Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Who is your ONE player that needs a great year in 2019?

Secretary of Statistics AerchAngel's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    882 Posts
    Allard, so I can save face.

Sincerely Thethe

sorry could not resist as he go missing in action for many months I have to call him out.

I would say McCann is going to have a huge year.

Hysterical Girlfriend
    That Storms Out and
    Returns the Next Day
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    451 Posts
    Camargo. I hope his new utility role doesn't hurt his career. Arguably my favorite player on the team.

High School Draftee
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts
    If I can only pick one player it's Sean Newcomb. Between him and Teheran, if they both are on one game and off the next and you never know what your going to get from them both, it's going to be a bad year. We need one of them to step up and be a tor pitcher and I think Newcomb is most likely between the two to be able to do that. If I could pick a pitcher and a position player the position player would be Inciarte. I think we really need him to step up and lead off to make the lineup longer.

Arbitration Eligible
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    773 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mossy View Post
    Camargo. I hope his new utility role doesn't hurt his career. Arguably my favorite player on the team.
    If Camargo can maintain an ~.800 OPS while serving in a utility role and getting ~400 at bats this year, then I feel pretty good about our offense. He did it last year, but I'm VERY skeptical of him keeping up numbers that good, at least against righties.

Arbitration Eligible
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    773 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Lenny View Post
    If I can only pick one player it's Sean Newcomb. Between him and Teheran, if they both are on one game and off the next and you never know what your going to get from them both, it's going to be a bad year. We need one of them to step up and be a tor pitcher and I think Newcomb is most likely between the two to be able to do that. If I could pick a pitcher and a position player the position player would be Inciarte. I think we really need him to step up and lead off to make the lineup longer.
    See I think the calculus in a question like this is to find the player or players who are the least proven, but with the highest upside. A guy like Inciarte isn't going to give you a 5 WAR season. He is what he is: a solid 3 win CF who relies on great defense. His value has been remarkably consistent over the years and I think we can feel comfortable in him doing the same thing this year. I'd also take Newcomb out. He still has a lot of questions to answer about his game, but I think we can safely assume his floor is around a #4 starter.

I'd also take out Freeman, Acuna, Markakis, Flowers, McCann, Donaldson (tentative on health), Teheran, Gausman, Folty, and the bullpen. There are questions surrounding some of those guys, but most of them have established some sort of value window i.e. the best we could expect vs. the worst.

That leaves guys like Ozzie, Dansby, Camargo, Riley, Touki, Soroka, Wright, Wilson, Anderson, and Gohara. That is the group that I'd be inclined to pick from because so much uncertainty surrounds them. They all have the upside to be stars, but still a generally uncertain floor with maybe the exception of Ozzie.

Now that I think about it, the correct answer to this question may be Allard. If I had a magic wand and could turn one player into a star, I think he'd be the best choice. He's the least likely of all our top prospects to produce anything notable on their own so if I could give him some magic I'd feel comfortable allowing the rest of our guys to develop and provide value on their own.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,898 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BeanieAntics View Post
    See I think the calculus in a question like this is to find the player or players who are the least proven, but with the highest upside. A guy like Inciarte isn't going to give you a 5 WAR season. He is what he is: a solid 3 win CF who relies on great defense. His value has been remarkably consistent over the years and I think we can feel comfortable in him doing the same thing this year. I'd also take Newcomb out. He still has a lot of questions to answer about his game, but I think we can safely assume his floor is around a #4 starter.

I'd also take out Freeman, Acuna, Markakis, Flowers, McCann, Donaldson (tentative on health), Teheran, Gausman, Folty, and the bullpen. There are questions surrounding some of those guys, but most of them have established some sort of value window i.e. the best we could expect vs. the worst.

That leaves guys like Ozzie, Dansby, Camargo, Riley, Touki, Soroka, Wright, Wilson, Anderson, and Gohara. That is the group that I'd be inclined to pick from because so much uncertainty surrounds them. They all have the upside to be stars, but still a generally uncertain floor with maybe the exception of Ozzie.

Now that I think about it, the correct answer to this question may be Allard. If I had a magic wand and could turn one player into a star, I think he'd be the best choice. He's the least likely of all our top prospects to produce anything notable on their own so if I could give him some magic I'd feel comfortable allowing the rest of our guys to develop and provide value on their own.
    Get the logic here but I also think some consideration needs to be given to whether that player will have the opportunity to even have a great year and while I wish the best for Allard I think he is currently at best the 4th or 5th option for the 5th spot and would require some significant injuries/poor performance to get an opportunity. If you take it as a given that the top 4 is Folty/Gausman/Newk/Teheran (Not a huge leap here) then you have Touissant/Fried/Gohara/Soroka/Wright/Wilson/Allard as those next options. Of course me being a super Fried fan I think he is first in line. There are just too many bodies for Allard to jump to where he even gets his chance so he would be eliminated in my mind. I kind of mess around with it but I'm kind of serious. Fried is legit and more so than my belief I think the Braves believe that and he will be given first crack. Therefore, as the 'first' fifth starter, if he take the bull by the horns and absolutely lights it up then the Braves all of a sudden have one of the more productive rotations in baseball.

Edit: Yikes - Forgot Touki. Makes it even more challenging for Allard to be that guy and now my guy Fried.
    Last edited by thethe; 02-27-2019 at 07:39 PM.
    Natural Immunity Croc

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,974 Posts
    Duvall. If he gets back on track and has a career year, we could have a 4+ WAR LF masher.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Carp For This Useful Post:

Braves1976 (03-03-2019)

Outskirts Of Mobile, Alabama. Roll Tide!!!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,774 Posts
    I’m going with Swanson as well
    Chopping With The Braves And Rolling With The Tide

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,837 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CrimsonCowboy View Post
    I’m going with Swanson as well
    Is it asking to much for him to just be a league average hitter?

Arbitration Eligible
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    773 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thewupk View Post
    Is it asking to much for him to just be a league average hitter?
    Its so easy to dream on Swanson. With his defense and baserunning, I always find myself dreaming that he'll figure it out and be an .800 OPS hitter. Super unlikely, but geez he'd be so valuable.

Anytime Now Frankie...
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    148 Posts
    Alllbeeez

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,837 Posts
    Not a player. We need our medical staff to step it up.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to thewupk For This Useful Post:

mossy (03-02-2019)

NL Rookie of the Year Acuña’s Bat Flip's Avatar
    Gaffney, South Carolina (Home of the Big Butt "Peach" on I-85)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    280 Posts
    Ozzie for a full season.
    FKA Ozzie's Chainz

Quote Originally Posted by thethe View Post
    Got to take the L sometimes.

I've been used to it over the years.
    Braves / Panthers / Lakers / Hornets / Clemson / Duke Basketball

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,709 Posts
    Freeman. We need him to have a monster year and stay healthy. This would be a good time for a Chipper type career year .330 batting average with 45 homers.
    "Donald Trump will serve a second term as president of the United States.

It’s over."

Little Thethe Nov 19, 2020.

Secretary of Statistics AerchAngel's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    882 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cajunrevenge View Post
    Freeman. We need him to have a monster year and stay healthy. This would be a good time for a Chipper type career year .330 batting average with 45 homers.
    His swinging approach need to be altered for that and he will strike out a lot if he do.

30 homers with a +.300 average, I am cool with which is where he is for his career. Plus he has some backup and that is nice.

not saying you are wrong, but there is some dangers we must be aware of he has this approach. I respect your post in its entirety.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,040 Posts
    JD. We need him to be a monster. With improved competition and him being our one offseason upgrade, we gotta have him come through.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,108 Posts
    Right now I’d settle for JD getting a single PA.