Page 3 of 146 FirstFirst 123451353103 ... LastLast

Thread: Around The Majors 2019

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,837 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bravesfanMatt View Post
    If there is one thing worse than MLB power ranking it is an ESPN power ranking. Those clowns are fools
    You're just mad it goes against your narrative that AA blew this offseason.

Anytime Now Frankie... tululush's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    180 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thewupk View Post
    If you believe the reports then Duvall has no bearing on signing Kimbrel. It's the Braves willingness to go to a 3rd year.
    Based on what has been told to the fans and what actions have transpired during this off season I honestly don't believe what's holding us back is reluctance going to third year. I think they just don't want to spend the money. Period. We're being run by a cheap owner and it's trickling down. It's just another excuse as to why we won't sign him. And part of the reason why I'm so angry with AA is he just continues the lie passed down from ownership. Everyone from ownership down to GM needs to just tell us the truth. We're done spending. We want to use the extra money to pay down debt. I don't agree with it, but at least it's honesty. Don't compound the problem by lying to our fans and thinking we're a bunch of idiots who will believe the rhetoric.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,150 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tululush View Post
    The bearded closer who's begging us to sign him raises his hand. Lord knows the extra cash laying around can't be used for him bc the Braves would rather put it towards the commercial real estate deals at the battery. Funny thing is by not re-investing it into the team, if we subsequently do worse, we'll draw less fans which will mean less money. Have to spend money to make money. Again, short sighted philosophies.
    Yes, I'm asking you to put aside the scenario where cutting Duvall is the difference between signing or not signing Kimbrell or anyone else before the season.

Does it really make sense to cut him?

Anytime Now Frankie... tululush's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    180 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Southcack77 View Post
    Yes, I'm asking you to put aside the scenario where cutting Duvall is the difference between signing or not signing Kimbrell or anyone else before the season.

It does if we don't have the financial flexibility bc our owners are taking the surplus money and revenue generated to pay down debt instead of bettering our team. And all of this after we were told we have money to spend...ok, spend it.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,150 Posts
    Based on what has been told to the fans and what actions have transpired during this off season I honestly don't believe what's holding us back is reluctance going to third year. I think they just don't want to spend the money. Period. We're being run by a cheap owner and it's trickling down. It's just another excuse as to why we won't sign him. And part of the reason why I'm so angry with AA is he just continues the lie passed down from ownership. Everyone from ownership down to GM needs to just tell us the truth. We're done spending. We want to use the extra money to pay down debt. I don't agree with it, but at least it's honesty. Don't compound the problem by lying to our fans and thinking we're a bunch of idiots who will believe the rhetoric.
    It's this stuff that is the unnecessary product of being overly close to the vest and non-communicative.

Granted, this stuff happens when you're very open too. People are drama queens.

It's entirely possible they have a limited budget and don't think that adding a closer at 18m for 3 years? is a particularly good investment for the team's limited dollars.

If they'd been willing to make that kind of commitment, they'd maybe have done it for an OF?

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,150 Posts
    It does if we don't have the financial flexibility bc our owners are taking the surplus money and revenue generated to pay down debt instead of bettering our team. And all of this after we were told we have money to spend...ok, spend it.
    I don't think we have much indication at all that saving 2 million dollars would made a particularly big impact on the team's debt load or ability to compete.

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,353 Posts
    You're just mad it goes against your narrative that AA blew this offseason.
    I will always say he blew this offseason. ESPN won’t change that.
    Coppy

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,837 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bravesfanMatt View Post
    I will always say he blew this offseason. ESPN won’t change that.
    Just glad we have another publication that disagrees with you

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,353 Posts

I thought it would. Take his money and pay someone else to play the role but at this point in the year. No it doesn’t. It is too late to make moves that will make much difference. Not without spending significant dollars. Other insurance policies could have been made if he would have seen this as a possible outcome. But now I don’t think there is much out there to protect us against injury.
    Coppy

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,353 Posts
    Just glad we have another publication that disagrees with you

I will always feel good when espn disagrees with me. What was the other publication that disagreed with me?
    Coppy

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,881 Posts
    I think the pick is a stickler on CK.
    Ivermectin Man

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,123 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Tapate50 View Post
    I think the pick is a stickler on CK.
    I’m gonna agree. A 3rd year isn’t that big of a deal imo but a 4th would be. The pick and bonus pool money is the big sticking point imo. But if we could get CK for 3/45 with an option for a 4th year I’d give up the pick.

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,353 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Hudson2 View Post
    I’m gonna agree. A 3rd year isn’t that big of a deal imo but a 4th would be. The pick and bonus pool money is the big sticking point imo. But if we could get CK for 3/45 with an option for a 4th year I’d give up the pick.
    Agreed. We have not been interested in anyone that would require us forfeiting the pick (more importantly the pool money). So I don’t see that happening now. This is the year our guys sink or swim. There is no life ring coming from above.
    Coppy

Secretary of Statistics AerchAngel's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    882 Posts
    Wasn't we picked last, last year?

Do it again what we did last year and our young pitchers get smarter and better.

Smoltz, Glavine and others struggled but they got good, better and the best through competition.

Lets look at it that way and quit being this generation of we want results now fandom.

Secretary of Statistics AerchAngel's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    882 Posts
    I am sorry but we have changed over a few decades.

I am tired of admin a board of people who want he coach fired after a few games and why we aren't winning when he has four scholarship players coming back.

It drives me up the freaking wall. I don't ban, my mods do it, I don't have the stomach for it but I talk to them and say they might get it, not from me.

People, we can be really good, mediocre, or bad, but if the pitching is bad and they are 20, 21 or 22 years old, just remember the 90's, it was a great time. They are learning to be big boys and these boys are on par with Smoltz in pitching but they need to learn like him.

Arbitration Eligible
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    482 Posts
    I will bite my tongue when this team does well, and you all claim it doesn’t count because it wasn’t predictable.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,108 Posts
    I don't think we have much indication at all that saving 2 million dollars would made a particularly big impact on the team's debt load or ability to compete.
    The Braves are probably limited to short deals because they can’t take on much more overall debt while still adhering to MLBs debt servicing rules. If the plan is to take on even more debt to expand around the ballpark even more, they aren’t in a position to add $50M in total debt for Kimbrel.

If they are limited to 1 year deals, then yes, a few million here and there makes a pretty big difference.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,108 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mfree80 View Post
    I will bite my tongue when this team does well, and you all claim it doesn’t count because it wasn’t predictable.
    Nobody has ever said anything even remotely close to this.

Claiming something isn’t sustainable is not the same as claiming it doesn’t count. This is easily the most common moronic statement made by anti-stats folks.

All of the HRs Albies hit certainly count, even though I was constantly pointing out how unsustainable they were.

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,353 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mfree80 View Post
    I think the team will do well. I think the FO could have done more as a contingency plan. We have a thinner margin for injury and regression than other clubs because of this.
    Coppy

Arbitration Eligible
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    482 Posts
    I am not actually anti-stat, but I do think AA will probably not get enough credit for the success of the team.

I am confident that it will turn out better than some of you are predicting.