Page 102 of 146 FirstFirst ... 25292100101102103104112 ... LastLast
Results 2,021 to 2,040 of 2907

Thread: Around The Majors 2019

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    526 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by chop2chip View Post
    Chipper is also from Florida and Freddie is a Southerner California kid who seems to really enjoy playing in front of friends and family when he’s out there. I could see a situation where he goes West after this contract with the Braves.
    Fair point. But he's also a big time family man it appears. So I'm sure his wife would have a big say.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,975 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Individual-1 View Post
    Solution: Move Freeman to 3B
    Gotta admit, I chuckled.

Making Atlanta Great Again!
    #MAGA!

Promises MADE, Promises KEPT!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,746 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by NYCBrave View Post
    Fair point. But he's also a big time family man it appears. So I'm sure his wife would have a big say.
    Cost of living in GA is way cheaper than Southern California. Even though he's already made more money than it would matter, he is living in a nice spot in suburban Atlanta.
    Forever Fredi

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,108 Posts
    I get your point. But it's going to be a very tough decision from the Braves standpoint from a PR perspective, especially if Freeman is still producing at a high level at the end of the deal. He's the face of the team and by all indications wants to be here forever. He also appears to be on the path to having his number retired here. It will be interesting how this plays out.
    It's not going to be a tough decision at all. The narrative will certainly be that it's the hardest decision any GM has ever had to make, but letting a 32 year old 1B-only hitter walk away for an AL team is about as easy a choice as there is for a GM.

If Freeman really wants to sign a series of 1-2 year extensions, great. If he doesn't, bye felicia.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,710 Posts
    If we plan to let Freeman walk in 2.5 years then we definitely need to be all in for those 2.5 years. I would sign him to a 4 year 90 million extension right now if he would take it. I am comfortable taking a risk on Freeman through age 36. Freeman is our Chipper. Dont force Chipper to leave based on worship of projection systems.
    Last edited by cajunrevenge; 07-23-2019 at 01:22 AM.
    "Donald Trump will serve a second term as president of the United States.

It’s over."

Little Thethe Nov 19, 2020.

Arbitration Eligible
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    773 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cajunrevenge View Post
    If we plan to let Freeman walk in 2.5 years then we definitely need to be all in for those 2.5 years. I would sign him to a 4 year 9 million extension right now if he would take it. I am comfortable taking a risk on Freeman through age 36. Freeman is our Chipper. Dont force Chipper to leave based on worship of projection systems.
    Are you sure that Freeman isn't a free agent in 3.5 years? Lol

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,710 Posts
    Fair enough. My maths about as bad as Kyle Wrights pitching.

It’s over."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,967 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cajunrevenge View Post
    Fair enough. My maths about as bad as Kyle Wrights pitching.
    We get it drama boy

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,710 Posts
    But you clearly dont little girl.

It’s over."

Mashin' to Mississippi
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    137 Posts
    I love Freeman as much as anyone, but I completely agree with Enscheff. If he won’t take 1-2 year extensions it’s time for him to move on after his current deal expires.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,360 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Individual-1 View Post
    Cost of living in GA is way cheaper than Southern California. Even though he's already made more money than it would matter, he is living in a nice spot in suburban Atlanta.
    i really doubt this matters all that much or at all
    "Well, you’ll learn soon enough that this was a massive red wave landslide." - thethe on the 2020 election that trump lost bigly

“I can’t fix my life, but I can fix the world.” - sturg

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    526 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Skeeter31 View Post
    I love Freeman as much as anyone, but I completely agree with Enscheff. If he won’t take 1-2 year extensions it’s time for him to move on after his current deal expires.
    Right, I definitely don't think the right approach is to tack on a 5 year extension. I'd definitely consider two, and then see what he is open to beyond that based on his production.

NL Rookie of the Year
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    239 Posts
    Objective take when I’m not mad:

I think it’s fair to be very concerned about Wright, without being absurd or stupid. Granted it might not be good comparisons in this era of the new ball that has been screwing up both prospect (not just ours either if you care to look around for 15 minutes) and major league pitchers, but our college pitchers that have worked out in the last 10 years, you either saw it almost immediately (Alex Wood absolutely manhandling AA and skipping AAA about a year after the draft in 2012 as a reliever for a while, then starting and dominating for a stretch as a 22-year-old), or you at least saw flashes instead of being straight bad in their starts (Mike Minor coming up in August in 2010 and putting up a few solid starts in a row before imploding, probably mostly due to fatigue).

So, it’s fair to be concerned. Very concerned, in fact.

Something that I noticed when looking through brooksbaseball is something that Enscheff warned of last year, although it might not be to as bad of an extent as it could’ve been. Because his fastball didn’t move much, the Braves have tried to tinker with it, and in fact, at least by that source, his fastball moves just fine now. Well, it’s taking away from movement from his off speed. Basically, tin foil hat time, I think Wright is their Yankees Sonny Gray right now.
    Aggression with prospects is fine, but being stupid is not. There should be a way to find a happy medium between a Pirates like idea of being overly cautious with prospects and going stupidly fast with prospects.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,533 Posts
    The call on Freeman is not that hard. We project what he is likely to produce during the years in question. And make him an offer equivalent to a 1 WAR discount. For example if he is projected to be a 3.5 WAR player during the period in question, we offer to pay him as if he would be a 2.5 WAR player. It's up to him whether those terms are acceptable.

That's the sort of approach a front office that focuses relentlessly on value would take.
    Last edited by nsacpi; 07-23-2019 at 09:47 AM.
    "I am a victim, I will tell you. I am a victim."

"I am your retribution."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,533 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by GeorgiaGirl View Post
    Objective take when I’m not mad:

I think it’s fair to be very concerned about Wright, without being absurd or stupid. Granted it might not be good comparisons in this era of the new ball that has been screwing up both prospect (not just ours either if you care to look around for 15 minutes) and major league pitchers, but our college pitchers that have worked out in the last 10 years, you either saw it almost immediately (Alex Wood absolutely manhandling AA and skipping AAA about a year after the draft in 2012 as a reliever for a while, then starting and dominating for a stretch as a 22-year-old), or you at least saw flashes instead of being straight bad in their starts (Mike Minor coming up in August in 2010 and putting up a few solid starts in a row before imploding, probably mostly due to fatigue).

So, it’s fair to be concerned. Very concerned, in fact.

Something that I noticed when looking through brooksbaseball is something that Enscheff warned of last year, although it might not be to as bad of an extent as it could’ve been. Because his fastball didn’t move much, the Braves have tried to tinker with it, and in fact, at least by that source, his fastball moves just fine now. Well, it’s taking away from movement from his off speed. Basically, tin foil hat time, I think Wright is their Yankees Sonny Gray right now.
    I've thought all along that the natural comparisons to Wright were Wood and Minor. And Wood and Minor's progress through the minors was much more impressive.

"I am your retribution."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    526 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nsacpi View Post
    The call on Freeman is not that hard. We project what he is likely to produce during the years in question. And make him an offer equivalent to a 1 WAR discount. For example if he is projected to be a 3.5 WAR player during the period in question, we offer to pay him as if he would be a 2.5 WAR player. It's up to him whether those terms are acceptable.

That's the sort of approach a front office that focuses relentlessly on value would take.
    I don't disagree. It's easy to make these decisions from a strictly baseball perspective. But as a GM you also have to factor in revenue. If we essentially tell Freeman to kick the curb during a time when he is the face of the franchise, that could cause fan backlash which effects the bottom line (ticket sales, merchandise, etc)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,533 Posts
    I don't disagree. It's easy to make these decisions from a strictly baseball perspective. But as a GM you also have to factor in revenue. If we essentially tell Freeman to kick the curb during a time when he is the face of the franchise, that could cause fan backlash which effects the bottom line (ticket sales, merchandise, etc)
    There is going to be fan backlash if Freeman doesn't want to be paid 25M during his early 30s seasons? I don't think so. He can take a hike. But I think Freddie likes Atlanta and playing for the Braves and would be happy to play on those terms.

"I am your retribution."

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,150 Posts
    There is going to be fan backlash if Freeman doesn't want to be paid 25M during his early 30s seasons? I don't think so. He can take a hike. But I think Freddie likes Atlanta and playing for the Braves and would be happy to play on those terms.
    Yes. There is going to be a backlash.

Where's My Cup of Coffee?
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    220 Posts
    You have to think one of the reasons for locking up Acuna and Albies this year was because they're looking down the road to a Freeman extension. Good or bad, you don't let Freeman go. It's very rare to have a continuous 'Face of a Franchise' who profile so very similarly as hitters = Freeman and Chipper. That could be 30+ continuous years.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    526 Posts
    Do you really think the common fan has any idea? All they will know is he's no longer on the team. The common fan is the majority of the Braves fan base, not die hards like us who make up a miniscule portion.

21. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to NYCBrave For This Useful Post:

Super (07-23-2019), UNCBlue012 (07-23-2019)