Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Fredi nominated for Manager of the Year Finalist

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,064 Posts
    Avilan had an amazing year, a career type year in only his 2nd season. With O'Flaherty and Venters going down we needed him to step up big time and he did. One of the real unsung heroes of the season.

He had a ton of appearances, more than double his previous high, but only pitched 65 innings. Originally a starter, he's pitched as many as 106 innings in a year.

Connoisseur of Minors zitothebrave's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,469 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Runnin View Post
    Avilan had an amazing year, a career type year in only his 2nd season. With O'Flaherty and Venters going down we needed him to step up big time and he did. One of the real unsung heroes of the season.

He had a ton of appearances, more than double his previous high, but only pitched 65 innings. Originally a starter, he's pitched as many as 106 innings in a year.
    There's a difference between innings as a starter and a reliever. And the appearances are more important thaninnings for a reliever. It's more or less accepted truth that a reliever typically expends more energy/strain on their arm warming up than pitching as a 1 inning or less man. Avilan's issue was he was way over used because of injuries to Walden, EOF and Venters. Fredi needs someone to be his setup mule and after being a LOOGy most of the year that job fell to avilan.
    Stockholm, more densely populated than NYC - sturg

Making Atlanta Great Again!
    #MAGA!

Promises MADE, Promises KEPT!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,761 Posts
    Sheesh.

I thought I already had a Fredi Rant thread a few weeks ago.
    Forever Fredi

Gwinnett Bound
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    80 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ChapelHillMatt View Post
    Again why not put the blame where it belongs and that's at Carpenter's door step? I've yet to see anyone get on his case and accuse him of ruining our season. It's been all about Fredi for not using Kimbrel. Carpenter had been very successful as a setup man, why not trust him to do his job? What's the big deal? It's not like we had someone out there with a 5 ERA trying to bridge the gap. We had a very good pen and Fredi trusted it.
    Matt, I love you to death but you are giving Fredi way to much credit. I know you don't like putting any blame on him. However it is probably some where in between with him. He is a good manager but not a great manager. Kinda like I have said for 4 years about Murray at UGA. His a good QB that has set all kinds of records but he does not have that "IT" factor to win a National . Title. I do not think Fredi is as good as you think he is and not as bad as some on here think he is. I would love to get a guy in here that can win it all but that isn't going to happen. We are stuck with a manager that manages in the post season like he does in July. No sense of urgency, even in an elimination game and that is why he will never be that great manager. That is my beef with him.

Approaching Buddy Hernandez Territory ChapelHillMatt's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    187 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jason27nc View Post
    Matt, I love you to death but you are giving Fredi way to much credit. I know you don't like putting any blame on him. However it is probably some where in between with him. He is a good manager but not a great manager. Kinda like I have said for 4 years about Murray at UGA. His a good QB that has set all kinds of records but he does not have that "IT" factor to win a National . Title. I do not think Fredi is as good as you think he is and not as bad as some on here think he is. I would love to get a guy in here that can win it all but that isn't going to happen. We are stuck with a manager that manages in the post season like he does in July. No sense of urgency, even in an elimination game and that is why he will never be that great manager. That is my beef with him.
    Then Bobby Cox wasn't a great manager because he managed the exact same way. I don't think Fredi is a great manager but I do think he's a good one, if he wasn't then he wouldn't be successful. Bad managers don't win as much as he does, especially with a limited payroll.
    Last edited by ChapelHillMatt; 11-12-2013 at 03:20 PM.

I <3 Ron Paul + gilesfan sturg33's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,787 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ChapelHillMatt View Post
    Then Bobby Cox wasn't a great manager because he managed the exact same way. I don't think Fredi is a great manager but I do think he's a good one, if he wasn't then he wouldn't be successful. Bad managers don't win as much as he does, especially with a limited payroll.
    You do with the talent he was given. We won 96 in spite of

7. The Following User Says Thank You to sturg33 For This Useful Post:

Dalyn (11-12-2013)

Making Atlanta Great Again!
    #MAGA!

Promises MADE, Promises KEPT!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,761 Posts
    Talent doesn't guarantee anything. All the talent we had during the streak didn't produce nothing more than 1 WS.

Mike Scioscia has had talent for years, arguably more talent than when he won it all and he's still managing.

Tigers were more talented than BoSox and look what happened there.
    Forever Fredi

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,408 Posts

Vencer a Los Doyers GovClintonTyree's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,033 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dalyn View Post
    Oh, good God.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,408 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by GovClintonTyree View Post
    Oh, good God.

Approaching Buddy Hernandez Territory ChapelHillMatt's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    187 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by KeithLockhart View Post
    Talent doesn't guarantee anything. All the talent we had during the streak didn't produce nothing more than 1 WS.

Mike Scioscia has had talent for years, arguably more talent than when he won it all and he's still managing.

Tigers were more talented than BoSox and look what happened there.
    I don't even think we were that talented. We only had two players hit over 300, nobody with 30 or more homers, and no starter with an ERA under 3. Kimbrel had the most impressive year of anyone on our roster. We suffered through under performances from key players and lots of injuries. This idea that we won in spite of anyone is pure bunk! This was a total team effort. Nobody predicted us to win the division this year, this was a team that overachieved.