Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Universal DH in 2019

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,040 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
    Nobody under the age of 40 wants to see a pitcher lay down a bunt or flail away miserably at the plate. It is not exciting to watch Glavine poke the ball 15' in front of the plate. It does not add "strategy" when bunting is the expected tactic for pitchers. If sending up a guy to PH in the 5th through 9th inning qualifies as "strategy" to you, then you're so mentally slow you won't be able to figure out how to watch baseball when it goes all streaming in 10 years anyways (as evidenced by all the bitching over FB Live games).

The number of grumpy old guys who stop watching baseball due to the DH will be far outweighed by the number of young people who tolerate watching a baseball game with every rule change that rids the game of some of its monotony. These rule changes are needed, and far overdue.

Forcing a pitcher to face 3 batters could be a minimal improvement on the pace of play problem. The "unless they are injured" loophole needs to be closed by forcing a pitcher removed from a game early to be placed on the DL, or it will just be abused. All these small pace of play improvements will add up to some time savings, but the main one continues to be time between pitches....the fault of both the batter and pitcher.
    I'm well under 40 and I much prefer games without DHs to those with them. Interleague play has allowed me enough time to see the team I really care about play with a DH and I prefer pitchers hit.

I like there being that question of whether you pinch hit for your pitcher in the 5th or let him bat and try to squeeze an extra inning out of him. I like the debate of whether you should pitch to an 8 hole hitter with 2 outs and so get the pitcher first the next inning or whether you should walk the hitter and end the inning by facing the pitcher.

Then there are those awesome moments when you walk a guy to get to the pitcher and the pitcher makes you pay by getting a hit and driving in runs.

I'm not going to say the DH ruins the game, I just prefer having those little aspects over having an extra bat.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,481 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by striker42 View Post
    Then there are those awesome moments when you walk a guy to get to the pitcher and the pitcher makes you pay by getting a hit and driving in runs.
    Your 9th hitter is most likely going to be a glove-first no-bat guy, so you're still going to have that to some degree.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to CyYoung31 For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (02-08-2019)

Arbitration Eligible
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    314 Posts
    I just don't understand the universal DH. I thought Bud was the worst commish we would ever have just simply because of his role in the 1994 work stoppage, but it is clear RM doesn't really get it. At least Bud respected the game in his tenure.This is something that could end my interest in baseball. Never thought I would say that. Baseball just wasn't meant to be conveyor belts of hitters. Just leave the NL alone. Even people that support it can't back it up with solid reasons.

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,941 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
    Roster construction is changing as a direct result of analytics.

Analytics told us that SPs face a severe penalty when facing a batter for the 3rd time, so more BP are used. More BP guys lead to more PH being used because analytics told us how important platoon advantages truly are.
    This is my minor beef with the new school. It's kind of funny how the third time through the line-up correlates with pitch counts, so there's really nothing new there. Elias used to publish a comprehensive book of statistical analysis back in the 1980s (I gave MadduxFanII all my editions) and they used to chart the BAA for every pitcher for < 30 pitches/30-60 pitches/and > 60 pitches. Rudimentary by today's standards, but I can't remember seeing a chart for a pitcher where the BAA got better as the pitch count increased.

Recognition of platoon advantages has been around since employed comprehensively by Casey Stengel in the 1950s. Granted, it is more universal now, but even the casual fan can discern which handed-hitters can't hit which handed-pitchers (and vice-versa). Crap, Bobby Cox was a strict platoon manager when he was with the Blue Jays (although that didn't carry over to the same extent when he came back to the Braves).

I think what has changed that I don't know can be laid at the feet of analytics and that is the reluctance of managers to allow relief pitchers to pitch more than an inning. To me, that is what has led to the proliferation of relief pitchers and the increased need for pinch-hitters more than anything else. I noticed last season that more managers were using relief pitchers for more than an inning and maybe that will lessen some bullpen reliance.

I do think that another element in all of this is player development. It seems (and I have nothing to back this up at all) is that they move players through systems so quickly that they aren't finished products when the hit the big leagues. That exposes some weaknesses at the big league level that might turn a lot of guys into part-time players or very isolated-use relief pitchers. I believe that is more prevalent among pitchers and has been covered by the "throw as hard as you can for as long as you can" school of thought. A little more tutelage may (and maybe not) help guys develop an "out pitch" that would reduce pitch counts. I'll admit this is all anecdotal, but maybe someone more adept at deep analysis can help me out (and probably prove me wrong).

Don't take this as a rip. I really respect the stats movement and it's opened up a lot of new ways of thinking and your contributions to the board are really valuable to me.
    Last edited by 50PoundHead; 02-07-2019 at 01:09 PM.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 50PoundHead For This Useful Post:

clvclv (02-06-2019), jpx7 (02-08-2019)

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,941 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by clvclv View Post
    Love it when someone else finds a reason to mention Smokey - knew him for a long time, and he was truly a better person than player!!!
    He must have been a prince, because he was a pretty good baseball player.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to 50PoundHead For This Useful Post:

clvclv (02-06-2019)

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 50PoundHead View Post
    He must have been a prince, because he was a pretty good baseball player.
    He was awesome - my Grandfather's best friend.
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,040 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CyYoung31 View Post
    Your 9th hitter is most likely going to be a glove-first no-bat guy, so you're still going to have that to some degree.
    To a lesser extent. There's just something satisfying about a pitcher making someone pay.

if my thought dreams could be seen goldfly's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,262 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 50PoundHead View Post
    I'll admit I am a dinosaur, but there's no excuse for having the art of bunting disintegrate the way that it has.
    "For there is always light, if only we are brave enough to see it. If only we are brave enough to be it." Amanda Gorman

"When Fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross"

12. The Following User Says Thank You to goldfly For This Useful Post:

50PoundHead (02-07-2019)

Outskirts Of Mobile, Alabama. Roll Tide!!!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,775 Posts
    Chopping With The Braves And Rolling With The Tide

Boras' Client
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    399 Posts
    Buried in MLBTR today---

MLB commissioner Rob Manfred said today at the owners’ meetings that the league is not interested in considering certain union-proposed changes in advance of the 2019 season, as Ronald Blum of the AP reports. In particular, Manfred indicated he is not open to the introduction of the designated hitter to the National League.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,487 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by salmagundy View Post
    Buried in MLBTR today---

MLB commissioner Rob Manfred said today at the owners’ meetings that the league is not interested in considering certain union-proposed changes in advance of the 2019 season, as Ronald Blum of the AP reports. In particular, Manfred indicated he is not open to the introduction of the designated hitter to the National League.
    Sounds like he doesn't want it added until at least the new CBA....I could see it making sense to put it off, giving the NL teams enough time to properly construct their roster.
    Get off my lawn!

Spring Training Invitee
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    43 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bravesfanforlife88 View Post
    Sounds like he doesn't want it added until at least the new CBA....I could see it making sense to put it off, giving the NL teams enough time to properly construct their roster.
    Plus then it’s another “concession” the owners can make during negotiations.

Arbitration Eligible
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    314 Posts
    Part of the charm in the game when I was young was the difference in the leauges. The DH, the two sets of umps, the mystique of the WS. The two very distinct different styles of play. It was just an all around better game and much more fun. There was pride in your league, with none of this I have two teams bullcrap. MLB should take note from NASCAR and stop making changes to the foundation of the sport. NASCAR has made foundational changes in the last 15 years and it is biting hard now. Instead of bringing more in it has played a role in driving people away.
    Last edited by VirginiaBrave; 02-08-2019 at 07:09 PM.

Arbitration Eligible
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    314 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 4maddux_cy's View Post
    Plus then it’s another “concession” the owners can make during negotiations.
    It sounds to me players don't want it.