankly, your opinion about who’s authentically black and who isn’t is less than worthless.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •