Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
Nobody under the age of 40 wants to see a pitcher lay down a bunt or flail away miserably at the plate. It is not exciting to watch Glavine poke the ball 15' in front of the plate. It does not add "strategy" when bunting is the expected tactic for pitchers. If sending up a guy to PH in the 5th through 9th inning qualifies as "strategy" to you, then you're so mentally slow you won't be able to figure out how to watch baseball when it goes all streaming in 10 years anyways (as evidenced by all the bitching over FB Live games).

The number of grumpy old guys who stop watching baseball due to the DH will be far outweighed by the number of young people who tolerate watching a baseball game with every rule change that rids the game of some of its monotony. These rule changes are needed, and far overdue.

Forcing a pitcher to face 3 batters could be a minimal improvement on the pace of play problem. The "unless they are injured" loophole needs to be closed by forcing a pitcher removed from a game early to be placed on the DL, or it will just be abused. All these small pace of play improvements will add up to some time savings, but the main one continues to be time between pitches....the fault of both the batter and pitcher.
I'm well under 40 and I much prefer games without DHs to those with them. Interleague play has allowed me enough time to see the team I really care about play with a DH and I prefer pitchers hit.

I like there being that question of whether you pinch hit for your pitcher in the 5th or let him bat and try to squeeze an extra inning out of him. I like the debate of whether you should pitch to an 8 hole hitter with 2 outs and so get the pitcher first the next inning or whether you should walk the hitter and end the inning by facing the pitcher.

Then there are those awesome moments when you walk a guy to get to the pitcher and the pitcher makes you pay by getting a hit and driving in runs.

I'm not going to say the DH ruins the game, I just prefer having those little aspects over having an extra bat.