Page 26 of 364 FirstFirst ... 1624252627283676126 ... LastLast

Thread: 2020 Field

Waiting for Free Agency acesfull86's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    908 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nsacpi View Post
    there is a problem...but Warren inflates it...in general borrowing for college is a sound idea...but there are some abuses that need to be fixed
    Of course...because this plan is less about solving a problem and more about buying votes

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,533 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thethe View Post
    So your assumption is that the collection on this wealth tax will have a 100% realization?
    no...I added a bit to my post above on what I think is likely to happen or not happen
    "I am a victim, I will tell you. I am a victim."

"I am your retribution."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,533 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by acesfull86 View Post
    Of course...because this plan is less about solving a problem and more about buying votes
    sure...politicians do that...see building a wall and having mexico pay for it

"I am your retribution."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    908 Posts
    So your assumption is that the collection on this wealth tax will have a 100% realization?
    Even before that, one of Roberts, Alito, Thomas, Gorsuch, Kavanaugh has to rule the tax constitutional when it inevitably gets challenged in court.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,898 Posts
    again you are making assumptions and jumping to conclusions...my own take is that even if Warren or Sanders gets elected large scale student debt forgiveness ain't happening...that's me jumping to a conclusion

there are some parts of Warren's plan I like, such as subsidies to state university tuition that make them much less costly or even effectively free to the students...I think something like that has a better chance of passing...but even that is a long shot
    If you put a cap on max lending amounts the cost of tuition would plummet. Its as simple as that.

Help bridge some of the financial burden through financing as all businesses do for capital improvements. If the students still can't afford it then they have to make the decision to go to a more cost effective school or work while attending but not committing full time.

When the money supply is unlimited its a no-brainer for colleges to charge more.
    Natural Immunity Croc

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,898 Posts
    sure...politicians do that...see building a wall and having mexico pay for it
    Only the wall has proven to actually be integral and will save the country money in the long term based on security and drugs (but would be happy to discuss this further in the 'Wall' thread considering all current evidence proves that Trump was right).
    Natural Immunity Croc

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    908 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 57Brave View Post
    [IMG]
    Jodi Sperber, PhD
    ‏ @jsperber
    13h13 hours ago
    Replying to @annehelen

Seriously. My plan is to have it paid off by the time I am 55.

That is 9 years from now. For loans I took out in 1998-1999.
    I went to the website on her twitter...in 1999 she graduated from private, expensive, Boston University with a degree in social work. Was she misled on what it would cost to go to BU and what the financing terms of her loans were? Was she misled on what the earnings potential of a degree in social work were?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,533 Posts
    If you put a cap on max lending amounts the cost of tuition would plummet. Its as simple as that.

Help bridge some of the financial burden through financing as all businesses do for capital improvements. If the students still can't afford it then they have to make the decision to go to a more cost effective school or work while attending but not committing full time.

When the money supply is unlimited its a no-brainer for colleges to charge more.
    arent there caps on the various student loan programs...I believe so...but there also seem to be more predatory loan programs that have caused problems for a narrow subset of borrowers

"I am your retribution."

I <3 Ron Paul + gilesfan sturg33's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,756 Posts
    I went to the website on her twitter...in 1999 she graduated from private, expensive, Boston University with a degree in social work. Was she misled on what it would cost to go to BU and what the financing terms of her loans were? Was she misled on what the earnings potential of a degree in social work were?
    Shifting the burden from the irresponsible to the responsible. Like all taxes.

Meanwhile, we definitely should lower the voting age to 16 since these kids have such a great grasp on their financial decisions

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,533 Posts
    Only the wall has proven to actually be integral and will save the country money in the long term based on security and drugs (but would be happy to discuss this further in the 'Wall' thread considering all current evidence proves that Trump was right).
    no I would say on immigration and border security there are real problems that can be addressed in an adult way so that solutions can be found...Trump's approach is a classic example of a politician inflating and inflaming an issue for political purposes

"I am your retribution."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,898 Posts
    arent there caps on the various student loan programs...I believe so...but there also seem to be more predatory loan programs that have caused problems for a narrow subset of borrowers
    When you have stories of 20 year olds that have over 15-20k in debt that's an issue and its because they were granted too much to start with. The cap should be lowered as the program should help BRIDGE any shortfalls in personal financing. It still incentivizes going to college but will reduce the money supply in the 'higher institution' economy which will create negative inflation.

Outside of the student loan market there are still ways to finance your education. Go work at a bank - McDonalds - Home Depot - ANYWHERE. There are so many for-profit businesses that offer tuition reimbursement FOR FREE.

Its so lazy to say that student loans are the only way to get lower income /middle income families to engage in upward social mobility.
    Natural Immunity Croc

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    908 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sturg33 View Post
    Shifting the burden from the irresponsible to the responsible. Like all taxes.

Meanwhile, we definitely should lower the voting age to 16 since these kids have such a great grasp on their financial decisions
    She stuck around to get another degree from BU, then years later decided to go to another private school (Brandeis) for a third degree. I dunno. I think someone smart enough to get into these schools/programs and finish them probably knew exactly what she was getting into.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,898 Posts
    Wow - Another example of a low ROI degree that people feel entitled to more value for their services.
    Natural Immunity Croc

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,898 Posts
    She stuck around to get another degree from BU, then years later decided to go to another private school (Brandeis) for a third degree. I dunno. I think someone smart enough to get into these schools/programs and finish them probably knew exactly what she was getting into.
    This is all part of the lie that has been pushed by higher institutions that post secondary education is the only option. Fitting that professor and university administrative salaries have skyrocketed the last 20 years.
    Natural Immunity Croc

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,533 Posts
    When you have stories of 20 year olds that have over 15-20k in debt that's an issue and its because they were granted too much to start with. The cap should be lowered as the program should help BRIDGE any shortfalls in personal financing. It still incentivizes going to college but will reduce the money supply in the 'higher institution' economy which will create negative inflation.

Outside of the student loan market there are still ways to finance your education. Go work at a bank - McDonalds - Home Depot - ANYWHERE. There are so many for-profit businesses that offer tuition reimbursement FOR FREE.

Its so lazy to say that student loans are the only way to get lower income /middle income families to engage in upward social mobility.
    do a little research...there is information out there on the caps and limits of the main student loan programs

"I am your retribution."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,898 Posts
    do a little research...there is information out there on the caps and limits of the main student loan programs
    Of course there are caps as there would be with any risk based lending market. My argument is that the caps should be lowered both in amounts per year and in the aggregate.

That is why I have said in numerous posts now that they need to be LOWERED.

Its simple economics. As the money supply increases inflation follows. Its the easiest way to address the cost issue of this dilemma.
    Natural Immunity Croc

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,533 Posts
    Of course there are caps as there would be with any risk based lending market. My argument is that the caps should be lowered both in amounts per year and in the aggregate.

That is why I have said in numerous posts now that they need to be LOWERED.

Its simple economics. As the money supply increases inflation follows. Its the easiest way to address the cost issue of this dilemma.
    the caps dont strike me as high

"I am your retribution."

I <3 Ron Paul + gilesfan sturg33's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,756 Posts
    Considering there is no collateral, the risk is all on the lender.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,533 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sturg33 View Post
    Considering there is no collateral, the risk is all on the lender.
    it's more difficult to walk away from student loans than other forms of debt

"I am your retribution."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,898 Posts
    The current levels are whats causing the inflation. There is no other factor that comes close to having this impact. This is THE issue that needs to be resolved.

I'm sorry - If you can't figure out a way to come up with 10-15k a year on your own (working - tuition reimbursement) then quite frankly you don't deserve to go to college. If its as important as everyone is making it out to be then prove it by making the necessary sacrifices.
    Natural Immunity Croc