Page 33 of 146 FirstFirst ... 2331323334354383133 ... LastLast

Thread: Around The Majors 2019

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,987 Posts
    Geez the Royals starting rotation is putrid. If they had even an average rotation, they'd likely be .500 or better (Pythagorean currently 12-16). Their offense is surprisingly good so far. Hunter Dozier looks like he may be living up to his top prospect hype. Dude is killing the ball so far and he's walking almost as much as he's striking out.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,128 Posts
    MLBTR is keeping tabs on all the 2019-2020 FAs:

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2019/...ankings-2.html

Notes on guys the Braves should be interested in...

Rendon: If Altuve's 5/151 contract is the comp, this is the aisle the Braves should be able to shop in, especially if they go cheap in RF again by picking up the Markakis option. Extending to 6 years might be the deal breaker.

Ozuna: If they decide to let Marakis walk, or decide to pull the trigger on moving Acuna to CF, Ozuna on a 4-5 year deal for $100M+ could make sense.

Donaldson: Bringing JD back for another year wouldn't be the worst thing in the world. Giving him multiple years is probably asking for trouble.

Grandal: This is the #1 guy I wanted this past off season, and he will be atop my wish list again this coming off season. As usual with the Braves (and most modern FOs), the number of years will be the sticking point.

Puig: Who knows, but he is a more budget friendly option in the OF.

10 yr, $185 million Extension
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,492 Posts
    Rendon has to be the top target. I just don’t think Washington lets him walk away, unfortunately. Would love to sign Rendon and then be able to use Austin Riley as a trade chip.

Ozuna and Puig are interesting, but it might come down to how Pache and Waters do this year.

Grandal won’t have the QO attached this year, which makes him even more attractive. Agree he’s a prime target.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,493 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CJ9 View Post
    Rendon has to be the top target. I just don’t think Washington lets him walk away, unfortunately. Would love to sign Rendon and then be able to use Austin Riley as a trade chip.

Ozuna and Puig are interesting, but it might come down to how Pache and Waters do this year.

Grandal won’t have the QO attached this year, which makes him even more attractive. Agree he’s a prime target.
    Might be interested in Ozuna, I’d have to look into it a little more. But I’m out on Puig
    Get off my lawn!

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,128 Posts
    Something to keep in mind for folks who wanted AA to spend big on the BP...

Tim Dierkes
    2:08 Let's run down how the biggest relief contracts have gone so far.
    Britton - 2.45 ERA but 5.7 BB/9
    2:09 Familia - really bad
    Ottavino - 2.51 ERA but 6.9 BB/9
    Kelly - terrible
    2:10 Andrew Miller - bad
    Robertson - bad, on IL

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Enscheff For This Useful Post:

AerchAngel (04-29-2019), Jaw (04-29-2019)

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,363 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post

Tim Dierkes
    Kelly - terrible
    Robertson - bad, on IL
    I said this about three weeks ago. I was one who wanted to make a splash on the FA reliever market. But everyone of the guys I liked have sucked this year. What I don’t understand is not using the guys we have. Wilson was up for a week and mopped a total of 1 in inning. I would really like these guys getting innings while guys like Biddle/venters/sobo get their **** together.
    Coppy

8. The Following User Says Thank You to bravesfanMatt For This Useful Post:

Jaw (04-29-2019)

Secretary of Statistics AerchAngel's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    882 Posts

Tim Dierkes
    Kelly - terrible
    Robertson - bad, on IL
    I don't know what to say. Mining for data, I bow to you. Excellent.

NL Rookie of the Year Acuña’s Bat Flip's Avatar
    Gaffney, South Carolina (Home of the Big Butt "Peach" on I-85)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    280 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bravesfanMatt View Post
    I said this about three weeks ago. I was one who wanted to make a splash on the FA reliever market. But everyone of the guys I liked have sucked this year. What I don’t understand is not using the guys we have. Wilson was up for a week and mopped a total of 1 in inning. I would really like these guys getting innings while guys like Biddle/venters/sobo get their **** together.
    Darren O'Day will be reevaluated tomorrow, RotoWire has his Est. Return as 5/5/2019 although I'm not sure how accurate that guess is.
    FKA Ozzie's Chainz

Quote Originally Posted by thethe View Post
    Got to take the L sometimes.

I've been used to it over the years.
    Braves / Panthers / Lakers / Hornets / Clemson / Duke Basketball

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,625 Posts
    MLBTR is keeping tabs on all the 2019-2020 FAs:

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2019/...ankings-2.html

Notes on guys the Braves should be interested in...

Rendon: If Altuve's 5/151 contract is the comp, this is the aisle the Braves should be able to shop in, especially if they go cheap in RF again by picking up the Markakis option. Extending to 6 years might be the deal breaker.

Ozuna: If they decide to let Marakis walk, or decide to pull the trigger on moving Acuna to CF, Ozuna on a 4-5 year deal for $100M+ could make sense.

Donaldson: Bringing JD back for another year wouldn't be the worst thing in the world. Giving him multiple years is probably asking for trouble.

Grandal: This is the #1 guy I wanted this past off season, and he will be atop my wish list again this coming off season. As usual with the Braves (and most modern FOs), the number of years will be the sticking point.

Puig: Who knows, but he is a more budget friendly option in the OF.
    I like Rendon, but I have trouble believing the Braves are ready to make that big of a yearly commitment for multiple years. I really expect them to either open it up for Riley or try to keep Donaldson for another year or two.

I don't think they'll commit multiple years to an OF with Pache and Waters seemingly options for '20 or '21. I would also be surprised to see a move that locked Acuna into CF on a full time basis. I expect next year's OF to be identical to this one, with the hope that Pache or Waters can replace CF if needed.

I am on the sign Grandal train with you. He made the most sense last year and still does.
    Go get him!

Founding member of the Whiny Little Bitches and Pricks Club

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Jaw For This Useful Post:

buck75 (04-30-2019)

Voted Worst Poster
    '13, '14, '15 (Co-Winner)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,831 Posts
    Given the contracts the Braves have with Ozzie/Acuna, they'll have some money to spend this winter.

I dont envision they'll be in on Grandal, given the contract he'll likely get. Not sure about an outfielder either given Pache/Waters should be ready in the next couple years, maybe even end of 2020.

Rendon makes the most sense, but im not sure AA gives him the contract he's gonna get.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,642 Posts
    former Brave news... ''The Angels have outrighted lefty Sam Freeman, per the team’s transactions page. It is not yet known whether the 31-year-old will accept or reject the assignment to Triple-A; he has the service time to make his own election. Freeman made just one appearance after being selected recently to the MLB roster. He continued to dish out a worrying number of walks, as he had in his initial action at Triple-A.''

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaw View Post
    I like Rendon, but I have trouble believing the Braves are ready to make that big of a yearly commitment for multiple years. I really expect them to either open it up for Riley or try to keep Donaldson for another year or two.

I don't think they'll commit multiple years to an OF with Pache and Waters seemingly options for '20 or '21. I would also be surprised to see a move that locked Acuna into CF on a full time basis. I expect next year's OF to be identical to this one, with the hope that Pache or Waters can replace CF if needed.

I am on the sign Grandal train with you. He made the most sense last year and still does.
    Not sure I agree there. With the DH on the horizon, the OF could be rotated through to create days off for health and keeping guys fresher.

Ideally for me Donaldson gets a QO and passes, opening the door for Riley. With Donaldson, Julio, O'Day, Vizcaino, Venters, Duvall, and potentially Ender off the books, commitments will be back to next to nothing again. I'd love to see Kimbrel added after the draft this year, with Riley promoted following the season since he has to be added to the 40-Man Roster anyway. Then add Ozuna and Grandal over the winter. That'd give you...

2B- Ozzie, CF- Acuna, 1B- Freddie, LF- Ozuna, C- Grandal, 3B- Riley, RF- Markakis, SS- Dansby

Flowers, Camargo, Culberson, OF that can backup Acuna in CF if Pache and/or Waters haven't forced themselves onto the roster

Once the DH starts, you could give Ozuna a 2-3 starts a week there with Grandal getting the other ones (and each potentially available to give Freddie a day off once in a while) while creating playing time for Flowers and Pache/Waters.
    Last edited by clvclv; 04-30-2019 at 07:54 AM.
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

NL Rookie of the Year CrazyTrain's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    191 Posts
    I drafted Verlander as my 2nd SP in fantasy this year (behind Scherzer) and I can't believe how good he's been in his age 36 season. Impressive.

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,965 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by clvclv View Post
    Not sure I agree there. With the DH on the horizon, the OF could be rotated through to create days off for health and keeping guys fresher.

Ideally for me Donaldson gets a QO and passes, opening the door for Riley. With Donaldson, Julio, O'Day, Vizcaino, Venters, Duvall, and potentially Ender off the books, commitments will be back to next to nothing again. I'd love to see Kimbrel added after the draft this year, with Riley promoted following the season since he has to be added to the 40-Man Roster anyway. Then add Ozuna and Grandal over the winter. That'd give you...

2B- Ozzie, CF- Acuna, 1B- Freddie, LF- Ozuna, C- Grandal, 3B- Riley, RF- Markakis, SS- Dansby

Flowers, Camargo, Culberson, OF that can backup Acuna in CF if Pache and/or Waters haven't forced themselves onto the roster

Once the DH starts, you could give Ozuna a 2-3 starts a week there with Grandal getting the other ones (and each potentially available to give Freddie a day off once in a while) while creating playing time for Flowers and Pache/Waters.
    Good point on the DH. Don't know if it will shake out exactly the way you predict, but getting an established bat that can play some in the field has to be part of the calculation.

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 50PoundHead For This Useful Post:

clvclv (04-30-2019), jpx7 (04-30-2019)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,360 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CrazyTrain View Post
    I drafted Verlander as my 2nd SP in fantasy this year (behind Scherzer) and I can't believe how good he's been in his age 36 season. Impressive.
    MadBum 3rd?
    "Well, you’ll learn soon enough that this was a massive red wave landslide." - thethe on the 2020 election that trump lost bigly

“I can’t fix my life, but I can fix the world.” - sturg

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,128 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Super View Post
    MadBum 3rd?
    He actually drafted Fried and Newk late in his draft, and then flipped them for MadBum...and extended him for 6 more years.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,508 Posts

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,854 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CyYoung31 View Post
    MLB changed the baseball and it's effecting pitchers

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,128 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thewupk View Post
    MLB changed the baseball and it's effecting pitchers
    Doesn’t explain why SPs are better than RPs.

The calculus will start to change again when it’s pretty obvious a tiring Soroka facing the lineup a 3rd time is better than a worn down and/or ineffective BP arm facing the same batters.

24. The Following User Says Thank You to Enscheff For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (04-30-2019)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,537 Posts
    The adjustment that might be happening is hitters are adjusting to the velocity and sitting fastball. Starters have more than a fastball. A lot of relievers don't.

I'm thinking hitters are now spending more time in the cage hitting against a machine set at 100 mph. That's what they are geared up for. The relievers may be responding by trying to throw more off-speed stuff but too many of them don't have an off-speed pitch they can throw for strikes.

It was nice to see Blevins throw those curves against Hosmer last night. And Tomlin before him throwing strikes and mixing pitches. I'm wondering if the pendulum swings back to those kinds of relievers.
    Last edited by nsacpi; 04-30-2019 at 02:35 PM.
    "I am a victim, I will tell you. I am a victim."

"I am your retribution."

26. The Following User Says Thank You to nsacpi For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (04-30-2019)