Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Preparing for the Cards in the NLDS

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,108 Posts

Preparing for the Cards in the NLDS

It's looking like the Cards are going to be the Braves opponent in the NLDS beginning October 3rd. They are much closer in true talent to the Braves than their actual records indicate. The Braves have been about 7-8 wins "lucky" this year based on higher order winning percentages, while the Cards have had pretty much neutral luck. If the Braves are a true talent 90-91 win team, the Cards are a true talent 89-90 win team. This should be a very evenly matched series.

Due to the parity of this series, the Braves must be gunning for every small advantage they can get.

The first step is to look for advantages against the Cards' offense. Luckily this is a team that starts the same RHH-heavy lineup everyday regardless of opposing pitcher (xwOBA vs RHP/LHP):

RF Fowler (S): .342/.320
    2B Wong (L): .308/.295
    1B Goldy (R): .347/.441
    LF Ozuna (R): .377/.373
    SS DeJong (R): .329/.310
    C Molina (R): .306/.346
    3B Edman (S): .312/.321
    CF Bader (R): .327/.296

BN Martinez (R): .330/.414
    BN Carpenter (L): .323/.344

Overall: .316/.330

First thing to note is the Cards insist on putting a terrible hitter in the 2 spot like dinosaurs, so that's nice for the Braves. Dealing with Wong should not be a major issue for planning purposes.

The issues that immediately jump off the page are that Goldy should never face a LHP in a high leverage situation, and Ozuna should probably be pitched around in almost all important situations.

Martinez looms on the bench as a LHP killer, so he can not be allowed to bat with the platoon advantage ever. He is the Cards trump card, so his presence must be accounted for in every pitching move the Braves make. They will undoubtedly be looking to get him a PA late in the game with men on base vs one of the Braves many RHP in the BP.

The Cards don't really present a good option for an opener or piggy backing opposite handed SPs, so the Braves should just throw their best SPs at them and be mindful of pulling them early (assuming DK, Soroka, Fried, Folty in some order, but I can see the argument for getting Teheran in there).

For example, it may not make sense to let DK or Fried face Goldy even a 2nd time in a high leverage situation. If Goldy comes up for his 2nd PA in a low leverage spot, they can probably allow DK/Fried to face him and then hopefully also get through Fowler/Wong a 3rd time if the pitch counts are low. If Molina comes up for his 2nd PA in a high leverage spot, the Braves probably need to go to a RHP out of the BP.

Folty and Soroka should be allowed to go through the order 2x, and should be replaced if Fowler comes up a 3rd time in a high leverage spot. This is where Blevins and/or Newk are going to earn their postseason roster spots...getting out Fowler in key situations and neutralizing Martinez' impact off the bench.

In all, the Braves should be able to platoon match up their way through this lineup, and then hope Goldy/Ozuna don't take over a game all by themselves. The Braves seem to have much more potent offensive weapons, so if they step up I like their chances in this series.
    Last edited by Enscheff; 09-23-2019 at 04:22 PM.

2. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Enscheff For This Useful Post:

50PoundHead (09-23-2019), Dalyn (09-24-2019), JohnAdcox (09-25-2019), jpx7 (09-23-2019), NYCBrave (09-23-2019), salmagundy (09-23-2019), TURBO (09-23-2019), UNCBlue012 (09-24-2019)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,533 Posts
    We do have a favorable platoon matchup against the Cards. Especially all the right handed relievers in our pen. We have a little bit of a weakness when it comes to lefty relievers. But that should not be an issue in this series.

The Cards pen also is a bit short in terms of lefty relievers. I think one thing we have to try be careful about is going Markakis, Joyce, McCann. If they bring in Andrew Miller (or their other lefty Tyler Webb) in a high leverage situation, I know Snit will let Markakis hit and possibly pinch hit for Joyce. I hope he will be proactive in using Duvall in those situations.
    "I am a victim, I will tell you. I am a victim."

"I am your retribution."

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,108 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nsacpi View Post
    We do have a favorable platoon matchup against the Cards. Especially all the right handed relievers in our pen. We have a little bit of a weakness when it comes to lefty relievers. But that should not be an issue in this series.

The Cards pen also is a bit short in terms of lefty relievers. I think one thing we have to try be careful about is going Markakis, Joyce, McCann. If they bring in Andrew Miller (or their other lefty Tyler Webb) in a high leverage situation, I know Snit will let Markakis hit and possibly pinch hit for Joyce. I hope he will be proactive in using Duvall in those situations.
    That's exactly what the Cards will do to the Braves since every starting lineup will have Freeman, Markakis, Joyce and Mac somewhere 3-8. They will be able to castrate the middle of the Braves order 2 innings every game with Miller, and the only counter the Braves will have is Duvall and one of Flowers/Cervelli...maybe Riley.

When Miller comes in to face all those LHHs, Snit must be ready to counter with Duvall/Flowers/Cervelli as a PHer, and possibly Hamilton as a PRer if a catcher gets on base. JD and Swanson getting on vs Miller to create one of those high leverage PAs for Duvall/Flowers/Cervelli could very well be a key to one or more of the games.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Enscheff For This Useful Post:

JohnAdcox (09-25-2019), jpx7 (09-23-2019)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    526 Posts
    I'm curious to see how our lineup will be constructed, and how our catchers are deployed in the series since all of their starters are righty.

We know what the batting order 1-5 will be. But will Snit move Swanson up in the order to break up all of the lefties in a row?

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,360 Posts
    such a shame Snit will insist on markakis every day and batting him 5th. it will cost them
    "Well, you’ll learn soon enough that this was a massive red wave landslide." - thethe on the 2020 election that trump lost bigly

“I can’t fix my life, but I can fix the world.” - sturg

8. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Super For This Useful Post:

Braves1976 (09-23-2019), goldfly (09-23-2019), jpx7 (09-23-2019), UNCBlue012 (09-24-2019)

NL Rookie of the Year
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    239 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Super View Post
    such a shame Snit will insist on markakis every day and batting him 5th. it will cost them
    yeah...that's another thing, and upstairs is not going to fight this either. Markakis will bat 5th and he will be treated like Freddie vs LHP, never being removed. Joyce will get taken down, but with Snitker, it's too far for him to understand that while Nick is great in the clubhouse, he can get taken down vs LHP instead of him continuing to play and fight to the death.
    Aggression with prospects is fine, but being stupid is not. There should be a way to find a happy medium between a Pirates like idea of being overly cautious with prospects and going stupidly fast with prospects.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,533 Posts
    Fortunately Miller is not the Miller of a few years ago. But it is still likely that Snit will have to make some decisions when they go to a lefty.

"I am your retribution."

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,837 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Super View Post
    Not in the division series

if my thought dreams could be seen goldfly's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,262 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thewupk View Post
    what are you seeing that would make you think otherwise?
    "For there is always light, if only we are brave enough to see it. If only we are brave enough to be it." Amanda Gorman

"When Fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross"

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,360 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thewupk View Post
    uh yeah i doubt you're right. but i sure hope you are.

oh, you mean it won't cost them in the division series. i'm not sure i even agree with that. Neck is bad.
    "Well, you’ll learn soon enough that this was a massive red wave landslide." - thethe on the 2020 election that trump lost bigly

“I can’t fix my life, but I can fix the world.” - sturg

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,837 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by goldfly View Post
    what are you seeing that would make you think otherwise?
    Cards don't have a lefty starter.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,533 Posts
    Hech or Bae at short?

"I am your retribution."

Where's My Cup of Coffee?
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    220 Posts
    You guys are way overthinking this. Every game we play comes down to 5 guys - the first 4 guys in the lineup and the SP. If those guys are going, we will win, and if not, we probably won't. It's kind of a shame they don't have a lefty starter, it turns our 2-hole hitter from an .800 OPS guy to 1.000.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,108 Posts
    Folks are basing Hech over Swanson based on 63 PAs where Hech's .350 BABIP is 50 points over his career mark, and his wOBA/xwOBA delta of .033 is tied with Flowers for 2nd luckiest on the team since he joined the team (Joyce with a crazy lucky .048 mark).

Meanwhile, Swanson has been bad, but his -.082 is the unluckiest mark on the team over that span by a very large margin. His BABIP in September is unsustainable in a good way at .216.

Competent teams don't make lineup decisions based on 60-70 PA sample sizes. If Swanson is healthy, he is the SS for the Atlanta Braves.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Enscheff For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (09-25-2019)

Making Atlanta Great Again!
    #MAGA!

Promises MADE, Promises KEPT!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,746 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
    Folks are basing Hech over Swanson based on 63 PAs where Hech's .350 BABIP is 50 points over his career mark, and his wOBA/xwOBA delta of .033 is tied with Flowers for 2nd luckiest on the team since he joined the team (Joyce with a crazy lucky .048 mark).

Meanwhile, Swanson has been bad, but his -.082 is the unluckiest mark on the team over that span by a very large margin. His BABIP in September is unsustainable in a good way at .216.

Competent teams don't make lineup decisions based on 60-70 PA sample sizes. If Swanson is healthy, he is the SS for the Atlanta Braves.
    you got baited
    Forever Fredi

20. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to The Chosen One For This Useful Post:

Garmel (09-24-2019), jpx7 (09-25-2019)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,533 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Nerfherders View Post
    You guys are way overthinking this. Every game we play comes down to 5 guys - the first 4 guys in the lineup and the SP. If those guys are going, we will win, and if not, we probably won't. It's kind of a shame they don't have a lefty starter, it turns our 2-hole hitter from an .800 OPS guy to 1.000.
    Mark Lemke and Francisco Cabrera say hi. So does Lonnie Smith.

"I am your retribution."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,881 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nsacpi View Post
    Mark Lemke and Francisco Cabrera say hi. So does Lonnie Smith.
    SSS.

Besides, everyone knows the most important guys on the team are the ones that can get Acuna ABs with men on. I'm looking at the 7-9 guys.
    Ivermectin Man

23. The Following User Says Thank You to Tapate50 For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (09-25-2019)

NL Rookie of the Year
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    239 Posts
    There's a chance that Dansby doesn't start if he doesn't have a good week this week. He's better than Hech, but he might simply not be himself (even if his luck has been porous). Shouldn't have rushed him back from injury.
    Aggression with prospects is fine, but being stupid is not. There should be a way to find a happy medium between a Pirates like idea of being overly cautious with prospects and going stupidly fast with prospects.

Arbitration Eligible Freshmaker's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    521 Posts
    Looking forward to being able to throw more ketchup bottles onto the field

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,881 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by GeorgiaGirl View Post
    There's a chance that Dansby doesn't start if he doesn't have a good week this week. He's better than Hech, but he might simply not be himself (even if his luck has been porous). Shouldn't have rushed him back from injury.
    I think there is a zero percent chance Bae sits for Hech.
    Ivermectin Man

27. The Following User Says Thank You to Tapate50 For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (09-25-2019)