Quote Originally Posted by Julio3000 View Post
Yeah, it’s pointing out plenty of divisions...most notably between people who wink at and make excuses for the cultural forces that radicalize people like this, and people who see an unbroken line between Charlottesville and Pittsburgh and Quebec City and Charleston and Christchurch, and connect it to voices that have been regrettably mainstreamed.

Seriously, if you’re willing to say, as I’m certain you are, that this was an unspeakably horrific act, why is it that you’re so eager to ascribe “creating division” as a motive, rather than the obvious first-order motive. Any overtly political or ideological act, violent or not, “creates division.” Something like this kinda demands a greater reckoning. Consistent in the response to this is an unwillingness to participate in that reckoning.

I’m reminded of the old coal-miners’ union anthem “Which Side Are You On?” If you’re “well, actually”-ing this, I’d respectfully submit that you’re picking the wrong side.

Why can't we be on the side of "this guy is a racist asshole who murdered a **** ton of people and is ****ing lunatic" ??

Instead, we have to say "oh, it's the whites that are propagating this behavior" and we have to ambush Chelsea Clinton and blame her for having the audacity to call an anti-semite an anti-semite

I think it's you who tries to draw lines... which coincidentally never get drawn when a congressional baseball field is shot up.

But yeah, I'm comfortable saying the guy is helping the divide