Thread: MLB experimenting with huge new rule changes

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,108 Posts

MLB experimenting with huge new rule changes

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2019/...ic-league.html

These are the most dramatic rule changes I've ever seen seriously tested in my lifetime, specifically:

- Umpires using Trackman to help call balls and strikes
    - 2 infielders on each side of 2nd base
    - Mound moved back 2'

While I like the introduction of robo-ump, I think the restriction on defensive alignment is pointless.

Moving the mound back 2' seems crazy to me, and it will be fascinating to see what effects this has on batters and pitchers.

A baseball takes ~400 ms to reach home plate. It physically takes ~200 ms for the electrical impulses between a human eye, brain and muscles to fire. A swing takes ~100ms to happen. That leaves ~100 ms for the batter to make a decision.

Moving the mound back 2' will allow something like ~15 ms for the hitter to decide to swing, and/or allow guys with slower swings to catch up to fastballs.

This one change could turn hundreds of non-prospects into prospects, so it would be in teams' best interests to find a way to identify guys that would benefit from this potential rule change.
    Last edited by Enscheff; 03-08-2019 at 02:23 PM.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,360 Posts
    i think getting rid of the shift is dumb and shouldn't happen. but i'm not opposed to baseball trying this stuff out in lower leagues. why not?
    "Well, you’ll learn soon enough that this was a massive red wave landslide." - thethe on the 2020 election that trump lost bigly

“I can’t fix my life, but I can fix the world.” - sturg

Approaching Buddy Hernandez Territory
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    154 Posts
    Moving the mound back 2' is pretty ridiculous

4. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Orphan Black For This Useful Post:

AerchAngel (03-08-2019), Braves1976 (03-08-2019), DirkPiggler (03-08-2019), Prikichi (03-11-2019)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,123 Posts
    The mound rule is the dumbest thing I’ve ever heard. So a 95 mph fastball will be like a 91 mph fastball. A soft tosser will be a thing of the past and it’ll put more stress on a pitchers arm. Beyond stupid.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,360 Posts
    yeah, i don't think baseball needs more offense.
    "Well, you’ll learn soon enough that this was a massive red wave landslide." - thethe on the 2020 election that trump lost bigly

“I can’t fix my life, but I can fix the world.” - sturg

Arbitration Eligible
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    773 Posts
    Moving the mound back two feet would be insane. The game would probably end up looking entirely different than it does today. I wonder how much run production would go up under such circumstances? A full run per game on average?

I also wonder if it would have any effect on the health of pitchers. I don't know how much extra stress that may put on their arm over the course of a full season or career.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,108 Posts
    The issue with baseball is the time lag between interesting events. In football the lag is acceptable because enough happens during each play that talented analysts can point out something interesting that happened somewhere on the previous play.

If a pitcher throws a ball, then waits 30 seconds to throw another, there’s nothing to look at during the lag in action.

Any change that doesn’t address the pace of play is pointless.

Spring Training Invitee
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    43 Posts
    I really don’t want to see the mound moved. I think that’s akin to raising the hoop in basketball. Dumb

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,533 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
    The issue with baseball is the time lag between interesting events. In football the lag is acceptable because enough happens during each play that talented analysts can point out something interesting that happened somewhere on the previous play.

If a pitcher throws a ball, then waits 30 seconds to throw another, there’s nothing to look at during the lag in action.

Any change that doesn’t address the pace of play is pointless.
    I'm surprised they aren't experimenting with number of pickoff throws between pitches. If the limit was set at 3, I think you'd see mostly just one try. We would have more stolen base attempts, which is one of the more exciting parts of the game.
    "I am a victim, I will tell you. I am a victim."

"I am your retribution."

11. The Following User Says Thank You to nsacpi For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (03-08-2019)

Secretary of Statistics AerchAngel's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    882 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 4maddux_cy's View Post
    I really don’t want to see the mound moved. I think that’s akin to raising the hoop in basketball. Dumb
    Like 11 feet.

DUMB

Mr. Free Trade
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    514 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
    https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2019/...ic-league.html

These are the most dramatic rule changes I've ever seen seriously tested in my lifetime, specifically:

- Umpires using Trackman to help call balls and strikes
    - 2 infielders on each side of 2nd base
    - Mound moved back 2'

While I like the introduction of robo-ump, I think the restriction on defensive alignment is pointless.

Moving the mound back 2' seems crazy to me, and it will be fascinating to see what effects this has on batters and pitchers.

A baseball takes ~400 ms to reach home plate. It physically takes ~200 ms for the electrical impulses between a human eye, brain and muscles to fire. A swing takes ~100ms to happen. That leaves ~100 ms for the batter to make a decision.

Moving the mound back 2' will allow something like ~15 ms for the hitter to decide to swing, and/or allow guys with slower swings to catch up to fastballs.

This one change could turn hundreds of non-prospects into prospects, so it would be in teams' best interests to find a way to identify guys that would benefit from this potential rule change.
    Allard's value through the roof!

Mr. Free Trade
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    514 Posts
    They should have a trampoline instead of a pitching mound. All the bats should be "Albert Belle memorial specials" that explode releasing 10's of little balls flying through the air when a hitter connects. Catchers should have to do the splits when they catch a pop up and 3B should be required to come out of the crowd with a hot dog in their mouth when they catch a foul in the crowd down the 3rd base line. Every team should have a DH each game, but the DH must be a midget. It should be mandatory that each manager has to throw a Lou Pinella fit at a random point in the game TBD by a an algorithm that uses concession and souvenir purchases. If the freeze loses, a live gorilla gets released into the visitors bullpen. In Washington, the 7th inning race should be between want to be presidents instead of historical ones.

Arbitration Eligible
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    773 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nsacpi View Post
    I'm surprised they aren't experimenting with number of pickoff throws between pitches. If the limit was set at 3, I think you'd see mostly just one try. We would have more stolen base attempts, which is one of the more exciting parts of the game.
    That.... might actually be a good idea. I've never thought of something like that.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,898 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BeanieAntics View Post
    That.... might actually be a good idea. I've never thought of something like that.
    Seconded

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,710 Posts
    All for a real ball's and strikes system instead of the current system where umps can change their call because they got sand in their vagina. That kind of **** should be an instant ban for life from baseball.
    "Donald Trump will serve a second term as president of the United States.

It’s over."

Little Thethe Nov 19, 2020.

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to cajunrevenge For This Useful Post:

AerchAngel (03-09-2019), DirkPiggler (03-09-2019)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    882 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cajunrevenge View Post
    All for a real ball's and strikes system instead of the current system where umps can change their call because they got sand in their vagina. That kind of **** should be an instant ban for life from baseball.
    RIP Eric Gregg, but if we had this system, well you know the rest of the story. Your plate was six foot wide for the Fish while ours was 4 inches.

It was a travesty, absolute travesty. I think one strikeout call, the pitch was a good 18 inches outside and low.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to AerchAngel For This Useful Post:

DirkPiggler (03-09-2019)

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,941 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BeanieAntics View Post
    Moving the mound back two feet would be insane. The game would probably end up looking entirely different than it does today. I wonder how much run production would go up under such circumstances? A full run per game on average?

I also wonder if it would have any effect on the health of pitchers. I don't know how much extra stress that may put on their arm over the course of a full season or career.
    For this to work (and even if applicable it's a bad idea), the mound would have to be moved starting with high school baseball. The pool of pitching prospects would likely be thinned out with the change.

They lowered the mound in 1969 when hitters needed a boost. I somehow don't think hitters need any more boosting, so just leave things where they are.

I don't know about re-introducing something like Questec to help with balls and strikes. I think if umpires ever called the high strike, it would be a big plus to pitchers, but the high strike is rarely called with any consistency. I don't mind (and Tom Glavine probably doesn't mind either) giving the umps a little leeway as long as things stay within reasonable boundaries, but performances like Eric Gregg's are clearly an argument for machine-called balls and strikes. It's too bad it has to come to this.

Like others have said, limit the number of pick-off attempts. Stolen base attempts are exciting.

22. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 50PoundHead For This Useful Post:

AerchAngel (03-09-2019), jpx7 (03-09-2019)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    882 Posts
    I don't like to talk about dead men and he EG rest in piece, but I think he had money on the game, Pete Rose style.

Sorry, I don't know that is underhanded, we had absolutely no chance that game, getting squeezed like an orange while the other team was jack fruit or a watermelon in comparison.

Yes.....I am still pissed about that game. I can't get it out of my head.

Boras' Client
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    399 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nsacpi View Post
    Add to that the 3" bigger bags at all bases would help to increase SB attempts.

10 yr, $185 million Extension
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    766 Posts
    I think the biggest issue is not pace of play but lack of balls in play. Too many walks and ks.

I hate the mound change. I’d rather lower it than move it back.

I don’t like the shift rules. If I had to I’d say you have to start on the dirt.

Bags bigger I guess is for safety? I’d be up for making first bigger to make it safer around that bag.

I’d be up for expanding rosters but only 25 active per day.

I want something to keep Kapler from changing pitchers every batter. That is boring.

I’d like to see less time between innings and use more in game advertising like soccer.