User Tag List

Results 1 to 19 of 19

Thread: Deciphering Braves Payroll

  1. #1
    Expects Yuge Games nsacpi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    22,959
    Thanks
    1,705
    Thanked 8,070 Times in 5,063 Posts
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Deciphering Braves Payroll

    Terry McGuirk's comments provide some food for thought.

    As I understand it he said season ending payroll last year was $126M. He said the target was $120M (I take it this was the target for the season not opening day).

    He said the projection for 2020 is $140M. I interpret him to be taking about the target for the season not opening day.

    With these caveats in mind, I switch now to talking about opening day payrolls.

    Last year (by my calculations) I had us at $113M. Those of you who keep track please chime in on whether your numbers are similar.

    AT this point I have us at $114 for 2019 opening day payroll. If we sign someone like Bud Norris we will be at $117M or so, a small increase over 2018.

    We did take on some payroll mid-season last year (Gausman, O'Day, Venters, Brach, Duda, Duvall). About $8M if your prorate it for the fact we had those players for about a third of the season. Add that to the 113 opening day and you get to 121M. How does McGwirk get to 126M. Well players spend some time on the DL and you need to bring up guys from the minors. That's maybe 2M. So we are up to 123M. He may also be counting the salaries of guys on the 40 man but not on the 25 man roster. That gets you pretty close to 126M.

    As for this year. If we start at 117M, I'm guessing we will have flexibility to take on another $10M prorated mid-season (or contracts with annual value of 25-30M).
    Last edited by nsacpi; 02-14-2019 at 04:43 PM.
    “It's a shame the White House has become an adult day care center. Someone obviously missed their shift this morning.” Senator Bob Corker

  2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to nsacpi For This Useful Post:

    Jaw (02-14-2019),jpx7 (02-14-2019),Managuarantano's Volunteers (02-23-2019),Runnin (02-14-2019)

  3. #2
    Expects Yuge Games nsacpi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    22,959
    Thanks
    1,705
    Thanked 8,070 Times in 5,063 Posts
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What about 2020. Let's work backwards from that $140M McGuirk threw out. 5M roughly is "roster churning." 10M is mid-season moves. So $140M would equate to about 125M opening day.

    That's what we are talking about.

    So the progression for opening day payrolls looks roughly like this:

    2018: 113M
    2019: 117M
    2020: 125M
    Last edited by nsacpi; 02-14-2019 at 04:43 PM.
    “It's a shame the White House has become an adult day care center. Someone obviously missed their shift this morning.” Senator Bob Corker

  4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to nsacpi For This Useful Post:

    Jaw (02-14-2019),jpx7 (02-14-2019),Managuarantano's Volunteers (02-23-2019)

  5. #3
    It's OVER 5,000!
    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Posts
    5,329
    Thanks
    219
    Thanked 873 Times in 669 Posts
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by nsacpi View Post
    Terry McGwirk's comments provide some food for thought.

    As I understand it he said season ending payroll last year was $126M. He said the target was $120M (I take it this was the target for the season not opening day).

    He said the projection for 2020 is $140M. I interpret him to be taking about the target for the season not opening day.

    With these caveats in mind, I switch now to talking about opening day payrolls.

    Last year (by my calculations) I had us at $113M. Those of you who keep track please chime in on whether your numbers are similar.

    AT this point I have us at $114 for 2019 opening day payroll. If we sign someone like Bud Norris we will be at $117M or so, a small increase over 2018.

    We did take on some payroll mid-season last year (Gausman, O'Day, Venters, Brach, Duda, Duvall). About $8M if your prorate it for the fact we had those players for about a third of the season. Add that to the 113 opening day and you get to 121M. How does McGwirk get to 126M. Well players spend some time on the DL and you need to bring up guys from the minors. That's maybe 2M. So we are up to 123M. He may also be counting the salaries of guys on the 40 man but not on the 25 man roster. That gets you pretty close to 126M.

    As for this year. If we start at 117M, I'm guessing we will have flexibility to take on another $10M prorated mid-season (or contracts with annual value of 25-30M).

    He would be counting the 40 man payroll, I would think. That's what would be important to the team from financial point of view.

    He did also confirm that the Braves budget for in-season acquisitions. He referenced adding to the needs of the team, but also delivering the psychological boost to team (and fans) that they organization is doing something to help. Not ground breaking stuff, but pretty much confirms that they are not going to start season with max possible payroll.

  6. #4
    PosiBraves Hell Gatekeeper
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    16,297
    Thanks
    29
    Thanked 4,983 Times in 2,965 Posts
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Trending toward the middle!
    I think he (Teheran) finishes with a FIP ~3.3. -CrazyTrain 3/25/2019

    Gausman had a bad walk ratio for us -CrazyTrain 11/20/2018
    BB/9 with Braves: 2.72

    Fried, Newk and a couple other guys for Bumgarner and give him a pay day for 6ish years -CrazyTrain 10/15/18

  7. #5
    It's OVER 5,000!
    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Posts
    5,329
    Thanks
    219
    Thanked 873 Times in 669 Posts
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by nsacpi View Post
    What about 2020. Let's work backwards from that $140M McGwirk threw out. 5M roughly is "roster churning." 10M is mid-season moves. So $140M would equate to about 125M opening day.

    That's what we are talking about.

    So the progression for opening day payrolls looks roughly like this:

    2018: 113M
    2019: 117M
    2020: 125M
    It might look like that. I think it would just depend on circumstances. If their acquisition at the deadline carries significant salary, they might start higher in 2020, but theoretically have less flexibility to add (or at least they would have to pay more to get money back).

  8. #6
    It's OVER 5,000!
    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Posts
    5,329
    Thanks
    219
    Thanked 873 Times in 669 Posts
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
    Trending toward the middle!

    Upper middle!

  9. #7
    Expects Yuge Games nsacpi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    22,959
    Thanks
    1,705
    Thanked 8,070 Times in 5,063 Posts
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's good to know they made a mid-course adjustment of $6M last season. If they hadn't done that AA would have been much more restricted in the moves he could have made last mid-season. I do wonder if part of the "deal" involved paring back a little on payroll in 2019.
    “It's a shame the White House has become an adult day care center. Someone obviously missed their shift this morning.” Senator Bob Corker

  10. #8
    NL Rookie of the Year
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    2,249
    Thanks
    421
    Thanked 465 Times in 307 Posts
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Started from the bottom and we're still here!
    Started from the bottom, and our same team effin here

  11. #9
    Expects Yuge Games nsacpi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    22,959
    Thanks
    1,705
    Thanked 8,070 Times in 5,063 Posts
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I imagine the conversation last mid-season went something like this:

    AA: The team is doing much better than expected. Attendance is surprising to the upside. It is important for the fans and players to feel ownership is willing to step up at a time like this.

    Liberty: OK. We're bumping up your budget by 6M. But please budget conservatively at the start of next season so we don't have a similar conversation next year.

    The result is that AA is starting out this season with roughly 10M budgeted for mid-season moves (which prorates to taking on salaries with an annual value in the 25-30M range).

    Last year the opening day payroll left room for only 2M of of mid-season moves (which ended up about 8M after ownership made a mid-season course adjustment). AA knows he can't make those kinds of mid-season requests an annual thing.
    “It's a shame the White House has become an adult day care center. Someone obviously missed their shift this morning.” Senator Bob Corker

  12. #10
    It's OVER 5,000!
    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Posts
    5,329
    Thanks
    219
    Thanked 873 Times in 669 Posts
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by nsacpi View Post
    I imagine the conversation last mid-season went something like this:

    AA: The team is doing much better than expected. Attendance is surprising to the upside. It is important for the fans and players to feel ownership is willing to step up at a time like this.

    Liberty: OK. We're bumping up your budget by 6M. But please budget conservatively at the start of next season so we don't have a similar conversation next year.

    The result is that AA is starting out this season with roughly 10M budgeted for mid-season moves (which prorates to taking on salaries with an annual value in the 25-30M range).

    Last year the opening day payroll left room for only 2M of of mid-season moves (which ended up about 8M after ownership made a mid-season course adjustment). AA knows he can't make those kinds of mid-season requests an annual thing.
    McQuirk says he has autonomy over the payroll. Obviously, that's not entirely correct, but Liberty is too big of a corporation to particularly need the Braves to kick cash up to them. I suspect his marching orders are to keep the books in reasonably good order and to not do anything that would stop the value of the team from appreciating. They just want the write offs and to show investors growth.

  13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Southcack77 For This Useful Post:

    Jaw (02-14-2019),jpx7 (02-14-2019)

  14. #11
    Steve Harvey'd
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Posts
    11,295
    Thanks
    1,229
    Thanked 3,212 Times in 1,928 Posts
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Southcack77 View Post
    McQuirk says he has autonomy over the payroll. Obviously, that's not entirely correct, but Liberty is too big of a corporation to particularly need the Braves to kick cash up to them. I suspect his marching orders are to keep the books in reasonably good order and to not do anything that would stop the value of the team from appreciating. They just want the write offs and to show investors growth.
    Yes. If terry needs 6 million to spend he only has to look at his books and take it from another piece of the pie. I.e. pay less debt.
    Coppy

  15. #12
    Awaiting a Promotion
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Acworth,GA
    Posts
    568
    Thanks
    14
    Thanked 182 Times in 101 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    OK so payroll was 126M or 130M, does it matter? Not really when $40.7M of that was being paid to people not playing for the braves. mainly Kazmir and Adrian Gonzalez. We Played much of the second half of the season with a payroll of <$80m on the field.

  16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to depley For This Useful Post:

    JohnAdcox (02-14-2019),jpx7 (02-14-2019)

  17. #13
    Expects Yuge Games nsacpi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    22,959
    Thanks
    1,705
    Thanked 8,070 Times in 5,063 Posts
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by depley View Post
    OK so payroll was 126M or 130M, does it matter? Not really when $40.7M of that was being paid to people not playing for the braves. mainly Kazmir and Adrian Gonzalez. We Played much of the second half of the season with a payroll of <$80m on the field.
    winning the division last year was a small miracle

    or as i like to call it The Miracle of the Golden Wrens
    “It's a shame the White House has become an adult day care center. Someone obviously missed their shift this morning.” Senator Bob Corker

  18. #14
    Anytime Now Frankie... Freshmaker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Atlanta
    Posts
    1,317
    Thanks
    969
    Thanked 469 Times in 229 Posts
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by nsacpi View Post
    What about 2020. Let's work backwards from that $140M McGuirk threw out. 5M roughly is "roster churning." 10M is mid-season moves. So $140M would equate to about 125M opening day.

    That's what we are talking about.

    So the progression for opening day payrolls looks roughly like this:

    2018: 113M
    2019: 117M
    2020: 125M
    We no longer have any dead money on the books right? Might not be a bad exercise to also include payroll of players actually on the field (ie useful pieces and not dead weight). I know we had Gonzalez, Kazmir et al on the books last year, so I think I read the on-field payroll was like $85M or so - around that.

  19. #15
    Very Flirtatious, but Doubts What Love Is. jpx7's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    8,724
    Thanks
    24,447
    Thanked 5,275 Times in 3,056 Posts
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by depley View Post
    We Played much of the second half of the season with a payroll of <$80m on the field.
    O’Day was more dead second-half money that will at least be revenant in 2019.
    "For all his tattooings he was on the whole a clean, comely looking cannibal."

  20. The Following User Says Thank You to jpx7 For This Useful Post:

    Jaw (02-14-2019)

  21. #16
    Expects Yuge Games nsacpi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    22,959
    Thanks
    1,705
    Thanked 8,070 Times in 5,063 Posts
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total dead money last year (Gonzalez, Kazmir, O'Day prorated) was close to 40M.
    “It's a shame the White House has become an adult day care center. Someone obviously missed their shift this morning.” Senator Bob Corker

  22. The Following User Says Thank You to nsacpi For This Useful Post:

    jpx7 (02-15-2019)

  23. #17
    "What is a clvclv"
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Nebo, NC
    Posts
    6,422
    Thanks
    3,689
    Thanked 1,709 Times in 1,136 Posts
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by nsacpi View Post
    Terry McGuirk's comments provide some food for thought.

    As I understand it he said season ending payroll last year was $126M. He said the target was $120M (I take it this was the target for the season not opening day).

    He said the projection for 2020 is $140M. I interpret him to be taking about the target for the season not opening day.

    With these caveats in mind, I switch now to talking about opening day payrolls.

    Last year (by my calculations) I had us at $113M. Those of you who keep track please chime in on whether your numbers are similar.

    AT this point I have us at $114 for 2019 opening day payroll. If we sign someone like Bud Norris we will be at $117M or so, a small increase over 2018.

    We did take on some payroll mid-season last year (Gausman, O'Day, Venters, Brach, Duda, Duvall). About $8M if your prorate it for the fact we had those players for about a third of the season. Add that to the 113 opening day and you get to 121M. How does McGwirk get to 126M. Well players spend some time on the DL and you need to bring up guys from the minors. That's maybe 2M. So we are up to 123M. He may also be counting the salaries of guys on the 40 man but not on the 25 man roster. That gets you pretty close to 126M.

    As for this year. If we start at 117M, I'm guessing we will have flexibility to take on another $10M prorated mid-season (or contracts with annual value of 25-30M).
    Roughly the same - $114,200,000 using $600,000 for renewable players' salaries.
    The FO that needlessly promoted him early knew what they were doing and are paid to do this. We aren't, so we can't know more than them. Correction....they used to be paid to do this..

    I also don't see the reasoning behind signing DK over CK, and I'm going to assume the Braves can only afford one of them. Like Bumgarner, DK would be an improvement in the rotation, but it seems like CK would be a bigger improvement in the BP.

  24. The Following User Says Thank You to clvclv For This Useful Post:

    nsacpi (02-15-2019)

  25. #18
    Danville Rookie tululush's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    317
    Thanks
    9
    Thanked 62 Times in 39 Posts
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I wonder if this is why we don’t have any money to spend? They’re using it to build more in and around The Battery...

    https://www.mdjonline.com/cobb_busin...a44755739.html

  26. #19
    Expects Yuge Games nsacpi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    22,959
    Thanks
    1,705
    Thanked 8,070 Times in 5,063 Posts
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So with Keuchel (13M) we are around 129M. With roster churn we are around 133M.

    As noted in the opening post, McGuirk said we were at 126M (including roster churn) in 2018 and had a target of 140M for 2020. I suspect that signing Keuchel takes us very close to the limit for 2019. We probably have room for someone like Will Smith (half of his $4.2M salary) but that would be about it.

    Now we understand why money had to change hands in the Swarzak for Viz trade to keep things even.
    “It's a shame the White House has become an adult day care center. Someone obviously missed their shift this morning.” Senator Bob Corker

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •