User Tag List

Results 1 to 12 of 12

Thread: BB Pipeline Top 100

  1. #1
    Director of Minor League Reports rico43's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    5,913
    Thanks
    816
    Thanked 5,184 Times in 2,207 Posts
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    BB Pipeline Top 100

    The MLB Pipeline Top 100 also has hit.:

    24. Mike Soroka

    30. Kyle Wright

    32. Ian Anderson

    37. Cristian Pache

    38. Austin Riley

    50. Touki Toussaint

    82. Bryse Wilson

    86. Drew Waters

    What I find interesting is that there has been a groundswell of appreciation about Drew Waters. Homegrown Georgian, I would love to see him be a future face of the franchise.

  2. #2
    Anytime Now Frankie...
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    1,437
    Thanks
    8
    Thanked 481 Times in 299 Posts
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by rico43 View Post
    The MLB Pipeline Top 100 also has hit.:

    24. Mike Soroka

    30. Kyle Wright

    32. Ian Anderson

    37. Cristian Pache

    38. Austin Riley

    50. Touki Toussaint

    82. Bryse Wilson

    86. Drew Waters

    What I find interesting is that there has been a groundswell of appreciation about Drew Waters. Homegrown Georgian, I would love to see him be a future face of the franchise.
    Honestly, i find the Pache rating to be of high interest. Bat questions and all...

  3. The Following User Says Thank You to Deester11 For This Useful Post:

    rico43 (01-27-2019)

  4. #3
    Arbitration Eligible
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Posts
    2,931
    Thanks
    55
    Thanked 963 Times in 646 Posts
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Deester11 View Post
    Honestly, i find the Pache rating to be of high interest. Bat questions and all...
    I think where you rank Pache says a lot about how you approach prospects in general. If you're more about tools and upside, with less regard for risk and/or results, then you'll rank Pache high. If you like to see results and you're a little more risk averse, you'll rank him lower.

    We all need to collectively pray that Pache can get his bat to around league average or slightly better (.750 OPS). If he does, then he will be a game changer and will take our rebuild to yet another level.

  5. #4
    Anytime Now Frankie...
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    1,437
    Thanks
    8
    Thanked 481 Times in 299 Posts
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BeanieAntics View Post
    I think where you rank Pache says a lot about how you approach prospects in general. If you're more about tools and upside, with less regard for risk and/or results, then you'll rank Pache high. If you like to see results and you're a little more risk averse, you'll rank him lower.

    We all need to collectively pray that Pache can get his bat to around league average or slightly better (.750 OPS). If he does, then he will be a game changer and will take our rebuild to yet another level.
    Can't argue with this post. So far Pache has been tools above all else. I'm the conductor of the train that says he will.

  6. #5
    It's OVER 5,000!
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Posts
    6,343
    Thanks
    173
    Thanked 1,548 Times in 1,020 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BeanieAntics View Post
    I think where you rank Pache says a lot about how you approach prospects in general. If you're more about tools and upside, with less regard for risk and/or results, then you'll rank Pache high. If you like to see results and you're a little more risk averse, you'll rank him lower.

    We all need to collectively pray that Pache can get his bat to around league average or slightly better (.750 OPS). If he does, then he will be a game changer and will take our rebuild to yet another level.
    Pache actually has a higher floor than most because of his defensive ability. Even if his bat never comes around at all, he likely has a place on a major league team because of his defense and speed.

    Yes, he also has tools and a high ceiling, but there's not as much risk with him as there is a guy like Waters.
    "Acuna is getting lucky, just like CJ did when he batted .321 and won a batting title. He is unlikely to get lucky at the MLB level over an extended period of time. He will settle in around .300-.320 just like everyone else, and when he does, he won't be within shouting distance of the 1.000 OPS he is posting in AAA...more like low .700s in 2018." -Enscheff 8/25/17

  7. #6
    Very Flirtatious, but Doubts What Love Is. jpx7's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    9,237
    Thanks
    26,678
    Thanked 5,463 Times in 3,188 Posts
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by rico43 View Post
    The MLB Pipeline Top 100 also has hit.:

    24. Mike Soroka

    30. Kyle Wright

    32. Ian Anderson

    37. Cristian Pache

    38. Austin Riley

    50. Touki Toussaint

    82. Bryse Wilson

    86. Drew Waters

    What I find interesting is that there has been a groundswell of appreciation about Drew Waters. Homegrown Georgian, I would love to see him be a future face of the franchise.
    I think Acuņa’s got a claim in on that.
    "For all his tattooings he was on the whole a clean, comely looking cannibal."

  8. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to jpx7 For This Useful Post:

    clvclv (01-30-2019),Dalyn (01-30-2019),Prikichi (01-30-2019),UNCBlue012 (01-30-2019)

  9. #7
    Fredi Gonzalez Supporter Dalyn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Your mom
    Posts
    12,152
    Thanks
    5,748
    Thanked 5,156 Times in 2,966 Posts
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jpx7 View Post
    I think Acuņa’s got a claim in on that.

  10. The Following User Says Thank You to Dalyn For This Useful Post:

    jpx7 (01-30-2019)

  11. #8
    It's OVER 5,000! zbhargrove's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Bismarck, ND
    Posts
    5,219
    Thanks
    255
    Thanked 1,114 Times in 751 Posts
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BeanieAntics View Post
    I think where you rank Pache says a lot about how you approach prospects in general. If you're more about tools and upside, with less regard for risk and/or results, then you'll rank Pache high. If you like to see results and you're a little more risk averse, you'll rank him lower.

    We all need to collectively pray that Pache can get his bat to around league average or slightly better (.750 OPS). If he does, then he will be a game changer and will take our rebuild to yet another level.
    Even with bat questions two tools carrying a 70 grade is pretty rare... especially with potential in the other areas

  12. #9
    PosiBraves Hell Gatekeeper
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    17,484
    Thanks
    32
    Thanked 5,617 Times in 3,326 Posts
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    12:32
    Franswag : Should we be concerned about Ian Anderson’s crazy low breaking ball spin rates? Virtually no one has had success with a breaking ball with spin rates as low as his. Could this cause him to develop into more of a fastball/change guy? Or perhaps he develops a new pitch.

    12:32
    Kiley McDaniel: Seems like scouts are higher on him than analysts, but there’s lots of ways to succeed as a pitcher. I mean, you’d like to have ideal TrackMan stuff on all your pitches and also have a bunch of intangible feel for sequencing and location and reading hitters, but in reality most prospects can only hope to have one and Anderson has lots of the intangible stuff


    This "intangible stuff" is what allowed Allard to succeed in the minors despite underwhelming stuff. I'm not calling Anderson the next Allard because I don't have access to actual data (just second hand reports and numbers that may not be accurate), but the data I analyzed on Allard during his MLB stint pretty clearly showed he won't have much impact at the MLB level.

    If Anderson is truly a guy with mediocre stuff finding success in the minors with advanced sequencing and "knowing how to pitch", now might be a good time to sell high on him.
    I think he (Teheran) finishes with a FIP ~3.3. -CrazyTrain 3/25/2019

    Gausman had a bad walk ratio for us -CrazyTrain 11/20/2018
    BB/9 with Braves: 2.72

    Fried, Newk and a couple other guys for Bumgarner and give him a pay day for 6ish years -CrazyTrain 10/15/18

  13. The Following User Says Thank You to Enscheff For This Useful Post:

    rico43 (01-31-2019)

  14. #10
    It's OVER 5,000!
    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Posts
    5,763
    Thanks
    235
    Thanked 986 Times in 755 Posts
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    what is the sourcing on Anderson's spin rates? I just saw people starting to talk about them being low without any specifics.

    He's not throwing 89 so that helps a little.

  15. #11
    Arbitration Eligible
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Posts
    2,931
    Thanks
    55
    Thanked 963 Times in 646 Posts
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
    12:32
    Franswag : Should we be concerned about Ian Anderson’s crazy low breaking ball spin rates? Virtually no one has had success with a breaking ball with spin rates as low as his. Could this cause him to develop into more of a fastball/change guy? Or perhaps he develops a new pitch.

    12:32
    Kiley McDaniel: Seems like scouts are higher on him than analysts, but there’s lots of ways to succeed as a pitcher. I mean, you’d like to have ideal TrackMan stuff on all your pitches and also have a bunch of intangible feel for sequencing and location and reading hitters, but in reality most prospects can only hope to have one and Anderson has lots of the intangible stuff


    This "intangible stuff" is what allowed Allard to succeed in the minors despite underwhelming stuff. I'm not calling Anderson the next Allard because I don't have access to actual data (just second hand reports and numbers that may not be accurate), but the data I analyzed on Allard during his MLB stint pretty clearly showed he won't have much impact at the MLB level.

    If Anderson is truly a guy with mediocre stuff finding success in the minors with advanced sequencing and "knowing how to pitch", now might be a good time to sell high on him.
    The spin rates on Anderson are very concerning, but he also throws quite a bit harder than Allard and misses bats at an exceptionally high rate. I don't have any data, but that suggests to me that there is something else going on other than advanced sequencing and an above average fastball. I saw him once in Mississippi and I couldn't really tell much based off where I was sitting, but he was really impressive going 6 innings and striking out 10. He looked like a legit prospect.

    I'm not really sure what to make of the low spin rates, honestly. It seems like it'd be pretty tough to maintain such high strikeout rates if you didn't have some sort of plus secondary pitch to go along with a good fastball, unless he was throwing consistently 98+ or something, which he isn't.

  16. #12
    PosiBraves Hell Gatekeeper
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    17,484
    Thanks
    32
    Thanked 5,617 Times in 3,326 Posts
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A guy can both be better than Allard and still be a sell high candidate.

    If a rival team like the Marlins value Anderson as a TOR guy, or the "next Mike Mussina" as was bandied about when he was drafted, but internal analytics pegs him as a 3/4 SP, then he is a sell high candidate.

    Sure, a young 3/4 SP is plenty valuable, but the return from a team who considers that same SP to be a TOR guy is likely even more valuable.

    Having said that, I'm not ready to put full faith into reported spin rate numbers. I wish I could access the data myself.
    I think he (Teheran) finishes with a FIP ~3.3. -CrazyTrain 3/25/2019

    Gausman had a bad walk ratio for us -CrazyTrain 11/20/2018
    BB/9 with Braves: 2.72

    Fried, Newk and a couple other guys for Bumgarner and give him a pay day for 6ish years -CrazyTrain 10/15/18

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •