Results 1,701 to 1,720 of 2907

Thread: Around The Majors 2019

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,108 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by UNCBlue012 View Post
    Shane Greene is 30 years old, and controlled for 2020 if FG is to be believed. He made $4M this year, will be going into Arb for the last time, and has 1 MiLB option remaining.

Nobody with any baseball acumen is fooled by the 1.09 ERA. His xwOBA values since converting from a SP:

2016: .283
    2017: .310
    2018: .322
    2019: .288

He has been much better during those years vs RHH (.286 xwOBA) than LHH (.344 xwOBA), so he should be used accordingly.

He is not an elite BP arm, but he appears to be reliable...at least as reliable as BP arms can be. This would be a fine addition for the right price, but that price isn't very high.

I would still prefer the Braves pay market rate for an elite BP rental (2-3 FV 40s, maybe a 45) and get Smith. Of course, a Greene acquisition doesn't necessarily mean they won't also make a run at Smith.
    Last edited by Enscheff; 07-08-2019 at 02:59 PM.

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Enscheff For This Useful Post:

Jaw (07-09-2019), jpx7 (07-08-2019), UNCBlue012 (07-08-2019)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,533 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
    Shane Greene is 30 years old, and controlled for 2020 if FG is to be believed. He made $4M this year, will be going into Arb for the last time, and has 1 MiLB opton remaining.

Nobody with any baseball acumen is fooled by the 1.09 ERA. His xwOBA values since converting from a SP:

2016: .283
    2017: .310
    2018: .322
    2019: .288

He has been much better during those years vs RHH (.286 xwOBA) than LHH (.344 xwOBA), so he should be used accordingly.

He is not an elite BP arm, but he appears to be reliable...at least as reliable as BP arms can be. This would be a fine addition for the right price, but that price isn't very high.

I would still prefer the Braves pay market rate for an elite BP rental (2-3 FV 40s, maybe a 45) and get Smith. Of course, a Greene acquisition doesn't necessarily mean they won't also make a run at Smith.
    It seems to me there is a better case for acquiring a lefty reliever than a righty. We simply have more options from the right side, including guys like Wilson and Gausman, who have been starting but could end up reliever later this season.
    "I am a victim, I will tell you. I am a victim."

"I am your retribution."

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to nsacpi For This Useful Post:

Jaw (07-09-2019), jpx7 (07-08-2019)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,108 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nsacpi View Post
    It seems to me there is a better case for acquiring a lefty reliever than a righty. We simply have more options from the right side, including guys like Wilson and Gausman, who have been starting but could end up reliever later this season.
    I'm going to guess the rotation ends up as Soroka, DK, Folty, Gausman and Teheran with Fried making spot starts and BP appearances by August.

Assuming Greene is a roughly .280-.290 xwOBA guy if used properly, the only current BP arms as good or better are:

Ynoa (SSS)
    Swarzak
    Jackson
    Dayton (SSS)
    Webb
    Touki
    Newk
    Minter (assuming he's fixed)
    Fried (speculatively in the BP)

There's probably room for two .280 or better BP arms, and in the case of Smith it doesn't matter which hand he throws with...he's elite.

It's a bit cart before the horse, but the Braves are set up really well to pair LHP/RHP against a team like the Dodgers who use platoons so aggressively. Newk opening for Gausman, Fried opening for Folty, Touki opening for DK...those are scenarios that could really mess up the Dodgers extreme platoon tactics.
    Last edited by Enscheff; 07-08-2019 at 03:27 PM.

6. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Enscheff For This Useful Post:

Jaw (07-09-2019), jpx7 (07-08-2019), salmagundy (07-08-2019), UNCBlue012 (07-08-2019)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,675 Posts
    I'm going to guess the rotation ends up as Soroka, DK, Folty, Gausman and Teheran with Fried making spot starts and BP appearances by August.

Assuming Greene is a roughly .280-.290 xwOBA guy if used properly, the only current BP arms as good or better are:

Ynoa (SSS)
    Swarzak
    Jackson
    Dayton (SSS)
    Webb
    Touki
    Newk

There's probably room for two .280 or better BP arms, and in the case of Smith it doesn't matter which hand he throws with...he's elite.

It's also a bit horse before the cart, but the Braves are set up really well to pair LHP/RHP against a team like the Dodgers who use platoons so aggressively. Newk opening for Gausman, Fried opening for Folty, Touki opening for DK...those are scenarios that could really mess up the Dodgers extreme platoon tactics.
    It would most likely cause snit a stroke... the idea of using a guy for an inning or 2 then going to the normal starter. Nevertheless, the strategy is brilliant

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,990 Posts

Ynoa (SSS)
    Swarzak
    Jackson
    Dayton (SSS)
    Webb
    Touki
    Newk

It's also a bit horse before the cart, but the Braves are set up really well to pair LHP/RHP against a team like the Dodgers who use platoons so aggressively. Newk opening for Gausman, Fried opening for Folty, Touki opening for DK...those are scenarios that could really mess up the Dodgers extreme platoon tactics.
    This entire post has me 8=======D. So good.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,108 Posts
    What's extra interesting about the Braves using an opener idea is there's no set number of innings the opener has to go since they are all former SPs.

For example, Newk opening for Gaus. In a traditional opener scenario, the Dodgers would still throw out their usual lineup vs RHP since Gausman would be the "bulk guy". However, if they did that, the Braves could simply let Newk go 3-4 innings and turn the LHH-heavy lineup over 1-2 times with the platoon advantage, most likely handing the game over to Gausman just in time to face Turner.

Or, the Dodgers throw out their usual lineup vs a LHP, and the Braves switch to Gausman early. This would force the Dodgers to either swap out their position players for platoon advantages early, or allow Gausman to face the LHP lineup 2-3 times.

Or, maybe Gaus opens for Newk to ensure he faces Turner in the 1st inning no matter which lineup the Dodgers throw out there. That strategy means Gaus could open several games in the series, and Turner always has to hit vs a RHP in the 1st, and the length of Gausman's outing is determined by which lineup the Dodgers decided to use.

The Braves are uniquely positioned to throw some sort of creative pitching deployment strategy at a team like the Dodgers, and I hope we see it. Of course, that's not something that can be sprung on the players suddenly in the playoffs, so the Braves would need to practice these strategies in September when the rosters expand.
    Last edited by Enscheff; 07-08-2019 at 03:38 PM.

10. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Enscheff For This Useful Post:

cajunrevenge (07-08-2019), Jaw (07-09-2019), JohnAdcox (07-08-2019), jpx7 (07-08-2019), salmagundy (07-08-2019), tomahawkchop (07-08-2019)

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,353 Posts
    God I hope the Braves use an opener in the playoffs. And especially against the dodgers. As cheff pointed out that team is aggressive at using platoon advantages. I just don’t think snit has it in him to be that radical. Look at his vocabulary. Really good is about all he can say.

I think the best strategy for the Dodgers would be to set a more traditional, balanced lineup. Then I ploy there great depth later in the game. It would still be a win for the Braves.
    Coppy

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,533 Posts
    What's extra interesting about the Braves using an opener idea is there's no set number of innings the opener has to go since they are all former SPs.

For example, Newk opening for Gaus. In a traditional opener scenario, the Dodgers would still throw out their usual lineup vs RHP since Gausman would be the "bulk guy". However, if they did that, the Braves could simply let Newk go 3-4 innings and turn the LHH-heavy lineup over 1-2 times with the platoon advantage, most likely handing the game over to Gausman just in time to face Turner.

Or, the Dodgers throw out their usual lineup vs a LHP, and the Braves switch to Gausman early. This would force the Dodgers to either swap out their position players for platoon advantages early, or allow Gausman to face the LHP lineup 2-3 times.

Or, maybe Gaus opens for Newk to ensure he faces Turner in the 1st inning no matter which lineup the Dodgers throw out there. That strategy means Gaus could open several games in the series, and Turner always has to hit vs a RHP in the 1st, and the length of Gausman's outing is determined by which lineup the Dodgers decided to use.

The Braves are uniquely positioned to throw some sort of creative pitching deployment strategy at a team like the Dodgers, and I hope we see it. Of course, that's not something that can be sprung on the players suddenly in the playoffs, so the Braves would need to practice these strategies in September when the rosters expand.
    What makes this a very realistic option is the fact that so many of our pitchers can go 2 or more innings. We can take them out very quickly if the Dodgers (or any other team) flip to opposite handed hitters. But we can also keep them in there for multiple innings if that is what is called for.

"I am your retribution."

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to nsacpi For This Useful Post:

JohnAdcox (07-08-2019), jpx7 (07-08-2019)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    526 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Braves1976 View Post
    They'd have to pass 8 teams to take that second WC. So while 5.5 back might not seem like a lot, expecting the Giants to beat out 8 teams the second half is very unlikely. I have no doubts they are sellers.

Very interesting. I wonder how the Dodgers would prepare for that. Especially because we'd have to announce our starter before the game, which would be the opener. You might end up in a situation where Newcomb faces all righties in the first inning, and would have to consider going to Gausman quickly.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to NYCBrave For This Useful Post:

JohnAdcox (07-09-2019)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,533 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by NYCBrave View Post
    Very interesting. I wonder how the Dodgers would prepare for that. Especially because we'd have to announce our starter before the game, which would be the opener. You might end up in a situation where Newcomb faces all righties in the first inning, and would have to consider going to Gausman quickly.
    We can outflank them though if we have a bunch of pitchers capable of going multiple innings. Which we do.

"I am your retribution."

17. The Following User Says Thank You to nsacpi For This Useful Post:

JohnAdcox (07-09-2019)

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,353 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nsacpi View Post
    We can outflank them though if we have a bunch of pitchers capable of going multiple innings. Which we do.
    We could also let Newk only face one hitter if they deploy all righty lineup then have him start another game. Not sure MLB rules about changing starters for the next game.
    Coppy

19. The Following User Says Thank You to bravesfanMatt For This Useful Post:

Jaw (07-09-2019)

Where's My Cup of Coffee?
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    220 Posts
    We also have Touki, who is essentially a right-handed Newcomb. I have just created Toukomb!

21. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Nerfherders For This Useful Post:

cajunrevenge (07-08-2019), JohnAdcox (07-09-2019)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,709 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bravesfanMatt View Post
    We could also let Newk only face one hitter if they deploy all righty lineup then have him start another game. Not sure MLB rules about changing starters for the next game.

And I guarantee if we did this and beat the Dodgers there would be rule changes immediately following the WS.
    "Donald Trump will serve a second term as president of the United States.

It’s over."

Little Thethe Nov 19, 2020.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,625 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cajunrevenge View Post
    And I guarantee if we did this and beat the Dodgers there would be rule changes immediately following the WS.
    Maybe.
    But anyone who doesn't mind the Dodgers deploying platoon advantage lineups shouldn't mind the Braves using platoon advantage pitchers. And anyone who dislikes those platoon heavy lineups should be happy to see it exploited.
    Go get him!

Founding member of the Whiny Little Bitches and Pricks Club

24. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jaw For This Useful Post:

JohnAdcox (07-09-2019), jpx7 (07-09-2019)

I <3 Ron Paul + gilesfan sturg33's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,757 Posts
    Didn't they change the rule already next year that a pitcher must face 3 batters barring injury?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,481 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sturg33 View Post
    Didn't they change the rule already next year that a pitcher must face 3 batters barring injury?
    Yes.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,974 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sturg33 View Post
    Just the starting pitcher, correct?

I <3 Ron Paul + gilesfan sturg33's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,757 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Carp View Post
    Just the starting pitcher, correct?
    Pretty sure it was all pitchers. Gonna hurt the loogy business

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,675 Posts
    With that new rule, can you change pitcher on 3rd guy with say a 1-0 or 0-1 count?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    510 Posts
    Is there a limit on how often you can fake UCL tears in a season?