Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: 2019 BA Top 100

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,108 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Tapate50 View Post
    That’s one of the more unimpressive sequences I’ve ever seen.

Not one of those off speeds was closer than two feet from the zone. He lived in the upper 93 range for the most part. I wouldn’t get tied up in what he hit once, but what he hits consistently
    I kinda thought the same thing. Looked like a guy overthrowing to light up the gun to me.

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Deester11 View Post
    Clv...who in the h3ll said Riley's defense hasn't improved or is legitimate? From Rome to Gwinnett he worked his azz off and is above average at minimum. I have concerns about his strikeouts...that's it.
    There are plenty of posters who've had doubts about whether his defense has improved as much as the reports say. I don't recall singling anyone out.

BA has him as a 60 defender. Pipeline has him as a 50 defender. There doesn't seem to be a consensus about any of Riley's tools other than his arm and his power. Pretty typical of most prospects - some scouts/reports see them one way, some see them differently. I completely buy those that have mentioned the improvement, but since I don't see him regularly I'm also not short-sighted enough to believe he's a slam-dunk to stay over there. If he was, I don't think AA would've spent $23 million on Donaldson rather than spending that money elsewhere to improve multiple areas when he could've bought a month at 3B with Camargo and Culberson to game Riley's clock.

Based on the limited number of times I've seen him, I think he'll be just fine over there - that said, if the organization felt there was no doubt he will, it wouldn't likely consider moving him to LF would it?
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

NL Rookie of the Year
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    512 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by clvclv View Post
    There are plenty of posters who've had doubts about whether his defense has improved as much as the reports say. I don't recall singling anyone out.

BA has him as a 60 defender. Pipeline has him as a 50 defender. There doesn't seem to be a consensus about any of Riley's tools other than his arm and his power. Pretty typical of most prospects - some scouts/reports see them one way, some see them differently. I completely buy those that have mentioned the improvement, but since I don't see him regularly I'm also not short-sighted enough to believe he's a slam-dunk to stay over there. If he was, I don't think AA would've spent $23 million on Donaldson rather than spending that money elsewhere to improve multiple areas when he could've bought a month at 3B with Camargo and Culberson to game Riley's clock.

Based on the limited number of times I've seen him, I think he'll be just fine over there - that said, if the organization felt there was no doubt he will, it wouldn't likely consider moving him to LF would it?
    Ok. I feel there is a lot wrong here but I’ll give you my take. The Braves spent money on Donaldson to get a proven bat. It wasn’t an indictment on Riley’s ability to stay at 3B. That’s absurd. Putting him in LF or trying him there doesn’t mean the Braves don’t think he will be there long term. If the Braves think that Donaldson has made Riley’s future as a 3B bleak I’d think they are dumber than this off-season thus far.

Voted Worst Poster
    '13, '14, '15 (Co-Winner)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,831 Posts
    MLB Pipeline's new top 100 comes out tonight, more rankings.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    696 Posts
    Regarding Riley's defense, I still have concerns based on the available info. As recently as 12-18 months ago, there were reports from multiple evaluators that questioned whether he could stick at 3B and adjusted their valuation on him accordingly as a possible corner outfielder. The publicly available takes on his defense from the 2018 season seem noticeably better, which is awesome news for him and the Braves. While I'm cautiously optimistic and happy to see the trend line pointing up, his ability to play 3b at an average MLB level (a high bar) is still a concern for me personally. That coupled with the strikeouts has led me to be at least a little surprised at how well he's showing on the top 100 lists.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to dak For This Useful Post:

clvclv (01-26-2019)

NL Rookie of the Year
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    512 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dak View Post
    Regarding Riley's defense, I still have concerns based on the available info. As recently as 12-18 months ago, there were reports from multiple evaluators that questioned whether he could stick at 3B and adjusted their valuation on him accordingly as a possible corner outfielder. The publicly available takes on his defense from the 2018 season seem noticeably better, which is awesome news for him and the Braves. While I'm cautiously optimistic and happy to see the trend line pointing up, his ability to play 3b at an average MLB level (a high bar) is still a concern for me personally. That coupled with the strikeouts has led me to be at least a little surprised at how well he's showing on the top 100 lists.
    I don't know if you've seen the games but I can tell you he can play 3b. I'm not sure what publications you're referring to, but from the 30 I've seen of him at least, he's much improved and CAN be a long time plug-in even with his warts for a long time.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Deester11 For This Useful Post:

buck75 (01-26-2019)

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Deester11 View Post
    Ok. I feel there is a lot wrong here but I’ll give you my take. The Braves spent money on Donaldson to get a proven bat. It wasn’t an indictment on Riley’s ability to stay at 3B. That’s absurd. Putting him in LF or trying him there doesn’t mean the Braves don’t think he will be there long term. If the Braves think that Donaldson has made Riley’s future as a 3B bleak I’d think they are dumber than this off-season thus far.
    The Braves could have spent significantly less to "get a proven bat" than the $23 million they spent on Donaldson and his injury concerns - they didn't have to spend it putting someone in Riley's way for the enitrety of 2019. No, that doesn't mean they plan on moving Riley, but they chose to make a "win now" move like bringing Josh in and have followed it up with absolutely nothing other than a downgrade behind the plate and re-signing Markakis - and both of those moves seem more than curious after a go for it signing of a guy like Donaldson.

None of us - myself at the top of that list - has any idea what the plan is, but blocking Riley at 3B for at least another year has to give one slight pause since they've had absolutely no problem with moving Acuna and Albies so fast. As a big Riley believer, I hope the Donaldson/Markakis moves signal nothing other than an opportunity to give Riley another full season to hone his defense and that he'll be the Opening Day 3B in 2020. Camargo and Duvall should get plenty of ABs spelling the two of them, so there should be no need to push Austin to the OF unless they're strictly trying to enhance his versatility OR they feel he may have to move off the position - not leaving the possibility that they're going to move him is just not being realistic about the situation.

Not questioning what you've seen - but I saw a lot of Albies before he was moved off of SS too, and saw little reason to move him until they brought in a better option.
    Last edited by clvclv; 01-26-2019 at 06:25 PM.
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

NL Rookie of the Year
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    512 Posts
    The Braves could have spent significantly less to "get a proven bat" than the $23 million they spent on Donaldson and his injury concerns - they didn't have to spend it putting someone in Riley's way for the enitrety of 2019. No, that doesn't mean they plan on moving Riley, but they chose to make a "win now" move like bringing Josh in and have followed it up with absolutely nothing other than a downgrade behind the plate and re-signing Markakis - and both of those moves seem more than curious after a go for it signing of a guy like Donaldson.

None of us - myself at the top of that list - has any idea what the plan is, but blocking Riley at 3B for at least another year has to give one slight pause since they've had absolutely no problem with moving Acuna and Albies so fast. As a big Riley believer, I hope the Donaldson/Markakis moves signal nothing other than an opportunity to give Riley another full season to hone his defense and that he'll be the Opening Day 3B in 2020. Camargo and Duvall should get plenty of ABs spelling the two of them, so there should be no need to push Austin to the OF unless they're strictly trying to enhance his versatility OR they feel he may have to move off the position - not leaving the possibility that they're going to move him is just not being realistic about the situation.

Not questioning what you've seen - but I saw a lot of Albies before he was moved off of SS too, and saw little reason to move him until they brought in a better option.
    In any post, any first hand thoughts I've given have been about right. Albies, Pache (still lots to prove), a few others. I'll never claim to be smarter than a scout but I have a good thought about what I see. I think AA played himself early. But it simply doesn't take anything away from Riley. Flaws and all he's the best 3B prospect we've had in some time.

Arbitration Eligible
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    773 Posts
    From what I've seen, the Braves only had Drew Waters and Bryse Wilson as top 51-100 guys. They are going through the top 50 right now and they've named Touki, Riley, and Pache in that order so far. I still expect to see Soroka, Wright, and Anderson to give us 8 overall. They are down to the top 33 so I'm gonna guess that Wright is 31, Anderson is at 26, and Soroka is at 23.

Voted Worst Poster
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,831 Posts
    Soroka 24
    Wright 30
    Anderson 32
    Pache 37
    Riley 38
    Touki 50
    Wilson 82
    Waters 86

Five in the top 38 is quite a haul.

Voted Worst Poster
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,831 Posts
    Top 10

10- Rodgers
    9- Kirlilloff
    8- Tucker
    7- Whitley
    6- Senzel
    5- Lewis
    4- Robles
    3- Eloy
    2- Tatis
    1- Vlad Jr

Seems about right, guys like Vlad Jr, Robles, Tucker, Whitley, and Rodgers will probably come up once the arb clock situation is over after a couple weeks.
    Last edited by Heyward; 01-26-2019 at 08:50 PM.

10 yr, $185 million Extension
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    599 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
    I kinda thought the same thing. Looked like a guy overthrowing to light up the gun to me.
    Total agreement here. I sure as hell wouldn’t want him in a high leverage situation at this point... but when he gets better command of the change - looks like he tried a circle maybe- watch out.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,123 Posts
    I think Contreras will have a big year and make it on the list hopefully by midseason. The #9 pick should be on there too

NL Rookie of the Year
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    512 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Hulavol View Post
    Total agreement here. I sure as hell wouldn’t want him in a high leverage situation at this point... but when he gets better command of the change - looks like he tried a circle maybe- watch out.
    That video is not the totality of training that he's getting. I'm no fan of all out throwing he's doing, but they have him working on body alignment, balance, etc. I'm pretty sure this was about velocity...I don't think you take anything away from it other than I wouldn't have put this particular video out there.

Voted Worst Poster
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,831 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Hudson2 View Post
    I think Contreras will have a big year and make it on the list hopefully by midseason. The #9 pick should be on there too
    Not sure Contreras will, the 9th pick should provided he'll get signed. Maybe a guy like Wentz/Muller could.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,360 Posts

donaldson may be the best bat on the market. no one as proven was coming for much cheaper.
    "Well, you’ll learn soon enough that this was a massive red wave landslide." - thethe on the 2020 election that trump lost bigly

“I can’t fix my life, but I can fix the world.” - sturg

Arbitration Eligible
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    773 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Hudson2 View Post
    My prediction for next year is that Soroka, Wright, Touissaint, Wilson and Riley graduate. Pache and Anderson stay in relatively the same spot while Waters shoots up the list to a top ~35 ranking. We add our number 9 pick, Contreras, and Wentz to end up with 6 on the top 100 list for 2020.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,108 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BeanieAntics View Post
    My prediction for next year is that Soroka, Wright, Touissaint, Wilson and Riley graduate. Pache and Anderson stay in relatively the same spot while Waters shoots up the list to a top ~35 ranking. We add our number 9 pick, Contreras, and Wentz to end up with 6 on the top 100 list for 2020.
    I also prefer Waters to Pache. I see him as an Eaton type (in terms of all around contributor if not quite that good), while Paches offense is still too risky.

I’m guessing Riley never makes it to Atlanta
    Last edited by Enscheff; 01-27-2019 at 12:18 PM.

High School Draftee
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts
    Pache swing looks long to me for a guy not generating alot of power, I know hes very young (has room for growth and adjustments) but I prefer Waters as well just seems like a safer floor.

NL Rookie of the Year
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    512 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Champman33 View Post
    Pache swing looks long to me for a guy not generating alot of power, I know hes very young (has room for growth and adjustments) but I prefer Waters as well just seems like a safer floor.
    I'll take the minority view. Paches swing is not long. It has been conducive to line drives and has been since he signed. Last year they adjusted the plane of his swing leading to loft without a lot of loss for line drives. I think Waters and Pache could be switched with who you like depending on the day you see them. I've seen the worst of both. Waters has a better hitting trajectory at this point, but I don't think Pache's far from realizing his hitting ability. We will see...

23. The Following User Says Thank You to Deester11 For This Useful Post:

Champman33 (01-27-2019)