Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Homer Bailey

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    564 Posts
    Wren needs to get on the phone with the Cubs and inquire about Samardzija and take care of this pitching thing.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jsebe10 View Post
    Wren needs to get on the phone with the Cubs and inquire about Samardzija and take care of this pitching thing.
    I didn't know that pitching was a problem of ours.
    Natural Immunity Croc

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    564 Posts
    Tell Hudson that.

Voted Worst Poster
    '13, '14, '15 (Co-Winner)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,832 Posts
    He's not much of an upgrade over what we got, and the Cubs are asking the moon for him.

No thanks.

Only one guy who is a HUGE upgrade and he'd gut our farm.

Called Up to the Major Leagues
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    116 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Tapate50 View Post
    Texas Tea
    first thing you know ol Jed's a millionaire... so's Homer

Playing the Waiting Game Bdawg2309's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    86 Posts
    dbacks will probably end up getting him

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    25 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Heyward View Post
    He's not much of an upgrade over what we got, and the Cubs are asking the moon for him.

No thanks.

Only one guy who is a HUGE upgrade and he'd gut our farm.
    Have you seen Homer Bailey pitch? The guy has legit ace stuff and if Teheran keeps progressing then I would feel pretty dang good in a 5 game series with Homer Bailey and Teheran. If Homer pitched at Turner Field next season I could see him easily having a Cy Young type year. Now if I'm FW I give the Reds an offer of Wood,Bethancourt,Northcraft and low level prospect and say if you can find a better offer then so be it but the offer is there. Wood has some considerable upside but it's not Homer Bailey good and Bethancourt while a wizard behind the plate strikes me as one of those catchers who doesn't really become a good hitter until later in his career. Northcraft does have some upside as well but it's a trade I could live with. Either way FW isn't going to make a trade where he gives up a ton of our minor league talent and that's one thing I can say FW has done a pretty good job at.

I just have a feeling that Bailey may be the guy FW is targeting IF he is looking for an upper tier SP. FW will not deal with TB's GM and his absurd asking price for Price so I don't even see that being in the realm of possibility and Detroit will ask for a good bit with the season Scherzer just had as it was a really special season by Max so his value is about as high as it gets for a SP.

Voted Worst Poster
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,832 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Teheran_49 View Post
    Have you seen Homer Bailey pitch? The guy has legit ace stuff and if Teheran keeps progressing then I would feel pretty dang good in a 5 game series with Homer Bailey and Teheran. If Homer pitched at Turner Field next season I could see him easily having a Cy Young type year. Now if I'm FW I give the Reds an offer of Wood,Bethancourt,Northcraft and low level prospect and say if you can find a better offer then so be it but the offer is there. Wood has some considerable upside but it's not Homer Bailey good and Bethancourt while a wizard behind the plate strikes me as one of those catchers who doesn't really become a good hitter until later in his career. Northcraft does have some upside as well but it's a trade I could live with. Either way FW isn't going to make a trade where he gives up a ton of our minor league talent and that's one thing I can say FW has done a pretty good job at.

I just have a feeling that Bailey may be the guy FW is targeting IF he is looking for an upper tier SP. FW will not deal with TB's GM and his absurd asking price for Price so I don't even see that being in the realm of possibility and Detroit will ask for a good bit with the season Scherzer just had as it was a really special season by Max so his value is about as high as it gets for a SP.
    Bailey is under control for 1 more year, you'd gut the farm for ONE year of Bailey?

Really?

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Heyward For This Useful Post:

AerchAngel (11-06-2013)

Where's My Cup of Coffee?
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    211 Posts
    I would definitely be interested in Bailey but no possible way do I give up Teheran for him. That's crazy.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    25 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Heyward View Post
    Bailey is under control for 1 more year, you'd gut the farm for ONE year of Bailey?

Really?
    How is that gutting the farm? Bethancourt has value but how much value does he have to us? So you want him as our back up because I don't see him beating out Gattis any time soon. Where does Northcraft fit on this team in the near future? Wood may or may not have a good career. I don't see how this is gutting the farm.. Gutting the farm would be to give up Lucas Sims,Perrazza, Bethancourt, Wood,etc for David Price who had a season as good as Teheran's first full year.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    25 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by emk418 View Post
    I would definitely be interested in Bailey but no possible way do I give up Teheran for him. That's crazy.
    What are you talking about? No one said anything about giving up Teheran for Bailey..

Voted Worst Poster
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,832 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Teheran_49 View Post
    How is that gutting the farm? Bethancourt has value but how much value does he have to us? So you want him as our back up because I don't see him beating out Gattis any time soon. Where does Northcraft fit on this team in the near future? Wood may or may not have a good career. I don't see how this is gutting the farm.. Gutting the farm would be to give up Lucas Sims,Perrazza, Bethancourt, Wood,etc for David Price who had a season as good as Teheran's first full year.
    If CB can hit better, he could very well beat out Gattis, his defense is already top 5 good, re: CB.

If he hits, he's the future C.

Wood is under control for 5-6 more years at a fairly cheap rate. Who showed a ton of promise as a rookie.

Northcraft is a backend type.

So no, i wouldnt trade that for one year of Bailey.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Heyward For This Useful Post:

AerchAngel (11-06-2013)

Creepy Lurking Stalker
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    I wouldn't trade Wood for One year of Bailey straight up.

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Retch For This Useful Post:

AerchAngel (11-06-2013), Heyward (11-05-2013)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,990 Posts
    Homer Bailey and ace don't realyl go togother. I don't see how he is an upgrade over anyone currently on our staff.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Carp For This Useful Post:

AerchAngel (11-06-2013)

Secretary of Statistics AerchAngel's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    882 Posts
    HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH

no

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH

HELLLLLLLL NO!!!!!

Rape is being kind to us.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,993 Posts
    Medlen > Bailey... Just look at their stats:

MLB career:
    Medlen 34-20, 2.95 ERA, 513 IP
    Bailey 49-45, 4.26 ERA, 852 IP

Medlen has 5 years of MLB experience while Bailey has 7... this tells me that Medlen is already at a much higher level than Bailey in less time. Bailey has been around a while and has never put it together completely. And I don't want to hear about his park being a factor... that is so overblown.

Everyone is so enamored with Bailey because he was a first round draft pick, has always been a top 50 MLB prospect, and threw a no-hitter... they don't care to actually look at the body of work a whole. That body of work, a solid decent middle of the rotation pitcher... an ace though? HUGE LOL. In no universe do I even trade CB or Wood straight up even for Bailey... If those guys are going, it better bring back a true ace... not another "guy with potential"... we have enough of those.

Just for fun, 2013:

Medlen: 15-12, 3.11 ERA, 197 IP
    Bailey: 11-12, 3.49 ERA, 209 IP

Medlen still better... even when he was "down" and Bailey was having a "career year"

Co-Owner, BravesCenter
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,446 Posts
    I agree that Bailey is no ace, per se, but I do believe he is one of those guys that is 'coming into his own,' gaining confidence, and finally learning how to pitch. Amazing that just a few seasons ago he was about to pitch in relief for Cincinnati and could have been acquired for a pittance compared to what Jocketty will likely ask for him now.

I would trade CB/Wood in a deal that would also net us Brandon Phillips.

Something like:

Uggla
    Wood
    Terdoslavich
    Gilmartin/comp.

for
    Bailey
    B. Phillips
    Cash

Maybe that's not enough. I do love our pitching prospects though.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,123 Posts
    I would do that Hawk. I like Phillips. I know he's had a couple of bad attitude issues but maybe a change of scenery would help. And he'd be comin home. That would be a trade that would help both teams.

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nsacpi View Post
    How about Wood, Bethancourt, Sims, Peraza for Price?
    Same offer I posed to the BA guys that they said likely isn't enough from Tampa's perspective. Can't say I don't disagree with them - Tampa wants MLB-ready impact players in return, and aren't likely to view Sims and Peraza as enough of an overpay to be willing to wait for.
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

Vencer a Los Doyers GovClintonTyree's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,034 Posts
    Probably a minority opinion, but I'd prefer to stick with our homegrown rotation and pay'em and keep 'em around, let 'me develop. This is an extraordinary group. There's no reason to burn money. Pay ours - pitching and position - and shore up the bench and bullpen as needed.