Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Acuna Prefers To Hit Leadoff

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Last edited by CyYoung31; 02-16-2019 at 03:09 PM.

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,353 Posts
    I have complaints that the author used four in the first paragraph. I also have complaints that the lineup would go Acuna, FF then Donaldson. We all know who hits next.
    Coppy

3. The Following User Says Thank You to bravesfanMatt For This Useful Post:

JohnAdcox (02-17-2019)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,108 Posts
    The correct answer is probably Albies platooning with Markakis or Inciarte in the leadoff spot.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,710 Posts
    I like Acuna at leadoff too. That first at bat of the game is a unique scenario in that the starter hasnt got a chance to settle in yet. Acuna seems really good at taking advantage of this. I also really like having Acuna as a looming threat as the lineup turns over. Watching the games we had baserunners all the time as the lineup turned over and it seemed like Acuna was always coming up in key spots. He might be good enough that getting that 1 more at bat from him could be the difference in the game. If we ever get a high OBP leadoff type hitter then by all means move Acuna to 2 but we dont really have that. Ideal scenario would be for Albies to start hitting like a leadoff hitter.
    "Donald Trump will serve a second term as president of the United States.

It’s over."

Little Thethe Nov 19, 2020.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to cajunrevenge For This Useful Post:

JohnAdcox (02-17-2019), Runnin (02-18-2019)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,487 Posts
    If you go Acuña/Donaldson/Freeman what are the chances they go back to back to back to leadoff a game?

I seem to remember Furcal/?/Sheffield doing that once
    Get off my lawn!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,123 Posts
    My biggest pet peeve of the offseason was we didn’t address the cleanup spot. Markakis or Flowers will be there I’m sure and that’s a huge fail.

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,837 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Hudson2 View Post
    My biggest pet peeve of the offseason was we didn’t address the cleanup spot. Markakis or Flowers will be there I’m sure and that’s a huge fail.
    Would it make you feel better to have it go Acuna/Neck/Freeman/Donaldson?

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,941 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thewupk View Post
    Would it make you feel better to have it go Acuna/Neck/Freeman/Donaldson?
    I wouldn't want Markakis batting 2nd. He'd likely be odds-on favorite to lead the league in GIDPs. I'd personally stick Albies there and have Markakis hitting 5th or 6th.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 50PoundHead For This Useful Post:

JohnAdcox (02-17-2019), jpx7 (02-17-2019)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,108 Posts
    Stats say the 3rd spot in the lineup is less important than 2, 1 and 4. If Markakis is going to hit at the top of the lineup, it should be 3.

Either way, the Braves are going to have a guy hitting in the top half of the order who doesn't belong there on a contending team, so exactly where that guy hits isn't really a big deal.

Best thing that could happen is Albies figures out how to be the 1-2 hitter he is destined to become.

13. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Enscheff For This Useful Post:

50PoundHead (02-17-2019), cajunrevenge (02-18-2019), DirkPiggler (02-16-2019), JohnAdcox (02-17-2019), jpx7 (02-17-2019)

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Ideally, Donaldson becomes a "team-first" guy and volunteers to hit behind Freeman so teams can't tip-toe around him. I get that the numbers point out that the #2 spot in the lineup is more important than it was necessarily treated in the old days, but I'd be willing to bet on Ozzie or Ender being able to make the needed adjustments to hit there and be productive doing it. While it's old-school, I still want those two guys that are capable of stealing 40+ bases in front of Freddie - with no one in their way.

While it's understandable not to approach it like in the past, I want the feeling that the top of the lineup can comfortably play postseason baseball and manufacture a run - Acuna gets on, Ozzie or Ender gets him over (even bunting when needed), and Freddie and Donaldson get him in.

I'd much rather get Acuna at the top where he's most comfortable than adjust everything to get Donaldson in the 2 hole - he's the type of leadoff presence/game changer that Trout was when he hit there for a bit, and I honestly think he scares the competition hitting there like no one has since Rickey Henderson.
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,533 Posts
    I've always thought the 5, 6 and 7 spots were the best ones for base stealers...8 is no good at least in the NL...ahead of your best power hitters is not ideal either

of course this is a secondary consideration...the main one should be hitting attributes
    "I am a victim, I will tell you. I am a victim."

"I am your retribution."

16. The Following User Says Thank You to nsacpi For This Useful Post:

JohnAdcox (02-17-2019)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,108 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nsacpi View Post
    I've always thought the 5, 6 and 7 spots were the best ones for base stealers...8 is no good at least in the NL...ahead of your best power hitters is not ideal either

of course this is a secondary consideration...the main one should be hitting attributes
    Yes, the correct answer is to put base stealers in front of singles hitters, not in front of power hitters who can drive them in from 1b.

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Enscheff For This Useful Post:

cajunrevenge (02-18-2019), JohnAdcox (02-17-2019)

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nsacpi View Post

It's simply a preference - and an old-school one. Maybe the reporters ought to go tell Acuna he should be hitting in the 6 hole since his base-stealing ability would be better utilized there.

Of course that's a stupid argument, but don't some of you understand that that's the way some of the players, Coaches, and Managers look at some of the things that are brought to them at times? Acuna wants to hit at the top because that's where he's most comfortable - while no one can speak for him, it's a pretty good bet that he doesn't give two *hits what the numbers say, it's just where he feels like he can best help the team. Whether that's true or not, you're simply making things harder when you ask someone to do something they're not sure is best.

Asking Donaldson to hit behind Freeman is the same kind of deal, and I have no problem leaving the three of them where they seem to be the most comfortable - it just doesn't do much to lengthen a lineup that's short to begin with if you wind up with second-half of 2018 Markakis, second-half of 2018 Albies, first-half of 2018 Ender, Flow/Mac, and Dansby hitting behind them when the inevitable slumps and mini-slumps come.
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

I <3 Ron Paul + gilesfan sturg33's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,758 Posts
    I have a hard time understanding how a player is better or worse based on his spot in the lineup.

Like, is Acuna a in the batter's box facing a 98 mph fastball thinking to himself, "since I'm in the lead off spot, I'll hit this damn thing"

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sturg33 View Post
    I have a hard time understanding how a player is better or worse based on his spot in the lineup.

Like, is Acuna a in the batter's box facing a 98 mph fastball thinking to himself, "since I'm in the lead off spot, I'll hit this damn thing"
    Not sure that many here can legitimately answer that question since they haven't had a bat in their hands facing one - kinda just one of those things you have to take at face value. If that's where they tell you they're most comfortable, should we assume they have no reason for feeling that way and they're lying?

I <3 Ron Paul + gilesfan sturg33's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,758 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by clvclv View Post
    Not sure that many here can legitimately answer that question since they haven't had a bat in their hands facing one - kinda just one of those things you have to take at face value. If that's where they tell you they're most comfortable, should we assume they have no reason for feeling that way and they're lying?
    But when you're in the batter's box, the context of what spot of the lineup you're in is completely invisible.

If you have a man on second with 1 out, what is the difference of whether you're in the leadoff spot or the cleanup spot?

The Braves should optimize the lineup in which the most runs are expected to score.

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sturg33 View Post
    But when you're in the batter's box, the context of what spot of the lineup you're in is completely invisible.

If you have a man on second with 1 out, what is the difference of whether you're in the leadoff spot or the cleanup spot?

The Braves should optimize the lineup in which the most runs are expected to score.

As much as it pains many to hear it, it just doesn't work that way - these guys aren't robots (or computers). When they look out there, they don't see a RHP or LHP on the mound - they realize that's deGrom or Kershaw. Their mind doesn't suddenly flash their splits.

You really don't think the thought that "Markakis and Flowers are hitting behind me, so if I don't get that guy in right here, we're screwed" popped into Freddie's mind during the second half more than a couple times last season?

Makes it a little tougher to get to that 98 MPH heater - you squeeze the bat a little tighter, try to get your swing started a little earlier, etc.. Comfort-level with the things surrounding you can certainly get in the way at times.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,108 Posts
    Baseball players are not robots and they are not all rational thinkers. The most successful managers find a way to explain moves in ways players will accept them.

It’s Snit’s job to help Acuna understand and accept why the team is better off with him in a run producing role.

25. The Following User Says Thank You to Enscheff For This Useful Post:

cajunrevenge (02-18-2019)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,708 Posts
    Sounds to me like Snitker wants to bat Acuna 4th. I doubt it will take much explaining from Snitker for Acuna to accept it.
    thank you weso1!

Voted Worst Poster
    '13, '14, '15 (Co-Winner)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,831 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
    Baseball players are not robots and they are not all rational thinkers. The most successful managers find a way to explain moves in ways players will accept them.

It’s Snit’s job to help Acuna understand and accept why the team is better off with him in a run producing role.
    I'd agree with you normally but "right now", we dont have anyone who can put him out of leadoff unless you want to go say Ender/Acuna/FF/JD in the first 4 spots.