Page 2 of 146 FirstFirst 12341252102 ... LastLast

Thread: Around The Majors 2019

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,123 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Individual-1 View Post
    Would have to think either AA waits 2 weeks into the season to see where we are, or after draft if long enough.
    Only down side to that is another team could have an injury that forces them to overpay CK. I don’t see him lasting till the draft at all.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,990 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Hudson2 View Post
    Only down side to that is another team could have an injury that forces them to overpay CK. I don’t see him lasting till the draft at all.
    Agreed. Unless CK's asking numbers are just astronomical, I'd go ahead and bite. This team desperate needs someone like him. Viz-Minter-Kimbrel is a dirty 7-8-9.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,881 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Individual-1 View Post
    Would have to think either AA waits 2 weeks into the season to see where we are, or after draft if long enough.
    Or just draft and place Joey Devine in the closers role a month later.
    Ivermectin Man

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Tapate50 For This Useful Post:

cajunrevenge (03-27-2019)

Anytime Now Frankie... tululush's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    180 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bravesfanMatt View Post
    So I guess we are going to have a 3 million dollar minor leaguer who can’t hit and severs no purpose. Nice plan.

Oh and our best chance to rest our two LHH out fiielderd is with two infielders who hardly played outfield or another non lefty hitting old dude. Great plan.
    When is the deadline, today or tomorrow? And what time? It’s bordering on nonsensical a this point. Everything AA is doing literally makes no sense. From cutting certain players to save money (Freeman), but keeping certain players in the minors and costing us 3 million (Duvall), to not making any sense in the outfield (Joyce) and possibly playing someone who has zero experience there (Camargo), to not signing any pitching help when we have way too many injuries to start the season. AA has made zero sense this offseason. They’ve done the opposite of what they’ve said, and said the opposite of what they’ve done. Sigh.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to tululush For This Useful Post:

gcbraves (03-27-2019)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,881 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tululush View Post
    When is the deadline, today or tomorrow? And what time? It’s bordering on nonsensical a this point. Everything AA is doing literally makes no sense. From cutting certain players to save money (Freeman), but keeping certain players in the minors and costing us 3 million (Duvall), to not making any sense in the outfield (Joyce) and possibly playing someone who has zero experience there (Camargo), to not signing any pitching help when we have way too many injuries to start the season. AA has made zero sense this offseason. They’ve done the opposite of what they’ve said, and said the opposite of what they’ve done. Sigh.
    Let it all out big fella.
    Ivermectin Man

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Tapate50 For This Useful Post:

gcbraves (03-27-2019)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    180 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Tapate50 View Post
    Let it all out big fella.
    Lol AA is like the Dan Kolb of GMs. And Duvall, if he remains in the team, is the hitting version of Kolb as well.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,881 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by UNCBlue012 View Post
    Agreed. Unless CK's asking numbers are just astronomical, I'd go ahead and bite. This team desperate needs someone like him. Viz-Minter-Kimbrel is a dirty 7-8-9.
    I think its safe to say that of all the teams that have "engaged" CK's camp, and that he hasn't signed with anyone yet his ask is pretty high.
    Ivermectin Man

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,108 Posts
    I have to agree with this summary of affairs almost 100%. Maybe the plan is so complex we can't possibly understand what's going on.

I will say that there is still time to cut Duvall and save some cash though, so there is a small glimmer of hope that AA rounds out the roster in a logical manner.

The most straightforward solution would have been to grab a RHH 4th OFer like Guyer, and trim away enough fat to afford afford Kimbrel, but AA hasn't exactly spent this off season filling obvious holes with obvious answers. The homer in me is holding out hope that the plan isn't a non-platoon with Matt Joyce in the OF, but I'm running out of ideas.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Enscheff For This Useful Post:

gcbraves (03-27-2019)

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,353 Posts
    The biggest problem with not grabbing a legit 4th OF is injury. Are we sure we want Joyce, camargo, and Culberson Manning RF for a month if Neck pulls a hammy. I don’t. And I sure don’t want Dufail being called up to fill in. I know 4th OF come with certain flaws, but we don’t even have that.
    Coppy

Approaching Buddy Hernandez Territory
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    154 Posts
    Man...DeGrom's new contract has more than 50 million deferred. Why in the heck would he sign that?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    180 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bravesfanMatt View Post
    The biggest problem with not grabbing a legit 4th OF is injury. Are we sure we want Joyce, camargo, and Culberson Manning RF for a month if Neck pulls a hammy. I don’t. And I sure don’t want Dufail being called up to fill in. I know 4th OF come with certain flaws, but we don’t even have that.
    AA is just completely short sighted. I mean if we look at the way AA constructed our team and constructed our off season it's clear to see that that's just his mentality. He paid an aging, oft injured third baseman 23 million and then pretty much closed up shop. He's literally put in the absolute minimum effort across the board. Failed to really do anything after signing Donaldson, failed to upgrade the outfield (hell one could debate he actually made our outfield worse by banking on an aging career year from Muk), failed to do anything with then pen, and failed to do anything when more than half our starters got injured this spring. Does it surprise anyone that he failed to secure a 4th outfielder? Instead he'd rather waste 3 million on a hitter who is so poor he had to be demoted to AAA. He's either blind to talent or he can't swallow his pride about an awful move he made last year. I'd love to be wrong and will admit it if I am, but my g-d he's been absolutely awful at roster constitution/management.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,040 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
    I have to agree with this summary of affairs almost 100%. Maybe the plan is so complex we can't possibly understand what's going on.

I will say that there is still time to cut Duvall and save some cash though, so there is a small glimmer of hope that AA rounds out the roster in a logical manner.

The most straightforward solution would have been to grab a RHH 4th OFer like Guyer, and trim away enough fat to afford afford Kimbrel, but AA hasn't exactly spent this off season filling obvious holes with obvious answers. The homer in me is holding out hope that the plan isn't a non-platoon with Matt Joyce in the OF, but I'm running out of ideas.
    I don't see us cutting Duvall. Optioning him to AAA revealed the plan. They're going to stash him in the minors and give him playing time to "regain his form."

What we're seeing makes perfect sense when you realize that, like many people in high level positions, AA cannot bring himself to admit making a mistake. I'm convinced that AA still 100% believes Duvall is going to return to his 2017 form and show everyone why we traded for him. I think that belief hamstrung us all offseason and kept us from really pursuing an upgrade in the OF.

This is a bad sign for me. GM's will make mistakes. It's when they can't bring themselves to admit their mistakes and understand what sunk cost means that you have problems.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,675 Posts
    Lineups for both teams released:

Ender
    Donaldson
    FF
    Acuna
    Markakis
    Albies
    McCann
    Swanson
    Teheran

Phillies...
    Andrew McCutchen LF
    Jean segura SS
    Bryce Harper RF
    Rhy Hoskins 1b
    JT realmuto C
    Odubel Cabrera CF
    Cesar Hernandez 2b
    Mailel Franco 3b
    Aaron Nola P

We gonna have our hands full this 3-game series

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,360 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by msstate7 View Post
    We gonna have our hands full this 3-game series
    as are the phillies
    "Well, you’ll learn soon enough that this was a massive red wave landslide." - thethe on the 2020 election that trump lost bigly

“I can’t fix my life, but I can fix the world.” - sturg

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,150 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by striker42 View Post
    I don't see us cutting Duvall. Optioning him to AAA revealed the plan. They're going to stash him in the minors and give him playing time to "regain his form."

What we're seeing makes perfect sense when you realize that, like many people in high level positions, AA cannot bring himself to admit making a mistake. I'm convinced that AA still 100% believes Duvall is going to return to his 2017 form and show everyone why we traded for him. I think that belief hamstrung us all offseason and kept us from really pursuing an upgrade in the OF.

This is a bad sign for me. GM's will make mistakes. It's when they can't bring themselves to admit their mistakes and understand what sunk cost means that you have problems.

If the Braves don't need to scrap up cash for an imminent acquisition, then I don't really see the point in cutting Duvall.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,675 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Super View Post
    as are the phillies
    Yep. Should be a good series. No folty and gausman puts us at a disadvantage though

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,990 Posts
    The Braves are No. 8 on ESPN’s first power rankings, ahead of the Nats, Phillies, Mets and Marlins.

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,353 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by UNCBlue012 View Post
    The Braves are No. 8 on ESPN’s first power rankings, ahead of the Nats, Phillies, Mets and Marlins.
    If there is one thing worse than MLB power ranking it is an ESPN power ranking. Those clowns are fools
    Coppy

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    180 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Southcack77 View Post
    If the Braves don't need to scrap up cash for an imminent acquisition, then I don't really see the point in cutting Duvall.
    The bearded closer who's begging us to sign him raises his hand. Lord knows the extra cash laying around can't be used for him bc the Braves would rather put it towards the commercial real estate deals at the battery. Funny thing is by not re-investing it into the team, if we subsequently do worse, we'll draw less fans which will mean less money. Have to spend money to make money. Again, short sighted philosophies.

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,837 Posts
    The bearded closer who's begging us to sign him raises his hand. Lord knows the extra cash laying around can't be used for him bc the Braves would rather put it towards the commercial real estate deals at the battery. Funny thing is by not re-investing it into the team, if we subsequently do worse, we'll draw less fans which will mean less money. Have to spend money to make money. Again, short sighted philosophies.
    If you believe the reports then Duvall has no bearing on signing Kimbrel. It's the Braves willingness to go to a 3rd year.