Results 1,861 to 1,880 of 2907

Thread: Around The Majors 2019

Arbitration Eligible
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    773 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by clvclv View Post
    That's a bit of a problem since the reports say they plan to use Montgomery in the rotation.

I don't think Montgomery's much other than a placeholder either, but it's not like anybody was going to give them a prospect with any realistic chance of turning into anything for Maldonado - can only guess that they're hoping Montgomery can be at least as good as most of the trash they have at the upper levels for a bit.
    Okay, then go sign Chris Tillman, Edwin Jackson, James Shields, or Yovani Gallardo. Its the same point. There are still tons of guys out there to fit whatever role they want Montgomery to play and it doesn't matter who it is since they're gonna finish 30 games out of the wildcard anyway.

I can kind of buy the idea that they want to see if Montgomery can produce and pawn him off next year or something for slightly more than they would have gotten for Maldonado, but the notion that they had a *need* for him in order to keep their prospects down is ridiculous.

Arbitration Eligible Freshmaker's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    521 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Acuña’s Bat Flip View Post
    That is f'ing GOLD right there. AHAHAHAHA

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Freshmaker For This Useful Post:

Acuña’s Bat Flip (07-18-2019)

Arbitration Eligible
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    589 Posts
    Big news. Jace Peterson is available.

Boras' Client
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    399 Posts
    Phiiiies up 6=1 but can't hold it. Give 3 back. Now 6-4 in Top 4th with Dodgers still hitting

Boras' Client
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    399 Posts
    Now 6-5 in 5th. Phiiiies about to give this away also.

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BeanieAntics View Post
    Okay, then go sign Chris Tillman, Edwin Jackson, James Shields, or Yovani Gallardo. Its the same point. There are still tons of guys out there to fit whatever role they want Montgomery to play and it doesn't matter who it is since they're gonna finish 30 games out of the wildcard anyway.

I can kind of buy the idea that they want to see if Montgomery can produce and pawn him off next year or something for slightly more than they would have gotten for Maldonado, but the notion that they had a *need* for him in order to keep their prospects down is ridiculous.
    They have a "need" for ANYBODY to eat innings - just as the Braves did a few years ago, and it doesn't matter how they get those guys. Sorry, but I wasn't the only one that called your jumping up to call DMGM out for not following the precious charts a little ridiculous. Maldonado held absolutely no value to anyone else, and if Montgomery is as bad as you want to make him out to be you're making that argument by yourself.

It was a trade of two inconsequential players - the reasoning behind the deal makes no difference other than the fact those teams' respective GMs wanted to make the trade. Caratini has been a better player than Maldonado this year, and Contreras will be back in 10 days.
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,941 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by salmagundy View Post
    Now 6-5 in 5th. Phiiiies about to give this away also.
    Beaty with a pinch-hit 3-run HR to put the Dodgers up 8-6.

Arbitration Eligible
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    773 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by clvclv View Post
    They have a "need" for ANYBODY to eat innings - just as the Braves did a few years ago, and it doesn't matter how they get those guys. Sorry, but I wasn't the only one that called your jumping up to call DMGM out for not following the precious charts a little ridiculous. Maldonado held absolutely no value to anyone else, and if Montgomery is as bad as you want to make him out to be you're making that argument by yourself.

It was a trade of two inconsequential players - the reasoning behind the deal makes no difference other than the fact those teams' respective GMs wanted to make the trade. Caratini has been a better player than Maldonado this year, and Contreras will be back in 10 days.
    Maldonado = Asset. Asset = Value. His value was certainly limited, but I was questioning the idea of trading an asset for current value in lieu of future value. Others have pointed out that the Royals idea could be to build up his value so he could be traded for something more substantial later. That may or may not be a good strategy that I didn't consider. That does not mean that your point wasn't stupid. The idea of trading even a milkshake for someone just to keep your prospects down and eat innings is ridiculous when you're one of the worst teams in the league and there are several arms available for the league minimum.

And I don't think I've insinuated anything about Montgomery being a bad pitcher. I would have said the same thing if they'd have gotten substantially better or substantially worse than Montgomery. The point wasn't that Montgomery is bad, its that he's less useful to the Royals than a 35 FV lottery ticket. Like I said, I hadn't considered them possibly flipping him at a later date, mostly because I hadn't realized that he had two years of arb. remaining, but that has nothing to do with your retort which remains bad.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,975 Posts
    Maldonado = Asset. Asset = Value. His value was certainly limited, but I was questioning the idea of trading an asset for current value in lieu of future value. Others have pointed out that the Royals idea could be to build up his value so he could be traded for something more substantial later. That may or may not be a good strategy that I didn't consider. That does not mean that your point wasn't stupid. The idea of trading even a milkshake for someone just to keep your prospects down and eat innings is ridiculous when you're one of the worst teams in the league and there are several arms available for the league minimum.

And I don't think I've insinuated anything about Montgomery being a bad pitcher. I would have said the same thing if they'd have gotten substantially better or substantially worse than Montgomery. The point wasn't that Montgomery is bad, its that he's less useful to the Royals than a 35 FV lottery ticket. Like I said, I hadn't considered them possibly flipping him at a later date, mostly because I hadn't realized that he had two years of arb. remaining, but that has nothing to do with your retort which remains bad.
    I disagree. Montgomery is likely to contribute to the Royals in some capacity, unless he's just completely washed up (certainly possible for a 30 year old pitcher). A 35 FV prospect is basically organizational filler.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,360 Posts

Montgomery had 1.5 WAR last year and MM had 1.7...this is a pretty inconsequential deal?
    "Well, you’ll learn soon enough that this was a massive red wave landslide." - thethe on the 2020 election that trump lost bigly

“I can’t fix my life, but I can fix the world.” - sturg

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,150 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Super View Post
    Montgomery had 1.5 WAR last year and MM had 1.7...this is a pretty inconsequential deal?
    Maldanado is a backup catcher who signed as a FA for 2.5m. That's the epitome of an inconsequential player.

I don't think it's especially unlikely they could flip Montgomery for a 35+ down the road.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,360 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Southcack77 View Post
    Maldanado is a backup catcher who signed as a FA for 2.5m. That's the epitome of an inconsequential player.

I don't think it's especially unlikely they could flip Montgomery for a 35+ down the road.
    yeah i don't think either team made any kind of mistake here lol
    "Well, you’ll learn soon enough that this was a massive red wave landslide." - thethe on the 2020 election that trump lost bigly

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,108 Posts
    yeah i don't think either team made any kind of mistake here lol
    The mistake was someone suggesting KC acquired MM to eat innings.

KC clearly thinks they can increase his value and get more than whatever Maldo could have gotten them. Decent idea even if they can't pull it off.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Enscheff For This Useful Post:

Carp (07-17-2019)

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,941 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
    The mistake was someone suggesting KC acquired MM to eat innings.

KC clearly thinks they can increase his value and get more than whatever Maldo could have gotten them. Decent idea even if they can't pull it off.
    I didn't realize how lopsided his reverse splits were this season (and how terrible he's pitched overall). Splits are pretty even for his career. Curious to see if he figures into any deadline discussions. Wouldn't be a totally wrong-headed move by a contender to have Montgomery as the last guy in the bullpen. I just don't know what anyone would give up for him.

Arbitration Eligible
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    773 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Carp View Post
    I disagree. Montgomery is likely to contribute to the Royals in some capacity, unless he's just completely washed up (certainly possible for a 30 year old pitcher). A 35 FV prospect is basically organizational filler.
    Montgomery is almost certainly going to contribute to the Royals, but who cares? The Royals are going to be awful for the next 2.5 years. Like I said, I can see the argument that Montgomery could rebuild value and be flipped, but if the Royals idea was to trade for him and keep him for 2.5 years, then its a really dumb deal albeit relatively inconsequential, and the Royals would have been far better off getting the 35 FV prospect. At least that player would have a chance at being a contributor at some point on a contending team.

Arbitration Eligible
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    773 Posts
    As I said in the post above, my initial post was made without the knowledge that Montgomery still had two years of arb left. For some reason I had assumed that this was his walk year. Him having 2.5 years of control makes a lot more sense since it gives the Royals time to make another move for future value.

But I don't think any deal is inconsequential in a rebuild. I think you need to search for value as often as you can. I would have been just as perplexed if the Braves had traded Dario Alvarez and Lucas Harrell for Tom Wilhelmsen or somebody like that instead of Travis Demeritte.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to BeanieAntics For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (07-17-2019)

Arbitration Eligible
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    773 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Southcack77 View Post

If that is their plan, then it makes some sense.

Once again, my first post was made with the assumption that Montgomery was entering free agency after this season. I still think that they could have gotten some lottery ticket from the Cubs for Maldonado, but 2.5 years of Montgomery might be a better idea.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,533 Posts
    Never in the long annals of mankind has something so inconsequential prompted such passionate discourse.
    "I am a victim, I will tell you. I am a victim."

"I am your retribution."

22. The Following User Says Thank You to nsacpi For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (07-17-2019)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,360 Posts
    As I said in the post above, my initial post was made without the knowledge that Montgomery still had two years of arb left. For some reason I had assumed that this was his walk year. Him having 2.5 years of control makes a lot more sense since it gives the Royals time to make another move for future value.

But I don't think any deal is inconsequential in a rebuild. I think you need to search for value as often as you can. I would have been just as perplexed if the Braves had traded Dario Alvarez and Lucas Harrell for Tom Wilhelmsen or somebody like that instead of Travis Demeritte.
    it's extremely unlikely either of them will return anything that ends up being real value. both teams seem to have an idea. overall yeah it's pretty inconsequential.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,481 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nsacpi View Post
    Never in the long annals of mankind has something so inconsequential prompted such passionate discourse.
    Oh, I don’t know about that one, Chief.