Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,128 Posts

MLB experimenting with huge new rule changes

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2019/...ic-league.html

These are the most dramatic rule changes I've ever seen seriously tested in my lifetime, specifically:

- Umpires using Trackman to help call balls and strikes
    - 2 infielders on each side of 2nd base
    - Mound moved back 2'

While I like the introduction of robo-ump, I think the restriction on defensive alignment is pointless.

Moving the mound back 2' seems crazy to me, and it will be fascinating to see what effects this has on batters and pitchers.

A baseball takes ~400 ms to reach home plate. It physically takes ~200 ms for the electrical impulses between a human eye, brain and muscles to fire. A swing takes ~100ms to happen. That leaves ~100 ms for the batter to make a decision.

Moving the mound back 2' will allow something like ~15 ms for the hitter to decide to swing, and/or allow guys with slower swings to catch up to fastballs.

This one change could turn hundreds of non-prospects into prospects, so it would be in teams' best interests to find a way to identify guys that would benefit from this potential rule change.
    Last edited by Enscheff; 03-08-2019 at 02:23 PM.