User Tag List

Page 2 of 92 FirstFirst 12341252 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 1833

Thread: Around The Majors 2019

  1. #21
    Arbitration Eligible
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    3,150
    Thanks
    641
    Thanked 567 Times in 405 Posts
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Individual-1 View Post
    Would have to think either AA waits 2 weeks into the season to see where we are, or after draft if long enough.
    Only down side to that is another team could have an injury that forces them to overpay CK. I don’t see him lasting till the draft at all.

  2. #22
    It's OVER 5,000! UNCBlue012's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Greensboro, North Carolina
    Posts
    12,610
    Thanks
    3,383
    Thanked 1,452 Times in 1,050 Posts
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hudson2 View Post
    Only down side to that is another team could have an injury that forces them to overpay CK. I don’t see him lasting till the draft at all.
    Agreed. Unless CK's asking numbers are just astronomical, I'd go ahead and bite. This team desperate needs someone like him. Viz-Minter-Kimbrel is a dirty 7-8-9.
    "Can a man still be brave if he is afraid? That is the only time a man can be brave." - G.R.R.M (Game of Thrones)

    "So we beat on, boats against the current, borne back ceaselessly into the past." - F. Scott Fitzgerald (G. Gatsby)

  3. #23
    It's OVER 5,000! Tapate50's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    10,293
    Thanks
    4,696
    Thanked 2,777 Times in 1,736 Posts
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Individual-1 View Post
    Would have to think either AA waits 2 weeks into the season to see where we are, or after draft if long enough.
    Or just draft and place Joey Devine in the closers role a month later.
    "No thanks, I'd rather sit in the balcony" - Abe Lincoln

  4. The Following User Says Thank You to Tapate50 For This Useful Post:

    cajunrevenge (03-27-2019)

  5. #24
    Danville Rookie tululush's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    339
    Thanks
    9
    Thanked 64 Times in 40 Posts
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bravesfanMatt View Post
    So I guess we are going to have a 3 million dollar minor leaguer who canít hit and severs no purpose. Nice plan.

    Oh and our best chance to rest our two LHH out fiielderd is with two infielders who hardly played outfield or another non lefty hitting old dude. Great plan.
    When is the deadline, today or tomorrow? And what time? Itís bordering on nonsensical a this point. Everything AA is doing literally makes no sense. From cutting certain players to save money (Freeman), but keeping certain players in the minors and costing us 3 million (Duvall), to not making any sense in the outfield (Joyce) and possibly playing someone who has zero experience there (Camargo), to not signing any pitching help when we have way too many injuries to start the season. AA has made zero sense this offseason. Theyíve done the opposite of what theyíve said, and said the opposite of what theyíve done. Sigh.

  6. The Following User Says Thank You to tululush For This Useful Post:

    gcbraves (03-27-2019)

  7. #25
    It's OVER 5,000! Tapate50's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    10,293
    Thanks
    4,696
    Thanked 2,777 Times in 1,736 Posts
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tululush View Post
    When is the deadline, today or tomorrow? And what time? It’s bordering on nonsensical a this point. Everything AA is doing literally makes no sense. From cutting certain players to save money (Freeman), but keeping certain players in the minors and costing us 3 million (Duvall), to not making any sense in the outfield (Joyce) and possibly playing someone who has zero experience there (Camargo), to not signing any pitching help when we have way too many injuries to start the season. AA has made zero sense this offseason. They’ve done the opposite of what they’ve said, and said the opposite of what they’ve done. Sigh.
    Let it all out big fella.
    "No thanks, I'd rather sit in the balcony" - Abe Lincoln

  8. The Following User Says Thank You to Tapate50 For This Useful Post:

    gcbraves (03-27-2019)

  9. #26
    Danville Rookie tululush's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    339
    Thanks
    9
    Thanked 64 Times in 40 Posts
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tapate50 View Post
    Let it all out big fella.
    Lol AA is like the Dan Kolb of GMs. And Duvall, if he remains in the team, is the hitting version of Kolb as well.

  10. #27
    It's OVER 5,000! Tapate50's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    10,293
    Thanks
    4,696
    Thanked 2,777 Times in 1,736 Posts
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by UNCBlue012 View Post
    Agreed. Unless CK's asking numbers are just astronomical, I'd go ahead and bite. This team desperate needs someone like him. Viz-Minter-Kimbrel is a dirty 7-8-9.
    I think its safe to say that of all the teams that have "engaged" CK's camp, and that he hasn't signed with anyone yet his ask is pretty high.
    "No thanks, I'd rather sit in the balcony" - Abe Lincoln

  11. #28
    PosiBraves Hell Gatekeeper
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    16,784
    Thanks
    31
    Thanked 5,274 Times in 3,124 Posts
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tululush View Post
    When is the deadline, today or tomorrow? And what time? It’s bordering on nonsensical a this point. Everything AA is doing literally makes no sense. From cutting certain players to save money (Freeman), but keeping certain players in the minors and costing us 3 million (Duvall), to not making any sense in the outfield (Joyce) and possibly playing someone who has zero experience there (Camargo), to not signing any pitching help when we have way too many injuries to start the season. AA has made zero sense this offseason. They’ve done the opposite of what they’ve said, and said the opposite of what they’ve done. Sigh.
    I have to agree with this summary of affairs almost 100%. Maybe the plan is so complex we can't possibly understand what's going on.

    I will say that there is still time to cut Duvall and save some cash though, so there is a small glimmer of hope that AA rounds out the roster in a logical manner.

    The most straightforward solution would have been to grab a RHH 4th OFer like Guyer, and trim away enough fat to afford afford Kimbrel, but AA hasn't exactly spent this off season filling obvious holes with obvious answers. The homer in me is holding out hope that the plan isn't a non-platoon with Matt Joyce in the OF, but I'm running out of ideas.
    I think he (Teheran) finishes with a FIP ~3.3. -CrazyTrain 3/25/2019

    Gausman had a bad walk ratio for us -CrazyTrain 11/20/2018
    BB/9 with Braves: 2.72

    Fried, Newk and a couple other guys for Bumgarner and give him a pay day for 6ish years -CrazyTrain 10/15/18

  12. The Following User Says Thank You to Enscheff For This Useful Post:

    gcbraves (03-27-2019)

  13. #29
    Steve Harvey'd
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Posts
    11,586
    Thanks
    1,298
    Thanked 3,319 Times in 1,992 Posts
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The biggest problem with not grabbing a legit 4th OF is injury. Are we sure we want Joyce, camargo, and Culberson Manning RF for a month if Neck pulls a hammy. I don’t. And I sure don’t want Dufail being called up to fill in. I know 4th OF come with certain flaws, but we don’t even have that.
    Coppy

  14. #30
    Approaching Buddy Hernandez Territory
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    1,059
    Thanks
    2
    Thanked 234 Times in 154 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Man...DeGrom's new contract has more than 50 million deferred. Why in the heck would he sign that?

  15. #31
    Danville Rookie tululush's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    339
    Thanks
    9
    Thanked 64 Times in 40 Posts
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bravesfanMatt View Post
    The biggest problem with not grabbing a legit 4th OF is injury. Are we sure we want Joyce, camargo, and Culberson Manning RF for a month if Neck pulls a hammy. I donít. And I sure donít want Dufail being called up to fill in. I know 4th OF come with certain flaws, but we donít even have that.
    AA is just completely short sighted. I mean if we look at the way AA constructed our team and constructed our off season it's clear to see that that's just his mentality. He paid an aging, oft injured third baseman 23 million and then pretty much closed up shop. He's literally put in the absolute minimum effort across the board. Failed to really do anything after signing Donaldson, failed to upgrade the outfield (hell one could debate he actually made our outfield worse by banking on an aging career year from Muk), failed to do anything with then pen, and failed to do anything when more than half our starters got injured this spring. Does it surprise anyone that he failed to secure a 4th outfielder? Instead he'd rather waste 3 million on a hitter who is so poor he had to be demoted to AAA. He's either blind to talent or he can't swallow his pride about an awful move he made last year. I'd love to be wrong and will admit it if I am, but my g-d he's been absolutely awful at roster constitution/management.

  16. #32
    10 yr, $185 million Extension striker42's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    4,503
    Thanks
    138
    Thanked 1,675 Times in 979 Posts
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
    I have to agree with this summary of affairs almost 100%. Maybe the plan is so complex we can't possibly understand what's going on.

    I will say that there is still time to cut Duvall and save some cash though, so there is a small glimmer of hope that AA rounds out the roster in a logical manner.

    The most straightforward solution would have been to grab a RHH 4th OFer like Guyer, and trim away enough fat to afford afford Kimbrel, but AA hasn't exactly spent this off season filling obvious holes with obvious answers. The homer in me is holding out hope that the plan isn't a non-platoon with Matt Joyce in the OF, but I'm running out of ideas.
    I don't see us cutting Duvall. Optioning him to AAA revealed the plan. They're going to stash him in the minors and give him playing time to "regain his form."

    What we're seeing makes perfect sense when you realize that, like many people in high level positions, AA cannot bring himself to admit making a mistake. I'm convinced that AA still 100% believes Duvall is going to return to his 2017 form and show everyone why we traded for him. I think that belief hamstrung us all offseason and kept us from really pursuing an upgrade in the OF.

    This is a bad sign for me. GM's will make mistakes. It's when they can't bring themselves to admit their mistakes and understand what sunk cost means that you have problems.

  17. #33
    It's OVER 5,000! msstate7's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Posts
    15,367
    Thanks
    148
    Thanked 3,087 Times in 1,989 Posts
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Lineups for both teams released:

    Ender
    Donaldson
    FF
    Acuna
    Markakis
    Albies
    McCann
    Swanson
    Teheran

    Phillies...
    Andrew McCutchen LF
    Jean segura SS
    Bryce Harper RF
    Rhy Hoskins 1b
    JT realmuto C
    Odubel Cabrera CF
    Cesar Hernandez 2b
    Mailel Franco 3b
    Aaron Nola P

    We gonna have our hands full this 3-game series

  18. #34
    Boras' Client
    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Posts
    4,336
    Thanks
    869
    Thanked 987 Times in 671 Posts
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by msstate7 View Post
    We gonna have our hands full this 3-game series
    as are the phillies
    "This is the end of my presidency. I'm ****ed." - Donald J. Trump, innocent and totally exonerated man, upon hearing a special counsel has been appointed to investigate him.

  19. #35
    It's OVER 5,000!
    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Posts
    5,566
    Thanks
    228
    Thanked 934 Times in 717 Posts
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by striker42 View Post
    I don't see us cutting Duvall. Optioning him to AAA revealed the plan. They're going to stash him in the minors and give him playing time to "regain his form."

    What we're seeing makes perfect sense when you realize that, like many people in high level positions, AA cannot bring himself to admit making a mistake. I'm convinced that AA still 100% believes Duvall is going to return to his 2017 form and show everyone why we traded for him. I think that belief hamstrung us all offseason and kept us from really pursuing an upgrade in the OF.

    This is a bad sign for me. GM's will make mistakes. It's when they can't bring themselves to admit their mistakes and understand what sunk cost means that you have problems.

    If the Braves don't need to scrap up cash for an imminent acquisition, then I don't really see the point in cutting Duvall.

  20. #36
    It's OVER 5,000! msstate7's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Posts
    15,367
    Thanks
    148
    Thanked 3,087 Times in 1,989 Posts
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Super View Post
    as are the phillies
    Yep. Should be a good series. No folty and gausman puts us at a disadvantage though

  21. #37
    It's OVER 5,000! UNCBlue012's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Greensboro, North Carolina
    Posts
    12,610
    Thanks
    3,383
    Thanked 1,452 Times in 1,050 Posts
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The Braves are No. 8 on ESPNís first power rankings, ahead of the Nats, Phillies, Mets and Marlins.

  22. #38
    Steve Harvey'd
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Posts
    11,586
    Thanks
    1,298
    Thanked 3,319 Times in 1,992 Posts
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by UNCBlue012 View Post
    The Braves are No. 8 on ESPN’s first power rankings, ahead of the Nats, Phillies, Mets and Marlins.
    If there is one thing worse than MLB power ranking it is an ESPN power ranking. Those clowns are fools
    Coppy

  23. #39
    Danville Rookie tululush's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    339
    Thanks
    9
    Thanked 64 Times in 40 Posts
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Southcack77 View Post
    If the Braves don't need to scrap up cash for an imminent acquisition, then I don't really see the point in cutting Duvall.
    The bearded closer who's begging us to sign him raises his hand. Lord knows the extra cash laying around can't be used for him bc the Braves would rather put it towards the commercial real estate deals at the battery. Funny thing is by not re-investing it into the team, if we subsequently do worse, we'll draw less fans which will mean less money. Have to spend money to make money. Again, short sighted philosophies.

  24. #40
    Sabermetric Slut
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Your Mom's Basement
    Posts
    15,991
    Thanks
    1,001
    Thanked 4,506 Times in 2,892 Posts
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tululush View Post
    The bearded closer who's begging us to sign him raises his hand. Lord knows the extra cash laying around can't be used for him bc the Braves would rather put it towards the commercial real estate deals at the battery. Funny thing is by not re-investing it into the team, if we subsequently do worse, we'll draw less fans which will mean less money. Have to spend money to make money. Again, short sighted philosophies.
    If you believe the reports then Duvall has no bearing on signing Kimbrel. It's the Braves willingness to go to a 3rd year.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •