Page 106 of 146 FirstFirst ... 65696104105106107108116 ... LastLast
Results 2,101 to 2,120 of 2907

Thread: Around The Majors 2019

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,739 Posts
    Well Wright is one of our untouchables(fml). The Astros didnt include one of their elite prospects. Wright would have been one of if not the top prospect traded at the deadline. The top prospect the Astros gave up is currently recovering from TJ surgery. The worst prospect in the deal was about as valuable as Demeritte. I am confident the DBacks would have preferred better prospect who is as close to MLB ready as a prospect can get without currently being the majors.
    "Donald Trump will serve a second term as president of the United States.

It’s over."

Little Thethe Nov 19, 2020.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    527 Posts
    Don't look now but the Mets have won 7 in a row. They are still playoff longshots, but this is such a Mets thing to do. Don't trade their rental players, screw up their draft position, and inevitably miss the playoffs and hurt themselves for the future.

Let's just hope they stick it to the Nats for us next week

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,863 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cajunrevenge View Post
    Well Wright is one of our untouchables(fml). The Astros didnt include one of their elite prospects. Wright would have been one of if not the top prospect traded at the deadline. The top prospect the Astros gave up is currently recovering from TJ surgery. The worst prospect in the deal was about as valuable as Demeritte. I am confident the DBacks would have preferred better prospect who is as close to MLB ready as a prospect can get without currently being the majors.
    I think it's more about having to still pay Greinke 54 million than the prospects given up in this case.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,539 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by NYCBrave View Post
    Don't look now but the Mets have won 7 in a row. They are still playoff longshots, but this is such a Mets thing to do. Don't trade their rental players, screw up their draft position, and inevitably miss the playoffs and hurt themselves for the future.

Let's just hope they stick it to the Nats for us next week
    It's been fun listening to the Mets fans on WFAN. They are fired up.
    "I am a victim, I will tell you. I am a victim."

"I am your retribution."

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,151 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thewupk View Post
    I think it's more about having to still pay Greinke 54 million than the prospects given up in this case.

I understand the applause the Astros have gotten, but I'm not sure it was ultimately a great decision to commit that much money and prospect capital into a late career pitcher who is ultimately going to be asked to be their third starter.

It increases their chances of winning the WS, but contrary to a couple of columns, it certainly did not win it for them. It looks a bit like something that in retrospect might end up going on a list of factors that ends their run.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,360 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Southcack77 View Post
    I understand the applause the Astros have gotten, but I'm not sure it was ultimately a great decision to commit that much money and prospect capital into a late career pitcher who is ultimately going to be asked to be their third starter.

It increases their chances of winning the WS, but contrary to a couple of columns, it certainly did not win it for them. It looks a bit like something that in retrospect might end up going on a list of factors that ends their run.
    isn't it $54M over 3 years?
    i'm also not very impressed with any of the guys given up..i'm surprised FG has JB and Martin as 50s.
    "Well, you’ll learn soon enough that this was a massive red wave landslide." - thethe on the 2020 election that trump lost bigly

“I can’t fix my life, but I can fix the world.” - sturg

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    527 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nsacpi View Post
    It's been fun listening to the Mets fans on WFAN. They are fired up.
    I know alot of Mets fans here in NY and it's always the same reaction from them. Nervous excitement while cringing in anticipation of the next train wreck to follow.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,151 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Super View Post
    isn't it $54M over 3 years?
    i'm also not very impressed with any of the guys given up..i'm surprised FG has JB and Martin as 50s.
    It's probably about 21m for 2020 and 2021.

They've got about 55m invested in two guys who'll be in their late 30s though just on 2 years deals. It's probably ok though. Just a risk.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Southcack77 For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (08-03-2019)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,539 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by NYCBrave View Post
    I know alot of Mets fans here in NY and it's always the same reaction from them. Nervous excitement while cringing in anticipation of the next train wreck to follow.
    It's not the most sophisticated fan base. But I like listening to Steve Somers. He's been pretty tough on Brodie.
    "I am a victim, I will tell you. I am a victim."

"I am your retribution."

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,291 Posts
    It increases their chances of winning the WS.
    Obvious as it may be, this is why they did it and should have done it. While their window certainly isn’t closing, they are certainly at their apex. Neither the money or prospect cost was necessarily heavy.

Does this same trade make sense for a team like the Braves? Possibly, since we are true WS contenders. But I think AA should consider concentrating those type of resources to a more controllable young ace.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,151 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by chop2chip View Post
    Obvious as it may be, this is why they did it and should have done it. While their window certainly isn’t closing, they are certainly at their apex. Neither the money or prospect cost was necessarily heavy.

Does this same trade make sense for a team like the Braves? Possibly, since we are true WS contenders. But I think AA should consider concentrating those type of resources to a more controllable young ace.

I think the Astros tried on everyone else and felt like they were forced to go to the fall back on Greinke.

I understand why they did it. I just wonder if they've increased their risk of the window closing to a greater degree than they've actually increased their chances of winning the WS. Which perhaps is still a good thing for a team in their position. Signing Greinke to a 2/42 deal instead of Cole to 7/240 might well be the smarter play, but Cole probably is a potentially longer anchor. I guess they can always go and sign or trade for the next one, but maybe they're running out of gas as contenders as they age and would be better off retooling in two years.

Probably shouldn't have gone down the road as I'm not an Astros fan, and not really up to date on their pending arbs and all that, and not particularly inclined to get up to speed on it. Just an idle thought.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    Saw on Mlbtraderumors that Rizzo said the luxury tax was a deterrent to the Nats efforts at the deadline, and I'd probably add the lack of ammunition to trade for legit RP options...

If they can't resign Rendon, that window may be brief.
    Ivermectin Man

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,705 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Tapate50 View Post
    Saw on Mlbtraderumors that Rizzo said the luxury tax was a deterrent to the Nats efforts at the deadline, and I'd probably add the lack of ammunition to trade for legit RP options...

If they can't resign Rendon, that window may be brief.
    Do the Phillies get even more jealous and sign rendon to a mega contract too?

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,360 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by msstate7 View Post
    Do the Phillies get even more jealous and sign rendon to a mega contract too?
    hopefully. and it STILL won't solve their underlying issues.
    "Well, you’ll learn soon enough that this was a massive red wave landslide." - thethe on the 2020 election that trump lost bigly

“I can’t fix my life, but I can fix the world.” - sturg

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,370 Posts
    Maybe the faillies should scout fan pitch cages
    Coppy

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,135 Posts

This is the type of move that contributes to closing a window early, but I think the Astros walked the line here right on the very edge.

They can handle $53M over 3 years a little easier than the Braves can, and they didn't give up any of their truly elite prospects. It was certainly a win now move, but it wasn't like the Cubs dumping assets into Chapman, Quintana and Lester.

The Brave package required to beat the Astros offer would have hurt, and it would have saddled the Braves with an old pitcher for a long time. Yes, Greinke is aging well, but it will be very interesting to see how the very tail end of that deal works out.

I think it was a very solid deal overall for both sides considering where each team is in their contention cycle.
    Last edited by Enscheff; 08-02-2019 at 11:30 AM.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,135 Posts
    Dodgers are about to debut Dustin May, a guy with a mid-90s sinker and a breaking ball with a spin rate of 3000 RPM. I'm not sure how the Dodgers continue to churn out impact player after impact player, but I hope AA snuck a look at the secret sauce before he left.

I don't think it's a coincidence that 4 of the 8 MiLB pitchers with 3000+ RPM spin rates on their breaking balls are owned by the Astros and Dodgers...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
    Dodgers are about to debut Dustin May, a guy with a mid-90s sinker and a breaking ball with a spin rate of 3000 RPM. I'm not sure how the Dodgers continue to churn out impact player after impact player, but I hope AA snuck a look at the secret sauce before he left.

I don't think it's a coincidence that 4 of the 8 MiLB pitchers with 3000+ RPM spin rates on their breaking balls are owned by the Astros and Dodgers...
    Vaseline and cocaine is my guess.
    Ivermectin Man

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,494 Posts
    Angels DFAed Jonathan Lucroy. If he is unclaimed and becomes a free agent I wouldn’t mind bringing him in as a 3rd catcher
    Get off my lawn!

21. The Following User Says Thank You to bravesfanforlife88 For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (08-02-2019)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,135 Posts
    This guy gets it...

https://tht.fangraphs.com/theres-not...uction-values/

If MLB wants new fans, they will have to cater to younger people.

Having announcers that bemoan how the game is played is a terrible way to sell a product.

More Madden talking excitedly about breaking down a play, less Joe Simpson whining about the fact nobody bunts anymore.

23. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Enscheff For This Useful Post:

cajunrevenge (08-02-2019), jpx7 (08-02-2019)