User Tag List

Page 60 of 76 FirstFirst ... 1050585960616270 ... LastLast
Results 1,181 to 1,200 of 1502

Thread: Around The Majors 2019

  1. #1181
    "What is a clvclv"
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Nebo, NC
    Posts
    6,441
    Thanks
    3,700
    Thanked 1,714 Times in 1,140 Posts
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by goldfly View Post
    i would like to know what it would take for Greinke but that 70 million for 2 years after this year is scary imo for years 38 and 39
    True, but they're not getting anybody to take him without eating a significant chunk of that money. Gausman's likely to make at least what Julio's making next season, and whether you attribute Gausman's season thus far to bad luck or not I'd personally prefer Greinke.

    Is anybody honestly convinced that Folty's breakout 2018 isn't a bit of a mirage right now? He's back to walking people left and right, the fastball is still straight, and he's never given anyone much of a reason to think that he's capable of pitching with diminished stuff as he ages.

    I'm not saying that Greinke needs to be Target 1 by any means, but if we're able to limit Soroka's innings so that he's "full-go" for the postseason, a playoff rotation of Greinke/Keuchel/Soroka could make some noise. If you sent Gausman their way and kept Folty and he figures things out, that's an awfully strong top 4 and you don't really need to worry about looking for a Keuchel "replacement" this winter.
    The FO that needlessly promoted him early knew what they were doing and are paid to do this. We aren't, so we can't know more than them. Correction....they used to be paid to do this..

    I also don't see the reasoning behind signing DK over CK, and I'm going to assume the Braves can only afford one of them. Like Bumgarner, DK would be an improvement in the rotation, but it seems like CK would be a bigger improvement in the BP.

  2. #1182
    Steve Harvey'd
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Posts
    11,438
    Thanks
    1,258
    Thanked 3,271 Times in 1,962 Posts
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by clvclv View Post
    True, but they're not getting anybody to take him without eating a significant chunk of that money. Gausman's likely to make at least what Julio's making next season, and whether you attribute Gausman's season thus far to bad luck or not I'd personally prefer Greinke.

    Is anybody honestly convinced that Folty's breakout 2018 isn't a bit of a mirage right now? He's back to walking people left and right, the fastball is still straight, and he's never given anyone much of a reason to think that he's capable of pitching with diminished stuff as he ages.

    I'm not saying that Greinke needs to be Target 1 by any means, but if we're able to limit Soroka's innings so that he's "full-go" for the postseason, a playoff rotation of Greinke/Keuchel/Soroka could make some noise. If you sent Gausman their way and kept Folty and he figures things out, that's an awfully strong top 4 and you don't really need to worry about looking for a Keuchel "replacement" this winter.

    Folty isn’t walking everyone and his fastball is fine. His problem is crispness on slider and locating his pitches better. Folty’s last 5 starts he is walking less than 2 a game.
    Coppy

  3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bravesfanMatt For This Useful Post:

    clvclv (06-12-2019),jpx7 (06-12-2019)

  4. #1183
    "What is a clvclv"
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Nebo, NC
    Posts
    6,441
    Thanks
    3,700
    Thanked 1,714 Times in 1,140 Posts
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bravesfanMatt View Post
    Folty isn’t walking everyone and his fastball is fine. His problem is crispness on slider and locating his pitches better. Folty’s last 5 starts he is walking less than 2 a game.
    Which is fine - didn't actually look - but the 4 last night makes me worry since it looked more like he was pitching away from contact to try to keep the ball in the park. Money/service time is a perfectly good reason for keeping him rather than Gausman as I mentioned.

    Like I said, I wouldn't "break the bank" for Zack by any means - but he's certainly proven capable of being a frontline SP even without his best stuff, and I'd trust him far more in a play-in or playoff game than Folty or Gausman.
    The FO that needlessly promoted him early knew what they were doing and are paid to do this. We aren't, so we can't know more than them. Correction....they used to be paid to do this..

    I also don't see the reasoning behind signing DK over CK, and I'm going to assume the Braves can only afford one of them. Like Bumgarner, DK would be an improvement in the rotation, but it seems like CK would be a bigger improvement in the BP.

  5. #1184
    Arbitration Eligible
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Posts
    3,073
    Thanks
    2
    Thanked 360 Times in 271 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by UNCBlue012 View Post
    Newk will start Saturday's game against the Phillies, reports say.
    I like it except for the fact that takes our #2 bullpen weapon out of all the games leading up to and past Sat....

  6. #1185
    Expects Yuge Games nsacpi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    23,280
    Thanks
    1,734
    Thanked 8,213 Times in 5,161 Posts
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TheBravos View Post
    I like it except for the fact that takes our #2 bullpen weapon out of all the games leading up to and past Sat....
    Starters are more important.
    ďIt's a shame the White House has become an adult day care center. Someone obviously missed their shift this morning.Ē Senator Bob Corker

  7. The Following User Says Thank You to nsacpi For This Useful Post:

    GovClintonTyree (06-13-2019)

  8. #1186
    It's OVER 5,000!
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Posts
    5,734
    Thanks
    690
    Thanked 1,859 Times in 1,124 Posts
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by nsacpi View Post
    Starters are more important.
    Excellent reliever > mediocre starter

    I have my doubts Newk is anything more than a LH Julio

  9. #1187
    Expects Yuge Games nsacpi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    23,280
    Thanks
    1,734
    Thanked 8,213 Times in 5,161 Posts
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by chop2chip View Post
    Excellent reliever > mediocre starter

    I have my doubts Newk is anything more than a LH Julio
    not really...


    1 WAR=excellent reliever

    1.5 WAR = mediocre starter

    ymmv
    ďIt's a shame the White House has become an adult day care center. Someone obviously missed their shift this morning.Ē Senator Bob Corker

  10. #1188
    It's OVER 5,000!
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    5,577
    Thanks
    872
    Thanked 1,158 Times in 804 Posts
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by nsacpi View Post
    not really...


    1 WAR=excellent reliever

    1.5 WAR = mediocre starter

    ymmv
    ymmv?

    You Must Make Veal?

  11. #1189
    Making Atlanta Great Again!
    #MAGA!

    Promises MADE, Promises KEPT!
    Individual-1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    School of Hard Cox
    Posts
    17,893
    Thanks
    6,885
    Thanked 6,988 Times in 4,002 Posts
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Carp View Post
    ymmv?

    You Must Make Veal?
    Your mileage may vary.

    Just like whenever someone throws TOR around when talking about starters. It means a starting pitcher with Toronto connectiona because AA was GM of the Jays for a while. Example: Soroka is Canadian.
    Forever Fredi


  12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Individual-1 For This Useful Post:

    Jaw (06-13-2019),jpx7 (06-13-2019)

  13. #1190
    Got the Call to Lynchburg
    Join Date
    Jul 2018
    Posts
    423
    Thanks
    6
    Thanked 27 Times in 22 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by chop2chip View Post
    Excellent reliever > mediocre starter

    I have my doubts Newk is anything more than a LH Julio
    Julio almost has 1 fWAR so far and is sporting a 3.0 ERA. He's not a perfect player by any means, but what are you trying to say here?

  14. #1191
    Boras' Client
    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Posts
    4,235
    Thanks
    851
    Thanked 963 Times in 655 Posts
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by CrazyTrain View Post
    Julio almost has 1 fWAR so far and is sporting a 3.0 ERA. He's not a perfect player by any means, but what are you trying to say here?
    probably that he's a 0.5-2 WAR SP?
    "This is the end of my presidency. I'm ****ed." - Donald J. Trump, innocent and totally exonerated man, upon hearing a special counsel has been appointed to investigate him.

  15. #1192
    PosiBraves Hell Gatekeeper
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    16,447
    Thanks
    29
    Thanked 5,074 Times in 3,017 Posts
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by clvclv View Post
    Which is fine - didn't actually look - but the 4 last night makes me worry since it looked more like he was pitching away from contact to try to keep the ball in the park. Money/service time is a perfectly good reason for keeping him rather than Gausman as I mentioned.

    Like I said, I wouldn't "break the bank" for Zack by any means - but he's certainly proven capable of being a frontline SP even without his best stuff, and I'd trust him far more in a play-in or playoff game than Folty or Gausman.
    Not knowing something didn't stop you from blabbering about it anyways...

    Shocking...
    I think he (Teheran) finishes with a FIP ~3.3. -CrazyTrain 3/25/2019

    Gausman had a bad walk ratio for us -CrazyTrain 11/20/2018
    BB/9 with Braves: 2.72

    Fried, Newk and a couple other guys for Bumgarner and give him a pay day for 6ish years -CrazyTrain 10/15/18

  16. #1193
    PosiBraves Hell Gatekeeper
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    16,447
    Thanks
    29
    Thanked 5,074 Times in 3,017 Posts
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by nsacpi View Post
    not really...


    1 WAR=excellent reliever

    1.5 WAR = mediocre starter

    ymmv
    Recent FA contract WAR/$ values suggest WAR is a pretty terrible way to value BP arms.
    I think he (Teheran) finishes with a FIP ~3.3. -CrazyTrain 3/25/2019

    Gausman had a bad walk ratio for us -CrazyTrain 11/20/2018
    BB/9 with Braves: 2.72

    Fried, Newk and a couple other guys for Bumgarner and give him a pay day for 6ish years -CrazyTrain 10/15/18

  17. The Following User Says Thank You to Enscheff For This Useful Post:

    jpx7 (06-13-2019)

  18. #1194
    "What is a clvclv"
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Nebo, NC
    Posts
    6,441
    Thanks
    3,700
    Thanked 1,714 Times in 1,140 Posts
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
    Not knowing something didn't stop you from blabbering about it anyways...

    Shocking...
    Almost as shocking as the fact that you took almost 24 hours to blabber about it.

    Nobody else to pick on today???

    So sorry - here's a lollipop.
    The FO that needlessly promoted him early knew what they were doing and are paid to do this. We aren't, so we can't know more than them. Correction....they used to be paid to do this..

    I also don't see the reasoning behind signing DK over CK, and I'm going to assume the Braves can only afford one of them. Like Bumgarner, DK would be an improvement in the rotation, but it seems like CK would be a bigger improvement in the BP.

  19. #1195
    It's OVER 5,000!
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Posts
    5,734
    Thanks
    690
    Thanked 1,859 Times in 1,124 Posts
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by nsacpi View Post
    not really...


    1 WAR=excellent reliever

    1.5 WAR = mediocre starter

    ymmv
    I donít agree with the premise that WAR is the correct measure for this comparison.

    I would gladly sacrifice the 0.5 WAR for the high leverage usage.

  20. #1196
    It's OVER 5,000!
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Posts
    5,734
    Thanks
    690
    Thanked 1,859 Times in 1,124 Posts
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by CrazyTrain View Post
    Julio almost has 1 fWAR so far and is sporting a 3.0 ERA. He's not a perfect player by any means, but what are you trying to say here?
    Iím assuming youíve watched Julio the past 4 years.

    I view starter Newk similarly.

    Not sure thereís much more to add to that.

  21. #1197
    It's OVER 5,000!
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    5,577
    Thanks
    872
    Thanked 1,158 Times in 804 Posts
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by chop2chip View Post
    Iím assuming youíve watched Julio the past 4 years.

    I view starter Newk similarly.

    Not sure thereís much more to add to that.
    So a solid number 4 who occasionally has a year where he pitches like a 2/3. That's pretty valuable, especially while he's cheap.

  22. #1198
    It's OVER 5,000!
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Posts
    5,734
    Thanks
    690
    Thanked 1,859 Times in 1,124 Posts
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Carp View Post
    So a solid number 4 who occasionally has a year where he pitches like a 2/3. That's pretty valuable, especially while he's cheap.
    This isnít a value conversation.

    Itís whether I want that or an elite relief pitcher (which Newk has been).

    Never mind that relief pitchers donít do as well in arbitration if we want to go down that path.

  23. #1199
    It's OVER 5,000!
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    5,577
    Thanks
    872
    Thanked 1,158 Times in 804 Posts
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by chop2chip View Post
    This isnít a value conversation.

    Itís whether I want that or an elite relief pitcher (which Newk has been).

    Never mind that relief pitchers donít do as well in arbitration if we want to go down that path.
    I think you take the mid rotation pitcher and you trade for a high leverage reliever.

  24. #1200
    Got the Call to Lynchburg
    Join Date
    Jul 2018
    Posts
    423
    Thanks
    6
    Thanked 27 Times in 22 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Super View Post
    probably that he's a 0.5-2 WAR SP?
    Itís June?

    Seems odd to **** on a guy whoís only given up 3 runs in his last 7 starts. Hasnít given up a homer in like 45+ innings.

    If he could figure out how to stop waking so many guys heíd be incredible.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •