Thread: 2020 Field

**NOT ACTUALLY RACIST
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    440 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nsacpi View Post
    good luck finding impartial observers
    It’ll be easy for him. He’s there most open minded and impartial person on this forum.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,710 Posts
    The "electable" Joe Bidens second place finish was his best ever in the nomination process. In 3 runs he has 0 wins. Bernie has 3 wins in 3 chances just this time around. Unless Deleware is 100% of the vote Biden has no chance in any race.
    "Donald Trump will serve a second term as president of the United States.

It’s over."

Little Thethe Nov 19, 2020.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,710 Posts

This is why Bernie can win.

"Unlike Donald Trump I dont exchange love letters with dictators"

It’s over."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,420 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cajunrevenge View Post

This is why Bernie can win.

"
    Rev. Dr. William J. Barber II
    @RevDrBarber
    ·
    18h
    One definition of moderate is “middle ground.”

The other is “reasonable.” So I ask, what is the middle

ground we should look for when 30 mil ppl are w/out

health insurance, 250,000 die from poverty each year

& 62 mil work every day w/out living wages?
    The best way to stop a bad guy with a gun is to make sure he doesn’t get a gun.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,533 Posts
    The "electable" Joe Bidens second place finish was his best ever in the nomination process. In 3 runs he has 0 wins. Bernie has 3 wins in 3 chances just this time around. Unless Deleware is 100% of the vote Biden has no chance in any race.
    looks like he is going to win SC....make sure to update your post when it happens

Waiting for Free Agency acesfull86's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    908 Posts
    looks like he is going to win SC....make sure to update your post when it happens
    I’d rather he start a “President Bernie Sanders” thread, which will hopefully age as well as that “President Elizabeth Warren” thread

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,710 Posts
    My prediction about Warren was based on her being Lisa Simpson and The Simpsons predicts just about everything. Bernie was always my pick this time around based on his pledge to legalize marijuana day one via executive order. And Prohibition Joe finds a way to bungle everything. A lot of Biden supporters second choice is Bernie. I think people want to vote for a winner.
    Last edited by cajunrevenge; 02-25-2020 at 10:07 AM.

It’s over."

**NOT ACTUALLY RACIST
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    440 Posts
    My prediction about Warren was based on her being Lisa Simpson and The Simpsons predicts just about everything. Bernie was always my pick this time around based on his pledge to legalize marijuana day one via executive order. And Prohibition Joe finds a way to bungle everything. A lot of Biden supporters second choice is Bernie. I think people want to vote for a winner.

I disagree with your second to last sentence. Biden supporters and Bernie supporters are total opposites. Bernie and Warren are on one side of the party while the others are more or less on the other side

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,041 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 57Brave View Post
    Collecting revenue is something Congress has not been good at since the 1980's.

I am encouraged that you see a single payer system as something that is do able.
    It could be done in a fiscally responsible way, the question is whether there's the stomach for it. The idea that a single payer system will be instituted that wont require a massive tax increase on virtually every American is a fantasy. There will have to be a massive tax increase with payroll taxes being the easiest thing to target. However, that massive tax increase will be largely offset by not paying insurance premiums. There's no way to set up a system that doesn't convert current premiums into taxes. So if people think they'll start being able to keep the money they pay in premiums, they're just wrong.

Converting health insurance to a single payer system would save some money. Administrative costs could be cut and the bargaining power of a monopoly would reduce the costs of healthcare. This is actually why a lot of healthcare organizations oppose a single payer system. There will be less money flowing to providers.

However, the savings would be offset by the not insignificant number of people who don't have any insurance now but who would have it under a single payer system.

Where it gets difficult is when you start talking about deductibles, copays, and coinsurance. If the goal is people can go get healthcare and never have to pay for it (like happens in Europe), then you're going to have to come up with a lot of money. Right now, even those with health insurance shoulder a fair portion of their healthcare costs. Eliminating those would require a large appropriation. That money would need to come from somewhere. The question is whether Congress would have the stomach for tax increases to cover it.

So it something that could be done but it's something I will oppose strongly if it's not properly funded. Creating a massive entitlement and funding it with Leprechaun gold isn't tenable.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,533 Posts
    Interesting article about Bernie electability issues.

https://www.vox.com/policy-and-polit...moderates-data
    "I am a victim, I will tell you. I am a victim."

"I am your retribution."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,420 Posts
    Brian Schatz

@brianschatz
    ·
    44m

The Coronavirus is not contained. It will not fade in the spring. Trump cut CDC by 9 percent.

Trump eliminated the position at the global health security teams at NSC and DHS.

They don’t know what they are doing.

They are fixated on the politics and the stock market.

The question everyone must ask when there is a choice of this magnitude,
    what kind of world do you want to live in.

A Chip Off the Old Rock Julio3000's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,155 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by striker42 View Post
    It could be done in a fiscally responsible way, the question is whether there's the stomach for it. The idea that a single payer system will be instituted that wont require a massive tax increase on virtually every American is a fantasy. There will have to be a massive tax increase with payroll taxes being the easiest thing to target. However, that massive tax increase will be largely offset by not paying insurance premiums. There's no way to set up a system that doesn't convert current premiums into taxes. So if people think they'll start being able to keep the money they pay in premiums, they're just wrong.

Converting health insurance to a single payer system would save some money. Administrative costs could be cut and the bargaining power of a monopoly would reduce the costs of healthcare. This is actually why a lot of healthcare organizations oppose a single payer system. There will be less money flowing to providers.

However, the savings would be offset by the not insignificant number of people who don't have any insurance now but who would have it under a single payer system.

Where it gets difficult is when you start talking about deductibles, copays, and coinsurance. If the goal is people can go get healthcare and never have to pay for it (like happens in Europe), then you're going to have to come up with a lot of money. Right now, even those with health insurance shoulder a fair portion of their healthcare costs. Eliminating those would require a large appropriation. That money would need to come from somewhere. The question is whether Congress would have the stomach for tax increases to cover it.

So it something that could be done but it's something I will oppose strongly if it's not properly funded. Creating a massive entitlement and funding it with Leprechaun gold isn't tenable.
    Respectfully. man, this is just not the case. The author of the thread below is a eminent scholar on the subject.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,420 Posts
    Katrina vandenHeuvel Retweeted

TheSaltyProfessor

@SaltyProfessor
    ·

Why are Democratic candidates required to articulate—in painful detail

—how they will pay for their proposed policies, while Republicans NEVER

have to answer to trillions in deficits, war, or tax cuts for the rich?

14. The Following User Says Thank You to 57Brave For This Useful Post:

Super (02-26-2020)

Connoisseur of Minors zitothebrave's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,463 Posts
    He was a 20 point favorite not that long ago. Don't be surprised if Bernie makes it very close. Anything less than a decisive win for Biden is a blow to his electability claims as they're almost entire built around the Black vote claim and if he doesn't have that locked up, then he's not electable.

https://fivethirtyeight.com/features...lina-we-think/
    Stockholm, more densely populated than NYC - sturg

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,463 Posts
    I mean seriously, how can the Dems rally behind this man. He's a walking time bomb of a huge ****up that loses the election. He's going to eventually say or do something so repulsive that it will make Trump look good.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,533 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by zitothebrave View Post
    He was a 20 point favorite not that long ago. Don't be surprised if Bernie makes it very close. Anything less than a decisive win for Biden is a blow to his electability claims as they're almost entire built around the Black vote claim and if he doesn't have that locked up, then he's not electable.

https://fivethirtyeight.com/features...lina-we-think/
    Margin is something to keep an eye on in SC.

"I am your retribution."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,533 Posts
    Russia Today with a nice interview/scoop!

"I am your retribution."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,463 Posts
    Margin is something to keep an eye on in SC.
    Well the advantage Biden has in SC is that he was leading for so long that the Nevada wave of Sanders is less likely to wreck it. Polling in other states like Texas and North Carolina look bleak for Biden. He's well within Margin but if the south is supposed to be his strong hold on Bernie, that's not a great look to be hanging tight. Biden wants to win this he needs a decisive win in SC. Anything less than that and it's just a bump on the road to Sanders winning. If all Biden leaves is with 5 more delegates than Sanders (which is what 538 is projecting right now) that's a loss for him. All that really does is pass Buttigieg and open up a bigger gap between Bernie and second place. Biden still has a shot, as the field thins he has a better shot. But the reality is that if Bernie builds enough delegates the desire to vote for a winner will start taking over the concerns that he's not a moderate. When Super Tuesday is over, Bernie could have a number of more wins. As of right now he has a huge polling lead in California, he has an effective tie with Biden in Texas, North Carolina, he's second only to Klobachar in Minnesota (would make sense for her to win that, I'm assuming she's only being kept in the race by the funds of a PAC to keep Bernie from winning that State), he's not gonna win Oklahoma as Biden and Bloomburg have that one tied up seemingly, he's in an effective tie in Virginia, an effective tie in Massachusetts, comfy lead in Maine, no one will sniff him in Vermont, He's withing Margin of error in Arkansas, and he's clearing the field in Utah. These are all early and I think we'll see some more accurate polls next monday, but assuming most of this is true, Bernie is set to finish first or second in almost every Super Tuesday State. And is set to probably win the 2 biggest prizes that day, California, and keep delegates from Biden in Texas. Bloomberg is just an added spoiler to aid Bernie.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,360 Posts
    Russia Today with a nice interview/scoop!

wasn't this interview 4 years ago?
    "Well, you’ll learn soon enough that this was a massive red wave landslide." - thethe on the 2020 election that trump lost bigly

“I can’t fix my life, but I can fix the world.” - sturg

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,360 Posts
    "how are we going to pay for that?!?!" as billionaires taxes are cut again.
    as the military budget increases again.
    these things are obviously far more important than healthcare.
    "Well, you’ll learn soon enough that this was a massive red wave landslide." - thethe on the 2020 election that trump lost bigly

“I can’t fix my life, but I can fix the world.” - sturg