Results 1,481 to 1,500 of 2907

Thread: Around The Majors 2019

Arbitration Eligible
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    773 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CyYoung31 View Post
    Who the hell said anything about reminiscing about the “good old days”? I just cited a bunch of progressive changes I’d like to see made. Nice strawman.

By the way, my point about taking away the 2nd WC was in reference to Beanie’s complaint about the lack of pennant races, not that I’d actually want to see it happen. I guess you missed that nuance being hellbent on your crusade against dinosaurs though.
    Wait, when did I complain about the lack of pennant races? I don't particularly care about how the divisions are structured or how many teams are competing for division championships, I care about how many teams are competing for the playoffs in general.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,481 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BeanieAntics View Post
    Wait, when did I complain about the lack of pennant races? I don't particularly care about how the divisions are structured or how many teams are competing for division championships, I care about how many teams are competing for the playoffs in general.
    You were complaining about the playoff races already being decided. Isn’t that the same thing?

Either way, we both agree that we don’t need less playoff teams. We just disagree on needing more at present.

NL Rookie of the Year CrazyTrain's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    191 Posts
    I'm so surprised that a guy like Jordan Hicks, who throws as hard as possible on every pitch, tore his UCL.

Shocking.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,675 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CrazyTrain View Post
    I'm so surprised that a guy like Jordan Hicks, who throws as hard as possible on every pitch, tore his UCL.

Shocking.
    Closer price probably just went up

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by msstate7 View Post
    Closer price probably just went up
    I just wish AA would go on and get somebody now. If he wants to bargain shop for someone not named Smith, Giles, or Vasquez that's fine. What I worry about is that some of the teams that are currently just treading water or are on the outside looking in - Texas, Boston, Angels, St. Louis, Philly, Washington - decides to get frisky and picks off a couple of the top guys and causes the price to go up substantially for the second-tier arms.

The fan in everyone would love to see that headline-grabbing deal (Stroman/Giles, MadBum/Smith, etc.) that gets all the national media in an uproar about what a great move it is, but I'm pretty sure most people here would be perfectly fine with a deal that directly addresses our needs without costing big pieces - so long as it also doesn't cost someone that people have had reason to hype (even if inconsistently). What will be unbelievably disappointing is if not only do we not get someone you're absolutely comfortable plugging-in in the 8th or 9th, but we have to give up a pretty nice piece or two to add a middle-inning guy and are still gambling on Jackson/Minter to close out really important games down the stretch.
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

Making Atlanta Great Again!
    #MAGA!

Promises MADE, Promises KEPT!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,746 Posts
    Dodgers apparently wanna nab up Smith.
    Forever Fredi

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,533 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Individual-1 View Post
    I like this. Dodgers vs Giants. Zaidi vs Friedman. Steel cage match. Let's get it on.
    "I am a victim, I will tell you. I am a victim."

"I am your retribution."

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,360 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by clvclv View Post
    I just wish AA would go on and get somebody now.
    not many of the big guys are being made available right now. doesn't work that way.
    "Well, you’ll learn soon enough that this was a massive red wave landslide." - thethe on the 2020 election that trump lost bigly

“I can’t fix my life, but I can fix the world.” - sturg

Arbitration Eligible
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    773 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Individual-1 View Post
    Then they will definitely have to move to west Philadelphia. You can't have two fresh princes on the same team.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BeanieAntics For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (06-25-2019), nsacpi (06-25-2019)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,533 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BeanieAntics View Post
    Then they will definitely have to move to west Philadelphia. You can't have two fresh princes on the same team.
    maybe they trade Will Smith for Will Smith

"I am your retribution."

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,150 Posts
    Someone had mentioned Braves attendance awhile back.

through 41 games:

2017 1,247,027 (30,415)
    2018 1,305,399 (31,839)
    2019 1,275,191 (31,102)

Running a bit behind last season overall, but it's hard to say whether there has been a similar mix of weekday/weekend matchups and quality.

Probably something right about 2.5m is about right as last season's projection slightly lagged behind 41 game estimate.

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Super View Post
    not many of the big guys are being made available right now. doesn't work that way.
    It "works that way" when you're willing to pay the price.

The point is - if AA's going to wind up having to overpay or roll with what he's got, go on and overpay now before everybody starts coming off the board. If the Dodgers really are interested in Smith, not only is it going to cost them big, it's another case where we lose ground that we can't make up. They're the better team already - if they scoop up the piece we need the most and lengthen their pen that much more, they start getting to the point where pretty much no one in the NL has a shot at taking them out. With a significantly improved pen we do, but if they've suddenly got Smith in front of Jansen and a couple of their rotation guys as pen pieces in October we might as well just stand pat.

No one's saying they don't understand the thought process behind that. The thing that drives lots of people nuts about it is that it then leads to the unanswerable question - "if you weren't going to do what it takes to have a shot, why in the *ell did you go out and spend the equivalent of $43 million on Donaldson and Keuchel this year???"
    Last edited by clvclv; 06-25-2019 at 02:01 PM.
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,533 Posts

The point is - if AA's going to wind up having to overpay or roll with what he's got, go on and overpay now before everybody starts coming off the board. If the Dodgers really are interested in Smith, not only is it going to cost them big, it's another case where we lose ground that we can't make up. They're the better team already - if they scoop up the piece we need the most and lengthen their pen that much more, they start getting to the point where pretty much no one in the NL has a shot at taking them out. With a significantly improved pen we do, but if they've suddenly got Smith in front of Jansen and a couple of their rotation guys as pen pieces in October we might as well just stand pat.

No one's saying they don't understand the thought process behind that. The thing that drives lots of people nuts about it is that it then leads to the unanswerable question - "if you weren't going to do what it takes to have a shot, why in the *ell did you go out and spend the equivalent of $43 million on Donaldson and Keuchel this year???"
    We can't go chasing the price if other teams overpay. I think AA will stay disciplined and bid based on valuation. If the Dodgers decide to overpay for Smith let them make that mistake.

We will have "a shot" regardless of whether we get Smith or the Dodgers get Smith. That sort of thing moves the needle slightly one way or another, but there are so many other things that determine the outcome of a 5 or 7 game series. Getting Smith doesn't guarantee we beat the Dodgers in a short series. Them getting Smith doesn't guarantee they beat us.
    Last edited by nsacpi; 06-25-2019 at 02:04 PM.

"I am your retribution."

15. The Following User Says Thank You to nsacpi For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (06-25-2019)

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nsacpi View Post
    We can't go chasing the price if other teams overpay. I think AA will stay disciplined and bid based on valuation. If the Dodgers decide to overpay for Smith let them make that mistake.
    Which is just fine. Just don't complain when the rest of the world *itches that he didn't do his job - if that job includes competing for a championship. How many people still complain about one World Series in the stretch where JS won 15 division championships rather than looking at it as a great accomplishment?

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,150 Posts

Braves aren't going to be able to prevent the Dodgers from improving if the Dodgers choose to overpay for a reliever. The Braves can't shut down the market.

The advantage of Will Smith vs Brad Hand or Yates or even Giles is that presumably he would cost less. If he doesn't cost less then one is as good as the other.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Southcack77 For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (06-25-2019)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,150 Posts
    Which is just fine. Just don't complain when the rest of the world *itches that he didn't do his job - if that job includes competing for a championship. How many people still complain about one World Series in the stretch where JS won 15 division championships rather than looking at it as a great accomplishment?
    People bitched non-stop about the offseason. who really cares what the dummies think if the team is winning?

I can't think of anything more insufferable than someone that still complains about all the winning that happened 20 years ago.

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Southcack77 View Post
    Braves aren't going to be able to prevent the Dodgers from improving if the Dodgers choose to overpay for a reliever. The Braves can't shut down the market.

The advantage of Will Smith vs Brad Hand or Yates or even Giles is that presumably he would cost less. If he doesn't cost less then one is as good as the other.
    When that happens, let us know. Removing Smith from the equation only lessens the supply available for the other teams who DON'T already have a Jansen at the back-end.

Again, the point is being missed - if he's not going to pay what it takes to get Smith, he's not likely going to pay the price for the other guys you mentioned when the asking price for them goes up with Smith off the market.

The complaint about potentially signing Kimbrel was that AA could get a rental or shorter-term deal that wouldn't hamstring you financially 2 years from now. Now you're not willing to pay the price for those rentals when you say in EVERY interview you know the pen needs serious upgrades? Good luck with Jackson.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,533 Posts
    When that happens, let us know. Removing Smith from the equation only lessens the supply available for the other teams who DON'T already have a Jansen at the back-end.

Again, the point is being missed - if he's not going to pay what it takes to get Smith, he's not likely going to pay the price for the other guys you mentioned when the asking price for them goes up with Smith off the market.

The complaint about potentially signing Kimbrel was that AA could get a rental or shorter-term deal that wouldn't hamstring you financially 2 years from now. Now you're not willing to pay the price for those rentals when you say in EVERY interview you know the pen needs serious upgrades? Good luck with Jackson.
    Every team bidding on Smith will have a line drawn somewhere on their prospect list and won't go above that line. We will do the same. And we shouldn't draw that line based on where we think the Dodgers are drawing theirs.

The guys above that line for us (if I were drawing it):

1. Pache
    2. Waters
    3. Wilson
    4. Anderson
    5. Wright
    6. Muller
    7. Langeliers
    8. Contreras
    9. Shewmake
    10. Ynoa
    11. Vodnik

The ones below the line include: Weigel, Wentz, Allard, Davidson. But no one above that line for Smith.
    Last edited by nsacpi; 06-25-2019 at 02:31 PM.

"I am your retribution."

22. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to nsacpi For This Useful Post:

clvclv (06-26-2019), jpx7 (06-25-2019)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,360 Posts
    none of the good rentals have been dealt yet...what the hell are you talking about...you don't go out and overpay for a guy right now.
    "Well, you’ll learn soon enough that this was a massive red wave landslide." - thethe on the 2020 election that trump lost bigly

“I can’t fix my life, but I can fix the world.” - sturg

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,108 Posts
    Keep in mind the person driving this conversation thought the Braves could get Sale for Tyrell Jenkins, and that trading Albies for Dee Gordon was a good idea.

The context of the type of intellect being conversed with is important, imo.

It’s a bit like discussing dinner plans with a 2 year old that just ate playdoh.
    Last edited by Enscheff; 06-25-2019 at 02:51 PM.