Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Marta to suntrust?

if my thought dreams could be seen goldfly's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,262 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Krgrecw View Post
    Detroit? Philadelphia? Watts? Chicago? Rodney king? Baltimore? New York?

Majority of major race riots happened in the north.

I live in SC. We had the confederate flag flying from our state house, We had an officer shoot a unarmed fleeing black man, and a disturbed insane person commit mass murder in a black church, all within the same time period. Not one riot, not one overturned car nor did one shop have a broken window happen as an effect. No real riots due to the Trayvon martin verdict either.

If racism is so worse in the south why do major riots only take place in the north?
    this could be the dumbest thing i have seen you post

and that is saying something
    "For there is always light, if only we are brave enough to see it. If only we are brave enough to be it." Amanda Gorman

"When Fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross"

2. The Following User Says Thank You to goldfly For This Useful Post:

Prikichi (02-05-2019)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,360 Posts
    Detroit? Philadelphia? Watts? Chicago? Rodney king? Baltimore? New York?

Majority of major race riots happened in the north.

I live in SC. We had the confederate flag flying from our state house, We had an officer shoot a unarmed fleeing black man, and a disturbed insane person commit mass murder in a black church, all within the same time period. Not one riot, not one overturned car nor did one shop have a broken window happen as an effect. No real riots due to the Trayvon martin verdict either.

If racism is so worse in the south why do major riots only take place in the north?
    lmao what???
    classic southern intelligence
    "Well, you’ll learn soon enough that this was a massive red wave landslide." - thethe on the 2020 election that trump lost bigly

“I can’t fix my life, but I can fix the world.” - sturg

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,040 Posts
    This thread is turning into something better suited for the Real Talk forum. I regret mentioning the race issue and starting all this. Just trying to give people who live elsewhere an idea as to the myriad reasons why Atlanta struggles with expanding public transit and why it means the Braves are unlikely ever to get rail service.

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,353 Posts
    Was there just a post equating racism with protesting racism, while listing several news worthy racist events to describe your city as not being racist.
    Coppy

**NOT ACTUALLY RACIST
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    440 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Super View Post
    lmao what???

You said racism was more ‘prevalent’ in the south, which it isn’t.

I know liberals don’t like debating or arguing because it’s easier for them to sit back and call everyone and anyone they disagree with a racist but just back up your statements.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,675 Posts
    I just wanna ride the marta from downtown Atlanta to suntrust, not measure the racism level of each US city

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to msstate7 For This Useful Post:

Garmel (02-05-2019), The Chosen One (02-05-2019)

if my thought dreams could be seen goldfly's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,262 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by msstate7 View Post
    I just wanna ride the marta from downtown Atlanta to suntrust, not measure the racism level of each US city
    You can

Gonna have to transfer to a bus and walk a little but it can be done

And it will take 1 hour
    "For there is always light, if only we are brave enough to see it. If only we are brave enough to be it." Amanda Gorman

"When Fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross"

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,360 Posts
    You said racism was more ‘prevalent’ in the south, which it isn’t.

I know liberals don’t like debating or arguing because it’s easier for them to sit back and call everyone and anyone they disagree with a racist but just back up your statements.
    do you realize nothing you said backs up anything you said
    i mean, one part of the country still celebrates those who wanted to enslave black people.
    "Well, you’ll learn soon enough that this was a massive red wave landslide." - thethe on the 2020 election that trump lost bigly

“I can’t fix my life, but I can fix the world.” - sturg

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,974 Posts
    it's certainly everywhere, but i think "just as prevalent" is a little far.
    Have you been to those cities?

I have to question anyone who thinks racism is a predominantly Southern issue.
    Last edited by Carp; 02-05-2019 at 02:31 PM.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,150 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Carp View Post

Bo, hadn't you seen "Do the Right Thang?"

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,974 Posts
    I should preface that by saying I am not arguing the same thing kcgrew is arguing. Not even close. I absolutely acknowledge the racial issues minority groups have previously faced and still do. But too many people act like it's not an issue in the rest of the country.
    Last edited by Carp; 02-05-2019 at 02:33 PM.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Carp For This Useful Post:

Garmel (02-05-2019)

High School Draftee
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts
    do you realize nothing you said backs up anything you said
    i mean, one part of the country still celebrates those who wanted to enslave black people.
    I have no idea who you are talking about, but I don't see people celebrating people who wanted to enslave others in Georgia as a reason for celebrating those people. Now if you have a complaint about great men and leaders in this country, that owned slaves (most of them were in norther states, something most people don't know) then you should also have a problem with MLK jr who often had drunken parties, hiring white hookers and beating them half to death as well as the fact that he plagiarized his dissertation for his doctorate. These things I've just stated were in a book written by his close friend, Rev. Ralph Abernathy. If you find a perfect man out there that's great, but as far as I know, there's only been one. Otherwise, except that great men exist that have baggage.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,150 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Lenny View Post
    I have no idea who you are talking about, but I don't see people celebrating people who wanted to enslave others in Georgia as a reason for celebrating those people. Now if you have a complaint about great men and leaders in this country, that owned slaves (most of them were in norther states, something most people don't know) then you should also have a problem with MLK jr who often had drunken parties, hiring white hookers and beating them half to death as well as the fact that he plagiarized his dissertation for his doctorate. These things I've just stated were in a book written by his close friend, Rev. Ralph Abernathy. If you find a perfect man out there that's great, but as far as I know, there's only been one. Otherwise, except that great men exist that have baggage.

Most of the slave owners were in the "norther states"?

North of what, Cuba?

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,150 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Lenny View Post

You can search Reverend Abernathy's book all you want and you will find no references to his having sex parties with white hookers or beating them half to death.

You will certainly find reference to his infidelities, however.

Your right wing forwards are letting you down as they tend to always do.

High School Draftee
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Southcack77 View Post
    You can search Reverend Abernathy's book all you want and you will find no references to his having sex parties with white hookers or beating them half to death.

You will certainly find reference to his infidelities, however.

Your right wing forwards are letting you down as they tend to always do.
    No not really, you actually helped make my point, just not as strong. You agree that he was no saint and that's all I wanted to point out. Every great man has a history and baggage. My comments were not right wing, but just to say that all people have stuff. I do. I bet you do too. We can both be right leaning, left leaning or somewhere in the middle, we still have stuff that was not a shinning moment in our lives.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,108 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bravesfanMatt View Post
    Was there just a post equating racism with protesting racism, while listing several news worthy racist events to describe your city as not being racist.
    LOL, yes, yes there was such a post.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,481 Posts
    Moved to Real Talk so the rest of the board doesn't get dumber.

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,941 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Carp View Post

Racism is pretty much everywhere. I think the specter of slavery makes it a bigger burden for Southerners to deal with (and to some extent justifiably so), but the Minneapolis/St. Paul metropolitan area is extremely segregated as the white population has basically left the core cities and the inner-ring suburbs.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,040 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CyYoung31 View Post
    Moved to Real Talk so the rest of the board doesn't get dumber.
    You are a wise man.

Boras' Client
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    847 Posts
    lmao what???
    I don't agree with or defend k very often (he can attest to this) but there is some truth to what he posted. I don't know much about South Carolina's recent racial history but while racism is still very much alive in the South it is also very much alive in the North, East, and West as well. This is one of the reasons why racism won't die once and for all. People consider racism to be racism when somebody else does it, but when they themselves does it, it's something else, more of an "I'll make up the name for it when the time comes" sort of thing.

He is right that most of the biggest race riots of the 20th century happened in the North. Check it out. One of the few and worst exceptions to that was in my own home state of OK, Tulsa to be exact back in the early 1920s and it will be to our everlasting shame. For anybody who has been to the biggest cities (relatively speaking) in OK you can attest that while there are tons of good people in both Tulsa and OKC the people of Tulsa tend to act and even speak more like folks from the North those from the South (langauge, tone, inflections, overall accent).

Ray Baker wrote a book back during the Muckraking era (approximately 1900-1910 mainly) entitled Following the Color Line and in that book he attests that during the time he was researching the subject for his book (1907-1908), about 90% of black people still lived in the South. Now if you said in 1868, 3 years after the end of the Civil War, 90% of black people still lived in the South it wouldn't be all that shocking, after all it takes more than 3 years for a mass migration to take place. But for it to be true in 1908, some 43 years after the end of the Civil War, really says something, if you're just willing to receive the message.

This sort of thing is why the Civil War, Reconstruction, racism, the Emancipation Proclamation, and so on are still not very well understood. People want to just insert their own ideology into it rather than really learn the truth about it.